Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
For an example of a mini that used water-soluble oil wash, my last month's oath is here (ignore the short story, it was part of the oath for that month)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3472649&userid=63350&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post404874497

Though that might not be a great example since that mini used regular washes, weathering pigments, AND a final oil wash, so it can be hard to see what is what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Hey Goons, I'm trying to strip some miniatures down in Dettol which I've done in the past with no problems but am having issues with two of my PP plastic minis.

Normally after being in dettol for 24hrs+ the paint just flakes off, but it's sort of started sticking to the model like gunk and I'm really struggling to remove it. Is there something on PP minis that makes stripping paint trickier or is it the dettol? I tried searching online and hadn't found anyone else with this issue but wondered if someone had here.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

Sab669 posted:

Oh I don't know, I just know a guy I used to go to highschool with who was amazing at art now casts / moulds masks to be used on-set in movies.

Something like this is what he does;

OH! Movie masks. Of course. :doh:

MalkSticks posted:

Would you be willing to take commissions sometime? I'd definitely pony up some cash for a custom molding of something.
I'd really, really like a little plastic model of the Heavy Tank from Red Alert, for instance. :haw:

Also, I doubt anyone remembers but I posted in here desperately asking for help a while ago, well I finally got some models primed up and ready to paint. Has anyone taken a picture of a primed model recently, preferably in white? I want to take a look and see if I got good coverage or not. They look fine to me, but considering I still know very little about this stuff, I may as well make sure.
I am interested in commissions. Haven't modeled a tank yet but I suppose I could give it a go as it is on my "to do" list. I'll need to get in touch with a casting service to figure out the costs but if you are interested you may PM, email or reply and we'll sort it out.

The Supreme Court posted:

I'd definitely be interested if you decide to cast a few of your miniatures and can do it for a reasonable price, your work is awesome!

I hope it might come true sometime soon. I'll probably cast the busts first, if it's technically possible with my current set up. (experiment is in progress :ssh:)

Our regularly scheduled update.

Another face. Much more pleasing. Still some things to sort out but I'll just do more practice faces. The brass bit is going to be the cap's bill.

Baked busts.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
^^^^
Look into a 3-D scanner, and check out https://www.shapeways.com for their pricing on 3-D printing. It might actually be cheaper for you, at least starting out, to go that route than to get set up with a proper mold/cast setup. Plus, everything is on-demand: simply send customers to your Shapeways webpage, they will print it out and send it directly to them, which means smaller overhead and no waste product on your part.

Sykic posted:

I think I have the hang of everything else (unless someone sees something I could do better), it's just that cloth that's bugging me.

Cloth looks like flesh, which is suitably Dark Eldar, so that's pretty good. If you're really wanting to push the contrast, try putting some sepia wash into the recesses of the deepest folds.

Aside from that, it's looks pretty good, but I do feel the silver metallic areas are a bit flat. It might be the photo itself, but I don't see a whole lot of shading or highlighting going on there. If you want to add some depth and tie the silver parts with the armor, try doing a light wash of blue or purple to add some color cohesion and depth.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Fyrbrand posted:

Black base rims are the superior choice, as long as they're painted and not bare plastic. Don't listen to his shameful lies.

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

Graveyard Earth must be the colour of your rims.

Don[t listen to them, go the horrible way of Goblin Green!

Pilgrimski
Apr 23, 2008
Based up my next 'Jack, here's a shot of them all.

Also working on a war altar conversion:

I shaved the Griffon and he went from shaved to technicolour, but I think that's a little too fabulous for a war altar :p

I used similar techniques for the War Machine bases to turn it into this:

I think that came out pretty well, need to work on the rest of the model now.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Here's a thing.

lovely light makes the white look even shittier, ugh.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Fyrbrand posted:

Here's a thing.

lovely light makes the white look even shittier, ugh.

It's horrible, start over, waste of talent, etc.

Honestly not a fan of that drab gray for the front arc on the base; it's a large, open area that draws the eye to it and away from the model. Well, my eyes at least. Try breaking it up a bit with some freehand white lines or something would be the only thing I'd change about them: they are otherwise fantastic.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Flipswitch posted:

Hey Goons, I'm trying to strip some miniatures down in Dettol which I've done in the past with no problems but am having issues with two of my PP plastic minis.

