Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Yeah, that's like the ideal challenge here. Let it stand, someone should get it soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I had this just 3 pages ago, so it shouldnt be hard for anyone

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Safety Dance, since you were the first, but decided to pass, you call the winner. The winner can be you if you so choose

Even BETTER

I've got this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ng0yS_Jl5I

Of course that sign was made up in Hollywood and the city behind it is not actually Port Washington. The population was correct for the time though. And no, there is no rollercoaster on the shore of Lake Michigan in Port Washington.

Also, Screech from Saved by the Bell lives in Port Washington. :allears:

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

In a ketchup factory. A sexy ketchup factory.
Oh I thought we were scrapping the "Welcome To" one in favor of a better half-age-bike shot. This one rocks. Carry on then!

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Mao posted:

Anyway.... If this counts...

:siren: Your bike next to a 'Welcome to ...' sign :siren:

The bigger the border the better. If its a Welcome to (insert Country) you win. If its a state or province border, good enough too. If its welcome to some major city, eh. If the sign looks good sure. If its welcome to my small little burrough of 500, please try harder :)

This don't count because it's 5 years old, but thought I'd share. It got bought for an article in the Wall Street Journal magazine a couple years ago for a feature they did on obscure/remote border crossings.

Vietnam/Laos by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

As soon as I got over to the Laos side the road turned to mud :v:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I passed about 7 "Welcome to" signs today but they were pretty dull (Welcome to Virginia, woo) and highway speeds made it inconvenient to stop for a photo op. If for some reason this is still a thing by Thursday I'll try to get the Mason-Dixon line.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

In the immortal words of Jermaine and Luda,
"Welcome to Atlanta where the playas play
And we ride on them things like every day
Big beats, hit streets, see gangsta's roamin'
And parties dont stop til' eight in the mornin'"

Founded as a rail hub and burnt to the ground during the American Civil War, Atlanta has grown to be the largest city in the American Southeast and the 9th largest MSA in America with 5.26 million residents. This humble sign sits in a little park on the south side of Ponce de Leon Ave. I wanted to get a picture of this sign:

but So So Def Records had to take it down a few years ago due to Jermaine Dupri liking to spend money.

Your next challenge:
:siren:Show me something associated with a song!:siren:
If you're in Detroit, go visit 8 Mile Rd. If you're in Massachusetts, show me Theresa's Stockbridge Cafe (formerly Alice's Restaurant). Get creative!

If you're in Kansas, you get a pass because Kansas sucks. You can take a picture of anything and have it count for Kansas.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Bah! "Dust in the wind" is easy for anybody in Kansas :v:

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

I have had people walk out on me before, but not... when I was being so charming.

clutchpuck posted:

Bah! "Dust in the wind" is easy for anybody in Kansas :v:

Or any song by the band Kansas.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Safety Dance posted:

Your next challenge:
:siren:Show me something associated with a song!:siren:
If you're in Detroit, go visit 8 Mile Rd. If you're in Massachusetts, show me Theresa's Stockbridge Cafe (formerly Alice's Restaurant). Get creative!

First:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWnfYJEypRE
We stopped at Taco Bell for some Mexican eatin'
But Taco Bell was closed the girls was on my tip
They said go back the other way we'll stop and eat at Dick's
Dick's is the place were the cool hang out
The swass like to play and the rich flaunt clout
Posse to he burger stand so big we walk in twos
Were gettin dirty looks from those other sucka crews

Second:

This is the actual Dick's in the song/video, on Broadway near Denny in Seattle's Capitol Hill neighborhood. The Taco Bell doesn't exist anymore.

Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is
:siren: your bike in front of a donut shop with a donut (the donut must be visible on the bike) :siren:

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 6, 2012

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

This is the actual Dick's in the song/video, on Broadway near Denny in Seattle's Capitol Hill neighborhood. The Taco Bell doesn't exist anymore.

You're the best, Gay Nudist Dad.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Bonus points if the donut is on your handlebar? (Handlebar through hole)

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

SaNChEzZ posted:

Bonus points if the donut is on your handlebar? (Handlebar through hole)

If that's the cleverest thing you can come up with, but I think you can do better.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is
:siren: your bike in front of a donut shop with a donut (the donut must be visible on the bike) :siren:

Of course my bike is dead right now. I work in a donut shop on Mondays.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Is a Patisserie acceptable?

:chord: My island is terribly middle class and wouldn't allow anything so crass as a donut shop.

