Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Duckman2008 posted:

The stock ICS keyboard is better, Samsung has something like swift key setup on theirs. And I probably will root, point is as always that it's retarded that you have to.

Everyone complained about all the crap in Sense 3.0, which actually never bothered me that much. This seems to be even more bloat on it, echo just seems to be crazy,

You can disable most preloaded apps in the app manager and hide icons within the launcher. I don't really use any preloaded stuff except for s voice.

It doesn't take more that 15 minutes to get the bloatware out if the way. In the end you're stuck with a lock screen which isn't horrible, a voice control app which is easy enough to ignore if you don't like it, and a very clean and unobtrusive launcher.

People make this sound like it's 2007 with most new computers crippled by bloat. I don't think any of the bloatware has impacted my user experience negatively other than by taking a minute to hide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

Giblet posted:

You can disable most preloaded apps in the app manager and hide icons within the launcher. I don't really use any preloaded stuff except for s voice.

It doesn't take more that 15 minutes to get the bloatware out if the way. In the end you're stuck with a lock screen which isn't horrible, a voice control app which is easy enough to ignore if you don't like it, and a very clean and unobtrusive launcher.

People make this sound like it's 2007 with most new computers crippled by bloat. I don't think any of the bloatware has impacted my user experience negatively other than by taking a minute to hide.

Yeah I've got an S3 and I wasn't particularly bothered by the bloat. I just hid the stuff I never wanted to see and customized the hell out of the home screens and it just about doesn't even feel like Touchwiz anymore. Also, I looooove smart stay. I don't even know if I could go back to using a phone that didn't have it.

The only thing that's still bothering me about the phone is that it seems like I have to manually connect my bluetooth devices. I can't for the life of me just sit in my car and have it auto-connect. Maybe I'm just impatient and it takes a while but my Evo 3D would usually be connected within 30 seconds of sitting down.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
It is a bit ridiculous that they include three or four different apps whose sole purpose is to recommend other apps.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

Vykk.Draygo posted:

It is a bit ridiculous that they include three or four different apps whose sole purpose is to recommend other apps.

It is probably overkill but I'm pretty sure there's at least one post per page in the main Android thread that reads something like "So I'm about to get an Android phone ...uhhh, what apps should I get?" so I can kind of see why they have them.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

tomguycot posted:

It is probably overkill but I'm pretty sure there's at least one post per page in the main Android thread that reads something like "So I'm about to get an Android phone ...uhhh, what apps should I get?" so I can kind of see why they have them.

Except that the apps that those apps suggest are lovely apps for the most part. You'd be better off going into the Play Store and clicking on Staff Picks and Editor's Choice.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
Having an issue with my new EVO4GLTE. Whenever the screen turns off, it seems to freeze/shut down cellular and wifi connections. I have the wifi set to never sleep, but it doesn't seem to matter. If I start an App download over 3g and then let the screen fall asleep, I return later to find a stalled download, and it then continues downloading once I wake the device back up again.

I thought it might have been a singular issue, but this has been the case for the past 2 days now and it's driving me nuts. Why won't the 3G or Wifi connections stay active upon sleep?

A quick google search revealed very little regarding this seemingly huge misstep on HTC's part. Anyone else having this problem? I thought this might finally be the first phone I wouldn't have to root.

edit - Found this in case anyone is having the same problem, but this is way more complicated than I want to do.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1697375&highlight=smartsync

The Shep fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 7, 2012

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I've been lucky enough to have really excellent Sprint service at my house. Generally full bars (roughly -65-70 dbm), and pretty decent 3g speeds. I've noticed over the last 1-2 weeks that my signal has gotten MUCH worse (-95-105 dbm, ~1 bar), including handing off to 1x on a frequent basis. I have a CM9 Nexus S 4g, and I have changed ROMs a few times, but I have others in my house with a CM7 OG EVO, and a bone stock OG EVO who have noticed the same thing.

Any ideas why this may be happening? I've heard someone say that network vision upgrades or other network upgrades can mess with signal, but I don't know if that's true, or how long that would take. Is it possible someone got an Airrave near me, and I'm connecting to that (doesn't make sense given how good my service normally is, but is there a way I can tell?)? It has been really hot here over the last 2 weeks, but I have never heard anyone say that causes problems with wireless signals.

What should I do? Is there a number to call to complain?

