Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
I'm looking for something along the lines of Dwarf Fortress or Gnomoria. Sandboxy village builder with lots of free choice in how to do it. Not large enough scale that your villagers are just numbers in a list but large enough that you're building entire villages and altering your environment and such. I've been looking at Settlers but i thought i'd ask here too.

Killstick fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Noni posted:

Skyrim is only a timesink if you want it to be. You can do all the main stuff in just a few days. It's also hundreds of years after the previous game. You don't need to understand any of the history whatsoever. Let's put it this way: You should worry about the Skyrim backstory as much as you would worry about reading The Hobbit and Tolkien's many appendices before allowing yourself to watch the LOTR trilogy.

I do think it's a bit silly to stay away from good games that you want to play just because you're afraid you won't be able to have self control and manage your time.

It's not that I'm afraid that I don't have self control. I just have limited time. At the moment, I hop on my PS3, play some games and then turn it off. It's been ages since I've played for more than 1 hour at a time. So I don't know, I'm just afraid that I'll only scratch the surface of Skyrim, and stay a level 4 character or w/e for ages just because I can't/won't play for days at a time.

But I'll probably pick it up, because gently caress it, why not try it?

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

beedeebee posted:

It's not that I'm afraid that I don't have self control. I just have limited time. At the moment, I hop on my PS3, play some games and then turn it off. It's been ages since I've played for more than 1 hour at a time. So I don't know, I'm just afraid that I'll only scratch the surface of Skyrim, and stay a level 4 character or w/e for ages just because I can't/won't play for days at a time.

But I'll probably pick it up, because gently caress it, why not try it?

Your mileage may of course vary but Skyrim for me has been a perfect kind of pick up and play for brief sessions game, because the way the game is structured, every dungeon has its own little story associated with it. It's basically a huge world populated with many, many tiny vignettes. I would just start the game, check my quest log or wander into the wilderness, do maybe one or two dungeons and be done again for the day.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

beedeebee posted:

I'm on the fence about picking up Skyrim. I never played any of the previous games, and I don't know the story at all. But it looks so pretty, and it'd be something different from the games I usually play (Fifa, Dirt, MW3 etc). However, I just moved in with my girlfriend, and Skyrim seems like a pretty big timesink. So yeah, should I do it?
Semi related, I read a bunch of awesome things about MGS in the 'PYF Little things in games'-thread. This is another series of games I never played before. So maybe I should buy that? But I'm a bit scared that the graphics will put me off. Even in the HD collection, I'm sure it won't look as amazing as a modern game, right?

Skyrim is a good game, and you really don't have to know the previous stories for the previous games to enjoy it. And it's only a timesink if you want it to be. What I like about it is that you don't really have to do anything quest based if you don't want to. I personally get bored and dick around in the wilds, shooting bears in the rear end for a while.

MGS is an amazing series that you should at least try. As for graphics, are they really so important that it'd put you off an otherwise really amazing game?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
MGS3, the best MGS game, has totally acceptable graphics. It doesn't look as good as modern games but it holds up totally fine. The other games are still good too, though 1 and 2 don't look quite as sharp as MGS3.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Looking for a rpg to play with my gf on xbox live. Torchligt II would he perfect but it isnt out yet. I want something simple, mostly just looking for casual "click monster, get loot" type stuff to play while we chat.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another
I'm looking for a short novella style game for the PS3 or alternatively PC (although my graphics card prevents me from running something like Dear Esther), one that can be completed in three hours maximum. A tightly crafted story that can be completed in a single sitting, unfortunately the only example I can think of is Journey.

UnquietDream fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 10, 2012

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Killstick posted:

I'm looking for something along the lines of Dwarf Fortress or Gnomoria. Sandboxy village builder with lots of free choice in how to do it. Not large enough scale that your villagers are just numbers in a list but large enough that you're building entire villages and altering your environment and such. I've been looking at Settlers but i thought i'd ask here too.

