Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

Little Blue Couch posted:

I never had serious problems with bugs, even early on. Every run is so disposable and quick that even picking up a gamebreaking item combo meant that I was out, I dunno, fifteen minutes? Maybe thirty? This is part of the reason why I don't get how some people are so loving worked up over having a run ruined because of like getting stuck behind a pit.

If it happens over and over again, obviously some people are going to start getting pissed off. It's not that unreasonable.

Hjalmar posted:

Except ??? is maybe the easiest character to beat the chest with, since the Polaroid shield goes up every time he takes a hit.

Fair enough, but it's definitely more of a pain to get to the chest with him than most other characters. I'm ok with never having to use him again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.
I'm not getting bitten by too many bugs since the 1.4 patch, there's probably some subtle ones in there but other than the telepills screwing things up and some weird hitbox glitches its fine for me. There are a lot more rooms where I can't avoid taking damage though, I don't envy anyone trying the no damage achievements now.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001
Just saw this on Ed's formspring. Maybe :nws: but definitely :nms:.

quote:

Don't know how else to show you this..but I had a Binding of Isaac Birthday party for my husband and this is what we came up with! I also decorated the whole house in mom panties and maxi pads! You like? http://imgur.com/a/qpvSG

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I really, really hate my inability to find any guppy related items. I got the tail on basement 1 this run and the paw in cellar 2. Then I only ran into XL dungeons with no visible secret rooms and no devil rooms. :negative: gently caress XL dungeons and this game. At least I died rich!

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Does anyone know if the patch fixed the Eve unlocking ???'s Soul/??? unlocking Eve's Bird Foot mixup?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Wow, I think I just got a new recolor of Gurdy. She was spawning four boils (in front and on the sides) and more flies than I've ever seen her do before.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Little Blue Couch posted:

I never had serious problems with bugs, even early on. Every run is so disposable and quick that even picking up a gamebreaking item combo meant that I was out, I dunno, fifteen minutes? Maybe thirty? This is part of the reason why I don't get how some people are so loving worked up over having a run ruined because of like getting stuck behind a pit.

I had the Cathedral cleared with everyone within a week or so of the expansion's release and the only totally game breaking thing I encountered was a couple of Depths XL runs. I'd say that either some people are just very unlucky or they just can't handle a hiccup every now and then.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Ghost Head posted:

I'm ok with never having to use him again.

You still need to do it with ??? to unlock one of the other character's trinkets.

aridge02
Nov 4, 2011
So uh, I had to reinstall windows. Lost the entire save. Right now Ive Beaten it lives with only 9 deaths to my name. Gonna work on blue baby and unlocking samson when I get the chance.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Okay, really dumb question, but how do you get the new patch? 1.33 updated automatically and I assumed 1.4 would too, but it didn't.

E: Oh cool, it didn't come out for Mac users. Super awesome.

Power of Pecota fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 9, 2012

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
I wasted 2 hours last night with a Sampson run because I thought I hadn't cleared the chest with him yet. I don't know who my last 2 characters to clear the chest are, but going by the achievements they SHOULD be Sampson and ???.

Does that mean it's Eve and... bugger if I know?

I've seen Issac's head, ???'s soul, maggy's faith, judas' tounge and I think that's about it for the endgame trinkets.

Fix the goddamn achievements already. Secret list isn't any help either.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Holy loving poo poo Ed, I just need to beat the game with Eve give me a loving break

edit:

:argh:

Dickweasel Alpha fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 10, 2012

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
Got fetus with Eve and defeated the chest.. and neither got an ingame popup nor an achievement. Oh god if I have to do this again..

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
I WIN ED

I WIN

I BEAT YOU

Holy poo poo that was the most satisfying conclusion to this game. Almost no health, literally one hit away from death, thankfully I picked up an eternal heart the room before the fight because after I was hit twice, Whore of Babylon turned on along with the Polaroid's shield, so I just wiped out as much as I could.

I still have one secret locked though? I have all the achievements besides Platinum God, and 96/97 secrets (and I got the usual missing Horseman one) so I'm guessing the secret I need in order to unlock Platinum God is...

...Platinum God.

ED!!! :argh:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

I WIN ED

I WIN

I BEAT YOU

Holy poo poo that was the most satisfying conclusion to this game. Almost no health, literally one hit away from death, thankfully I picked up an eternal heart the room before the fight because after I was hit twice, Whore of Babylon turned on along with the Polaroid's shield, so I just wiped out as much as I could.

