Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

ijustam posted:

Do FIV+ cats require anything special? I might consider adopting one or two.

On top of that, how hard is it to get a 5+ year old cat to use the Litter Robot? My previous cats (was only taking care of them temporarily) took to it immediately (one cat jumped in before I put litter in it). However I feel they were an exception to the rule.

I'm looking to adopt but I'd likely only adopt an in-need cat, such as an older or FIV+. Can two FIV+ cats live together?

No, they're no trouble, you can't even tell. The only possible trouble might be getting cat insurance and potentially later in life they might be more susceptible to illness.

Two FIV+ cats together is fine, I'm told.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Grrr. My cat Jackie has been finding new, obnoxious ways to get me up for no reason at all in the middle of the night. It used to be that she'd let me sleep and be polite, but now if there's the *tiniest* thing she thinks she might need, she walks onto my peacefully sleeping chest and awakens me in the first place - now this is totally normal and she's done it for the past year, no big deal, typically means she just wants to sleep on me and it would usually be followed by her headbutting my head, rubbing her nose/cheek against my face in that catlike manner, etc.

Now she's added something when she wants to REALLY get me up. She freaking *bites* me on the goddamn forehead when she rubs up against my head! Not hard or anything, it's not like she draws blood, but it's a definite BITE. And getting your face bitten in the middle of the night while in the deepest part of your sleep cycle is really, REALLY unpleasant. The first time she did it caused me to jump out of bed, flinging her comically onto the floor. Now I've just been having trouble sleeping ever since when she's on my lap, because some place in the back of my mind is constantly worried she'll do it again. Which she has on several occasions. And it sucks, because I can't sleep/cuddle with her in the same worry-free manner. Goddamn cats.

edit: Since I don't post enough pics of her, here's the Jackie-cat in question, being rudely awoken by *me* for a change. .

She's actually not *quite* as fat as she seems in this picture, believe it or not. Or maybe she is. Her weight's gone from 18 to 13.5-14 pounds since I got her, but we've had a hard time getting her down below that. Ideally she should get to 10-11 pounds, I think, but it's rough. At least she can lick her own butt now, that was a victory.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jul 9, 2012

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Edit: He's the orange one :3:

Reminds me of our boys!

Duckie
Sep 12, 2010

This is sewious!

kaworu posted:

Now she's added something when she wants to REALLY get me up. She freaking *bites* me on the goddamn forehead when she rubs up against my head! Not hard or anything, it's not like she draws blood, but it's a definite BITE. And getting your face bitten in the middle of the night while in the deepest part of your sleep cycle is really, REALLY unpleasant. The first time she did it caused me to jump out of bed, flinging her comically onto the floor. Now I've just been having trouble sleeping ever since when she's on my lap, because some place in the back of my mind is constantly worried she'll do it again. Which she has on several occasions. And it sucks, because I can't sleep/cuddle with her in the same worry-free manner. Goddamn cats.
One of our cats will paw at your face when he wants food in the middle of the night. Or he will bite you, but it's more like he's tasting you to see if you are edible? Haha. Our other cat is nice and lets us sleep, but the fatty always wants us up to feed him.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm doing a terrible job of teaching my kitten that my hands and feet aren't chew toys. I've been trying harder recently though. Whenever he starts to play too rough I say "no" firmly, pick him up and put him out of the room that I'm in for a few minutes with the door closed then let him back in. That seems to do the trick for a few hours but he'll start up again later... Will he learn better as he gets older?

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
Does anyone know how to get a cat to shut up?

My ~1 year old former stray has been getting better about biting and playing rough (strict use of the spray bottle + lots of yelping) but has a new fun habit!

Around 5 am, instead of trying to wake me up by biting my feet, he has started meowing. Crying, really. Crying loudly. At first I thought this was a reaction to being locked out of the bedroom (he gets locked out if he tries biting), but last night he was being good and just started hopping around the room making the most pitiful noises.

I kicked him out but the combination of happy prancing + sad cat cries is making me :psyduck:

I don't think he's trying to get fed, necessarily - I never feed him immediately after waking, it is always post morning routine, right before I leave the house - but that could be it. Alternatively, he is always excited to play first thing in the morning, so maybe he's just bored.

Any ideas?

thebrassthief
Mar 19, 2009

duckfarts posted:

Vet check sounds like the right thing to do. It's possible he's had a traumatic event recently maybe? Also, is he fixed?

Yes, he's fixed. As for traumatic events, no idea. It's not like he goes on crazy adventures or anything.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Our vet appointment is on Wednesday. Thanks for the assistance guys/gals!

Klungar posted:

Reminds me of our boys!

