Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
New latch time... what model/year? You can get brand new XJ latches for like 35 bucks each from a site I found a while ago.

It'll probably act up from now on if you do manage to get it unjammed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So uh, I wasn't expecting this to happen today, but, ya it did!

2012 Unlimited Sport with Customer Preferred package 23s which includes the following

17" Wheel 255/75R17 tires
Power convenience group
power heated mirros
Power windows/locks
Remote Keyless entry
Security Alarm
Leather wrapper steering wheel
Chrome/Leather Shift knob
Tinted Windows
And the absolute most awesome thing is the Connectivity Group
Bluetooth stereo and all the controls for it on the steering wheel.
Trac-Lok LSRD
Infinity sound system with sub

Now, I owen a 97 or 98 Jeep, whichever year was the first with the round head lights again. It was the first car I ever bought and I loved the thing. This is like a completely different vehicle! Nevermind the fact my old one was the crap 4cyl auto, the engine in this thing is awesome! Rides smoother than I expected and is just all around awesome.

So, are there any must do first mods? I'd like a 1 1/2 - 2 1/2" lift, but will probably wait a bit before doing that. What else?

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

mattfl posted:

Keyless entry

Anyone who has a soft top has this.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

commissargribb posted:

Lol, true, very true.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

mattfl posted:

So, are there any must do first mods? I'd like a 1 1/2 - 2 1/2" lift, but will probably wait a bit before doing that. What else?

Grab your rear-view mirror and rotate it 180 degrees upside down so the "dimmer" tab is on top. You'd be amazed how much better you can see out the back AND the front.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

ethanol posted:

If I drop the track bar, I have to drop the pitman the same length, right? If I buy an adjustable track bar, do I still have to drop the pitman arm?

Not really. Swapping pitman arms is usually something you only need to do in the 5"+ lift range. As long as your drag link and track bar are relatively parallel (at the mounts) you should be fine. Several aftermarket track bar mfg's include a dropped frame-side bracket anyway.

jhcain posted:

The only thing I've thought of is that the track bar is wrong (bought another one, compared, nope. Looks fine) or that perhaps the track bar mount on the frame is bent?

Given that you've replaced just about everything else, a bent bracket would be my only guess (either frame or axle-side or both). I'm not sure how much clearance there is normally, but it probably wouldn't take much to kick it out of tolerance.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
So here's a question: what are the various merits of ZJs (particularly the "second gen" ones) vs XJs? I pretty much know the various pros/cons of XJs but are any ZJs any good? Most important: are ZJs something to stay away from, on average? I know most of the reason they're so common is because they rode that best-selling 2WD SUV train for a while, but are there good 4WD models to be found out there that are worth getting?

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS
gently caress. I forgot to put the bolt back in the crank nose before pulling the harmonic balancer. Managed to punch out each and every one of the threads in the nose. :smithicide:

Guess I'll see if the machine shop can Helicoil it when they're honing the block. I'd rather have a 258 crank, but I'll be damned if I've been able to find one.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

OneOverZero posted:

gently caress. I forgot to put the bolt back in the crank nose before pulling the harmonic balancer. Managed to punch out each and every one of the threads in the nose. :smithicide:

Guess I'll see if the machine shop can Helicoil it when they're honing the block. I'd rather have a 258 crank, but I'll be damned if I've been able to find one.

Wow that blows. Are you sure you didn't only wreck the first one or two?

I think I might know someone who has one.

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

Nah, I blew through every last one because I was too busy blasting blues rock to pay attention. It does look like I could use a Helicol or Timecert without too much difficulty, though I'd probably still take it to work or a machine shop to ensure it's chucked properly. Should've just swapped in this 296k junkyard engine without putzing with it; the one in my truck has gone at least 2000mi on zero oil pressure and a collapsed lifter, so clock's ticking.

That said, if there's a 258 crank available, I'm up for it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

mattfl posted:

So uh, I wasn't expecting this to happen today, but, ya it did!

