Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

ejstheman posted:

I don't have a native ASIO driver for my sound chip. I tried the ASIO4ALL wrapper but got nowhere. I can't hear the test tone at all from the audio tab of Ableton's config screen, when ASIO4ALL is selected. I don't know what WASAPI is.

Oh, sorry. I have a Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3L motherboard that has a built-in RealTek ALC888. I'm using the S/PDIF optical output to a Yamaha RX-N600 receiver/amplifier.

A couple of things to try:

1) a quick google for "asio4all realtek spdif" shows that a bunch of people have had issues getting the digital output to work with ASIO4ALL. You might want to do a little reading and poke around in the driver settings.

2) if that doesn't help, try asio4all with the analog line out on your sound card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

h_double posted:

A couple of things to try:

1) a quick google for "asio4all realtek spdif" shows that a bunch of people have had issues getting the digital output to work with ASIO4ALL. You might want to do a little reading and poke around in the driver settings.

2) if that doesn't help, try asio4all with the analog line out on your sound card.

I'm using a generic driver from Microsoft that doesn't (as far as I know) have any user-adjustable settings. I'll definitely try the line-out thing when I get home from work, though.

Edit: Well actually I won't do that because my house doesn't have power, but hopefully I'll do it soon.

ejstheman fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 3, 2012

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 8, 2014

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Not jumping on the beta yet because I need my M4L, but this is awesome news.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I have a Moog Expression Pedal plugged into the back of my Axiom 25 (1st edition) and the response is super jumpy. I've tried switching the Takeover Mode in the settings, but it's almost the same for each mode. Any idea how to remedy this?

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Dudes,
I've been annoyed with the lack of support for video clips in Session view. Then I remembered The Bridge! It turns Serato Video into a video player with effects and everything, that is tempo-synced to Live if the video file is tagged with the BPM.

It's rad as gently caress, and has worked flawlessly so far. The only caveat is that it requires an SSL interface to be connected like a huge dongle, and the whole thing crashes if it gets unplugged. Heh heh. I really wish Serato would make something like video-only thing work with The Bridge as long as it's synced to Live.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

vas0line posted:

Dudes,
I've been annoyed with the lack of support for video clips in Session view. Then I remembered The Bridge! It turns Serato Video into a video player with effects and everything, that is tempo-synced to Live if the video file is tagged with the BPM.

It's rad as gently caress, and has worked flawlessly so far. The only caveat is that it requires an SSL interface to be connected like a huge dongle, and the whole thing crashes if it gets unplugged. Heh heh. I really wish Serato would make something like video-only thing work with The Bridge as long as it's synced to Live.

As a Novation Twitch/Serato Itch user, I'd really like to see the Itch support for Bridge that Serato has mentioned in the past.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
I finally got an apc40 and jesus is this wonderful. It is amazing how easy ableton is to navigate. My process with my production buddy has sped up by probably 40 percent. We are getting work done.

YAR!!!!!!!!!

ZeldaLeft
Oct 15, 2004
Waiting in the mirrors of the Hotel Lobby
I cannot, for the life of me, get my Axiom 25 to work with Ableton. I have the control surface on axiom direct link, input and output on axiom25. I also have the track and remote set to ON for axiom directlink input, midiin2, and midiin3.

The axiom is on, drivers installed, but no detection or functionality in ableton at all.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
I want to control separate things with my midi controller's pads and keyboard.

At the moment, I accidentally trigger functions I've mapped to my pads by playing the keyboard, as they both control the same midi notes. Is there any way to separate them?

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 15, 2012

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

How do I do that? I have absolutely no idea!

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Kind of upset that I missed the sale for upgrading...

Guess I'll just stick to lite for a while. :(

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Does anybody know if it's possible to use an old Yamaha PSR-500 keyboard as a midi keyboard in Ableton? It's got two MIDI ports so I gather that I can just buy an adaptor?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Does anybody know if it's possible to use an old Yamaha PSR-500 keyboard as a midi keyboard in Ableton? It's got two MIDI ports so I gather that I can just buy an adaptor?

Yep, just get a MIDI-USB adapter and you're away.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Played my first live show with Live and Guitar Rig.

Yeah thats a PC keyboard with most of the keys ripped off.

To get a general idea of what I was getting at here's the keymap

Basically a Guitar Rig sent to four Loopers, with some drums to back it up.

The MIDI channel sends notes to Guitar Rig for program changes and function switches.

Tons of fun, buying a FCB1010 and a real control surface ASAP.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Whoa, are you using a PC keyboard as a foot pedal? That rules. Rock n roll. How does it work?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Popcorn posted:

Whoa, are you using a PC keyboard as a foot pedal? That rules. Rock n roll. How does it work?

It's all just Live keybinds.

