Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Sockington posted:

Since I'm buying a new Subaru tomorrow morning, I may have a completely rebuilt 2.5TS shortblock from Outfront Motorsports sitting in my garage.

Maybe we could work something out.

Definitely! Give me an email matt_bred @ hotmail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
$450 is an amazing deal for that. I thought it was cool that there was a $700 '99 Forester with absolutely no engine for sale locally but your deal blows it out of the water.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yay, the bracket finally yielded.

I torched it a few times last night and soaked it with PB blaster all night and again this morning and this evening.

I then started whacking the opposite end of the bracket once on each side. That finally got the bolt to wiggle in the hole and I was able to pound the bracket off. The remainder of the bolt threaded off the bracket easily.

Now all I need is a new bolt for the caliper bracket and I'll be back in business.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

I got a set of team dynamics pro race 1.2s for my 08 LGT and noticed when driving home on the highway that they vibrated at around 60mph. I figured no big deal I'll get them rebalanced. Took it to another shop and he proceeded to show me they did such a bad job initially that the balance would of been better had they not even bothered to balance them. I think great, properly balanced wheels. Vibration still there only now it doesn't always vibrate. We're driving through Montana right now and some sections the car is perfectly smooth at 78mph and others it's having a seizure. I did change the front wheel bearing prior to putting on the new wheels. Torqued the axle nut with a proper calibrated stahlwille torque stick, staked it, and retorqued a hundred miles later. I'm slightly paranoid that is coming off, but not that paranoid. I'm going to rotate front to back and also get an alignment. Any other thoughts on this? This car was very smooth prior to these wheels and will be upset if one of them was hosed from new.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Holy poo poo that 450 TS is a smoking deal. Probably less of a basket case than my 600 dollar legacy.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Slow is Fast posted:

Holy poo poo that 450 TS is a smoking deal. Probably less of a basket case than my 600 dollar legacy.

I'm really excited about it. It's got some bad dents and a bit of rust on the driver side but nothing a new door and some paint can't fix.

Best part is it comes with very new looking winter tires as well. Such a wicked deal I can't get over it. Will probably fix it up for $1000 and sell for around $4-5k.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Anything I should watch for when looking at third gen Imprezas?

I'm just starting to look at used ones now, probably be ready to pull the trigger sometime late this year/early next. I need to replace my wife's 2003 Mazda 6 and she's been lusting after a hatchback and would like something with AWD (we live in the snow belt of NE Ohio.) I'm putting my foot down and forcing her to learn how to drive stick so it'll be a 5 speed, and given our projected financial situation I'll be looking at 2007-9s (maybe 2010s if the price is right.)

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
2007 is still 2nd gen.

Got about half done with my clutch job today - everything came apart really easily but I smashed the poo poo out of my finger when opening the trans drain plug AKA the first loving thing I did today, so I was down a finger and moving slowly. It's awesome working on a car that is only 5 years old and got regular washes during winter.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Geoj posted:

I'm just starting to look at used ones now, probably be ready to pull the trigger sometime late this year/early next. I need to replace my wife's 2003 Mazda 6 and she's been lusting after a hatchback and would like something with AWD (we live in the snow belt of NE Ohio.) I'm putting my foot down and forcing her to learn how to drive stick so it'll be a 5 speed, and given our projected financial situation I'll be looking at 2007-9s (maybe 2010s if the price is right.)

Maybe get the best of the second generation rather than a more run down third gen at the same price. Love my new to me 06.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Is the stock flywheel for an EJ255 two piece? I got the flywheel to put in, but it doesn't include anywhere for it to, you know, connect to the engine. I'm assuming the back side of the flywheel comes off and has the holes to mount to the engine.

edit: I'll be able to pull a plate off the back that looks like this, right?

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 8, 2012

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Sockington posted:

Maybe get the best of the second generation rather than a more run down third gen at the same price. Love my new to me 06.