Normally after being in dettol for 24hrs+ the paint just flakes off, but it's sort of started sticking to the model like gunk and I'm really struggling to remove it. Is there something on PP minis that makes stripping paint trickier or is it the dettol? I tried searching online and hadn't found anyone else with this issue but wondered if someone had here.

Use a toothbrush and scrub the gently caress out of them.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Silhouette posted:

Use a toothbrush and scrub the gently caress out of them.

Yep. Get some washing up liquid in there, too. I've found Dettol usually does that, particularly on minis which have been properly primed.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Another thing to do is have a small cup of dettol and blue windex mixed together on the side, and dip/rinse your toothbrush in that before and after you scrub the model.

I tried using tamiya x-20a instead of windex but it would make the paint all stringy and sticky, so dont use that.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Alright cheers dudes I'll give that a shot today.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

I got to visit my uncle who is pretty serious in the world of model trains this last week. Is this an ok thread for a huge model train image dump?

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sole.Sushi posted:

It's horrible, start over, waste of talent, etc.

Honestly not a fan of that drab gray for the front arc on the base; it's a large, open area that draws the eye to it and away from the model. Well, my eyes at least. Try breaking it up a bit with some freehand white lines or something would be the only thing I'd change about them: they are otherwise fantastic.

Thanks man. I get what you mean about the gray. When I first started painting Cygnar many moons ago, I came up with that but now have no idea why. I probably should change the color but then I'd have to redo all their bases, then reseal them since they tend to get beaten up, and just ughh. :effort:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

CyberLord XP posted:

I got to visit my uncle who is pretty serious in the world of model trains this last week. Is this an ok thread for a huge model train image dump?

Man, I love model trains, but the context of this thread (that is, in this forum) means it's more about models that are used for playing games, and not trains, airplanes, rockets, or whatever, right?

Maybe a model train thread would go better in GBS or I don't know where else.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

JerryLee posted:

Man, I love model trains, but the context of this thread (that is, in this forum) means it's more about models that are used for playing games, and not trains, airplanes, rockets, or whatever, right?

Maybe a model train thread would go better in GBS or I don't know where else.

There is a scale modelling thread in DIY where man they do some pretty cool stuff.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Be kind to me- Ive never painted figures in this style before being a terrible old historical wargaming grognard, and these were quick paint jobs to keep my son happy.

From a boardgame called Super Dungeon Explore.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
Here is a NOSTALGIA SOAKED BLAST FROM THE PAST for me, my old Car Wars demo conversions:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Are those GW Dark Future pedestrians? My eight year old self just exploded.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Ye Worse User-name posted:

There is a scale modelling thread in DIY where man they do some pretty cool stuff.
And they've confirmed it's OK to throw scale trains in there too. Knock yourself out.

(going there now to watch the image spam)

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Winson_Paine posted:

Here is a NOSTALGIA SOAKED BLAST FROM THE PAST for me, my old Car Wars demo conversions:

The question that needs to be asked is:

Why are you still playing with little cars "Why doesn't the yellow cab have spiked bumper and a huge-rear end minigun on top?" :colbert: Yes I played Quarantine way too much shut up

(also, can I have the source for conversions?)

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 8, 2012

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Pierzak posted:

The question that needs to be asked is:

Why are you still playing with little cars "Why doesn't the yellow cab have spiked bumper and a huge-rear end minigun on top?" :colbert: Yes I played Quarantine way too much shut up

(also, can I have the source for conversions?)

Some of them are from an ancient GW game called Dark Future; I believe all the minis are from that line. The rest are either matchbox cars with bits from the DF box included or stuff I scavanged from my 40k bits box. Honestly I put those together like 15 years ago so it has been awhile.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

moths posted:

Are those GW Dark Future pedestrians? My eight year old self just exploded.

Yeah, I love those things. I still have a bunch of unpainted motorcycles from DF somewhere.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

Serotonin posted:

Be kind to me- Ive never painted figures in this style before being a terrible old historical wargaming grognard, and these were quick paint jobs to keep my son happy.

These are nice. That barbarian is REALLY surprised at the damage she is outputting.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I said it in the other thread, and i'll say it here, those are brilliant.

I wants me a set for D&D. Roughly how big are they? Could you take a photo with some kind of scale indicator please?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

thespaceinvader posted:

I said it in the other thread, and i'll say it here, those are brilliant.

I wants me a set for D&D. Roughly how big are they? Could you take a photo with some kind of scale indicator please?