Are you going off-road? Front bumper and a winch, you may want a leveling kit if the nose dips too much from the weight. Ace rock sliders. Also, give me your wheels (I wish I would've gotten the 17s instead of the 16s). If the hood jumps in the wind, Daystar makes hood latches for like $25 that'll cure it.

Seconding the rearview mirror. Makes a world of difference. Also, remove your sideview mirrors and drill a small hole at the very bottom of the piece that attaches to the door. The mirror base is mostly hollow and will fill up with like half a loving gallon of water every time it rains and it will never evaporate. It'll fly out of there and in through your window days/weeks later and every time you wash the drat thing.

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

VH4Ever posted:

So here's a question: what are the various merits of ZJs (particularly the "second gen" ones) vs XJs? I pretty much know the various pros/cons of XJs but are any ZJs any good? Most important: are ZJs something to stay away from, on average? I know most of the reason they're so common is because they rode that best-selling 2WD SUV train for a while, but are there good 4WD models to be found out there that are worth getting?
Comparing a '98 ZJ Laredo SE (4.0L/42RE) to a similarly-equipped XJ (4.0L/AW4) - the ZJ is a more comfortable ride, to be sure. Headroom, legroom, and such are much improved, and I can manage 25-26mpg on the highway due to overdrive and decent aerodynamics. It's a bit floaty even with new shocks and steering stabilizer, but that's not terribly surprising for a fifteen-year-old, somewhat underdamped, undersprung solid-axle vehicle. 4WD models are a but stiffer and better-damped. That said, even though a 2WD 4.0 ZJ is only ~350-400lb heavier than a 4WD 4.0 XJ, the ZJ seems slow as poo poo by comparison.

The 42RE (behind the 4.0) has a bad rep for unreliability, the overwhelming majority of which is caused by people using the wrong goddamned fluid. Use friction modifiers and it'll last 50k, use the proper stuff and it'll go 250k. 44RE (5.2L) and 46RE (5.9L) are stouter.

Bear in mind that ZJs have more interior electronics to look out for. The Laredo SE was pretty well-equipped (essentially a Limited interior albeit with cloth seats), and my only problem has been the overhead console (resets to 19.7MPG AVG with every key cycle).

I'd say it's every bit as solid as an XJ, mechanically, so long as you're prepared to find one that has been maintained properly.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Godholio posted:

Are you going off-road? Front bumper and a winch, you may want a leveling kit if the nose dips too much from the weight. Ace rock sliders. Also, give me your wheels (I wish I would've gotten the 17s instead of the 16s). If the hood jumps in the wind, Daystar makes hood latches for like $25 that'll cure it.

Seconding the rearview mirror. Makes a world of difference. Also, remove your sideview mirrors and drill a small hole at the very bottom of the piece that attaches to the door. The mirror base is mostly hollow and will fill up with like half a loving gallon of water every time it rains and it will never evaporate. It'll fly out of there and in through your window days/weeks later and every time you wash the drat thing.

So I spent $10 and did this today

It's the bed liner in a can stuff. I think it looks awesome and will hold me over until I can get a proper set of wheels/tires.

Did the review mirror and yeah it makes a huge difference. Will do the mirrors tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Drove to New Hampshire today to do a saber detail for a wedding. Now I want to go drive through the White Mountains again.

mattfl posted:

It's the bed liner in a can stuff. I think it looks awesome and will hold me over until I can get a proper set of wheels/tires.

Seriously if you can, skip the canned bed liner and get the roll on stuff. It's not expensive and you can get it at walmart. I have the spray stuff on the inside of mine and it scrapes and chips. If I were to do it over again I would use the roll on stuff.

OneOverZero posted:

That said, if there's a 258 crank available, I'm up for it.

:hurr: I'll have an entire 258 available soonish.

Godholio posted:

Are JKs really made so terribly that you need a leveling kit to fix the suspension after installing a winch and a new front bumper and the factory hood latches dont hold the hood shut?

