Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

quote:

Needs more guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Mr. Despair posted:

Genie Air to Air nuclear weapon.

Air to air nuclear weapon, huh. Anti massed bomber formations? Because we can?

MagnumHB
Jan 19, 2003

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Needs more guns.
Here you are, albeit on a B-25 instead:

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Is this air museum at Ellsworth? I seem to recall seeing all those nukes on display inside their main building, and the fake B-2 from a 90s car commercial out front.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Needs more guns calibers.

(plus she's got two cheek .50s on the right side)
(also a B-26)

\/\/\/\/
Yeah, I meant B-25, like the one MagnumHB posted, as opposed to the A-26 at Ellsworth, which was different from the B-26, except after 1948, when it became the same.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 9, 2012

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

joat mon posted:

(plus she's got two cheek .50s on the right side)
(also a B-26)

Unless the B-26 grew a twin boom tail that's a B25.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Memento1979 posted:

Because we can.

Boomerjinks posted:

Is this air museum at Ellsworth? I seem to recall seeing all those nukes on display inside their main building, and the fake B-2 from a 90s car commercial out front.

That's the right one. The fake B-2's gone though,j it was in horrible condition and wasn't worth restoring (especially since it cleared up space to fit the B-1B there. )

Now they just need to get a B-36 somehow. Here's something they are restoring though, a Delta Dagger http://www.ellsworth.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-070130-141.pdf

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Memento1979 posted:

Mostly because early missiles had very bad guidance systems and planes are tough to hit. If your missile isn't accurate enough to actually hit the target, just make the kill radius bigger. Once guidance systems got good enough to consistently get hits, they stopped using air-to-air nukes.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

gohuskies posted:

Mostly because early missiles had very bad guidance systems and planes are tough to hit. If your missile isn't accurate enough to actually hit the target, just make the kill radius bigger. Once guidance systems got good enough to consistently get hits, they stopped using air-to-air nukes.

The targeting and guidance system for the AIR-2 was actually the A-4. They made the aircraft as cheap as possible and still big enough to carry the Genie. Nice to note that the early-60s mindset that developing a new manned fighter would be cheaper than developing a guidance system on a nuclear weapon capable of hitting a bomber formation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Only useful for bombers information, but the sheer size of the warhead (relative to air-to-air conventional rockets, missiles or cannon) provided lots of advantages for hitting bombers in formation - you either scatter the formation very badly, or take out multiple attackers with one shot, or both!

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
The Genie had a 1.5kt warhead and a range of just 6 miles. Wiki has a :gonk: story of its safety being "proven" in the one and only test by air force officers standing hatless directly under the blast..

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.
Apparently it was also useful in exercises for making F-16 pilots say "I was killed by a what?"

http://www.f-106deltadart.com/thereiwas/DARTS%20vs%20VIPERS-Townsend.pdf

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010
Most people don't realize the Genie wasn't a missile. It was an unguided rocket.

quote:

Targeting, arming, and firing of the weapon were coordinated by the launch aircraft's fire-control system. Detonation was by time-delay fuze, although the fuzing mechanism would not arm the warhead until engine burn-out, to give the launch aircraft sufficient time to turn and escape. Lethal radius of the blast was estimated to be about 300 meters (1,000 ft).

Fly to radar intercept point, computer says YUP! This is the spot! and cuts it loose, and you buuuuug out.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Mr. Despair posted:

Now they just need to get a B-36 somehow. Here's something they are restoring though, a Delta Dagger http://www.ellsworth.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-070130-141.pdf

Every museum deserves a B-36. A friend on facebook recently posted that we has on a road trip to wyoming and was, at that moment, leaving Omaha en route to Lincoln. I made it my mission to convince him to check out the SAC museum. It really is the next best thing to USAF in Dayton.

Apparently I succeeded and he went today.

Also, apparently the windscreen of the Delta Dagger/Dart is a direct ancestor of the SR-71 windscreen. I don't know if it's true that they share parts or construction, but I've been unable to unsee it, and now I have to think "you have your mother's eyes" when looking at a Blackbird.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe
Oh look who's back.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

grover posted:

The Genie had a 1.5kt warhead and a range of just 6 miles. Wiki has a :gonk: story of its safety being "proven" in the one and only test by air force officers standing hatless directly under the blast..