I still have one secret locked though? I have all the achievements besides Platinum God, and 96/97 secrets (and I got the usual missing Horseman one) so I'm guessing the secret I need in order to unlock Platinum God is...

...Platinum God.

ED!!! :argh:

I have 98/97 secrets including Platinum God, so I think you're missing something. The horseman achievement was my last one. Ultra Pride, maybe?

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Nope, I've killed Ultra Pride and got The Left Hand already. I've also either gotten secrets notifications for all the unlockable trinkets, or physically seen them in my runs. I've collected all the items, beaten all the bosses... wait.

Do you have to beat Daddy Long Legs in the Depths for anything? Because I have never fought Daddy Long Legs besides just in the Chest or Cathedral

edit:... Eve's trinket isn't showing up in my secrets. But I already beat the game as ??? earlier today. What the gently caress?

Dickweasel Alpha fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 10, 2012

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I was seeing quite a few of the Chest trinkets before I unlocked them. And Samson unlocked Eve's trinket for me if I remember right.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

Nope, I've killed Ultra Pride and got The Left Hand already. I've also either gotten secrets notifications for all the unlockable trinkets, or physically seen them in my runs. I've collected all the items, beaten all the bosses... wait.

Do you have to beat Daddy Long Legs in the Depths for anything? Because I have never fought Daddy Long Legs besides just in the Chest or Cathedral

You shouldn't have to fight him. Beating the womb enough times unlocks Triachnid, but you don't have to beat him either. You can check here to see what you've got http://bindingofisaac.wikia.com/wiki/Secrets

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Yeah, double checking my secrets list it looks like I have to beat the chest again as ???. Oh well, that won't be nearly as frustrating as Eve. At least one or two damage-up items will give you blood tears instead of a 3/6 rating, plus apparently ??? gets better scaling for damage.

Just gotta pray for the nail or the Book of Revelations.

E: Wait... do you unlock Eve's Bird Foot by clearing it as Samson?

gently caress

Dickweasel Alpha fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 10, 2012

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
I have 98/97 secrets. :smug:

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

E: Wait... do you unlock Eve's Bird Foot by clearing it as Samson?

gently caress

I think Ed might have just broken the trinkets once more before this it was the ???'s and Eve's Trinkets that were mixed up, so that probably just means that now Samson's and Eve's trinkets got the old switcheroo

Edit: Also, I just lost all of my BoI data ( along with some other files) due to my OS corrupting, there was a power surge in the middle of it updating itself

NoodleBox fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jul 10, 2012

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
Going into the chest with the left hand. :smithicide:

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Christ, the patches are making this game a bit too hard. I started a Samson run (gently caress that dude). On the first two floors I got basically the best possible luck-- PhD followed by 3 health up pills, two regular health upgrades and the prayer card along with about 40 cents. No keys or bombs, but whatever-- I can't possibly lose now, right?

First room in the Catacombs is Ultra Pride. gently caress that, but I still have 3 hearts. The boss of the level is the version of The Husk that only spawns Bomb Flies, which I can tell you sucks pretty drat badly when you're Samson because by the time you have enough damage to kill bomb flies there are about 15 of them. Alright, they're dead and we're at 1 life. No keys or bombs on the entire floor, but whatever. Should still be fine.

Catacombs two: Oh gently caress I cleared the whole level and I have 90 cents but still haven't found bombs or keys and I have 3 hearts. Two rooms left before the boss. First room is 4 Avarice heads in a small room? Oh whoops I stood on one of them, and also they take something like 30 hits to kill. I'm at something like 45 coins now and 1 heart. Last room? Eight hopping spiders, 2 of them champions, on a narrow catwalk.

I don't like this at all :(

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Health Upgrades aren't instant wins. They have never been a good alternative to offensive upgrades.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Met posted:

Health Upgrades aren't instant wins. They have never been a good alternative to offensive upgrades.

Agreed. IMO Damage > Health = Fire Rate > Speed > Range is the priority list.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Kuros posted:

Agreed. IMO Damage > Health = Fire Rate > Speed > Range is the priority list.

Eh, I'd say...