Settlers are good, but the older games of series like 2 and 3(there was a remake of 2 called 10th anniversary, if you want non-DOS version).
For similar more modern sandboxy builders try Tropico 4(or maybe 3), your island population is not likely to exceed 1000 people and you can poke each one of them and take a look what they're up to. You can also throw them in prison or have them shot since tropico comes in dictatorship flavor.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 10, 2012

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Pyromancer posted:

Settlers are good, but the older games of series like 2 and 3(there was a remake of 2 called 10th anniversary, if you want non-DOS version).
Seconding S2 Anniversary Edition forever.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Mokinokaro posted:

Zeboyd Games, particularly Cthulhu Saves the World and Penny Arcade: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness ep. 3 (you can safely ignore the older PA games and start with this one)

Breath of Death VII is pretty decent as well. They're all on Steam for 3-5$ each.

Getting these now! 3 bucks for the bundle of BoD and Cthulu? amazing.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Killstick posted:

I'm looking for something similar to this as well. What I would really like is a sandbox village builder that takes place on a procedurally generated map that is either infinite or close to as to make no difference. Does DF do that?

edit: Alternatively I would settle for a 4X game, space or otherwise, that had the same procedurally generated map, kind of like Star Ruler.

V for Vegas fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jul 11, 2012

Midrena
May 2, 2009

Pyromancer posted:

Pierzak posted:

Seconding S2 Anniversary Edition forever.

So I take it that you'd recommend the S2 anniversary edition over Settlers 7 for a newcomer to the series? I'm trying to figure out which I should get. (I've also been hankering for a "sandboxy village builder with lots of free choice in how to do it" like Killstick.)

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Midrena posted:

So I take it that you'd recommend the S2 anniversary edition over Settlers 7 for a newcomer to the series? I'm trying to figure out which I should get. (I've also been hankering for a "sandboxy village builder with lots of free choice in how to do it" like Killstick.)

Yes, definitely, if you can't find S2 10th anniversary grab Settlers 2 Gold from GOG.com for :10bux: or Tropico
Settlers 7 is not a bad game, it just isn't very sandboxy or relaxed building anymore, more like OHGOD ENEMY GOT THE OBJECTIVE, YOU'RE ABOUT TO LOSE! :supaburn:
Previous ones that are supposedly 5 and 6(even though they don't actually have number in name) are just mediocre and bland. They're diverting into generic RTS mechanics instead of classic Settlers approach, so it's not interesting as village builder at all.

Midrena
May 2, 2009

Pyromancer posted:

Settlers 7 is not a bad game, it just isn't very sandboxy or relaxed building anymore, more like OHGOD ENEMY GOT THE OBJECTIVE, YOU'RE ABOUT TO LOSE! :supaburn:

Thanks for the reply! S2 it definitely is then. Knowing that it's the more relaxed builder is the clincher for me. These days, I find myself gravitating more and more toward games that allow me to enjoy stuff without feeling too stressed or pressured ("holy poo poo ten thousand enemies spawned, aaaahh!").

I'll likely have to get the Gold version, as I can't seem to find the anniversary edition anywhere. As a digital download, I mean, since Amazon market merchants won't deliver the physical copy internationally and Ubisoft's own store link for S2 takes me to a 404 (bleh). Good thing the graphics are just as charming in that.

Midrena fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jul 11, 2012

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Midrena posted:

Yes, take 3 copies of an excellent oldschool game remake and give out to your friends.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Midrena posted:

Thanks for the reply! S2 it definitely is then. Knowing that it's the more relaxed builder is the clincher for me. These days, I find myself gravitating more and more toward games that allow me to enjoy stuff without feeling too stressed or pressured ("holy poo poo ten thousand enemies spawned, aaaahh!").

I'll likely have to get the Gold version, as I can't seem to find the anniversary edition anywhere. As a digital download, I mean, since Amazon market merchants won't deliver the physical copy internationally and Ubisoft's own store link for S2 takes me to a 404 (bleh). Good thing the graphics are just as charming in that.