Your black cat looks like ours when he was a spry young lad, he has similar wide dinner plate eyes! We both have Halloween kitties! (orange and black).

thebrassthief
Mar 19, 2009

thebrassthief posted:

Yes, he's fixed. As for traumatic events, no idea. It's not like he goes on crazy adventures or anything.

Updating this. We got him back and there was nothing wrong with him. They poked and prodded him so he's pissed off about that right now but as far as hoping something was amiss so he would have an excuse for being pissed off...nothing. He's isolated right now with food and water and we're just kinda sitting on the matter because we don't know what to do right now.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
So I've got a kitten with feline leukemia, and I'm a little bit depressed and concerned.

My girlfriends roommate brought some stray kittens she found into her house(which already had three cats), and didn't bother taking them to the vet until a couple weeks later when she realized they had worms. I found a home for one of them, and took them to my house and kept it for a day until the people I adopted it to were ready for it.

As I'm driving it to it's new home, I've get a call from the roommate. She called the doctors office about the test results on the kittens, and the nurse didn't want to tell her the results and wanted the doctor to call, and finally she got it out of her that they had feline leukemia.

Now I've got a kitten with feline leukemia, and I'm not sure what to expect. I've been googling, and I imagine I'm going to get more information through the roommate, but I'd like whatever advice or information I can get here.

The kitten seems completely normal now(I've never owned a cat before). It's seemingly got a swollen lymph node, but otherwise is probably the most happy and agreeable animal I've ever seen, and I'm not really a cat person.Ideally I won't be keeping this cat, but if it comes down to going to a shelter and getting euthanized unnecessarily or early I'll make whatever concessions I can to keep it. Is there a chance this cat could live a reasonably fulfilling live and even still be adopted out to people with other, non-infected cats, or is it pretty much hosed? .

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Catfish Noodlin posted:

So I've got a kitten with feline leukemia, and I'm a little bit depressed and concerned.

My girlfriends roommate brought some stray kittens she found into her house(which already had three cats), and didn't bother taking them to the vet until a couple weeks later when she realized they had worms. I found a home for one of them, and took them to my house and kept it for a day until the people I adopted it to were ready for it.

As I'm driving it to it's new home, I've get a call from the roommate. She called the doctors office about the test results on the kittens, and the nurse didn't want to tell her the results and wanted the doctor to call, and finally she got it out of her that they had feline leukemia.

Now I've got a kitten with feline leukemia, and I'm not sure what to expect. I've been googling, and I imagine I'm going to get more information through the roommate, but I'd like whatever advice or information I can get here.

The kitten seems completely normal now(I've never owned a cat before). It's seemingly got a swollen lymph node, but otherwise is probably the most happy and agreeable animal I've ever seen, and I'm not really a cat person.Ideally I won't be keeping this cat, but if it comes down to going to a shelter and getting euthanized unnecessarily or early I'll make whatever concessions I can to keep it. Is there a chance this cat could live a reasonably fulfilling live and even still be adopted out to people with other, non-infected cats, or is it pretty much hosed? .
Unfortunately, it can't be adopted out to people with non-infected cats because the virus is passed in saliva so any resident cats would likely catch it. FeLV positive cats tend to have a greatly shortened life span. Here's an informational handout on the disease.

It is possible for a kitten to eliminate the disease, but that's pretty rare and would require quarantine and re-testing at a later date, with no guarantees. You should talk to your veterinarian about it.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

thebrassthief posted:

Updating this. We got him back and there was nothing wrong with him. They poked and prodded him so he's pissed off about that right now but as far as hoping something was amiss so he would have an excuse for being pissed off...nothing. He's isolated right now with food and water and we're just kinda sitting on the matter because we don't know what to do right now.
You try a Feliway diffuser?

thebrassthief
Mar 19, 2009

duckfarts posted:

You try a Feliway diffuser?

OOoh man...about that...

After we got the cat home and settled my mom pulled this stuff out, we spray some in his room and got a wall one in our main hallway. We go out for some dinner (I made that previous post just before we left), come home and she spends some time with the cat. Besides being a little agitated, he's really vocal and rubbing his face on everything in his room. Seems better than yesterday. I walk off and my mom spends about 45 min with him total. Out of the blue the cat totally loses his poo poo and bites the hell out of my moms hands and arms, draws blood and all. My mom tosses the cat back into his room as fast as possible and after doing some bandaging on her hands and arms, goes to the hospital.

I think we're over this cat now. This is kinda crazy. All of this insanity with this cat has happened over five days. Before this he was a little anti-social around people not in the family but never downright hostile or violent like this. As far as we know, the cats just snapped. This is after almost three years. I don't know when we're taking him out of the house (where to, I have no idea) but we're definitely doing it soon.