Thought about it, but she doesn't like the wagon-like second generation hatchbacks, plus everything around me on autotrader is well over 100,000 miles. FWIW I'm looking at sub-50,000 miles single owner/off lease for around $15k.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

Sockington posted:

Same here my 06 has been great to me.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Eww '06s. Blob-eye supremacy :)

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

kylej posted:

Eww '06s. Blob-eye supremacy :)

Why I eyes ya. :catdrugs:

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

Geoj posted:

As was mentioned above, third gen is 2008+. Avoid the 2008 though, I think it's universally thought of as the worst year WRX (lovely suspension, first year of the new design, and they added 45 more HP then next year). I have a 2010 5-door WRX, but it's only got about 30k miles on it and nothing's gone wrong yet. I don't know if I have any advice on stuff to watch for.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

syphon posted:

Avoid the 2008 though, I think it's universally thought of as the worst year WRX (lovely suspension, first year of the new design, and they added 45 more HP then next year)

Does this carry over to the regular Impreza? As much as I'd like the idea of having a WRX I can't really justify the price, and I'd be afraid of buying used.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 9, 2012

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Geoj posted:

Does this carry over to the regular Impreza? As much as I'd like the idea of having a WRX I can't really justify the price, and I'd be afraid of buying used.

Then save up because na imprezas are lame.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Question for Jamal/other Subaru gods:

Went to install the AVO TMIC I bought. However, there's a hilarious boost leak (I couldn't even go into boost) where the BPV bolts up to the TMIC. Turns out the bolt holes where the BPV goes are stripped.. it just spins endlessly. Is there a way to fix this? Should I drill all the way through and just get a long bolt/nut?

Also, are you supposed to use the blue AVO gasket + the Subaru BPV O-Ring at the same time?

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

blargle posted:

Is there a way to fix this?
Should I drill all the way through and just get a long bolt/nut?

Also, are you supposed to use the blue AVO gasket + the Subaru BPV O-Ring at the same time?

Helicoil.
No.
No idea, does the AVO have a groove for the factory o ring?

blargle
Apr 3, 2007

Lord Gaga posted:

Helicoil.
No.
No idea, does the AVO have a groove for the factory o ring?

The o-ring groove is on the bottom of the BPV in the newer cars (I have a forge BPV and the stock BPV has it as well.)

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
oops then yea if its flat surface to o ring groove you reuse the o ring

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Lord Gaga posted:

Then save up because na imprezas are lame.

See also; this is going to be my wife's daily driver.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Geoj posted:

See also; this is going to be my wife's daily driver.

Meh, there is nothing wrong with NA Imprezas. Cheaper gas, less poo poo to worry about. Run forever.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

c355n4 posted:

Meh, there is nothing wrong with NA Imprezas. Cheaper gas, less poo poo to worry about. Run forever.

I second this. I have an N/A and sure maybe I'm not too fast and too furious but my wallet stays curious. (As in why am I not pouring money into my car)

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

For an econobox the NA Imprezas are pretty fast.

Also, I answered my own question: yes, the flywheel is two pieces. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find any kind of tool to remove the roundy inverted-Torx bits holding the pieces together, so I'm going to go down to the Subaru dealer and beg for them to split the old one and assemble the new one.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
You mean external torx? Harbor freight should have a socket set for that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

As a capstone to my epic brake battle.

I went to the dealership on Saturday and picked up 4 new caliper bracket bolts since the others were pretty rusted too. I got everything assembled. New rotors installed, new pads installed, all bolts torqued down. Ready basically to put the wheels back on.

I thought to myself, "Maybe I should bleed the fronts a bit since I pushed the calipers pistons back in. I'll just try the bleeder easily to see if it budges."

I barely touched the drat thing, snapped clean off. Mother fucker. Why didn't I leave well enough alone?

An hour and one reman caliper later, I was back in business and the car passed inspection today. I'm just glad autozone had calipers in stock otherwise I wouldn't have been able to get the car inspected today.

If there's one thing that's going to get me to get rid of my 2002 and just have my 2011 is goddamn rust. It seems I only have about a 40% chance of touching anything on the car and not having it snap off due to it being seized by rust.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

dyne posted:

You mean external torx? Harbor freight should have a socket set for that.

These things are really short, and every torx socket I found weren't straight down all the way, they were kind of tapered on the outer end, causing it to not bite onto the bolt and round it. I tried one of those Craftsman universal sockets, which are straight the entire way, and it couldn't get them either.

The bolts are kind of rounded, too. They're either something the Subaru dealer would have, or something that's never intended to be disassembled (which would make me getting only half a flywheel really infuriating.)

bull3964 posted:

If there's one thing that's going to get me to get rid of my 2002 and just have my 2011 is goddamn rust. It seems I only have about a 40% chance of touching anything on the car and not having it snap off due to it being seized by rust.

