Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I just listened to Yellow, and I really liked it. I do wish it was heavier, but I see what they were going for, and I appreciate it. Definitely some good tunes there. Going to have a listen to Green in a little while.

Edit: Okay, I might like Green more on the whole, or maybe I've just warmed to the style more. Overall Yellow & Green has a lot of great moments. The biggest issues I have with it are in the vocals and lyrics, which sometimes sound like they could have used some revision, or more practice. Like every double album, it could easily be condensed into one incredible album by trimming out some of the weaker songs, but I think it gets its point across just fine. I can see myself listening to it a lot.

I think it's definitely going to grow on me, but while it's definitely a very different album than they've ever done, it's still very Baroness.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The song Little Things is particularly good to me. I think it should have replaced Take My Bones Away or Eula as one of their singles/pre-releases.

I've been skipping all-over, and what I'm noticing the most is that while it would be hard to call Baroness a metal band at this point instrumentally, yet the themes in the lyrics and the atmosphere of the songs is still reminiscent of Red and Blue.

Blue had this sort of Apocalyptic feel throughout the music in my opinion, and Yellow & Green kind of continues that tradition, there's a distinct feeling of dread and despair throughout both of them that sets this pretty far apart from any pop or 'rock' album. They're still Baroness at heart, and this is no 'sell-out' album, even if it's way less heavy than their previous offerings.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
I have a hard time calling it metal. Still very good (highlight of my day was driving home into the sunset listening thru Yellow), but a lot of people aren't going to like it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I hadn't really listened to the single releases except for "Take My Bones Away"... but holy poo poo "Eula" is an amazing closer. I've been listening to that song on repeat for the last 20 minutes.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I want to like Yellow and Green, but it feels like Baizley's vocals sound douchier and more like jock rock with every passing release. It's a shame, because I really like the production/instrumentation.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l
It certainly wasn't what I was expecting (and at first blush, I liked it far more than I was expecting to), but I think it's gonna take me a few more listens to figure out what I think of Yellow and Green.

That being said, my heart completely broke into a million pieces at the 1:00 mark of The Line Between. I want the rest of the song they were playing up to that point a lot more than the one that followed it. :sigh:

Grey Dynamite
Sep 28, 2010
Didn't see them mentioned the last few pages, but Witch Mountain have a new album out. Super-sick bluesy doom with absolutely amazing female vocals. No words I could write would would do them justice, so let the song do the talking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxCYB5UzkQM

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Grey Dynamite posted:

Didn't see them mentioned the last few pages, but Witch Mountain have a new album out. Super-sick bluesy doom with absolutely amazing female vocals. No words I could write would would do them justice, so let the song do the talking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxCYB5UzkQM

I was also wondering if anyone had mentioned it, since I didn't receive my copy until yesterday. I've listened to it twice and it hasn't yet grabbed me the way South of Salem did, but I'm fairly sure it'll grow on me. And if you haven't heard South of Salem yet, hunt it down and have a listen!

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

blue.eyed.ash posted:

That being said, my heart completely broke into a million pieces at the 1:00 mark of The Line Between. I want the rest of the song they were playing up to that point a lot more than the one that followed it. :sigh:

This happened to me as soon as the vocals come in on Little Things. That song is loving awesome, but the vocals just don't hold up.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

This happened to me as soon as the vocals come in on Little Things. That song is loving awesome, but the vocals just don't hold up.

I was thinking the exact same thing about Little Things. I realized that this is my issue with the album, John Baizley's attempt at softer vocals is just weak. He is a strong singer at louder volumes and nails the melodies, but a lot of his gentler work here is kinda shoddy.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

It's difficult to say I don't like the new Baroness and not feel like an rear end, especially given some of the vitriol in this thread towards those who didn't like the songs that were streaming for the past month or so. I have given it two listens and struggled through parts of it both times. Outside of the vocals I like some of it (a lot of the instrumentation), but don't love much of it. There are a lot of songs that are reminiscent of other songs / bands for me (Torche, Thrice, Minus the Bear and Foo Fighters of all things) and not in a good way. I really don't like the vocals (nor the lyrics) on most of the songs either.

