Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Davos posted:

Just finished installing all my desired mods, but when I start up the game Project Nevada gives me some error message about not having the HUD extensions installed. I've no idea what this is referring to and Google can't seem to find me any answers, anyone have a clue? Also, the Weapon Mod Menu keeps saying I don't have the menu files for the mod and to reinstall, which I've done 5 times to apparently no avail, and the only file there even seems to be in the rar is the .bsa itself.

It sounds like you don't have Mod Configuration Menu (MCM) installed, which is a dependence for PN and WMM. Try this and see if that doesn't fix the errors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

So, I posted earlier about game breaking lag that appeared out of nowhere, having project reality and project nevada installed. I ran the game with all the mods disabled and the lag persists, even in earlier saves. I just wanna shoot peoples faces :saddowns:

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

GAY RETARD posted:

So, I posted earlier about game breaking lag that appeared out of nowhere, having project reality and project nevada installed. I ran the game with all the mods disabled and the lag persists, even in earlier saves. I just wanna shoot peoples faces :saddowns:

This happened to me and I tried everything, eventually I deleted all the .inis related to FNV and it fixed it

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Naky posted:

I don't want to speak for millenia but I think one of the reasons the energy weapons have been avoided is a lack of real world references to use for wear n tear, grunge, etc.

I have no experience so I am probably talking out of my rear end but how does it matter if they're energy weapons or traditional firearms? They're made of the same material and some are even resembling the traditional ones in shape.

I understand personal preference, though, just wanted to ask someone who knows this stuff.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

lordfrikk posted:

I have no experience so I am probably talking out of my rear end but how does it matter if they're energy weapons or traditional firearms? They're made of the same material and some are even resembling the traditional ones in shape.

I understand personal preference, though, just wanted to ask someone who knows this stuff.

Most artists use real life references to see real world damage in terms of scratches, scrapes, etc.

Otherwise it looks like random unnatural scratches and poo poo and looks bad.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
Using jsawyer I suddenly had my carry weight reset to vanilla levels. Any ideas how to make it go back?

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION
Are there any Gas Mask mods that don't look like they were made by a 7 year old?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

physeter posted:

Using jsawyer I suddenly had my carry weight reset to vanilla levels. Any ideas how to make it go back?

pre:
player.force carryweight 100
for 100 carry weight.

Smol fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 8, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Davos posted:

Are there any Gas Mask mods that don't look like they were made by a 7 year old?

Fo3 Gas Mask Port.
M40 Gas Mask.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

Upmarket Mango posted:

I'm using Electro-City Imaginator with the "Overall Nice Enhancement" preset enabled and Project Reality with everything disabled except for the "Pleasant" weather cycle.

EDIT: It's probably Project Reality behind it but it can't be the sole cause because I recall this sort of thing being present in the vanilla game as well (albeit not as pronounced).

Since you're using what I'm using, try these settings in Imaginator :

(no cinematic presets or hollywood styles active, these shaders installed)

Brightness and contrast may require tweaking based on what kind of a monitor you have. The above settings are on my monitor completely compatible with Interior Lighting Overhaul.

I used to have it overbearingly yellow/blue when I was using only Nevada Skies and nothing else:

This is the same almost clear blue weather on PR and Imaginator with the settings above:

Be warned though, as said by other posters the weird excessive reflection in the light maps can't be completely eliminated by any known means so the 'covered-in-spoo' element will always be present one way or another.

Beaumont
Dec 12, 2011

Deleuzionist posted:

Since you're using what I'm using, try these settings in Imaginator :

Wait, how did you get the Mod Configuration Menu to play nice with all those mods? Trying to update MCM with Project Nevada just shits up my version of MCM and leaves Project Nevada unplayable.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Beaumont posted:

Wait, how did you get the Mod Configuration Menu to play nice with all those mods? Trying to update MCM with Project Nevada just shits up my version of MCM and leaves Project Nevada unplayable.

If I remember correctly, install MCM over PN and it should work just fine.

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION

graynull posted:

It sounds like you don't have Mod Configuration Menu (MCM) installed, which is a dependence for PN and WMM. Try this and see if that doesn't fix the errors.

I've got MCM installed, just redownloaded and installed it for the 5th time and still I get that same Weapon's Mod Menu error, same with the Project Nevada one. Guess I'll just start playing and see if there are any actual problems with them in game.

Edit: Seems that MCM does seem to be the problem, but I have no idea why. When I pause it says that MCM is not loaded correctly and tells me to reinstall it (did that), update my Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (did that), or alter my Firewall/UAC settings (which I'm not really sure why that would interfere with the mod at all). Still doesn't work.