On the numeric pad, I left 2 and 9 on, which are bound to those top two MIDI clips. Those are non looping non quantized clips that just send short single eighth notes of different pitches to Guitar Rig. GR then uses these for the "previous/next" patch.

The next 4 are bound to 2, 5, 8 and = , and send different notes to GR, to individually toggle components of GR. ie, on my 'clean bass' patch, the buttons are:

-Graphic EQ toggle
-Ultra low toggle
-Reverb input mute
-Chorus on/off

whereas on my "dirty bass" patch, the buttons are:

-Graphic EQ toggle
-Drive toggle (goes between two preset levels)
-Flanger on/off
-Octaver on/off

That's the GR side.

For the Loopers, I have bound z,c,b,m to the big Looper multifunctional button. I also bound those to just click on the track name to bring that Looper to the front.

I kept the Caps Lock key on, and that is because i bound Z,C,B,M to solo for each of the Loopers.

Other than that, the qwerty row is bound all the way across for 'backing drums' and patterns, and the asdfg row to my main breaks. There are beat repeat toggles and tweaks on this row, too. I figured that I could take my hands off the bass for a second to twiddle drums, so just trigger those from the keyboard.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.
Bitwig is in beta. Just got an email saying invites are going out. They should have some updated videos on their site, too.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Kinda stuck on this one...

I'm the new proud papa of an Analogue Solutions Leipzig-S, which is a hardware synth with its own step sequencer and ver basic MIDI. I can get signal in/out of Ableton without a hitch, and I can get it to stop and start when the DAW runs, but it won't set itself back to the first step when this happens... I have to manually step through to get it back in time before I start the playback.

Does anyone know of a way to send a MIDI command out to set a stepper back to the first position?

Thanks!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

magiccarpet posted:

I'm the new proud papa of an Analogue Solutions Leipzig-S, which is a hardware synth with its own step sequencer and ver basic MIDI. I can get signal in/out of Ableton without a hitch, and I can get it to stop and start when the DAW runs, but it won't set itself back to the first step when this happens... I have to manually step through to get it back in time before I start the playback.

Does anyone know of a way to send a MIDI command out to set a stepper back to the first position?

Thanks!

That thing looks weird and neat! I found this:

"Sequencer reset is handled via accent (or using heavy velocity on a MIDI note)."

in a press release. Can't find any more details quite yet.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

magiccarpet posted:

Thanks!

Well, according to the manual, the MIDI is really basic. It looks like you may be able to do this in a roundabout way. Set the sync source to MIDI-sync (starts when your DAW runs, stops when DAW stops). Flip the Reset toggle down to ACC and create a MIDI scene that has a MIDI note with a velocity over 80 on the first step where you want it to reset. You can duplicate this scene in the arrange window or just have it loop. It should reset the sequencer to step 1 every time the note fires. You could make some cool patterns with this as well.

I hope that's at all helpful.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I could easily be wrong, but when I was last lookinglusting at the Leipzig-S I saw that it's sequence can be reset by sending a high velocity MIDI note to it.

Thus my intended usage pattern with it would/will be to step it by sending MIDI notes, with the first in a sequence having sufficient velocity to reset it to the first stage. This means that shuffle, syncopation and other interesting sequence modulations can occur by easily re-arranging the MIDI triggers inside Live.

If you're truly stuck then just contact AS directly: Tom Carpenter's a swell guy and really helpful.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Cool, thanks for the help guys. I'll give it a shot tonight and see what I come up with, but it does seem that MIDI velocity bit will do the trick.

And yes, it sounds crazy and awesome. I've wanted it since it was first announced and finally bit the bullet. The first time I turned it on and screwed with some knobs I had essentially recreated Pinion by NIN. Which is exactly what it should be doing.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

magiccarpet posted:

And yes, it sounds crazy and awesome. I've wanted it since it was first announced and finally bit the bullet. The first time I turned it on and screwed with some knobs I had essentially recreated Pinion by NIN. Which is exactly what it should be doing.
No no no. You're supposed to use Metasonix gear to sound like NIN.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004
Is it possible in Ableton to remap MIDI parameters like velocity? For example, suppose I make some wobble bass synth. Can I set it so that the signals from my MIDI controller are mapped note->note and velocity->LFO frequency, with the actual velocity just being 127 all the time?

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

colonp posted:

The instrument need to have that functionality (Vel->LFO rate), or you'll need to make/find something in M4L.

What's the point if the velocity is 127 all the time?

Some midi controllers don't have velocity sensitive keys.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

colonp posted:

Sure, but what's the point of mapping velocity to anything if the velocity never changes? Maybe I misunderstood the question..

I think he's asking if you can have velocity midi data change other parameters inside the DAW instead of note velocity. Like if you hit the key softer you'd have less LFO applied while still registering the note itself at 127 velocity.