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is it a Sprint thing or an Android/Apple thing that all messages from iPhone users come in as MMS messages that I have to "download"? Is there a way to fix that?

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

rock2much posted:

Is it a Sprint thing or an Android/Apple thing that all messages from iPhone users come in as MMS messages that I have to "download"? Is there a way to fix that?

Are you saying that when someone with an iPhone sends you a message its always as a MMS? That is definitely not normal and whoever is sending it to you is doing it.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

rock2much posted:

iPhones send group messages as MMS.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

goku chewbacca posted:

iPhones send group messages as MMS.
Yup, and when you reply to one it goes to everybody it was sent to. Kind of a pain.

Also, sometimes it thinks people have iMessage when they don't, and it also screws up text messaging (I think it happens when they use an iPhone then switch away from it).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Grumpwagon posted:

I've been lucky enough to have really excellent Sprint service at my house. Generally full bars (roughly -65-70 dbm), and pretty decent 3g speeds. I've noticed over the last 1-2 weeks that my signal has gotten MUCH worse (-95-105 dbm, ~1 bar), including handing off to 1x on a frequent basis. I have a CM9 Nexus S 4g, and I have changed ROMs a few times, but I have others in my house with a CM7 OG EVO, and a bone stock OG EVO who have noticed the same thing.

Any ideas why this may be happening? I've heard someone say that network vision upgrades or other network upgrades can mess with signal, but I don't know if that's true, or how long that would take. Is it possible someone got an Airrave near me, and I'm connecting to that (doesn't make sense given how good my service normally is, but is there a way I can tell?)? It has been really hot here over the last 2 weeks, but I have never heard anyone say that causes problems with wireless signals.

What should I do? Is there a number to call to complain?

Call general customer care and see if their is an outage first. That is possible. Where are you at?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Call general customer care and see if their is an outage first. That is possible. Where are you at?

Madison WI (53705). I'll try calling.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Funny, similar thing happened to me in Madison recently too (53711). Wife called and they said a tower was down so they sent us an airrave and it generally works fine. I just assumed they made up the tower down thing, it didn't seem like anything they should know offhand.

Sprint coverage and speeds in Madison overall have become utter poo poo in the last year or so, I'd love to know what is going on.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Well, I finally got sick of the horribly slow Internet speeds I've been getting with Sprint, so I forced my phone to use a Verizon prl. I instantly jumped from under 100 kbps to over 400. The upload is even faster for some reason. Time to see how long it takes for Sprint to cut me off. I've been reading that it usually takes about 4 months.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="405387628"]
Well, I finally got sick of the horribly slow Internet speeds I've been getting with Sprint, so I forced my phone to use a Verizon prl. I instantly jumped from under 100 kbps to over 400. The upload is even faster for some reason. Time to see how long it takes for Sprint to cut me off. I've been reading that it usually takes about 4 months.

I actually just put this on my personal phone yesterday when I upped my GNexus to Jellybean. Philly speeds are better either way, but if i have any issues I'll post them.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Duckman2008 posted:

I actually just put this on my personal phone yesterday when I upped my GNexus to Jellybean. Philly speeds are better either way, but if i have any issues I'll post them.

I sometimes wonder if Dan Hesse's phone has a hacked PRL on it.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

brc64 posted:

I sometimes wonder if Dan Hesse's phone has a hacked PRL on it.

Corporate PRL's allow for EVDO while roaming instead of just 1X.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lowen SoDium posted:

Corporate PRL's allow for EVDO while roaming instead of just 1X.

Not only that, from what I understand it is set to be more "roaming friendly" as well. So if you are in a low signal area, it is more likely to roam than a normal phone.

Either way, roam control is fantastic.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Duckman2008 posted:

Not only that, from what I understand it is set to be more "roaming friendly" as well. So if you are in a low signal area, it is more likely to roam than a normal phone.

Either way, roam control is fantastic.

That doesn't surprise me at all. It's the only way I can imagine Sprint execs can have a decent experience when they're traveling around. I wonder what their roaming data usage looks like...

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

brc64 posted:

That doesn't surprise me at all. It's the only way I can imagine Sprint execs can have a decent experience when they're traveling around. I wonder what their roaming data usage looks like...

Their roaming data would be 0, as they would have s Verizon phone :)

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Grumpwagon posted:

Madison WI (53705). I'll try calling.

To follow up on this, they said our near west side tower is being fixed and will be finished around 7/13. That's just fine by me, but I was wondering, is it really common for something to be down that long?