Mao
Apr 18, 2007

Just cause I couldn't pass this one up...

I was testing the load on my bike before starting my ride to St. Louis and I just couldn't pass up stopping at the Krispy Kreme on Bragg Blvd in Fayetteville NC. Its a rather... colorful town, full of very interesting people (I loving hate this town.) Home to Ft. Bragg and the 82d Airborne, its full of interesting people (all wearing Affliction or Tap-out brand tshirts) who are fascinating to talk to (generally dicks) and is just the classic example of everything a military town aspires to be. Btw, its nickname is FayetteNam. For a reason. But, I present...

For those of you from the north and are used to Dunkin's variety of donuts, that have kinda a solid, heavy feel to them, let me introduce Krispy Kreme. Krispy Kremes are pure sugar, glazed with sugar, and quite often filled with a confection of sugar as well. That one glazed donut I ate literally melted before I could swallow it. Pretty tasty, and possibly also singlehandedly responsible for obesity in the south.

:siren: Your bike in front of your favorite local sports stadium. Explain why its your favorite :siren:

For instance....

This is the Crown Coliseum. Home to the wonderful Fayetteville Fireantz (yes, its spelled with a Z)

http://www.fireantzhockey.com/

The Fireantz are possibly the worst team in SPHL (Thats the Southern Professional Hockey League, yes it exists). Near the end of last season they were in dead last, but are some of the most fun I've had watching games in a long time. In the couple games I've gone too, I've seen two goalie fights break out, and we had one fight that was broken up, the combatants sent to the penalty box. About 30 seconds later, the scorers booth had to be evacuated as the two fighters were literally climbing over the glass of the penalty boxes to get at each other, hurling gloves sticks and whatever else was handy back and forth. After being ejected from the game, the Fayetteville player bought a ticket and reentered the game to sit behind the opposing bench giving them a 'critique' of their game. Needless to say, this didn't last long before his coach found out and got him out of the stands before he was suspended. :)

Ahh... minor league sports ;)

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Eight-douche is almost as bad as the marines when it comes to having a huge ego to go along with a poo poo job and unit. Congrats dude, you learned how to fall out of an airplane. You're pretty special for passing a course with a lower attrition rate than most high schools.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slim Pickens posted:

Eight-douche is almost as bad as the marines when it comes to having a huge ego to go along with a poo poo job and unit. Congrats dude, you learned how to fall out of an airplane. You're pretty special for passing a course with a lower attrition rate than most high schools.

What is the attrition rate, exactly? I remember seeing a poster years ago claiming that across the whole USA, high school trajectories sort of split evenly into four paths: 25% to university, 25% to community college, 25% straight into the workforce, and 25% drop out before graduating.

I'm surprised if 75% of the people who enter the airborne corps pass it. I'd heard it was supposed to be super hard.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
When I went through, the biggest reason for failure was physical. The most 'challenging' part of the PT test was to hold a pullup in the up position for 10 seconds or something. I think only one or two women failed it, which is dumb since you shouldn't be sent there unless you can for-sure pass it. We lost a few others due to jump refusals, maybe an injury or two, but I think we still had around a 90% graduation rate. It's not hard, just kinda scary and dangerous.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Jumping out of a plane is far less scary than having to live in Fayettevile

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Gillette Stadium, home of the New England Patriots:

While I'm not a particularly large football fan, this place is my favorite for a couple of non-sports-related reasons. I saw AC/DC play at Gillette once, and it was a loving awesome show, even if my seats sucked rear end.

Gillette is also in the center of a large outdoor mall, called Patriot Place. There's a bunch of bars and shops and restaurants, and I've gotten ripped drunk and hit on random girls on a number of occasions. Managed to wear down this one girl I really liked once, but that's a story for another time.

Now, while riding around the other day, I noticed that Massachusetts has a poo poo ton of old war memorials. It seems like every-other town center here has some kind of old gun or tank in the center of it, and I bet other states (especially the south) have a similar situation.

:siren:Take a picture of your bike in front of some kind of war machine:siren:

It can be a decommissioned tank or anti-aircraft gun, or even something cooler like a battleship that's been converted into a museum. Try to avoid regular old cannons. Those are all over the place in people's front lawns.

Strife fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 8, 2012

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Aw man, I am finally out for a leisure ride and all I can find is a cannon.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I found a tank near the entrance to the army base, but was yelled at by an MP because apparently it's some kind of monument and I was disrespecting it by moving my bike up close for the photo. I theorize that he was just being a dickweed but in the event that it is indeed disrespectful to some dead soldiers I won't post the picture.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Crayvex posted:

Aw man, I am finally out for a leisure ride and all I can find is a cannon.