They didn't look too upset about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovb7F_r0XHo&t=362s

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Grandpa, did I ever tell you you're about the dumbest motherfucker that I know?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
So how many of them got cancer?

That PDF of the F-106 driver calling a training kill on two F-16s with the Genie is friggin hilarious though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Probably old news but the F-22 is trying to kill its pilot again/still

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/07/hypoxia/

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

priznat posted:

Probably old news but the F-22 is trying to kill its pilot again/still

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/07/hypoxia/

Good lord, another one?

Edit: The random, uninformed speculation in the Wired comments is both hilarious and terrifying. :stare:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I think it's the software is becoming sentient and is offended by having a human sitting in its head.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Oxford Comma posted:

Good lord, another one?

wired posted:

This was the 23rd unexplained “hypoxic incident” since the Raptor was introduced in 2005.

"F-22 is the whole idea."

e:f;b

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

priznat posted:

I think it's the software is becoming sentient and is offended by having a human sitting in its head.

It's just pissed that it wasn't selected for the new Top Gun movie.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Psion posted:

So how many of them got cancer?

That PDF of the F-106 driver calling a training kill on two F-16s with the Genie is friggin hilarious though.
None of them; this test certified the weapon as safe for use over inhabited areas, and those officers were confident enough in the results to stand directly beneath it to prove it. It was small enough and they were far enough away that the initial radiation burst was not particularly dangerous, and air-burst nukes (especially small ones) have virtually no fallout, so impact at the ground is negligible. The highest radiation exposure during the test were an aircrew that flew an instrumented aircraft through the fireball immediately after detonation, and even they didn't receive much dosage.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Really not the cold war, but about 1/3 of the way through The Admirals which covers Halsey, Nimitz, King, and Leahy, the four Five Star/Fleet Admirals in WWII. It's as much a book about the rise of modern naval power and the transition from Battleship force projection to submarine and aircraft ruling the day as about the people and the war so far. Pretty enjoyable.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

grover posted:

an aircrew that flew an instrumented aircraft through the fireball immediately after detonation

The coolest pilots in history.

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Circumstances have gone beyond my control.
I was trawling Ebay for YF-23 kits, when I found this interesting piece of literature.

http://www.ebay.com.my/itm/YF-22-and-YF-23-Advanced-Tactical-Fighters-/160699564409?pt=Non_Fiction&hash=item256a70c179

Has anyone read this before? Although it looks dated it sounds interesting.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
This happened at the Londown airshow

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

mlmp08 posted:

This happened at the Londown airshow

Goddamn that Vulcan is so loving sexy.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Oxford Comma posted:

Goddamn that Vulcan is so loving sexy.

It sure is pretty for being a harbinger of doom and all.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I find all the V-bombers pretty cool and also scary looking:

Vickers Valiant:

Avro Vulcan:

Handley Page Victor:

(Teasin' Tina :haw:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xQiiTCrixk

priznat fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 13, 2012

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
That last one looks like a loving Ace Combat series boss. Goddamn.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Yeah the Victor is friggin nuts. I think it's my favorite of the V-bombers just because of how out of this world it looks.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

It's like the British were working on a completely different engineering book than the rest of the world at the time. Russia and the US had a lot of planes that pretty much the same rough shape with the fine details changed. A lot of the random Euro delta wings were of similar designs. Then Britain has all these funky rear end V bombers that look like nothing else in the air.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

British aircraft are usually my favourite looking planes, I cannot explain it.

English Electric Lightning (sponsored by Shell), my fav

Gloster Javelin, the plane with badonkadonk :butt:

dat azz

Blackburn Buccaneer, seen showing off its bomb bay (2000lb nuke goes here!) and split tail airbraking doodad

Bonus: this video is freakin' cool.

Hawker Siddeley Nimrod, a modified version of the de Havilland Comet.