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 8, 2012

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Needing a leveling kit for an aftermarket bumper and a winch is not that surprising, winches generally weigh 50-100 pounds and an aftermarket bumper can easily add another 100 if it's a heavy duty armored one. All hanging well past the suspension, it tends to cause a bit of sag.

The hood latch thing is kinda stupid though.

edit: my bumpers are ~5 feet long, at 15.6lb/ft for 2x6 1/4 wall steel box tube, that's 80 pounds just for the bumper, nevermind the 1/4" thick mounting tabs or 4x7x1" thick D-ring tabs (~8lbs each.) Bumper weight adds up fast if you want it to be rock proof.

kastein fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 8, 2012

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kastein posted:

All hanging well past the suspension, it tends to cause a bit of sag.

When I think of sag, I think of that V8 hanging off the crane pulling down the front end of your MJ.

kastein posted:

Bumper weight adds up fast if you want it to be rock proof.

Dude, I'm pretty sure your bumper could stop a .308 ball round.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

mattfl posted:

Did the review mirror and yeah it makes a huge difference. Will do the mirrors tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions.

Those look awesome, and that's what I wanted to do to them.

For the sideview mirrors...most states require you to have at least the driver's side in place, so if you remove the doors you need to relocate them. Quadratec (and other sites) sell relocation brackets for the factory mirrors...takes about 5-10 minutes to move each.

I moved my driver's side only. If you move the passenger side mirror, then put the doors back on, the door will block like half (or more) of the mirror. I only care about it when I have the doors/top on, so I just left that mirror in place. If I have the doors off I have a better field of view over my shoulder (I always look).

Every generation Wrangler has had hood lift issues. YJ/TJ/JK...I've never driven a CJ. The main latches move...it's how they work. The JK Daystars are just a little shorter in length, and don't stretch as much. They hold the hood down much tighter...takes a little more effort to latch them.

Edit: And there are several JK bumpers out there that weigh 150 lbs or more. Add a winch on there, and you basically have a mid-sized GBS poster standing on your bumper. You don't think it'll sag?

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

commissargribb posted:

Seriously if you can, skip the canned bed liner and get the roll on stuff.

So very true. I only use cans for touch-ups, the roll-on stuff is more durable, and covers WAAAAY more square footage so it's much more cost effective. Plus, you'll avoid the hazard of asphyxiating yourself while coating the inside of you tub.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Godholio posted:

I moved my driver's side only. If you move the passenger side mirror, then put the doors back on, the door will block like half (or more) of the mirror. I only care about it when I have the doors/top on, so I just left that mirror in place. If I have the doors off I have a better field of view over my shoulder (I always look).

^this absolutely. Though honestly after replaced my lovely tiny door mounted mirrors with cowling mounted ones I could see the passenger side one with the hard doors but not with the soft doors since the window is a little smaller.

And like you said when you're driving open air in the back is really reduces those rear passenger side blind spots. I would still use a mirror there if you were towing something too but I suppose you could throw doors on for that.

Godholio posted:

Every generation Wrangler has had hood lift issues. YJ/TJ/JK...I've never driven a CJ. The main latches move...it's how they work. The JK Daystars are just a little shorter in length, and don't stretch as much. They hold the hood down much tighter...takes a little more effort to latch them.

OH! HOOD LIFTS. I thought you were talking about latches.

Yeah, my jeep doesnt even have hood lifts. I just have my arms.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 8, 2012

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I'm pretty sure the rear main seal on my 99 XJ is starting to go out. I'm noticing more oil leaking than normal, and looking at the engine I can see fresh oil staining the end nearest the transmission, mostly on the driver side under the intake & exhaust headers. For folks that have done their RMS, does this sound like what you saw too?

How much will I hate life if I change the seal myself? There are a couple good youtube videos walking through the process, and it looks like the worst part is dropping the oil pan and dealing with the mess (2 part seal means no need to separate the trans at least).