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/8/3145295/nokia-lumia-sprint-verizon-pureview-richard-kerris

I really hope this is true. I'd drop Android in a second if Sprint put out a Nokia phone.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

Stevie Lee posted:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/8/3145295/nokia-lumia-sprint-verizon-pureview-richard-kerris

I really hope this is true. I'd drop Android in a second if Sprint put out a Nokia phone.

If it's this, I'll have to pass: http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/6/2929811/nokia-lumia-pureview-concept-render

If it looks something like the Lumia 800 and has a next generation camera, I'd be tempted. There's no way this is going to come out until 2013 sometime, so who knows what iPhone and nexus will look like by then.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

Stevie Lee posted:

They updated it to say Sprint is not getting it, if I read it correctly. :(

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So I have a few questions. I recently read about the new Galaxy S3 and I like how it's got what apparently is a much longer battery life. I'm with Sprint, and I recently got (with contract) a Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch or whatever, but same poo poo). I love this phone, really, but the battery is a bit pitiful.

1. Is it worth it to upgrade from an S2 to an S3? Is the longer battery life substantially noticeable? My S2's battery barely lasts a 10 hour work shift (frequent use as a phone, constant use as an mp3 player)
2. When I got this phone, I got a credit of $5 off my purchase by turning in my ancient, lovely phone. I'm gonna assume an S2 would be worth more than that I hope. Does anyone happen to know how much?

My S2 was $200, but I'd be willing to fork over another $50 or so if that'll get me the bigger battery/better screen.

Alternatively: can anyone recommend a good replacement battery for a Galaxy S2? There are so many out there.

edit: to contribute to this page's discussion: I recently moved from Seattle to live in Dallas for a couple years, going back sometime late next year probably. I've been with Sprint for a while and their coverage/speeds in Seattle are great. In Dallas they are awful. I wonder what the deal is.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

WardeL posted:

So I have a few questions. I recently read about the new Galaxy S3 and I like how it's got what apparently is a much longer battery life. I'm with Sprint, and I recently got (with contract) a Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch or whatever, but same poo poo). I love this phone, really, but the battery is a bit pitiful.

1. Is it worth it to upgrade from an S2 to an S3? Is the longer battery life substantially noticeable? My S2's battery barely lasts a 10 hour work shift (frequent use as a phone, constant use as an mp3 player)
2. When I got this phone, I got a credit of $5 off my purchase by turning in my ancient, lovely phone. I'm gonna assume an S2 would be worth more than that I hope. Does anyone happen to know how much?

My S2 was $200, but I'd be willing to fork over another $50 or so if that'll get me the bigger battery/better screen.

Alternatively: can anyone recommend a good replacement battery for a Galaxy S2? There are so many out there.

edit: to contribute to this page's discussion: I recently moved from Seattle to live in Dallas for a couple years, going back sometime late next year probably. I've been with Sprint for a while and their coverage/speeds in Seattle are great. In Dallas they are awful. I wonder what the deal is.

Getting a gs3 while your in contract will cost you hundreds of dollars even if you sell your gs2.

I personally used the Samsung replacement battery and battery charger. I would just charge a batter in the phone and one in the charger overnight and take both with me.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WardeL posted:

Sprint is about to light up LTE in Dallas this weekend, so it is actually a good time to get an LTE phone.

Here's the problem, you signed a contract to get that Galaxy 2. Sprint isn't going to let you buy ANY phone at a discounted price until 20 months from when you got It. Therefore the S3 isn't $199 for you, bit actually $520. And the buyback for your epic touch is currently at just about $100, so basically if you want the phone you gotta buy it used. It sucks, but unless you can steal someone's upgrade that's the rules.

Battery life is great so far on this thing, reception and touchwiz are my two big complaints. Reception is good enough, but so far the nexus is noticeably better, my old arrive even more so.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Duckman2008 posted:

Here's the problem, you signed a contract to get that Galaxy 2. Sprint isn't going to let you buy ANY phone at a discounted price until 20 months from when you got It. Therefore the S3 isn't $199 for you, bit actually $520.

Wait, seriously? When I renewed my Sprint contract the salesman didn't tell me anything about that AT ALL. I specifically asked and the guy just said there'd be a cancellation fee if I bailed before two years were up. The contract itself said pretty much just that.

