Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roymega
Oct 10, 2004

-crickets-

Cool Buff Man posted:

Yeah definitely let's speculate about which rap boys like to get naked with other boys and kiss them too

This..

TenaciousTomato posted:

Lold IRL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWXcUfyN_yo

Frank ocean is gay.

Whoda thought.

and, this.

Made my summer. That is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Shite summer if that is all.

Malformed Dance Hut
Sep 7, 2010

ICA posted:

Shite summer if that is all.

Agreed. That is all.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica
I don't know if there's any funk volume fans on here but I saw Jarren Benton last night and he was killer. I wasn't sold on him when I heard he got signed but the dude has some serious talent.

After the show, not a single person left for at least an hour, I've never seen anything like that. I really love those small underground shows where everyone is really into the music.

Drunken Lullabies fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 9, 2012

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well Frank Ocean's Channel Orange is up on iTunes, and it's all over the drat place. I hope that isn't too much. Hes definitely one of the more weirder artists out there. My friend has been comparing him to Kanye West, not sure if that's accurate yet.

Confounding Factor fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jul 10, 2012

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Confounding Factor posted:

Well Frank Ocean's Channel Orange is up on iTunes, and it's all over the drat place. I hope that isn't too much. Hes definitely one of the more weirder artists out there. My friend has been comparing him to Kanye West, not sure if that's accurate yet.

I know what you mean, if you ignore that frank ocean isn't a rapper or a producer you can see they are both black.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
Kanye is the Tiger Woods of rap music.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I don't listen to Frank. But Kanye and him both have a materialistic yet trying to be deep vibe going on. Emotional. But I can't say about Frank for sure.

dieFALKENATOR
Dec 24, 2011

Well Frank Ocean's Channel Orange is up on iTunes, and it's all over the drat place. I hope that isn't too much. Hes definitely one of the more weirder artists out there.

I just listened to it, was really hype for - I loved "nostalgia, ULTRA", and 'Pyramids' was this amazing prog-hip-hop joint... it's really, really tepid, aside from the middle third around 'Pyramids', the rest sounds like what I imagine a whole album of John Legend must do. Very disappointed, I wanted it to be good so much, but nah.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

That's how I felt about it; a lot of the production was pretty week. The Earl and Andre3k verses were alright (and probably half the reason I listened to it), but it feels like Frank could make an awesome album if it was all as heavy as pyramids and Novocain.

The Aesop album is really good and pretty unique from all his other ones. I really like the near lack of features on it, makes it feel like a whole project a lot more than None Shall Pass and Bazooka Tooth.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica

Svartvit posted:

Kanye is the Tiger Woods of rap music.

I'm not trying to genre-sperg but I don't really think Kanye makes rap music dude.

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

Drunken Lullabies posted:

I'm not trying to genre-sperg but I don't really think Kanye makes rap music dude.

if anything, id say hes hip-pop

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

808's is his only really non-rap album.
hip-pop makes me think of The Love Below, Cee Lo's solo stuff or Nicki Minaj's popper work (though some of those are just straight pop songs); you know stuff without any real rapping but rooted in hip-hop.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Harley C posted:

I know what you mean, if you ignore that frank ocean isn't a rapper or a producer you can see they are both black.

Well think of it this way, Ocean produced at least two of the tracks on Channel Orange--and has ghost written and produced tracks for pop stars for years. So, let's get this right here: both got their start behind the scenes, both emerged as #1 powerhouses basically on the strength of one single (Through The Wire and Novacane) and word of mouth. And crucially, yes, both are black men who captured the zeitgeist to impose their own sense of style onto white and black fans. Think Ye bar sunglasses, backpacks and Christian Doir shoes--then compare those to Ocean's tumblr, taste in vintage cars and r&b hipsterism. These guys are the same story, and both are kings.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Fuckin idiot

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

snyprmag posted:

808's is his only really non-rap album.
hip-pop makes me think of The Love Below, Cee Lo's solo stuff or Nicki Minaj's popper work (though some of those are just straight pop songs); you know stuff without any real rapping but rooted in hip-hop.

hip-pop is a dumb thing made up by people who think kanye etc are too mainstream for them to listen to i was just making fun of that dude :)

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

Well think of it this way, Ocean produced at least two of the tracks on Channel Orange--and has ghost written and produced tracks for pop stars for years. So, let's get this right here: both got their start behind the scenes, both emerged as #1 powerhouses basically on the strength of one single (Through The Wire and Novacane) and word of mouth. And crucially, yes, both are black men who captured the zeitgeist to impose their own sense of style onto white and black fans. Think Ye bar sunglasses, backpacks and Christian Doir shoes--then compare those to Ocean's tumblr, taste in vintage cars and r&b hipsterism. These guys are the same story, and both are kings.

Yes but this equation also works for Cam'ron and Gucci Mane so what's your point

Pinball Jizzard
Jun 23, 2010

Hip Gelatinous Cube posted:

Been bumping the new Aesop Rock album all day. Goddamn if it isn't the darkest thing I've ever heard from him. The album essentially ends on what sounds like a spoken word admission of guilt and failure with some minimalistic beats in the background. "I have been completely unable to maintain any semblance of relationship on any level." Jesus gently caress.

I've had my first listen through and although I see where you're coming from I found Cancer 4 Cure to be a whole lot more emotionally draining. Aesop's album is pretty strong though even with the lack of any Blockhead beats. I'll have to see if there's more standout tracks on second play. I definitely think the Killer Mike and El-P albums which I'm playing to saturation point at the moment flow better and have the differences between tracks to make them long term plays.