I've been freaking out about how easy it's been working on my 07. Five Chicago / Madison winters and the only bolt I had a problem with across the whole transmission drop was snapping an exhaust bolt. Everything else has come out without issue.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 9, 2012

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

For an econobox the NA Imprezas are pretty fast.
This is true. I know my lead foot doesn't need any more speed to be tempted with that's for sure.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
I've gotta disagree about the NA Imprezas. I've driven a few (one rental car for two weeks, and the occasional loaner) and the 2008 was terrible. The interior was poo poo (interiors aren't Subaru's strengths already) and the engine and tranny were miserable. To put it into perspective, the Chevy Cobalt was a WAY better car than the 2008 Impreza I drove. It even handled roughly the same in the snow.

I'd recommend an Outback sport (same basic car but maybe a bit more utility) or even a Legacy over the base model Impreza. It's that underwhelming.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

blargle posted:

Question for Jamal/other Subaru gods:

Went to install the AVO TMIC I bought. However, there's a hilarious boost leak (I couldn't even go into boost) where the BPV bolts up to the TMIC. Turns out the bolt holes where the BPV goes are stripped.. it just spins endlessly. Is there a way to fix this? Should I drill all the way through and just get a long bolt/nut?

That's odd. They should be m8x1.25 which is the stock thread pitch so if that's right and they just did a lovely job cutting them in the first place I want to let them know about it. I kind of know some of the guys at avo usa (I actually know the japan guy better), so I will send them, and the distributor it came from, an e-mail.

You definitely don't want to drill all the way through. That would make it really hard to tighten the BPV back down. A helicoil kit is probably the best solution. You will have to be careful to not drill the hole out any farther down than it needs to be, a clamp on stop would be a good idea- you can line it up against the insert to get the right depth.

The BPV is plastic and has an o-ring groove in it, right? Just use the o-ring. The regular gasket would only be for if you had an aftermarket bpv/bov with a flat flange.

Also, with the IC off it is a very good idea to stick a zip tie on the line from the manifold to the bpv. it likes to slip off.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I ordered an M6x1 helicoil kit after looking up the AVO install doc and measuring the bolts. The holes already go all the way through into the IC (they have to, due to the way the WRX TMIC is designed, so I'm a little concerned about metal shavings getting sucked into the engine when I drill for the helicoil.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

syphon posted:

I've gotta disagree about the NA Imprezas. I've driven a few (one rental car for two weeks, and the occasional loaner) and the 2008 was terrible. The interior was poo poo (interiors aren't Subaru's strengths already) and the engine and tranny were miserable. To put it into perspective, the Chevy Cobalt was a WAY better car than the 2008 Impreza I drove. It even handled roughly the same in the snow.

Automatic or Stick? Stick makes a huge difference in responsiveness and drivetrain lockup (automatic is 90f/10r and manual is 50/50).

Alphius
Nov 5, 2009

blargle posted:

I ordered an M6x1 helicoil kit after looking up the AVO install doc and measuring the bolts. The holes already go all the way through into the IC (they have to, due to the way the WRX TMIC is designed, so I'm a little concerned about metal shavings getting sucked into the engine when I drill for the helicoil.

Coat the drill bit in axle grease and go slow. Clean it off often. That should help minimize the amount of shavings in the core.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

Sockington posted:

Automatic or Stick? Stick makes a huge difference in responsiveness and drivetrain lockup (automatic is 90f/10r and manual is 50/50).

I thought 06's (auto) had 60 front 40 rear?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

blargle posted:

Is it new? If so, just tell em you want a new one.
My avo stripped out after like 2 years at the same place, but that is different.
New should be perfect and knowing what they cost, it better be perfect.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

blargle posted:

My avo stripped out after like 2 years at the same place, but that is different.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

Sockington posted:

These were rental/loaner cars and we're in America. No way in hell I could find a stick to save my life! (so yeah, they were automatic).

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

syphon posted:

These were rental/loaner cars and we're in America. No way in hell I could find a stick to save my life! (so yeah, they were automatic).

Ah, thought you *might* have got a manual loaner (highly unlikely) from the dealer or something.

Kolta posted:

I thought 06's (auto) had 60 front 40 rear?

I thought the ACT-4 (Active Torque Split) only moved power when it detected slipping of the wheels. I didn't know different years had a different pre-set bias.

I thought it was "could go to 60/40" but actually runs in 90/10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blargle
Apr 3, 2007

nm posted:

Even if they gave me a new one the metal is so soft in that location I feel like it's worth putting a helicoil in there anyway. I'm guessing this is a used unit and the previous owner stripped the threads on the first try.