That's actually a pretty sweet cannon. I meant like the little cannons on two wheels that people obsessed with the civil war always seem to collect. The kind of cannons that you'd find on pirate ships. Those ones suck. That one is pretty cool.

You can go ahead and post the next challenge, if you want. Unless someone has a sweeter cannon or explosives launching device.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Strife posted:

Gillette Stadium, home of the New England Patriots:

Damnit dude, where in MA are you? I'm literally 15 minutes from Gillette and was gonna go down and get a picture, never made it though.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
NEW challenge, should you choose to accept it, is
:siren: A picture of your bike with a squid and or person in a leather vest! (Someone who hates gear) :siren:

I hope this isn't too lame of a challenge...

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Zubumafoo posted:

Damnit dude, where in MA are you? I'm literally 15 minutes from Gillette and was gonna go down and get a picture, never made it though.

Raynham. I just went down 106, drove through some communities, and came out on route 1. It was a nice little ride, honestly. Probably about 45 minutes.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Strife posted:

Raynham. I just went down 106, drove through some communities, and came out on route 1. It was a nice little ride, honestly. Probably about 45 minutes.

No poo poo. I live in Norton!

Edit: :hfive:

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jul 9, 2012

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender

Crayvex posted:

NEW challenge, should you choose to accept it, is
:siren: A picture of your bike with a squid and or person in a leather vest! (Someone who hates gear) :siren:

I hope this isn't too lame of a challenge...

Certainly not the least protected person I've seen, but a leather vest over cotton is the best I've been able to get a picture of. Good enough, or can someone do better?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Stop asking when your pic clearly completes the challenge and just post. We only had one maybe and that was just stupid.

Of course I'm assuming you checked his tag and it made sure it was leather. Actually I'm not sure, would you mind taking a picture of the tag?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

And maybe a quick video testimonial saying that he identifies as a squid. Nothing formal, no need to post a scan of a notarized document to this effect.

(I vote yes, your picture fits the bill perfectly.)

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender

Safety Dance posted:

(I vote yes, your picture fits the bill perfectly.)
Good enough for me!

It's car show season! Find a car show, classic car night or other excuse to get vintage vehicles together near you and get:
:siren: A picture of your bike with one or more classic/vintage/custom vehicles. :siren:

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

I have had people walk out on me before, but not... when I was being so charming.

MonkeyHate posted:

Good enough for me!

It's car show season! Find a car show, classic car night or other excuse to get vintage vehicles together near you and get:
:siren: A picture of your bike with one or more classic/vintage/custom vehicles. :siren:

I will now make the challenge: :siren: A picture of your bike with TWO or more classic/vintage/custom vehicles! :siren:

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Next week my town is putting on a classic car show. I'll take a pic anyways, but I'm sure I'll be too late for this one.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

We've got a big one here this weekend. If nobody else does it, this shouldn't be a problem for me either as long as the weather is OK.
Edit: Car show. As opposed to the other "big one"

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 13, 2012

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I have a pair of vintage motorcycles in my garage I could take a picture of the Ulysses with, but that would be cheating.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

clutchpuck posted:

I have a pair of vintage motorcycles in my garage I could take a picture of the Ulysses with, but that would be cheating.

Well the last one was taken in a garage. It technically satisfies the requirements of the challenge.

Make sure you take pictures of the headstock in painstaking detail though.

Detroit117
Mar 28, 2012

Wings Of Steel
Sup, guys I'm back from my wreck. Both the vintage vehicles in the photos belong to me, so I am not too sure if this counts. Let me know :)

1975 Norton Commando 850 bone stock except: paint, turn signals, and an electric starter

1969 Chevy Corvette: custom paint, modern suspension and brakes, and a 4 spd. manual hooked to a high output 350

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

People, if your post meets the criteria, then you've got it. Thats it.

Choose a challenge, Detroit.

Detroit117
Mar 28, 2012

Wings Of Steel
^^^got it^^^

:siren: Your bike next to a big rock face :siren:

Example:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Detroit117 posted:

Your bike next to a big rock face

Unfortunately the only picture that turned out. I've got to get an actual camera.

The next challenge: :siren: Motorcycle urbex! Your bike with/in an abandoned structure.:siren: Preferably something industrial or military. Sorry if it's a repeat, too much to keep track of.

• Locked thread