I dunno how good it is, but there is an open source Settlers I and II remake called Widelands out there. Enjoy! Or don't.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Hi guys,

I recently got third degree burns on my left hand, pretty much putting me out of commission for any game that uses a WASD control scheme.

I don't game often, buts its the best way to pass time, so I've been playing facebook games and flash games for a bit, but they get repetitive and mind numbingly easy fast. Torchlight and Starcraft are playable because I don't necessarily NEED the shortcuts, just makes it a little harder with a handicap.

Are there any fun, quality games where I only need my mouse to play? I've been pondering it but all I can conclude are RTS games, anything made by blizzard, and roguelikes.

EDIT: Not to say I don't like roguelikes or RTSs, I wouldn't mind some diversity though.

a bone to pick fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jul 12, 2012

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Megadace posted:

Hi guys,

I recently got third degree burns on my left hand, pretty much putting me out of commission for any game that uses a WASD control scheme.

I don't game often, buts its the best way to pass time, so I've been playing facebook games and flash games for a bit, but they get repetitive and mind numbingly easy fast. Torchlight and Starcraft are playable because I don't necessarily NEED the shortcuts, just makes it a little harder with a handicap.

Are there any fun, quality games where I only need my mouse to play? I've been pondering it but all I can conclude are RTS games, anything made by blizzard, and roguelikes.

EDIT: Not to say I don't like roguelikes or RTSs, I wouldn't mind some diversity though.

Well, adventure games, for one. Maybe pick up the recently released Resonance or any of the other Wadjet Eye games.

Edit: Just remembered that Legend of Grimrock also has a mode specifically designed for mouse control. It's a great game, too.

I believe Aquaria can be played solely with a mouse as well.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jul 12, 2012

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Megadace posted:

Hi guys,

If you're looking for quality casual games to pass the time with, most of Popcap's games are mouse only. Plants vs. Zombies and Bejeweled 3 are two of my favorites, and neither uses the keyboard at all. Both have enough "meat" to keep you amused for quite a while.

Ashenai fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jul 12, 2012

i3lueHorneT
Jun 26, 2010
How about a browser based empire management game? Something medieval or feudal based, prefer to steer away from fantasy or magic setting (that is orcs, elves, wizards, dragons, etc.). I'm thinking of spreadsheets hidden behind beautifully done, colorful 2d art. Some form of battle system with a bit of tactics and animation it. Not sure what to compare it to as I haven't played one of these in the past but I know they are popular. Recommendations are appreciated.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Posted this in the PC gaming thread

I'm moving and I won't be able to take my rig with me. Leaving me with my old crappy laptop for gaming. Anyone have any recommendations for cheap action games that run on low end computers? I already have the old FPS like Half Life, Quake and the like.

I don't have the specs on me at the moment but I know it has a Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family graphics card :(

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Douche Bag posted:

Posted this in the PC gaming thread

I'm moving and I won't be able to take my rig with me. Leaving me with my old crappy laptop for gaming. Anyone have any recommendations for cheap action games that run on low end computers? I already have the old FPS like Half Life, Quake and the like.

I don't have the specs on me at the moment but I know it has a Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family graphics card :(

System Shock 2 is an FPS that should run on just about anything, and there was a portable version included in an 'oldies-but-goldies' game torrent that some goon made. I don't think it's :filez: or else the mods would have put the kibosh on it at the time.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Megadace posted:

Hi guys,

Looking through my steam backlog, there's quite a few games out there that can be played mouse only.

Since adventure games have already been mentioned, most of the Telltale games and Lucas Arts games can be played with just a mouse. Puzzle games like Spacechem or even Angry Birds can also be played with just a mouse.

Most 4x games like Civilization or Alpha Centauri work pretty well without a kb.

Management Sims like the Tropico games or even The Sims also work.

If you're willing to play some older games, there are plenty of great turn based RPGs like the first 2 Fallout games, Baldur's Gate, and Planescape: Torment. There's also Blood Bowl if you're looking for something more modern and with multiplayer.