I don't know how much of this is because of my inability to disassociate what a band's sound was when I started liking them from their current sound, but I am pretty confident this album just isn't for me. I can't call it bad, because it certainly isn't, but it isn't for me. I will still give it plenty of listens though, as there have been plenty of albums I turned around on after some time.

Asnorban fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 6, 2012

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
New Baroness loving sucks.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

This reaction reminds me of how I felt after Mastodon progged out with Blood Mountain.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm not ready to pass judgement on it yet but I definitely think it didn't need to be a double album. There's some real Pink Floyd-sounding stuff on it too.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Sleep record finally came, about to get real up in here.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Weaponized Cum posted:

Baroness loving sucks.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Krabsworth
Feb 20, 2011

by T. Mascis

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
^^^ You both make very strong cases.

Yellow & Green has grown on me even after one additional listen. I like the vocals more, but some of the lyrics still sound extremely douchey to me ("We're all sour milk/when we look in the mirror we collapse" Okay, what?) Definitely not regretting pre-ordering the vinyl though. :)

I think my favorite tracks right now are Cocanium, Board Up The House, Psalms Alive, and Stretchmarker. Goddamn good poo poo. Oh, also Back Where I Belong.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 7, 2012

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Uuuuuurgh I don't know whether I can wait for my Y&G vinyl to arrive now! Probably won't listen tonight as I have an unquenchable thirst for the iciest black metal I can find, but I really can't wait for this album!

Grey Dynamite posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxCYB5UzkQM

I've only heard South of Salem so far but I like the tracks I've streamed from the new one. Hoping to order a copy soon! Her voice is stunning.

Krabsworth
Feb 20, 2011

by T. Mascis

\

Oh I'm sorry I neglected to put forth a carefully worded argument for why a particular "sludge" musician loving sucks. My post lacked all of the rationality and intellectual vigor that a tradition of bands like "the Melvins" have worked so hard to purvey.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

Yellow & Green has grown on me even after one additional listen. I like the vocals more, but some of the lyrics still sound extremely douchey to me ("We're all sour milk/when we look in the mirror we collapse" Okay, what?) Definitely not regretting pre-ordering the vinyl though. :)

I think my favorite tracks right now are Cocanium, Board Up The House, Psalms Alive, and Stretchmarker. Goddamn good poo poo. Oh, also Back Where I Belong.

They aren't metal, but they're both incredibly compelling, heavy albums. Right now, my favorite stretch is from Twinkler > Cocainium > Back Where I Belong > Sea Lungs. I don't exactly know where I was expecting Baroness to go after Blue Album, but this is a mix of familiar sounds and completely different directions.

EDIT: Board Up the House is Zep as gently caress.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Just discovered Om.

One word: Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccckkkkkkk.

How in the hell have I missed this band before? I just listened to State of Non-Return since it was linked a couple of pages back and I loved it. Where do I start in their back catalog?

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Just got came into a record player with a kick rear end sound system. What are the first five records I should buy?

100 percent of my music is mp3s, so I'd love to start with a good demonstration of the power of vinyl.

Should I just go balls out and buy Dopesmoker, and be evicted from my apartment two weeks later due to playing it non stop?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

rxcowboy posted:

Should I just go balls out and buy Dopesmoker, and be evicted from my apartment two weeks later due to playing it non stop?

Yes, this is worth it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

rxcowboy posted:

Just discovered Om.

One word: Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccckkkkkkk.

Pilgrimage is a beast, Conference is cool and the new album is great too. I'm not mad on God is Good.

quote:

Yes.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

rxcowboy posted:

Just got came into a record player with a kick rear end sound system. What are the first five records I should buy?

100 percent of my music is mp3s, so I'd love to start with a good demonstration of the power of vinyl.

This might sound like heresy, but right before the Nth playback that'll get you kick out of your apartment find some good headphones to go with that system and even better weed/beer/whateveryoudoforfun and crank that bitch on some cans.

Getting completely blitzed and listening to great music on headphones isn't just for 1975 anymore.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Y&G full stream on NPR now for those of you who want to hear it but don't want the leak.

eravulgaris
Jul 7, 2012

Some great recommendations in this topic. I haven't seen any "Windhand" though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2I79RzbuKY

Check it out.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

eravulgaris posted:

Some great recommendations in this topic. I haven't seen any "Windhand" though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2I79RzbuKY

Check it out.

