Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
Welp, if anyone is interested, I watched the first season! So far it's pretty funny, and I love shows where nothing much happens but there's a lot of great dialogue ('bucket episodes' are usually my favourite of any series) so this is awesom. It does have that gross 80s sitcom thing where the only reason new female characters are introduced are as 'hot - yet ultimately disposable - love interest of the week', but I get that the three main male characters are supposed to be assholes when it comes to dating and stuff, so I'll give that a pass. I love the stand-up bits! Every time Kramer appears I still find myself thinking, 'wow, it's that racist dude', but maybe that will pass. Also, it's already crazy how much 'friends' cribbed from this show and I'm only like 5 episodes in.

I did watch the Soup Nazi too, and it was hilarious :3:

Now for Season 2!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

notsoape posted:

It does have that gross 80s sitcom thing where the only reason new female characters are introduced are as 'hot - yet ultimately disposable - love interest of the week', but I get that the three main male characters are supposed to be assholes when it comes to dating and stuff, so I'll give that a pass.
Most of the characters are disposable, including most of Elaine's boyfriends. That doesn't really change throughout the series, but I don't really see how its gross. Eventually Puddy and Susan show up, but for the most part you shouldn't get too attached to any of the love interests because there's a ton of "new boyfriend/girlfriend has this weird quirk and the main character will break up with them by the end of the episode" subplots.

There's an interesting Wikipedia page that lists the minor characters and there's not many that appear in more than five episodes except bosses and family members.

If you liked the first season, then you'll probably like the rest of the series. The first six episodes are some of the weakest and they feel a bit different from season 2, which has some real classic episodes. The show is in full stride by season 3 and it doesn't let up until the end. (I'd say 8-9 are still good despite Larry David's absence.)

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

notsoape posted:

Welp, if anyone is interested, I watched the first season! So far it's pretty funny, and I love shows where nothing much happens but there's a lot of great dialogue ('bucket episodes' are usually my favourite of any series) so this is awesom. It does have that gross 80s sitcom thing where the only reason new female characters are introduced are as 'hot - yet ultimately disposable - love interest of the week', but I get that the three main male characters are supposed to be assholes when it comes to dating and stuff, so I'll give that a pass. I love the stand-up bits! Every time Kramer appears I still find myself thinking, 'wow, it's that racist dude', but maybe that will pass. Also, it's already crazy how much 'friends' cribbed from this show and I'm only like 5 episodes in.

Now for Season 2!

I envy you, notsoape.

also i think you're thinking of bottle episodes

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

wa27 posted:

There's an interesting Wikipedia page that lists the minor characters and there's not many that appear in more than five episodes except bosses and family members.

It's amazing how few episodes some of these characters were actually in. I can't believe that Jerry and George's parents were each in less than thirty episodes.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Diabolik900 posted:

It's amazing how few episodes some of these characters were actually in. I can't believe that Jerry and George's parents were each in less than thirty episodes.

Puddy's count (11) is what most surprised me. I guess having seen every episode dozens of times plays tricks on the memory.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

notsoape posted:

Now for Season 2!

Keep in mind that the first season is complete garbage. You have only gold left. Gold, Jerry!

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

When does George quit being a real estate agent? I change my recommendation to that. You should start there. Although it doesn't matter since you already started watching from season 1.

But it turns in to a much different show. As you've no doubt seen from The Soup Nazi.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

myron cope posted:

When does George quit being a real estate agent? I change my recommendation to that. You should start there. Although it doesn't matter since you already started watching from season 1.

I think it was The Revenge in the middle of season 2.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Since I got the full series boxset last Christmas I've been slowly making my way through the show, and have just started the 4th season. It kind of blows my mind just how long they left George unemployed, I remember it being maybe half a season, perhaps a full season at most.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

myron cope posted:

But it turns in to a much different show. As you've no doubt seen from The Soup Nazi.