Tower Defense games like Defense Grid and Unstoppable Gorg are also pretty much mouse-only.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

i3lueHorneT posted:

How about a browser based empire management game? Something medieval or feudal based, prefer to steer away from fantasy or magic setting (that is orcs, elves, wizards, dragons, etc.). I'm thinking of spreadsheets hidden behind beautifully done, colorful 2d art. Some form of battle system with a bit of tactics and animation it. Not sure what to compare it to as I haven't played one of these in the past but I know they are popular. Recommendations are appreciated.

It sounds like the the settlers online may be what you are looking for. It is mostly economy-based, but there is combat. Combat tactics are mostly limited to what units you attack with. The economy, however, is very nearly worthy of the Settlers name.

i3lueHorneT
Jun 26, 2010

ducttape posted:

It sounds like the the settlers online may be what you are looking for. It is mostly economy-based, but there is combat. Combat tactics are mostly limited to what units you attack with. The economy, however, is very nearly worthy of the Settlers name.

It looks quite good but I was thinking something less hardware intensive and maybe turned based or time restricted with town building, more 2d art and less animation but still some animated elements. I'll give it a shot while I continue looking though, thank you.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
A buddy and I have really enjoyed co-oping our way through Saints Row 3 and its DLC, is there any other game that will let us cruise around together and do the story missions/random destruction together? It has to be on the PC, though.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Are there any war games or sims out there that do a good job of presenting and teaching actual history while still being fun? Recently I've been reading up a lot about military history. It's all super interesting and new to me (except maybe the american revolution/civil war), so I don't really care if the game models a particular conflict or time period.

I have never played a war sim of any sort so I have no idea what to look for. For reference, I do enjoy turn based tactical/strategy games including X-Com, Alpha Centauri and Age of Wonders.
Graphics: Pretty pictures are nice, but I'm ok with just about anything so long as it isn't butt ugly.
Difficulty: I don't mind being thrown into the deep end with a difficult game so long as the interface is relatively easy to learn.

Help me waste time learn new things!

Edit: formatting

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Are there any war games or sims out there that do a good job of presenting and teaching actual history while still being fun? Recently I've been reading up a lot about military history. It's all super interesting and new to me (except maybe the american revolution/civil war), so I don't really care if the game models a particular conflict or time period.

I have never played a war sim of any sort so I have no idea what to look for. For reference, I do enjoy turn based tactical/strategy games including X-Com, Alpha Centauri and Age of Wonders.
Graphics: Pretty pictures are nice, but I'm ok with just about anything so long as it isn't butt ugly.
Difficulty: I don't mind being thrown into the deep end with a difficult game so long as the interface is relatively easy to learn.

Company of Heroes is on sale right now on Steam for a ridiculously small amount of money: if you liked X-Com, there's a good chance you'll like it. It's a real-time strategy game (with pausing, if I remember correctly), and the campaign has you fighting some of the more pivotal battles in World War 2.

On a more oldschool note, the Panzer General series is pretty cool if you want a fun and accessible overview of World War 2.

Ashenai fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 18, 2012

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
How about a freeware metroidvania (for PC, of course), one that's really, really big, besides La Mulana or Bunny Must Die? The more obscenely difficult puzzles, the better.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Fruits of the sea posted:

All of the Total War games are basically this, with lavish production values and excruciating attention to detail.

I don't think they're entirely historically accurate (they definitely made concessions to fit the gameplay), but they're some of the richest historical tapestries in gaming for sure.

Jiriam
Mar 5, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Are there any games out there in the vein of Majesty 2?

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
I had a few questions about Crysis and Fallout 3:

Crysis: I bought the Crysis pack from Steam this evening since I remembered I never played it before. I liked the earlier game FarCry from the developer and saw the Metacritic scores were high for Crysis 1.

What skill level is optimal? I like a challenge but I don't want to get one-shot killed, either.

