Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Deviant posted:

All the players know the rules, they should be able to set up the terrain without your help.
And yet, events still have organisers, and judges, and general helpers at every single one...

E: No top of page support makes me so very sad. :smithicide:
E:E: It's even page 3x9...

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Deviant posted:

Let me rephrase this:

"How dare you insult the integrity of my inability to run a tournament following the rules of the game I am running the tournament for."

There's nothing wrong with what Corrode wants to do for his own tournament.

Jesus Christ, there's someone who is making me want to defend Corrode. :psyduck:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Corrode posted:

That isn't the question I asked.

No, it's the answer to the question you were really asking.

Setting up the terrain by the book introduces no additional complexity on the part of the TO, and allows the usage of all legal FOC terrain. There's no good reason not to.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Deviant posted:

No, it's the answer to the question you were really asking.

So what you mean is that no, you haven't, and you have no idea of what's involved. Shut the gently caress up.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

theironjef posted:

We had the first houserule go official in our store league in about 24 hours. It's an amendment to the Tyranid FAQ, that reads:

"Are Tyranid units inside buildings (ie the Bastion) subject to instinctive behavior tests? Further, are they able to manual fire emplaced weapons?

A: No to both questions. Wait no, yes to the second one. Jesus gently caress who keeps asking these bizarre non-rules-discrepancy related fluff questions about tyranids? Make them stop."

If I model my own tyranidy Bastion and replace the heavy bolters/emplaced weapons with tyranid looking weapons can embarked tyranids fire them?

Can embarked non-tyranids fire them?!?!?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Ya'll dudes really doing the "you could just not play" thing because that's kind of lame. It's true, of course, but bringing that up is super obvious and isn't really helping things, because you could always just "not do" something you spent a lot of money on and enjoy.

Not hatin', just sayin'.

Also Corrode do you have people helping you with the tournament business? Because goddamn, terrain or not, even GW, who make the rules, need more than one homeboy runnin' around making sure hams aren't sticking terminators up their noses or fingerpainting their guardsmen.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

PierreTheMime posted:

Okay, how many points is this guy? SIX BRB powers and the option to expend one of his three warp charges (as good a psyker as Eldrad) to get a 2+ Invulnerable save at the beginning of his turn that lasts until his next turn?

If he's not 250+pts that's literally the worst example of how overpowered/undercosted FW models are. Good lord.

Well, non-Tyranid FW models.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Corrode posted:

So what you mean is that no, you haven't, and you have no idea of what's involved. Shut the gently caress up.

Real answer: I don't need to be an artist to know what sucks.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

The Saddest Robot posted:

If I model my own tyranidy Bastion and replace the heavy bolters/emplaced weapons with tyranid looking weapons can embarked tyranids fire them?

Can embarked non-tyranids fire them?!?!?

A: No to the first question and yes to the second. The reason is because non-Tyranid armies have carefully studied Tyranid bioorganisms and can operate them without much difficulty.

:downs:

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
As long as their stats are still correct, why can't Tyranids fire them? I'd love to see a Tyranid Bastion spraying biogoop everywhere.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

No, I couldn't care less what you think of my events. I'm just furious that someone is actually posting DakkaDakka level 'pure 40k only 40k' bullshit in this otherwise good thread.

Babe Magnet, there's myself and one other. We have a couple buddies who pitch in with terrain transport and set-up because that's by far the hardest part.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Just out of Curiosity, are the Stormtalons or Stormravens any good?

Also, what do Marines have for AA? I am assuming that massed Baal Predator chain gun fire would probably bring things down nicely, but I am not sure. (probably not as nicely as a Leman Russ Punisher though... I think.)

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Doesn't one of the Dark Eldar HQ units have like fifty billion BS but no gun? A might convince my DE bro to grab an emplacement kit.

Corrode posted:

Babe Magnet, there's myself and one other. We have a couple buddies who pitch in with terrain transport and set-up because that's by far the hardest part.

I can see how terrain could be a problem, but that's literally covered in the rules now, so without having to set-up, things should actually be a bit easier on you. You just have to have the terrain on-hand.

Have you ran a tournament with the new terrain rules yet?

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 9, 2012

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

jadebullet posted:

Just out of Curiosity, are the Stormtalons or Stormravens any good?

Also, what do Marines have for AA? I am assuming that massed Baal Predator chain gun fire would probably bring things down nicely, but I am not sure. (probably not as nicely as a Leman Russ Punisher though... I think.)

Your AA is basically allied Guard with Hydras, the Aegis Defence Line or using your own planes.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Phyresis posted:

Yeah, I'm familiar with the NOVA setup and I love what you guys are doing, btw. NOVA is the model that all 40k tournaments should strive to follow.

e: You guys could figure something out, like letting the player replace a terrain on his deployment with a fortification or something.

There's a logistical issue here. Letting a player replace that piece of terrain would mean we'd have to find a place to put them. Stuff would get lost or misplaced, and they wouldn't necessarily put it back after the game was done. Terrain building is a major part of making a tournament fun.

This isn't directed at you Phyresis, but to put things into perspective a 256 man tournmanet (ie just the 40K part of NOVA) requires 128 tables. That means using our 7 piece system we need 896 pieces of terrain. If we strictly followed the BRB we would need an average of 12 pieces of terrain per table (d3 pieces per 2'x2' section), or 1536 not including spares. For an idea of how insane a task just getting enough terrain for the current system is check out Mike Brandt's Whiskey & 40K blog. Mike is the lead for the NOVA Open and the guy who runs everything. I just handle scoring and also help around with paint judging and whatnot.