Well, that's lovely. I guess by the time 20 months are up a better phone will be out. :sigh:

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

WardeL posted:

Wait, seriously? When I renewed my Sprint contract the salesman didn't tell me anything about that AT ALL. I specifically asked and the guy just said there'd be a cancellation fee if I bailed before two years were up. The contract itself said pretty much just that.

Well, that's lovely. I guess by the time 20 months are up a better phone will be out. :sigh:

How did you think cell phone contracts worked?

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I had thought (and had it explained to me) that the contract meant I had to stay with Sprint, not that I was shackled to one particular phone.

I guess I was just lied to, or something.

e: not gonna kick up a fuss about it, I guess it's my fault for not reading it a bit more carefully and just trusting the salesguy to know what he was talking about. I guess he just wanted the sale, because don't they get commission?

Like I said, in two years they'll probably have a galaxy S 5 or some poo poo anyway so I'm probably better off just buying myself an extended/extra battery.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 9, 2012

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

How recently did you get the S2?

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
About two months ago.

vv Oh, that makes more sense. Other guy made it sound like it was a several hundred dollar fee/penalty for buying a new phone before my contract was up.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 9, 2012

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

WardeL posted:

I had thought (and had it explained to me) that the contract meant I had to stay with Sprint, not that I was shackled to one particular phone.

I guess I was just lied to, or something.

You're free to buy as many new phones as you want throughout your 2 year contract (which basically does just mean you have to stay with Sprint, or pay the early termination fee to get out of it), you just don't get to take advantage of the subsidized prices unless you're eligible for an upgrade (20 months after your last subsidized phone purchase). Upgrade/subsidized pricing and your contract term are different things. One benefit of buying a phone without using your eventual upgrade option is that your contract isn't renewed.

e; My bad, I forgot the upgrade schedule was changed.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 9, 2012

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

sirbeefalot posted:

You're free to buy as many new phones as you want throughout your 2 year contract (which basically does just mean you have to stay with Sprint, or pay the early termination fee to get out of it), you just don't get to take advantage of the subsidized prices unless you're eligible for an upgrade (22 months after your last subsidized phone purchase). Upgrade/subsidized pricing and your contract term are different things. One benefit of buying a phone without using your eventual upgrade option is that your contract isn't renewed.

I believe it's 20 months now.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Was looking at extended batteries. At first I was thinking that I didn't like how it made the back end stick out so far because then it wouldn't fit my little protective case thing anymore, but then I saw this video.

Holy poo poo, it's like I don't even need to have it in a case. Can anyone else attest to the durability of an Epic 4G Touch/Galaxy S2 without any sort of protection on it? For obvious reasons I'm not in a hurry to take mine outside and drop it on the concrete a dozen times to check.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

WardeL posted:

Was looking at extended batteries. At first I was thinking that I didn't like how it made the back end stick out so far because then it wouldn't fit my little protective case thing anymore, but then I saw this video.

Holy poo poo, it's like I don't even need to have it in a case. Can anyone else attest to the durability of an Epic 4G Touch/Galaxy S2 without any sort of protection on it? For obvious reasons I'm not in a hurry to take mine outside and drop it on the concrete a dozen times to check.

I have one and while I am paranoid as all hell, I have done some serious drops with this thing with and without cases on very hard floors. This thing is a tank.

There is an extended battery that also has a TPU case too, search Texell on Amazon. Or you could cut into one with a razor blade. That's what I did for mine. Its kind of ugly but I want to protect the corners.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Is this what you got? A little ugly how the back sticks out but I'm willing to deal with it for (apparently) over twice the battery life.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WardeL posted:

About two months ago.

vv Oh, that makes more sense. Other guy made it sound like it was a several hundred dollar fee/penalty for buying a new phone before my contract was up.

Well, you were asking about getting a phone for $200, so yeah it basically is that.

Galaxy 2 is a pretty good phone and I've gotten reports overall that it is pretty durable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lifehacker agrees: gently caress non-Nexus phones.

And they make a hell of a case with an analogy about marriage:

quote:

You might buy a new phone that's missing something, thinking, "It will get better." No, it won't. If I were to tell you one thing about buying technology, it is this: Buy something because you like what it is right now, not because you think it's going to get better, or that one day it'll be what you really wanted it to be. It's kind of like marrying somebody and thinking you'll change them and they'll get better. They might. But they probably won't. Over time, you'll just hate them even more. And yourself, at least a little.