Davos fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 8, 2012

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Vivec posted:

This happened to me and I tried everything, eventually I deleted all the .inis related to FNV and it fixed it

If I had to guess, assuming it's not a hardware death knell, it might be the anti-aliasing. My Skyrim installation was doing some similar involving things textures going invisible until I disabled the AA.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

Beaumont posted:

I just installed all the MCM-supported mods first and MCM as the last one. No special tricks or anything. Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Is entering an interior cell to find yourself stuck inside the body of an enemy or bucket of misc items a vanilla glitch, or probably something else? The former happens on the second floor of the Bison Steve and the latter in Victor's Shack. I'm suspicious that the New Bison Steve is the culprit.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Timeless Appeal posted:

Is entering an interior cell to find yourself stuck inside the body of an enemy or bucket of misc items a vanilla glitch, or probably something else? The former happens on the second floor of the Bison Steve and the latter in Victor's Shack. I'm suspicious that the New Bison Steve is the culprit.

I've used plenty of mods and I've never had that happen. I assume it can be temporarily fixed by 'tcl'-ing your way out of the object? Still, seems like it would get annoying.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Beaumont posted:

Have you tried using this?

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/38961

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

This is what I use. It's a little inelegant, and might take 10 or 15 minutes to figure out, but once you get all of the features talking to each other, you'll realize that oHud enables you to pretty much do whatever the gently caress you want with your Hud.

Arenovalis
Dec 8, 2010

Oh, no, I said, "steamed hams." That's what I call hamburgers.
http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/46981

Released the .44 magnum re-retexture. Now with 100% more Mysterious Magnum :v:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
That's really pretty!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
drat, that might be your best one yet. The handle is particularly pretty.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Is there a face mod in general that changes the game's god-drat Ken Doll faces? I'm tired of Fiends looking like models that just rubbed charcoal on their faces.

Not for NPCs, but The Hero Race uses a better head model for players. Note that it clips with one or two hairstyles and some headwear.

I made a custom face texture for it:

Edit: Updated with normals, looks much better now.

Download

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 10, 2012

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

Arenovalis posted:

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/46981

Released the .44 magnum re-retexture. Now with 100% more Mysterious Magnum :v:

Very nice. I cannot wait to try it out.

On a related note, can someone with firearms experience explain why there's a scope on a revolver? How are you supposed to shoot when you're holding the scope to your eye? Wouldn't you simply injure your wrist from the recoil?

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Merry Magpie posted:

Very nice. I cannot wait to try it out.

On a related note, can someone with firearms experience explain why there's a scope on a revolver? How are you supposed to shoot when you're holding the scope to your eye? Wouldn't you simply injure your wrist from the recoil?

You put a scope on a pistol for pretty much the same reasons you put one on a rifle. However, pistol scopes have more eye relief so you don't have to hold it very close to get a complete sight picture. This article has a picture (click to embiggen), you can see the fellow in the foreground with a pretty good distance between his eye and the scope, and at least one guy in the line holding a smaller-caliber handgun rather closer.

Also, worry about your face, not your wrist. Scope cuts suck.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
As for recoil, a proper grip will help mitigate recoil. .44 Magnum is stout, no doubt about it, but out of something what looks like a 6 3/8" barrel, it's not too terribly bad if you've got a good grasp on basic shooting fundamentals. Plus you could always through some powderpuff .44 Specials through it and laugh as that heavy as poo poo frame soaks up all the recoil for you :v:

Kinda miss my .44 Smith. Don't miss paying for ammo, though. Good going, Arenovalis. Might have to start a new game sometime :D

E:

Jesus christ, handguns at 500y minimum? drat.

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

Remora posted:

You put a scope on a pistol for pretty much the same reasons you put one on a rifle. However, pistol scopes have more eye relief so you don't have to hold it very close to get a complete sight picture. This article has a picture (click to embiggen), you can see the fellow in the foreground with a pretty good distance between his eye and the scope, and at least one guy in the line holding a smaller-caliber handgun rather closer.

Thank you both, that was informative.

Wait, scope cuts? Do you mean bruises?

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Merry Magpie posted:

Thank you both, that was informative.

Wait, scope cuts? Do you mean bruises?

Those too, but no. Scopes are metal tubes. Even if they have a rubber eyepiece for comfort, it's still a thin piece of soft rubber between you and a thin rolled metal edge aimed at your head. Combine that with recoil forces and, if you are unlucky and bad at holding guns, you can whack yourself in the head with the end of your scope when you pull the trigger. For your troubles you get a gash in your head that may require stitches. I think the highest number I've heard personally was 12, scope slid back along the side of his head and opened him up as it went.