Also I really like the look of the much-revilled Harrier, specifically the Hawker Siddeley GR.3 (with the funky nose)

It may be a dangerous piece of crap but it looks like some crazy space vulture.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Counterpoint - the Nimrod AEW3:

:lol:

All those other aircraft are pretty cool, though.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Looks like an airliner and a Space Shuttle fuel tank had a teleporter accident.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
I have to say the Vulcan is my favourite V-bomber, because goddamn, that howl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU1VSCph-G8

The Lightning is a really awesome plane, and doesn't get enough credit. Also, the twin-boom jets - the Vampire, Venom, and Sea Vixen - have always really appealed to me. Glad I got to see the former two flying as a kid.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Yeah, British Cold War era stuff is almost like a sci-fi version of what the US and USSR were doing. The inboard engines, strange wing styles....it looks off somehow but also looks totally right at the same time.

Were the bombers designed for nuclear weapons of British design, too? Or were they set up for American weapons. I know nowadays it's all pretty much American weapons, but what was the British nuclear program of the 50's and 60's like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

VikingSkull posted:

Yeah, British Cold War era stuff is almost like a sci-fi version of what the US and USSR were doing. The inboard engines, strange wing styles....it looks off somehow but also looks totally right at the same time.

Were the bombers designed for nuclear weapons of British design, too? Or were they set up for American weapons. I know nowadays it's all pretty much American weapons, but what was the British nuclear program of the 50's and 60's like?

Ernest Bevin posted:

"We've got to have this thing. I don't mind it for myself, but I don't want any other Foreign Secretary of this country to be talked at or to by the Secretary of State of the US as I have just been... We've got to have this thing over here, whatever it costs ... We've got to have the bloody Union Jack on top of it."

Immediately after WWII the co-operation between the US and UK over nuclear weapons fell apart (McMahon act pretty much cut out any co-operation) so the british government decided to ensure their own capacity. By the early 50's the british had developed enough to be producing their own fissile materials, and the US thawed a bit (the first soviet test helped) and started co-operating again- the british would supply scientists and fissile materials, and the US would supply nuclear devices. At this time, the UK was very concerned that the US would not risk her own cities in the event of a European only war, and not deploy nuclear weapons.

In 1952 the UK had it's first test, hurricane which was pretty much a direct copy of "fat man". This was then quickly adapted into a freefall bomb with a yield of around 15-20 kilotons, the "blue danube" which was ready to be carried by Valiant bombers by the end of 1953 (although around a hundred devices were made, apparently only around a dozen were ready for use at any one time due to excessive servicing requirements). By this time, thermonuclear devices were starting to be tested, and despite objections from parliament over the cost, a british fusion device was developed and culminated in the grapple tests (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Grapple) which initially were failures in terms of yield, but ended up working ok. While the problems were ironed out, a very large (400 Kt) fission only device, "green grass" was fielded but never tested (some versions used direct copies of US Mk-28 bombs). "Blue Danube" was shrunk into "Red Beard", which could be used with a much wider range of aircraft, including carrier based assets of the Royal Navy.

By the early 60's the UK was developing it's own MRBM system, "blue streak" as part of the space program, but political pressure (and rumoured bribes) led to the eventual cancellation of the UK's own space efforts (the only nation to develop a native and working satellite launch system then abandon it :smith: ) and it was announced that the UK would pursue the US's "Skybolt" system for use with british warheads, which in turn was cancelled due to poor test performance and the emergence of SLBMs, which led to the UK purchasing the Polaris system after quite major political arguments (the UK had intended to put almost all of the deterrent force on Skybolts and wanted to have the same deterrent as the US, some US politicians wanted to keep the knowledge US only).

It was around this time that soviet air defences were getting massively upgraded, and the predicted chances of V Bombers managing to penetrate and deploy nuclear weapons deep into Russia was slipping by the year, so the main strategic deterrent was switched over to Polaris (in service around 1968), with the RAF and Royal Navy keeping tactical weapons (air dropped bombs, torpedoes and depth charges based around the WE177 device), and the Army was equipped with US designed and owned nuclear artillery and rockets in Germany. The V bombers were largely retasked with targeting warsaw pact forces in the result of an invasion, with conventional and nuclear weapons. The TSR2 was developed, and then cancelled around this time, pretty much ending the RAF's strategic nuclear role.

I can strongly recommend "The Secret State" by Peter Hennessy for a look at the UK's preparations (or lack thereof) for nuclear war during the cold war, it's really quite chilling.

*edit*

realising that my pre-coffee brain forgot a few bits, will write some more later

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 13, 2012