Fire Rate > Health

I will gladly sacrifice a heart or two to the devil to up my rate of fire.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Well yeah, but having 8 heart containers and several other good items going into the 3rd floor is usually a pretty excellent omen. At that point I'd expect to normally have a cube of meat and maybe a range upgrade or something. Believe me, I'd rather have a Brimstone and a few allstats upgrades, but saying that damage>health doesn't really invalidate the idea that having that much health as Samson by that point is pretty easily an outlier power-wise. I was just pretty surprised at fighting stuff that would be expected in the Womb or Cathedral a whole 4-6 stages early.

My point was that there are too many incredibly difficult rarespawns on the Catacombs. Most of the time it's fine, but occasionally you'll fight a completely unreasonable Ultra Pride. Pre-WOTL I think the only opponent that would be a pretty tough call would be the Fallen on Basement 1. Facing 4 Avarice heads and 10-minute bossfights on the 3rd floor is a pretty big step up from that.

TheGame fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 11, 2012

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Rocketlex posted:

Eh, I'd say...

Fire Rate > Health

I will gladly sacrifice a heart or two to the devil to up my rate of fire.

Yeah it sort of depends on who you have. Being really slow, or having a pitiful range really hurts your chances of survival, so in those cases I would say those items are more important than health. Power is always good though, you honestly cannot have too much of it, and fire rate is up there too.

TheGame posted:

Well yeah, but having 8 heart containers and several other good items going into the 3rd floor is usually a pretty excellent omen.

I have found that my greatest predictor of victory for a given run, is having a shitload of keys, bombs and some cash; at least two, or one really strong power upgrade, and a good space item. I've left the second floor with 7 hearts and as many silver hearts and still gotten killed a floor or two later.

Underwhelmed fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 11, 2012

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Underwhelmed posted:

and fire rate is up there too.

I haven't seen Cancer in SO long. Always love getting it after maxing out fire rate.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Heart containers are actually poo poo now. Soul Hearts are the best health now, thanks to Guppy's Paw. Always always always trade all your hearts away from 3 soul hearts apiece, because from the Depths onwards you get free invincibility after every hit and if you have the Virus (which is fairly common) you just demolish everything. One heart = a dead room. 3 hearts will kill Isaac and ???.

Oh, and Samson didn't unlock Eve's trinkets. Looks like this 1.4 patch means I'm playing through as Cain, Judas, Maggy, and Isaac until the foot unlocks again :shepicide:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Is it just me or are generic secret rooms harder to find now?

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Mordiceius posted:

Is it just me or are generic secret rooms harder to find now?

No, it's happening to everyone. The last update screwed up where the regular secret rooms can spawn. So unless you luck into it, get an item that shows where they are, or have a poo poo load of bombs, you're not going to see secret rooms.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
E: ^^^ The secret to finding the hidden rooms is simple. Normal ones are just spawning where the secondary one can spawn most of the time. Occasionally it'll be against 2 rooms, but most of the time, if you just look at rooms that don't have anything else against them, it isn't too difficult. Obviously, it's easier on the earlier and non-XL stages, but...

TheGame posted:

Christ, the patches are making this game a bit too hard. I started a Samson run (gently caress that dude). On the first two floors I got basically the best possible luck-- PhD followed by 3 health up pills, two regular health upgrades and the prayer card along with about 40 cents. No keys or bombs, but whatever-- I can't possibly lose now, right?

First room in the Catacombs is Ultra Pride. gently caress that, but I still have 3 hearts. The boss of the level is the version of The Husk that only spawns Bomb Flies, which I can tell you sucks pretty drat badly when you're Samson because by the time you have enough damage to kill bomb flies there are about 15 of them. Alright, they're dead and we're at 1 life. No keys or bombs on the entire floor, but whatever. Should still be fine.

Catacombs two: Oh gently caress I cleared the whole level and I have 90 cents but still haven't found bombs or keys and I have 3 hearts. Two rooms left before the boss. First room is 4 Avarice heads in a small room? Oh whoops I stood on one of them, and also they take something like 30 hits to kill. I'm at something like 45 coins now and 1 heart. Last room? Eight hopping spiders, 2 of them champions, on a narrow catwalk.

I don't like this at all :(

Obviously have no evidence to prove it, but I'm convinced Samson got a luck nerf when he got his fire rate upped to a reasonable rate. Most Samson runs end in tears due to sheer bad luck, and it happens with him a lot more often than other characters. Not finding keys/bombs, getting the bottom of the barrel item drops, not finding trinkets that could be useful, etc.