Edit: That's a pretty loving big outlier, I failed to mention. Mostly you just get a little nick around your eye socket like so.

Remora fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 9, 2012

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've used plenty of mods and I've never had that happen. I assume it can be temporarily fixed by 'tcl'-ing your way out of the object? Still, seems like it would get annoying.
Funny enough, it turned out to be Interior Lighting Overhaul that was creating the issue. I have no idea why.

EDIT: Apparently the reason is that I didn't click the option that adds the overhaul to DLC interiors.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 9, 2012

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Remora posted:

Just so people know, when I did TA, I thought about making a number of the elcan/short range scopes and such with transparent lenses so you can aim through that way but decided against it. Firstly because there are only a very small handful of resources I can use to accomplish that task and secondly because I thought it took up so much screen real estate anyway that there wasn't much point to doing it that way. I did leave a few weapons that operate in that manner but there aren't a lot.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Naky posted:

Just so people know, when I did TA, I thought about making a number of the elcan/short range scopes and such with transparent lenses so you can aim through that way but decided against it. Firstly because there are only a very small handful of resources I can use to accomplish that task and secondly because I thought it took up so much screen real estate anyway that there wasn't much point to doing it that way. I did leave a few weapons that operate in that manner but there aren't a lot.

The scope iron-sights thing is only cool when the scope is actually magnified, so you can still see things in your peripheral but ADS allows you to zoom in on targets at the same time. Very few games implement something like this, though! :argh:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I'm trying to alter the normal maps for the above face texture, but when I save it in Photoshop the result is noticably darker than the original. Anybody know what the hell is causing this?

Arenovalis
Dec 8, 2010

Oh, no, I said, "steamed hams." That's what I call hamburgers.
Are you saving the normal map with alpha intact? That means either DXT5 or RGBA 8.8.8.8 uncompressed.
The alpha map contains the specular map in the alpha channel, which controls the lighting, so that seems like a likely reason.

PS:

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/38285

Finally updated the main WRP!

Arenovalis fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 10, 2012

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Arenovalis posted:

Are you saving the normal map with alpha intact? That means either DXT5 or RGBA 8.8.8.8 uncompressed.
The alpha map contains the specular map in the alpha channel, which controls the lighting, so that seems like a likely reason.

That was it! Thanks!

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Because Arenovalis has inspired me and mostly because he makes fun of me on IRC, I am redoing my Armbreaker mesh to, as he says, 'get with the times' and 'stop being an old fuddy duddy and learn how to use 3ds max and next gen techniques'. So I am redoing it with the whole high poly -> normal bake -> low poly and will endevour to texture it like he does.

Which means I will end up sobbing in the corner when I realize I don't have any crayons with the colors he uses.

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION
I cannot, for the goddamn life of my, figure out what's wrong with my mods. Every single time it says The Weapons Mod Menu is missing files and to reinstall, then it says Project Nevada is missing its Hud Extensions, then if I pause MCM says its missing files and doesn't work. I have reinstalled all of these a dozen times, redownloaded and reinstalled, etc. and I cannot figure out what could possibly be wrong. Google brings up no solutions whatsoever. I was thinking that maybe Darnified UI was somehow screwing things up but if that's the case I have no idea what the hell is wrong there, everything I search for yields nothing. Only thing that seemed like it might be it was MCM's readme saying to use the Unified Hub Project, which I have now used and it's helped absolutely nothing. I tried uninstalling Darnified but if I do that (delete Menus folder, Texture folders involving Darnified, alter Fonts section in ini, and deactive the mod itself in FOMOD) that just seems to end up breaking my whole drat game as it crashes before getting to the main menu. Anyone have any clue what's my problem here?

Edit: Figured it out, I'm an idiot. I forgot to turn on Archive Invalidation in FOMM.

Davos fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 10, 2012

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Updated my face texture with normals:

http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/359935/headhuman-zip.html

I'll see about grabbing some screens tomorrow, I'm spent.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

You're a saint, thanks for this!

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Cross post.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Man, I downloaded a mod that was supposed to restore a bunch of NPCs that were cut before the game was released to save on game memory, and while most of it's cool non-consequential stuff (Tourists and Mercs at the 188 Trading Post, more people on The Strip and Westside), the fatally wounded soldiers out in the No Man's Land between Forlorn Hope and Nelson were frightening when I ran into them. I can see why they cut those.
Anyone know what mod hes talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

xanthan posted:

Cross post.

Anyone know what mod hes talking about?

They're the "New Vegas Uncut" mods. This is the link to the author's page, since there are like 8 of them. Just click on his profile's mods tab.