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Winson_Paine posted:

Some of them are from an ancient GW game called Dark Future; I believe all the minis are from that line. The rest are either matchbox cars with bits from the DF box included or stuff I scavanged from my 40k bits box. Honestly I put those together like 15 years ago so it has been awhile.

I like to think that one day when the LotR and Hobbit licences are done with GW will release a new version of Dark Future.

And it will be glorious.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Some more :ghost: Grey Knights :ghost:

All of them so far.

My Crowe stand in.

My favorite pose so far.

And bonus storage/transport solution photo. :v:

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

I will never not hate people that can paint fast.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Sole.Sushi posted:

I will never not hate people that can paint fast.
What's painting fast?

I'd say that's good progress for 8 days of painting :v:

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Serotonin posted:

I'm painting up a set of that myself! I think the sculptors did a neat job, albeit sometimes it doesn't translate so well from concept to mini.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

SRM posted:

What's painting fast?

I'd say that's good progress for 8 days of painting :v:

Drill yer barrels. :pcgaming:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Devlan Mud posted:

Drill yer barrels. :pcgaming:

I normally do, but I would need a goddamn mining drill to bore out those loving heavy bolters.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
What should I paint next? There is too much poo poo on my desk:

Rangers

Black 13

Gorax

Gallows Groves

Cyclone

Hooray for working next to a printing press so I find little knobs and stuff to turn into basing fodder!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Your Cyclone has a defender head :colbert:

CowOnCrack
Sep 26, 2004

by R. Guyovich
This is my first post in this thread. I've been playing Warhammer 40k on and off for awhile. The first time I played was around when 2nd Ed became 3rd Ed, playing Eldar. I was a young teenager and all my models looked like poo poo. I started Imperial Guard around 4th Ed. Around 5th Ed I impulsively decided I hated my painting scheme and stripped all the paint with Simple Green. I'm about 1/3 of the way through re-painting my army to reflect a German WWI Uniform look.

Unfortunately I have no personal means of taking pictures and putting them on a computer - my phone is a primitive piece of poo poo.

Well after that introduction, now a random question. I play Steel Legion Guard and unfortunately there are no models with Flamers or Meltaguns, and Meltas are pretty important weapons these days it seems. What would be an easy hassle-free way to convert some guys to have these weapons?

A big concern of course is what the cheapest option is to get Melta/Flamer bits. I see Flamer bitz on battlewagonbitz for $1.99 each, and GW's web page has 5 meltaguns for $8. Are there any better deals out there?

Thanks for the help and I hope I'll be able to put up some pictures soon.

SRM posted:

What's painting fast?

<lots of sexy models>

Nice, can't wait to see more 40K Imperial Guard in this bitch.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

S.J. posted:

Your Cyclone has a defender head :colbert:

A. Looks cooler
2. gently caress you

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
My attempt at a moonlit base for my Terrorgheist. This is stage one. I still have other scenic stuff to add like vegetation, some water effects here and there etc. This is just the basic base painted washed using oil paints.

Not sure if it's too dark. According to the peeps in #tinypewtermen, moonlight isn't that bright, despite what Hollywood says.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Edit: Apologies for the crap photo. I am limited in the kinds of pictures I can take due to the crappiness of my camera.

The Dark Project fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 9, 2012

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

crime fighting hog posted:

What should I paint next? There is too much poo poo on my desk:

Black 13

Hooray for working next to a printing press so I find little knobs and stuff to turn into basing fodder!

The Black 13 guys are such cool models I'm genuinely thinking about getting some Warmachine after your post :ohdear:

The Dark Project posted:

My attempt at a moonlit base for my Terrorgheist. This is stage one. I still have other scenic stuff to add like vegetation, some water effects here and there etc. This is just the basic base painted washed using oil paints.

Not sure if it's too dark. According to the peeps in #tinypewtermen, moonlight isn't that bright, despite what Hollywood says.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Edit: Apologies for the crap photo. I am limited in the kinds of pictures I can take due to the crappiness of my camera.
I like the base as is! What colour and how bright are you planning to paint the terrorgheist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

The Dark Project posted:

Thoughts, suggestions?

A dark wash in the recesses might help out. The colours are nice but there's been a loss of definition between parts and a loss of shadows.

I don't know if this would come in handy for any models your going to put on it but I like the tutorial so oh well! I haven't had an excuse to make anyone else read it yet.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/articles/1691-twilit-skeleton-guide

• Locked thread