Fallout 3: I was going to get this title, but read that the game was never fully supported under Windows 7.

Does getting the Fallout 3: New Vegas expansion bring the original Fallout 3 up to speed without having to do any tweaks to the game, registry, or video driver files?

I also read some people can run Fallout 3 fine in Win7, but just want to be prepared if the game doesn't like the combination of my current Windows 7 and Radeon drivers.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

nnnotime posted:

Does getting the Fallout 3: New Vegas expansion bring the original Fallout 3 up to speed without having to do any tweaks to the game, registry, or video driver files?

It's a new game, not an expansion.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Do any of the driving games on sale have off-road type races(circuits/rallies) like Dirt, or is most of the fun derived from urban smashy-smashy?

Uh, wrong thread, but I guess I can ask here anyway. What's a game like Dirt 3 but has more locations, and less obnoxious "Yo bromigo hows about you upload your race to youtube in awesome 480p resolution?", and no drift-o events?

4 inch cut no femmes fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jul 21, 2012

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Which is better, Way of the Samurai 1 or 2?

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

nnnotime posted:

Fallout 3: I was going to get this title, but read that the game was never fully supported under Windows 7.

I also read some people can run Fallout 3 fine in Win7, but just want to be prepared if the game doesn't like the combination of my current Windows 7 and Radeon drivers.

I've run Fallout 3 on a Win 7 system without any problems. Most of the issues I've read about can usually be fixed by changing a value in an ini file from a 1 to a 0.

And Fallout: New Vegas is a completely separate game, not an expansion. And it doesn't have the Win 7 issues that 3 had.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

nnnotime posted:

I had a few questions about Crysis and Fallout 3:

Crysis: I bought the Crysis pack from Steam this evening since I remembered I never played it before. I liked the earlier game FarCry from the developer and saw the Metacritic scores were high for Crysis 1.

What skill level is optimal? I like a challenge but I don't want to get one-shot killed, either.

Fun fact about Fallout: New Vegas: It's the only modern game I have that flat-out refuses to run in Eyefinity. I was looking forward to playing it again too. Unsat.

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax
I got a graphics tablet for my brother and am looking for some games that he can use with it. The only thing I can think of is Osu. Genre isn't important, I'm looking for as many options as possible.

gmq posted:

Which is better, Way of the Samurai 1 or 2?

I preferred 1. 2 has some improvements when it comes to things like collecting swords, but they added an instant kill system which makes many fights a breeze. It sucks out a lot of tension from encounters. 2 also has a more complex event system and it can be very easy to completely miss important moments, meaning you finish the game having no real impact on the narrative at all. Which is a neat feature, but 1 is probably a better introduction.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Still on the lookout for some good co-op PC games that aren't MMOs. Got Portal 2, Terraria, Minecraft and Left for Dead 2. Straight up shooters (E.G COD etc) aren't really our cup of tea co-op, nor are RTS games, at least their not my wife's, I still plan to try to get her playing Civ 5 at some point...

We'd really love a co-op rpg, something along the lines of Dragon age or Oblivion and plan to get Diablo 3 but something not quite so mindless would be good. Someone already recommended Tomb Raider Guardians of Light and plan to try that, and we also already have a couple of the Lego games on the X-Box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Lord Dekks posted:

Still on the lookout for some good co-op PC games that aren't MMOs. Got Portal 2, Terraria, Minecraft and Left for Dead 2. Straight up shooters (E.G COD etc) aren't really our cup of tea co-op, nor are RTS games, at least their not my wife's, I still plan to try to get her playing Civ 5 at some point...

We'd really love a co-op rpg, something along the lines of Dragon age or Oblivion and plan to get Diablo 3 but something not quite so mindless would be good. Someone already recommended Tomb Raider Guardians of Light and plan to try that, and we also already have a couple of the Lego games on the X-Box.

Neverwinter Nights 2 and its expansions make for a fun co-op RPG, if you can handle the 3rd edition D&D ruleset (it can be a little overwhelming.)