But hey, I don't think anyone expected another Labour Days at this point from Aesop. Let's just hope we get to hear the Two of Every Animal (Aesop and Cage) album this year as that could be interesting.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

What the gently caress? Kanye is like the definition of "rap music", except for maybe rick ross.

Do you mean "hip hop"?

animal drums
Jul 8, 2010
Rap Music - n. 1. The thing kanye west does 2. Rick Ross might have done it too

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

CrazyScot posted:

I've had my first listen through and although I see where you're coming from I found Cancer 4 Cure to be a whole lot more emotionally draining. Aesop's album is pretty strong though even with the lack of any Blockhead beats. I'll have to see if there's more standout tracks on second play. I definitely think the Killer Mike and El-P albums which I'm playing to saturation point at the moment flow better and have the differences between tracks to make them long term plays.

But hey, I don't think anyone expected another Labour Days at this point from Aesop. Let's just hope we get to hear the Two of Every Animal (Aesop and Cage) album this year as that could be interesting.

Man, to me C4C is waaaaay more fun than this. You can bump even el's paranoia stuff like Drones, and Tougher Colder Killer is an amazingly energetic track. Even the kinda iffy For My Upstairs Neighbor or Sign Here are still tracks with a kind of pulse to them that keeps moving with the album, but would be fine on their own. And R.A.P. Music is so damned full of tracks that oughtta be singles that I'd be eroding bare earth even starting to talk about how fun it is, even when it's serious.

Skelethon is loving depressing. It doesn't get better, it's just one continual drain. I can see why they released the tracks they did, the album is dark as gently caress and those are the only tracks on it with the kind of energy the releases you're talking about have. God drat. All three albums in this particular discussion are personal albums, but El-P and Killer Mike are clearly not in nearly as dark a place as Aes. Reminder this is the second album he's ended with a wracked, exhaustive explanation of how he sucks as a person and doesn't know why people would or should care. gently caress, man, ... A hug? A smoke? Anything I can getcha? Chin up, it's gotta get better from here, right?

It's still really, really good, though, I think... More coherent than Labor Days even, he's got his craft down, he's just got a lot of emptiness to share in a way that sounds like I'm listening to somebody's suicide note rapped, or something.

SHINEBLOCKA
Oct 17, 2009

I've got it in for your girlf

Mike Tysons CARFAX posted:

Anybody have any chopped and screwed albums they recommend? Other than DJ Screw?

Swishahouse Choppin em up Part 9 by Michael Watts

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
I know I'm turning into a weird lady that only wants to talk about D-Sisive (which isn't entirely true), but I'm really liking "Graceland" off his upcoming Asian Elvis mixtape (July 31!)

http://thedesolatecollective.bandcamp.com/track/graceland

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
Ayo channel orange and pluto leading far as the aoty for me so far. Cruel summer, dreams and nightmares, life is good, good kid in a maad city, based on a tru story, excuse my french and 3loko/"diplo album" better step the gently caress up

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Muck and Mire posted:

Yes but this equation also works for Cam'ron and Gucci Mane so what's your point
Cam'ron and Gucci Mane aren't talented. That's my point.

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

His haunts are not confined to the valley, but extend at times to the adjacent roads...

Yeah man.

animal drums
Jul 8, 2010

hahaha gently caress you, idiot.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I gotta say in this thread's long history of embarrassing posts, this is right up there. Frank Ocean isn't even in the same galaxy in terms of popularity as Kanye. Hell, Tyler's more popular by far than Frank Ocean and he's still steps below Kanye. And when Kanye was some super-tastemaker he'd already dropped two platinum albums. Like, this has to be a fake post, nobody can really think this way in the real world. Like, I can't even co-sign your gucci sucks post because you're so embarrassing.

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

u mad

e: BRRRRRRRRRr

e2: To the dude above, are you really excited for 2 Chainz debut album? Am I missing something about that dude because he's the least charismatic dude to hit the mainstream in a long time imo.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
You think 2 chainz lacks charisma? Well drat.

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

2chainz IS the go-to mixtape feature guy of the moment, but he isnt anywhere near as prolific or interesting as the ones that have come before him. he has some great songs but his ad libs are incredibly annoying and he uses the same flow way too much. i think these are pretty fair critisisms

and to the other guy seriously gently caress you those are the two most entertaining rappers ever to me

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Yeah honestly I haven't delved as deep into 2 Chainz/Tity Boi/PC as much as I should have so his ad libs don't bother me.

Also Gucci Mane is that dude so please just don't

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I will murder you IRL, idiot fucker

SHINEBLOCKA
Oct 17, 2009

I've got it in for your girlf
Can anybody tell me what song to listen to to understand why people like 2 chainz?

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

His haunts are not confined to the valley, but extend at times to the adjacent roads...

SHINEBLOCKA posted:

Can anybody tell me what song to listen to to understand why people like 2 chainz?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdIaMIyYFbc

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Number one stupid thing I encounter people thinking about rap is this. Nobody rips on ACDC for not being intelligent or talented because they weren't being emotionally "deep" or hyper literate.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

I hope you get loving murdered.

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

Prefuse posted:

I hope you get loving murdered.

Rude

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

lol why are you in this thread holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Capture the zeitgeist of the million punches i'm about to land on your solar plexus, nerd

• Locked thread