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007
I typed out a long post, but something ate it, so this is a bit shorter.

My coworker found an abadoned stray kitten out in the rain, and took it in her house to temporarily care for it. I adopted it from her (I have a 4 year old cat at home) to take care of him. He was in pretty bad shape, so we first took him to the vet to take care of a upper respiratory problem and some fleas. He will also need his vaccinations.

As he is getting over his respiratory problem, he is gaining more and more energy, and is pretty much bouncing off the walls whenever the wife and I are home. This is fine normally, but it does make sleeping difficult. The biggest problem is since he isn't old enough to really control his claws, he has a tendency to jump on us while sleeping with claws out, and will scratch us up pretty good.

Taking some advice from this thread, I was thinking about doing two things.

1. Getting soft paws for his claws to prevent him from scratching us up.
2. Train him to learn that night time to sleepy time, not play time. To do this, I have been playing with him throughout the day after I get home from work (~4pm) to wear him down a bit. When it is time for bed (10pm), I have been isolating him in our room from anything he would really play with (toys, people, etc).

My biggest worry is that if I were to isolate him during the night while me and the wife are sleeping, could this have any long term repercussions? Will this make him "attention-deprived", so to speak?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

We recently adopted a kitten, and he's so far:

-Pissed/poo poo in his litterbox without fail
-Taken ~48 hours to get socialized with the other cats to the point where they're chilling together and getting their grooming on
-Thought bedtime was playtime for all of 15 minutes and then went elsewhere

Looks like this:

Do I have a mutant? Is it the food? (We feed our cats raw food and have been weaning this little guy onto the raw diet with a mix of Before Grain dry food and the raw) Is it the other cats? They're all a few years old while this little guy is ~12 weeks.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
^^^^ you got lucky, partly. Also having well-behaved cats to start with helps out a lot.

skystream92 posted:

I typed out a long post, but something ate it, so this is a bit shorter.

My coworker found an abadoned stray kitten out in the rain, and took it in her house to temporarily care for it. I adopted it from her (I have a 4 year old cat at home) to take care of him. He was in pretty bad shape, so we first took him to the vet to take care of a upper respiratory problem and some fleas. He will also need his vaccinations.

As he is getting over his respiratory problem, he is gaining more and more energy, and is pretty much bouncing off the walls whenever the wife and I are home. This is fine normally, but it does make sleeping difficult. The biggest problem is since he isn't old enough to really control his claws, he has a tendency to jump on us while sleeping with claws out, and will scratch us up pretty good.

Taking some advice from this thread, I was thinking about doing two things.

1. Getting soft paws for his claws to prevent him from scratching us up.
2. Train him to learn that night time to sleepy time, not play time. To do this, I have been playing with him throughout the day after I get home from work (~4pm) to wear him down a bit. When it is time for bed (10pm), I have been isolating him in our room from anything he would really play with (toys, people, etc).

My biggest worry is that if I were to isolate him during the night while me and the wife are sleeping, could this have any long term repercussions? Will this make him "attention-deprived", so to speak?

He will be a whiny dick when you start out doing it, but he'll get over it eventually. Worst case scenario he'll scratch up your carpet under the door, if you have it.

Besides soft paws you can try clipping his nails, it really helps out with our babby cat who is unable to control her claws (as opposed to our dapper older chap who is packing knife blades because he has crazy claw control and hates having them clipped)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

The Entire Universe posted:

We recently adopted a kitten, and he's so far:

-Pissed/poo poo in his litterbox without fail
-Taken ~48 hours to get socialized with the other cats to the point where they're chilling together and getting their grooming on
-Thought bedtime was playtime for all of 15 minutes and then went elsewhere

Looks like this:

Do I have a mutant? Is it the food? (We feed our cats raw food and have been weaning this little guy onto the raw diet with a mix of Before Grain dry food and the raw) Is it the other cats? They're all a few years old while this little guy is ~12 weeks.

This little dude looks just like my Kitten, Motor and he's a well behaved little guy too. Orange cats rule apparently.

EDIT so the pic works.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 10, 2012

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mcmagic posted:

This little dude looks just like my Kitten, Motor and he's a well behaved little guy too. Orange cats rule apparently.

Apparently?

care to rephrase that sir

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

I already have two cute kittens, but reading this thread almost everyday makes me secretly wish inside that I'll come across a stray. I just want to take some strays, take care of them, and have more cats/pets despite the apartment pet limit and my girlfriend(who got me into owning pets for the first time in my life) who doesn't want more.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I just realized that they both have that M marking over their eyes. haha.