When I was working I spent baby.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Poque posted:

Keep in mind that the first season is complete garbage. You have only gold left. Gold, Jerry!

Yeah exactly, if you've never seen Seinfeld and you're liking the first season you should completely love seasons 3-9 (I lump season 2 in with season 1).

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Well, Jerry, I've been thinking. I've gone as far as I can go with George Costanza.

Is this the suicide talk or the nickname talk?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

myron cope posted:

Well, Jerry, I've been thinking. I've gone as far as I can go with George Costanza.

Is this the suicide talk or the nickname talk?

There's no G-Bone!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

WHY SEPARATE KNOB? WHY SEPARATE KNOB?!

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

WoG posted:

Puddy's count (11) is what most surprised me. I guess having seen every episode dozens of times plays tricks on the memory.

That kinda blows my mind. It seems like Puddy is such a constant in Elaine's life later in the series. The boyfriend she doesn't want, but that she deserves

Hey, what are you doing?! Watch where you're driving, man! Don't mess with the Devils, buddy. We're number one, we beat anybody! We're the Devils! The Devils!! Hssss!!!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Relayer posted:

Yeah exactly, if you've never seen Seinfeld and you're liking the first season you should completely love seasons 3-9 (I lump season 2 in with season 1).

I do the same thing with 2 and 1, but 2 at least has The Ex-Girlfriend, which is hysterical.

While looking up the title of The Ex-Girlfriend, I learned about some unfilmed episode called The Bet that was cut because it was too dark: The Bet. It's pretty ridiculous. :stare:

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Coffee And Pie posted:

There's no G-Bone!

There's a G Spot!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
That's a myth!

neoboman
Feb 16, 2007

myron cope posted:

There's a G Spot!

That's a MYTH!

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

T-bone, the ladies are gonna love ya.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
So what was the bet about?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

jojoinnit posted:

So what was the bet about?

Whether or not Kramer hosed a flight attendant, I think. I kinda wish I could read that script, though.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
If Wikileaks focused on stuff like getting the script to The Bet I'd become a monthly donor.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Poque posted:

While looking up the title of The Ex-Girlfriend, I learned about some unfilmed episode called The Bet that was cut because it was too dark: The Bet. It's pretty ridiculous. :stare:

Hah -- "...and Ernie Sabella was cast as gun salesman Mo Korn"

you need a gun, you ask the naked subway guy.

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
I'm a few episodes into season two - 'the pony remark' had me laughing aloud for the first time :3:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

notsoape posted:

I'm a few episodes into season two - 'the pony remark' had me laughing aloud for the first time :3:

He was a beautiful pony and I loved him! :smith:

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
Haha someone liveposting about watching Seinfeld for the first time, it's a bit wonderful

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Step off, George.
Just STEP OFF!

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Robnoxious posted:

Step off, George.
Just STEP OFF!

What are you doing...maņana?

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Criminal Minded posted:

Maņana I'm doin' nada.

MINT WIZARD
Apr 25, 2007

This isn't going to stop until Pictionary bans the word windmill.
I'm supposed to have a boil lanced maņana...

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
So, I line up my cold cuts on the couch next to me but as I'm stacking them up they keep falling into my foot bath!

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.
Mm-hmm. I prepared it as I bathed.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Going to a parking garage? No, it's like going to a prostitute! Why pay for something when, if I apply myself, maybe I can get it for free?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

T. Mascis posted:

So, I line up my cold cuts on the couch next to me but as I'm stacking them up they keep falling into my foot bath!

Awww, I bought a bunch of bunion stories off of Newman, but they all stink!

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
Run, Billy! Run to the office and close the door!

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

DrBouvenstein posted:

Awww, I bought a bunch of bunion stories off of Newman, but they all stink!

How much did you p-
Eight bucks!

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
You better be careful on those rocks tomorrow buddy!

And you're not getting any sandwiches! :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Criminal Minded posted:

You should hear the way he talks to waitresses. He gets free pie!