I posted them a couple times. I've been a fan since their demo.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ufomammut's ORO-Opus Alter out 14th of September.
Check out the first released song, Oroborus.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

nomapple posted:

Y&G full stream on NPR now for those of you who want to hear it but don't want the leak.

it would appear the leak is missing a song, the gently caress

e: but its the worst one, good call unscrupulous music reviewer

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 9, 2012

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

nuncle jimbo posted:

it would appear the leak is missing a song, the gently caress

e: but its the worst one, good call unscrupulous music reviewer

I like it, it makes Foolsong better in my opinion. Mnts. segues into it nicely. I felt like there was something missing after Board up the House.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Interstitial Abs posted:

This might sound like heresy, but right before the Nth playback that'll get you kick out of your apartment find some good headphones to go with that system and even better weed/beer/whateveryoudoforfun and crank that bitch on some cans.

Getting completely blitzed and listening to great music on headphones isn't just for 1975 anymore.

I love the fact that no one has even bothered recommending anything else, and is just co-signing for Dopesmoker. I'm being completely unironic when I say that. I think I might go for the double header though and order Dopethrone as well, get some Electric Wizard in the mix.

Regarding your suggestion, I will grab some good headphones as well, because my girlfriend simply does not dig this style of music. I've got a son on the way in October, I can't wait to introduce my boy to music. I grew up listening to Sabbath, Floyd, and Zeppelin on vinyl, my mom and uncle had awesome taste in music.

Regarding the beer and weed, a few years ago I would have agreed wholeheartedly. But I used to have a drug problem, and got clean almost three years ago. I still love music, and I find I appreciate it more when sober, so I'll just stick with the headphones and zone out on my own.

I wish I still talked to my uncle, he'd love this style of music. He used to go to Black Sabbath shows, and he excelled at improvising smoking tools. I think his crowning achievement was using a squeeze bottle of ketchup he randomly picked up off the ground.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

nomapple posted:

Frankly I like the new direction they are taking. I know it doesn't sound like older Baroness, but that's ok. It takes more energy and creativity to go outside of your normal sound, and evolution is always a good thing. It makes me excited to see where their next album goes. It could be a return to form and be heavy as gently caress, or continue down a different path entirely and be an even bigger curveball. I appreciate either choice, because when I'm in the mood for something really heavy I can put on Red/Blue, and now if I want something a little lighter I can go for Yellow/Green. Variety is the spice of life, and I bet this poo poo will sound killer live.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

rxcowboy posted:

Frankly I like the new direction they are taking. I know it doesn't sound like older Baroness, but that's ok. It takes more energy and creativity to go outside of your normal sound, and evolution is always a good thing. It makes me excited to see where their next album goes. It could be a return to form and be heavy as gently caress, or continue down a different path entirely and be an even bigger curveball. I appreciate either choice, because when I'm in the mood for something really heavy I can put on Red/Blue, and now if I want something a little lighter I can go for Yellow/Green. Variety is the spice of life, and I bet this poo poo will sound killer live.

You summed up my thoughts better than I could've ever done. Well said.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Polegrinder posted:

You summed up my thoughts better than I could've ever done. Well said.

Thank you very much. I think people often deprive themselves of great new experiences by desperately clinging on to a bands past sound.

Imagine if Sleep reformed, announced they would be recording new material and then did a press release saying "Guess what guys, we're making Dopesmoker Part 2. Get ready to loving poo poo yourselves."

I know this may sound nuts, but I'd be let down. Dopesmoker is loving insane, it's a radical departure from how music is normally done, it's iconic and it's going to be the first record I buy on vinyl. I love it, and I try to get everyone I know to at least listen to it all the way through once. I don't want Dopesmoker 2, because the odds are against it being as good, and it might diminish my appreciation of the sound if it wasn't as good as the original. I'd rather them come out with something that sounded nothing like Dopesmoker. Even if it was utter poo poo, I'd still commend them from straying out of their comfort zone, and I'd look forward to the next record because they probably learned some new poo poo while doing it which could lead to more awesome new poo poo on the next one.

If you love record X, that's fantastic! Love it, share it with others, go see the band when they tour and support it. But wouldn't you rather have record Y come next instead of X part 2? X will always be there!