Duckie
Sep 12, 2010

This is sewious!
Orange kitties are the best! Mine was a terror at night when we slept. He constantly jumped at our faces and wanted to play. We ended up keeping him in our bathroom after about 3 nights of terrible sleep until he got big enough to be out with our other large cat. He would cry a little bit, but he always settled down. He forgot all of the terribleness when I would feed him in the morning. :3:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Agreed:
That's our new kitten: Indy (We got him on July 4th).

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?

sharkytm posted:

Agreed:
That's our new kitten: Indy (We got him on July 4th).

But we named the dog Indiana.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mcmagic posted:

I just realized that they both have that M marking over their eyes. haha.

Yep, a lot of tabby patterns have that. It isn't rare or anything even close, but it sure looks cool if you name your cat an M name. :3:

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Awww so many pretty orange tabby kittens! :3: I think one of my favorite things about orange kitties is how they have these lovely matching orange/golden eyes. It really makes them look distinctive. I mean, not all have them, some probably have green eyes, right? But I feel like you only see golden eyes on orange cats, and it's very pretty.

Also I'm pretty sure ALL tabby cats have that M pattern on their forehead, even partial tabbies. It's like *the* distinguishing tabby trait, isn't it? I mean, I've seen seal point tabbies who have almost no distinct markings and are just varying degrees of solid color all over their bodies and legs, but for the M pattern on their forehead, and maybe the other tabby facial patterns like black lines coming from the eyes.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
One of the legends as to why a Tabby has an 'M' on the forehead is this:

A legend from the Islamic world recounts that Mohammed had a tabby called Muezza who once saved his masters life by slaying a snake that had crawled up Mohammed's sleeve.

Later, when it was time to attend prayers the cat had fallen asleep upon the sleeve, so to avoid disturbing Muezza, Mohammed cut the sleeve from his garment.

From that day on all tabbies were born with the 'M' marking on their forehead to remind all that see them that Mohammed loved cats, and that cats should always be respected.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kidney Stone posted:

A legend from the Islamic world recounts that Mohammed had a tabby called Muezza who once saved his masters life by slaying a snake that had crawled up Mohammed's sleeve.

Later, when it was time to attend prayers the cat had fallen asleep upon the sleeve, so to avoid disturbing Muezza, Mohammed cut the sleeve from his garment.

From that day on all tabbies were born with the 'M' marking on their forehead to remind all that see them that Mohammed loved cats, and that cats should always be respected.

Sharia law!!!!!!!

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Kidney Stone posted:

Oh, I thought it had something to do with Midus and his golden touch or some crap like that. Maybe there are several stories about the M on Tabby cats! Great info!

I have to start getting ready for vet visit today. I will inform about my cat's butt condition when I get back.

Edit:

mcmagic posted:

Orange cats rule apparently.

From my experiences Orange cats are the most lovey, chill, laid back cats and they tend to be a little bit off in the head. Whenever mine wants pets he extends his paw to ask for them (he also does it to me when giving wet food--he also does it to the wall for protection from the other cat once in a while (or for pets?). :iiam: . He also loves to extend his paw and touch our faces while we sleep to wake us up.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 11, 2012

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Edit:

From my experiences Orange cats are the most lovey, chill, laid back cats and they tend to be a little bit off in the head. Whenever mine wants pets he extends his paw to ask for them (he also does it to me when giving wet food--he also does it to the wall for protection from the other cat once in a while (or for pets?). :iiam: . He also loves to extend his paw and touch our faces while we sleep to wake us up.
Was he chill and laid back as a kitten too? My kitten is really affectionate and awesome when he's calm but he has a lot of that kitten energy too. He loves to sit on my shoulder and watch me use the computer.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Was he chill and laid back as a kitten too? My kitten is really affectionate and awesome when he's calm but he has a lot of that kitten energy too. He loves to sit on my shoulder and watch me use the computer.

I'm not sure he was an adopted no one wanted him cat. He has weird eyes, he only has half eyelids and had surgery for them but they are still a little screwy. He loves to paw at my face as I type.

He does have a decent amount of energy and likes to play once in a while but it's mostly him sitting on my lap, pawing at my face as I type or just laying in a box 90% of the day. He won't use anything we buy for him to sleep so I usually just throw a towel in a cardboard box that he likes.

He does really love wicker baskets with a towel in them but we can't have them anymore, our black cat loves to pee in them.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 11, 2012

Downhome
Jul 5, 2012

Duckie posted:

Orange kitties are the best!

Agreed! Here is our Clancy if you haven't seen our thread...

He was a nightmare at night for the first few nights, but he got over it.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
I tried to get a good picture of Charlie, but all his orange is on his back and sides but he refused to cooperate.