Keepers (Greed Heads) still have an absurd amount of health, sadly. Haven't done number crunching yet, but I'd imagine a room of those with Eve or Maggy when you haven't gotten any damage/fire rate ups and don't have a good spacebar item to help would either result in a 5 minute war or just getting destroyed because you can't dodge them well enough to stay alive.

Anyone seen an alt-mode B. Licker (the mini Larry Jr guys) yet? Also? That is the worst named enemy. Urg.

And Pestilence? Buddy? If you could stop 1) firing the instant the fight began, resulting in an almost unavoidable hit and 2) spitting five or six bombs in the span of about a second, that'd be swell.

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Going into the chest with the left hand. :smithicide:

Oh god, does that thing affect gold chests, too? I was under the impression it only switched grey ones out. :ohdear:

Then again, The Chest has been giving me the finger for starting room items of late, so maybe it'd be worth it. No I don't want the bloody Bean, god dammit, gimme something I can use!

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
If you have Technology and Polyphemus, don't pick up any items that alter your shots (mutant spider, wiggle worm, parasite, etc) except for Ouija Board, because for some reason they can lower your damage output and give you no added benefit.

Nearly died in the Cathedral after picking up Mutant Spider because "Eh, how could it hurt?" I went from one-shotting everything to barely scraping by. Isaac died when I had half of one heart left. Very white knuckle finish.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

Heart containers are actually poo poo now. Soul Hearts are the best health now, thanks to Guppy's Paw. Always always always trade all your hearts away from 3 soul hearts apiece, because from the Depths onwards you get free invincibility after every hit and if you have the Virus (which is fairly common) you just demolish everything. One heart = a dead room. 3 hearts will kill Isaac and ???.

Don't forget that using the Paw to get down to 1 heart or less is actually a brilliant idea if you want to get bonus boss-fight level items from the bloody-dagger arenas.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
Has anyone else here seen the alternate orange version of The Hollow? Dude is fantastic. He splits into smaller segments when you damage him (like a fistula) and each segment drops a coin when you kill it. I really like some of these alternates, but I've seen some pretty lazy ones, like the black Pin that just shoots some bullets when he sticks his head up.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TheGame posted:

My point was that there are too many incredibly difficult rarespawns on the Catacombs. Most of the time it's fine, but occasionally you'll fight a completely unreasonable Ultra Pride.

This is weird. I got my first Ultra Pride yesterday and beat it without effort - I think I took maybe one heart of damage. I've had Krampus two or three times and again, he's not a major problem despite his dickishly high health. But I cannot beat the game and rarely even reach Mom, no matter what items I get. What am I doing wrong that you guys can romp through the game unless a bad spawn blocks you, but I can beat the bad spawns and fail?

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Ghost Head posted:

Has anyone else here seen the alternate orange version of The Hollow? Dude is fantastic. He splits into smaller segments when you damage him (like a fistula) and each segment drops a coin when you kill it. I really like some of these alternates, but I've seen some pretty lazy ones, like the black Pin that just shoots some bullets when he sticks his head up.

Anything that results in more variety is okay by me. I haven't fought the alternate Moms yet but I've only played a couple of games since 1.4 came out. Guess that's my cue to sperg out on Isaac for a while tonight.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jedit posted:

This is weird. I got my first Ultra Pride yesterday and beat it without effort - I think I took maybe one heart of damage. I've had Krampus two or three times and again, he's not a major problem despite his dickishly high health. But I cannot beat the game and rarely even reach Mom, no matter what items I get. What am I doing wrong that you guys can romp through the game unless a bad spawn blocks you, but I can beat the bad spawns and fail?

I'm not sure about this, but you may be losing to attrition. Taking barely any damage from things like those two is great, but if you also take a little damage in regular rooms repeatedly, well, it adds up over time. You have to get good at not taking much damage in general, in addition to not taking much from the big things.

This is only my theory, mind you. I'm just guessing based on my limited knowledge of the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Yeah, the most important thing is to be consistently good in normal rooms. If you fail there you need to spend money on hearts, won't get devil rooms, no hearts for donation, etc etc. The worse you do, the harder the game becomes.

Also, do the doctor's challenge, it's easy and unlocks one of the most powerful items in this game.

• Locked thread