One of my favorite bands is Pink Floyd, because they were fearless when it came to trying new poo poo. How do you top Dark Side of the Moon? One of the greatest albums of all time, one of the best selling albums of all time for literally decades? You make The Wall, something entirely different in theme, song writing and structure. Made during a period of creativity so loving intense that Roger Waters wrote alot of it during a stay in a mental institution. It's loving brilliant, and makes me appreciate DSOTM even more because it stands alone, without The Wall trying to copy it.

Neurosis is similar in this regard. I like their new sound, even though it's a bit softer in my opinion than say Enemy of the Sun.

Anyway, that's me rambling. Always support bands you love when they try something new, don't try and force them to pigeonhole themselves. You're doing them a disservice, and yourself too.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

rxcowboy posted:

Imagine if Sleep reformed, announced they would be recording new material and then did a press release saying "Guess what guys, we're making Dopesmoker Part 2. Get ready to loving poo poo yourselves."

Well, they already reformed for a tour, and hinted pretty heavily that they were going to be doing recordings in the future. Hopefully Matt Pike overcomes his current problems and we'll hear some awesome new Sleep some time soon!

I agree that's it's cool for bands to try something new and possibly awesome, but I still feel sad when a group stop making the kind of music you love them for and go on to something meh (I'm looking at you, Isis).

Also, I'm not sure if it was this thread or elsewhere, but someone got me to buy Church of Misery's Master of Brutality and it is really good. I can't believe I've never listened to this band before.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 10, 2012

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

rxcowboy posted:

I know this may sound nuts, but I'd be let down. Dopesmoker is loving insane, it's a radical departure from how music is normally done, it's iconic and it's going to be the first record I buy on vinyl. I love it, and I try to get everyone I know to at least listen to it all the way through once. I don't want Dopesmoker 2, because the odds are against it being as good, and it might diminish my appreciation of the sound if it wasn't as good as the original. I'd rather them come out with something that sounded nothing like Dopesmoker. Even if it was utter poo poo, I'd still commend them from straying out of their comfort zone, and I'd look forward to the next record because they probably learned some new poo poo while doing it which could lead to more awesome new poo poo on the next one.

Al has said many times that he's moved on from the weed/space themed stuff, so I would be very surprised if he returned to that approach. It would be amazing, however, if they did a proper recording of "Antarcticans Thawed," and maybe the version of "Sonic Titan" they've been trying on this latest tour.

You're right on the money about "Dopesmoker" being a radical departure from the conventions of rock and metal music. In fact, I'd say it's difficult to overstate just how unusual it is. A lot of bands claim Sleep as an influence, but I have never seen or heard anyone come remotely close to the sound they achieved on "Dopesmoker." Tonally, yes, but in terms of deep riff structure and rhythmic complexity? Not a chance. I discover new things about the song every time I listen to it, and I still haven't figured out how some of the parts work. I was listening to it while driving yesterday, and I had a sudden insight about how to count the "Morris" and "Improved Morris" riffs. I had to pull over so I could concentrate on testing my theory without rear-ending someone.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I saw Baroness tonight and the yellow & green songs sound absolutely awesome live, I wasn't too keen on take my bones away when I heard it on youtube but it's so much heavier played live. The electric version of steel that sleeps the eye they played was pretty amazing too. It was a really small venue but they put on an amazing show and seemed like they were having a great time doing it.

There was a guy behind me in the queue bitching about how Baroness had sold out and that only the red album was very good and that steel that sleeps the eye ruined the blue record for him and I kind of wanted to hit him. It's pretty rare that you encounter youtube comments in the real world.

I like Y&G how it is, but I can't help but feel that if they made it sound on the record more like they play it live they'd have more universally positive reaction to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

FirstPersonShitter posted:

There was a guy behind me in the queue bitching about how Baroness had sold out and that only the red album was very good and that steel that sleeps the eye ruined the blue record for him and I kind of wanted to hit him. It's pretty rare that you encounter youtube comments in the real world.

Haha what a loving chud. Who goes to see a band with a new album out and expects them to only play stuff from their first record?

I'm really growing on Yellow. Green, not so much.

Edit:
Green really sucks.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jul 10, 2012