This is a little bit of a better picture of him from a while ago, firmly attached to my girlfriends lap.

Oh, and these are the 2 feral kittens I trapped back in the winter with the helpful advice of some posters itt.

Luna is the calico and Edison is the grey tabby. I am a really bad photographer.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
BAD NEWS :(

The vet checked everything and his butt seems to be fine, she just gave preventative medicine and keep an eye on his weight.

BUT BAD PART! :(
He's going to need another VERY (in the thousands) expensive eye surgery. Our last vet thought they were odd but fine. I need to get a second opinion from another vet to make sure.

If it needs to be done, we'll do it but :bang:

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 11, 2012

Bogwoppit
Feb 9, 2012

"Dirty little bin-goblin."
New kitten, very nervous, won't eat the solids I offer (stinky tuna or biscuits). Not sure she was 100% weaned, but badly needed a home.

What type of baby food should I get her as a backup? Have plenty feeding syringes.

Edit: I don't mean for force-feeding. I would just pump a little out at a time. I've used spoons before but gently caress that mess today.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Bogwoppit posted:

New kitten, very nervous, won't eat the solids I offer (stinky tuna or biscuits). Not sure she was 100% weaned, but badly needed a home.

What type of baby food should I get her as a backup? Have plenty feeding syringes.

Edit: I don't mean for force-feeding. I would just pump a little out at a time. I've used spoons before but gently caress that mess today.

My little picky bastard really likes the Welness Canned food and Royal Canin Babycat dry.

Bogwoppit
Feb 9, 2012

"Dirty little bin-goblin."

mcmagic posted:

My little picky bastard really likes the Welness Canned food and Royal Canin Babycat dry.

I don't live near Fancy McCatsy's eatery unfortunately. ;) Just a normal grocery store until the weekend.

And oh God FLEAS EVERYWHERE. :gonk: I used Frontline (I don't know the age of the kittens), and flea-sprayed the bedding they use. Now there are dying fleas leaping all over the bathroom.

Bluh bluh bluh. Now I have to flea-spray the house.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Bogwoppit posted:

I don't live near Fancy McCatsy's eatery unfortunately. ;) Just a normal grocery store until the weekend.

And oh God FLEAS EVERYWHERE. :gonk: I used Frontline (I don't know the age of the kittens), and flea-sprayed the bedding they use. Now there are dying fleas leaping all over the bathroom.

I bet you live near amazon.com.

Duckie
Sep 12, 2010

This is sewious!
Royal Canin is sold at our Petsmart as well. They also have a lot of high calorie foods and pastes and stuff.

If you are going to feed him something from a grocery store, at least get wet. All those brands are complete crap, a wet formula will be better than dry.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Bogwoppit posted:

Wash and dry any and every possible fabric thing that they've been in contact with. Put the stuff in a plastic bag before taking to the washer. This is to kill any eggs and adults that happen to be there, and prevent them from dropping off somewhere.

Pick up some indoor Diatomaceous Earth (I believe this works better than most products out there, is cheap, and very pet safe), sprinkle down around a decent amount outside the door and vacuum thoroughly. Empty the vacuum and throw contents out immediately after. Then resprinkle DE, leave it, and vacuum again tomorrow.

That should be enough to keep a cap on the fleas and prevent them from spreading from the bathroom. Hopefully most will die from the flea treatment.

The bathroom just do a super through cleaning with a water and bleach mixture once you're able to relocate the kittens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Oh hey, this is Odin.

Today I came home and caught him peeing right outside his litterbox. This has happened before (though it's been over 1.5 years since he did that). I figured his litterbox was dirty (my flatmate and I have been rarely home in the past two weeks). As I started cleaning it, he followed me to the kitchen and tried to pee on a plastic bag that was full of scooped-out litter that had been cleaned out only two days back but hadn't been put away with the trash yet.

I've now fully cleaned and washed his litterbox, refilled it and thoroughly cleaned the area around the box. The reason I'm somewhat apprehensive is because it's just small puddles of piss he's leaving.

About a year ago he had to stay at the vet for three days for a kidney problem that is fairly typical of big male cats (he's neutered), and he's been getting proper food for cats with that condition since. Could it have resurfaced, even with the right food, or am I just freaking out over what might be an attention deficit / temporary cleanliness problem?

I can't take him to the vet straightaway because my flatmate has the car and won't be back until 5am from work.

For the record, Odin is 5 years old and came from a half-feral litter. He's been my cat since he was about two weeks old, and very attached to humans in general, to the point that he will sometimes try to groom me or push his entire head against my chest or arm.