If I do the seal, should I replace anything else while I have the pan down like the oil pump? I have 170k on my XJ but haven't noticed any problems with the pump.

Crane
Jun 10, 2004

:chord:

commissargribb posted:

OH! HOOD LIFTS. I thought you were talking about latches.

Yeah, my jeep even have hood lifts. I just have my arms.
They are talking about latches, when you drive the wind will "lift" your hood a fraction, the wiggle can be distracting so you buy a latch that is a little tighter.
I love how cheap everything can be for the wrangler, a rock goes through my headlight on my Mustang and it costs $300+ for the plastic transparent assembly that holds the $30 light bulb.

Jeep was $12 for the whole thing. $200 for a new windshield, last time I replaced the mustangs windshield it was like $600 if I remember correctly.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

You know what's even better? Comanches... my windshield costs $170 if I have someone else do it, and it's around 40 bucks for the glass itself, plus 30 or so for urethane and primer if I do it myself.

rear axle? $100
engine? $100
transmission? $free auto, $150-200 manual
transfer case? $50-100
front axle? $100
shocks? $23 stock
control arms? $free stock
ujoints? $6 each driveshaft, $25 each frontend
new springs, front? $160
new springs, rear? $300 shipped

kastein fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 8, 2012

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Crane posted:

They are talking about latches, when you drive the wind will "lift" your hood a fraction, the wiggle can be distracting so you buy a latch that is a little tighter.

oh weird. I've literally never encountered this ever. Even when I forget to latch the hood on the sides.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
This is what happens when you let your sister drive your Jeep for 4 months:

That brake 'pad' is worn all the way down to the backing plate and is starting to gouge nice grooves in the outer edge of the rotor.

:sigh: At least new rotors are cheap as hell.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mod sassinator posted:

That brake 'pad' is worn all the way down to the backing plate and is starting to gouge nice grooves in the outer edge of the rotor.

Mine did the same thing to my XJ. In addition to off roading and tearing the poo poo out of my exhaust.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

commissargribb posted:

I dont ever lock my jeep

mod sassinator posted:

My dad sits on the board for Bendix. I dont even know what breaks cost :)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

JEEVES420 posted:

I dont ever lock my jeep

My dad sits on the board for Bendix. I dont even know what breaks cost :)

Well it depends on what exactly. As an example breaking an axleshaft costs me 30 dollars.

Crane
Jun 10, 2004

:chord:
I never lock my jeep either, I don't keep valuables in it and leave stuff in plain sight so people don't get curious. If I lock the plastic glovebox or console then someone's just gonna take a screwdriver to it to see if anythings worth stealing. Plus if the doors are locked I don't want someone taking a knife to the ragtop to snoop around. Only time I've locked it is when I bought a TV and was hauling it home, but I had my tinted window hardtop on then.

Anyways I always have the little mini-safe that fits in the spare tire void for if I wanna leave my wallet when I'm swimming.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

JEEVES420 posted:

I dont ever lock my jeep

Crane posted:

I never lock my jeep either, I don't keep valuables in it and leave stuff in plain sight so people don't get curious. If I lock the plastic glovebox or console then someone's just gonna take a screwdriver to it to see if anythings worth stealing. Plus if the doors are locked I don't want someone taking a knife to the ragtop to snoop around. Only time I've locked it is when I bought a TV and was hauling it home, but I had my tinted window hardtop on then.

I dont even know where my keys are to my soft doors or if I ever received them when I bought them online. When I'm parked doorless I usually loop a bicycle chain through the doors since they're probably the most expensive thing on the jeep. My center console is a 30mm ammo can at the moment but I'd like to eventually rig it up to take a padlock.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

That ammo can is great.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Georgia Peach posted:

That ammo can is great.

Thanks. I keep putting off modifying it so it's more useful. I want to take a cutting wheel and trim the edges of the cover a little and then replace the rear latch with a simple steel hinge or otherwise make it so it doesnt come off. Add drain holes, thicker mounting bolts so I can be sure it wont get torn out etc.