If so, I do think there's a way to do this, but I don't know it.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
Ok, ive got a question:

Ive been watching some vids on how to make bass growl. Best i can figure it really comes down to using EQ8 as a vowel filter. The problem is i cant figure out how the gently caress to automate every single frequency to move but all move in unison. Like, it needs 4-5 freqs to move all together, but stay the same distance apart. Ideally, id like to put them on on a fader so i can move them back and forth, but what always ends up happening is they all goto the same freq and it ends up being basically a HP filter.

Any ideas?

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Can you throw the whole chain in an instrument rack and apply both 4 and 5 to the same macro knob?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

oredun posted:

Ok, ive got a question:

Ive been watching some vids on how to make bass growl. Best i can figure it really comes down to using EQ8 as a vowel filter. The problem is i cant figure out how the gently caress to automate every single frequency to move but all move in unison. Like, it needs 4-5 freqs to move all together, but stay the same distance apart. Ideally, id like to put them on on a fader so i can move them back and forth, but what always ends up happening is they all goto the same freq and it ends up being basically a HP filter.

Any ideas?

You can set the ranges for each one separately with macro knobs.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 8, 2014

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

MixMasterMalaria posted:

I think he's asking if you can have velocity midi data change other parameters inside the DAW instead of note velocity. Like if you hit the key softer you'd have less LFO applied while still registering the note itself at 127 velocity.

If so, I do think there's a way to do this, but I don't know it.

This is it exactly. Sorry I was unclear before.

It seems like you ought to be able to remap MIDI input, given how you can arbitrarily remap keyboard shortcuts and other such things, but just because I think it's reasonable, that doesn't mean they wrote the software that way. colonp, I googled Max for Live and it looks like you can basically write arbitrary software that interfaces with Live if you have it, so I assume that this is indeed possible there. It would be great if it were possible somehow in vanilla Ableton, though.

Warrior Bob
Dec 16, 2004
butt

ejstheman posted:

It would be great if it were possible somehow in vanilla Ableton, though.
Based on what you've said in the thread, I think it is. You need to set whatever synthesizer you're using to not change volume in response to velocity data, and instead change some other parameter. This is going to be done internally in your synth, rather than somewhere else in Live.

In Operator, for example, you can set the "Vel" parameter of each oscillator to 0%, thereby stopping note velocity from affecting volume, and you can assign velocity to modulate some other parameter (such as LFO rate or amount) in the modulation section under the Global shell.

Obviously of course if you wanted to map this data to something that isn't already receiving those MIDI messages (like send levels or something), you'd have to do some clever routing or perhaps use M4L.

One way you can sort of do this is by using an external MIDI routing tool such as Bome's or something like Pure Data. You can have it transform and return MIDI messages on a virtual MIDI port that's quick-mapped to a parameter using Live's mapping interface. Obviously this is kind of rube-goldberg though.

Did I understand your question right?

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Just started using Ableton with my Novation Ultranova.

I was messing around yesterday and layered some tracks with my synth. I saved the project then came back to it today.

When I play the project now, it sounds all loud/garbled - something is obviously wrong. However I exported the track to a .wav to test and it sounded fine. So it's only sounding weird within Ableton.

Any ideas?

e- Trying to record on a track right now and it is echoing whatever i'm playing and at a 1/2 step down, no matter which key I press? So weird... I think it has to do with my Output Config. Right now all 4 are selected (1mono&2mono, 3mono&4mono, 1/2stereo, 3/4stereo)

http://i.imgur.com/k58Es.jpg - pic of my session

I probably messed something up with the workflow. I was simply copy/pasting the tracks, then just deleting what was in them and recording into them.

khysanth fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 31, 2012

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
If it sounds like crap while playing back in Ableton, but sounds fine when you export it, it's likely an issue with your audio interface (or lack thereof). Go into the audio settings and check what the "Driver Type" "Audio Device" and "Buffer Size" are set to. For "Drive Type", you want it to be set to ASIO if that is an option. If that's not an option, try changing the "Audio Device" (if there's more than one option) and seeing if ASIO is a driver option for any of them. If that doesn't work, try increasing the buffer size (if you can't do this in this settings window, click "Hardware Setup"). A higher buffer can fix playback issues, but will also increase latency (time from when you play a note and when you actually hear it). Increase the buffer in steps until your issues go away. Also verify the "In/Out Sample Rate" is set to 44100 or 48000. If you're using onboard sound or a consumer soundcard marketed for multimedia and games, you may not be able to get clear playback without an unacceptably high buffer. If that's the case, an audio interface (soundcard designed for music production) is the solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

I'm fairly sure that isn't the exact problem. The Ultranova IS an audio device/sound card and i'm using ASIO and all of the manufacturer/Ableton recommended settings on that front.