Plus of course I want to make the front accept a padlock. I can fit a fairly good sized laptop inside when it's empty but it's generally 50% full of repair stuff.

Guru Yaekob
Feb 6, 2011

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! OFFERS 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE TO ANY LIBERAL - SA MEMBER STARTS TO ACCEPT, THEN BACKS OUT AND WETS PANTS AFTER LEARNING IRONKNUCKLE HAS DEBATED ON TELEVISION BEFORE! READ HERE
Ok so I was taking off my doors and like a dummy I disconnected the strap then walked away for a second and my door swung and hit my Jeep and put a nice dent in it. Does anyone have any idea how much this would cost to fix? I wont be able to get it in until next next weekend and I'm curious. Its not bad but its on the part that's about 2 inches above my antenna. I could pop it out with a hammer but that piece is welded to the part my antenna is on, so I cant get in behind it. Even if I take off the part the wipers go through I can't get to it because there is a wall.

Guru Yaekob fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 9, 2012

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Call a PDR guy.

Or move that trail rated badge up a couple of inches to cover it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That should be about the cheapest dent you could get.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
So I was dropping off my DD to get an exhaust leak fixed when I saw this parked at the garage.

A Willys Overland CJ3B

BEST PART:

PTO hook/wrecker mechanism? Not 100% sure what this is.

Guru Yaekob posted:

Ok so I was taking off my doors and like a dummy I disconnected the strap then walked away for a second and my door swung and hit my Jeep and put a nice dent in it. Does anyone have any idea how much this would cost to fix? I wont be able to get it in until next next weekend and I'm curious. Its not bad but its on the part that's about 2 inches above my antenna. I could pop it out with a hammer but that piece is welded to the part my antenna is on, so I cant get in behind it. Even if I take off the part the wipers go through I can't get to it because there is a wall.

Can you still open the hood?

looks good from here.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 9, 2012

Guru Yaekob
Feb 6, 2011

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! OFFERS 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE TO ANY LIBERAL - SA MEMBER STARTS TO ACCEPT, THEN BACKS OUT AND WETS PANTS AFTER LEARNING IRONKNUCKLE HAS DEBATED ON TELEVISION BEFORE! READ HERE

commissargribb posted:

Can you still open the hood?

looks good from here.

I can spot it from across a parking lot. It just stares at me, yeah I can open the hood, that piece has nothing to do with the hood at all.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Hey, I went to a place and did some stuff:

Braincloud fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 10, 2012

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

someone in mass (or the surrounding area) who wants a really good base for a restoration project PLEASE buy this before he scraps it.

I'd put it in the CL thread, but not many people outside the jeep community would want this.

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=36364

super clean 89 shortbed MJ chassis and bed. It's worth more than that for just the bed. If I had cash, plans for another MJ (I only have plans for two) and the ability to park a third unplated vehicle in my yard I would have already jumped on this.

if someone picks it up and hacks it up or does nothing with it or can't decide what the hell to do with it I cut you :ese:

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

kastein posted:

someone in mass (or the surrounding area) who wants a really good base for a restoration project PLEASE buy this before he scraps it.

I'd put it in the CL thread, but not many people outside the jeep community would want this.

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=36364

super clean 89 shortbed MJ chassis and bed. It's worth more than that for just the bed. If I had cash, plans for another MJ (I only have plans for two) and the ability to park a third unplated vehicle in my yard I would have already jumped on this.

if someone picks it up and hacks it up or does nothing with it or can't decide what the hell to do with it I cut you :ese:

This is why I need a house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Slow is Fast posted:

This is why I need a house.

yes. yes it is.

if you supply a set of license plates you are welcome to store it at my place. just no unplated vehicles... sketchyplated MJs welcome.

Hell, park it next to the blue one and when I start converting it to the V8 setup I'll stuff the old drivetrain right in it.