Deviant it's a shame you don't like the NOVA style format. It's actually a very good format for competitive play, and there have been plenty of other tournmanets that use it successfully. But it's definitely a variation on 40K, and nobody disputes that. The terrain setup is different, the missions are different, it will most likely have its own FAQ, and there are no apologies for that.

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

Babe Magnet posted:

Doesn't one of the Dark Eldar HQ units have like fifty billion BS but no gun? A might convince my DE bro to grab an emplacement kit.

Yeah, Lelith has 9 BS and no guns. She's also 185 points.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Shockeh posted:

As long as their stats are still correct, why can't Tyranids fire them? I'd love to see a Tyranid Bastion spraying biogoop everywhere.

I'm still going to make a biocannon for an Interceptor Skyfire gun and use walls of plastic foliage properly shaped and sized to ADL measurements in some of my lists. Having a critter blindly fire at the closest valid target is pretty Tyranid-y.

Mycetic Sporepods are BS2 as well, so it's somewhat fluffy albeit an unnecessary nerf super-glued onto the already sizeable pile of Nerf products that GW tossed at Tyranid in 6th Ed.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Moonwolf posted:

Yeah, Lelith has 9 BS and no guns. She's also 185 points.

True but she'll be in the back behind some cover the entire game or so, on a neat gun, so it could be worth it.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Saddest Robot posted:

My brother in law is interested in the tau, he likes the aesthetics. So instead of pairing up my Deathwing with a zippy Eldar force I think I will pair them up with a shooty tau force. But I don't know poo poo about tau, except that broadsides and smart missiles are good if you can get a markerlight hit on a flyer.

What should I throw on here? I'm looking for ~600 pts worth of tau for the detachment. Does this look good? Are there any obvious upgrades I am missing or bad ones that I have selected?

HQ
Shas'el Commander - using the forgeworld model
- Hardwired Blacksun Filter
- Plasma Rifle
- Shield Generator
- Drone Controller - 1 Marker Drone, 1 Gun drone
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Tau/TAU-BATTLESUITS-AND-DRONES/TAU-BATTLESUIT-COMMANDER-SHAS-O-RALAI-WITH-DRONES.html

Troops
Fire Warrior Team
- 11 Shas'la
- 1 Shas'ui
-- Hard-Wired Blacksun Filter
-- Markerlight
Devilfish
- Blacksun Filter
- Seeker Missile
- Disruption Pod
- Multi-Tracker

Heavy Support
XV88 Broadside
- 3 Shas'Ui
- Target Lock
- Smart Missile System
- 1 Team Leader w Hard-Wired Blacksun Filter

This will be paired up with:
Belial, Master of the Deathwing
1 librarian
1 CC Venerable Dread
2 Deathwing Squads

Target Lock has been FAQed to do nothing

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Deviant it's a shame you don't like the NOVA style format. It's actually a very good format for competitive play, and there have been plenty of other tournmanets that use it successfully. But it's definitely a variation on 40K, and nobody disputes that. The terrain setup is different, the missions are different, it will most likely have its own FAQ, and there are no apologies for that.

I'd like it just fine if I were allowed to bring legal army choices. It's that simple. As soon as you tell me I can't take a simple BRB FOC choice, we have a problem. It's like saying "We only use 2 heavy support slots".

V-- We were just taking a turn back towards civility, so go fill out your hurt feelings report.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 9, 2012

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Deviant posted:

I'd like it just fine if I were allowed to bring legal army choices. It's that simple. As soon as you tell me I can't take a simple BRB FOC choice, we have a problem. It's like saying "We only use 2 heavy support slots".

I'm sure you'll be sorely missed.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

jadebullet posted:

It's all Forgeworld so far:

Mortis pattern Contemptors get skyfire when staying still. Basicallly will gently caress any flyer out of the sky.

Then there is the Whirlwind Hyperios but it's pretty much Anti Air only (has skyfire and interceptor). The Contemptor can still kill other stuff if you knock out the enemies fliers, the Hyperios is a one trick pony.

I think you can fit a Land Raider Helios with a Hyperios launcher as well but that's really not cost effective.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

You guys don't have to be such dicks to each other all the time.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

CyberLord XP posted:

Then there is the Whirlwind Hyperios but it's pretty much Anti Air only (has skyfire and interceptor).

The opposite of this is true; the fact that it has Skyfire and Interceptor means it's not anti-air only.

e: it's also beyond god-awful, 115 points for one krak missile.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

pw pw pw posted:

You guys don't have to be such dicks to each other all the time.

What are you talking about, this is great.

Someone's going to check this thread later tonight and they'll see a shitload of posts and instead of content it'll just be hams burning hams left and right.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

CyberLord XP posted:

Then there is the Whirlwind Hyperios but it's pretty much Anti Air only (has skyfire and interceptor). The Contemptor can still kill other stuff if you knock out the enemies fliers, the Hyperios is a one trick pony.

I was under the impression that a model with both Skyfire and Interceptor could opt to fire at models on the ground as well. I could be wrong, but I left my book in the car and it's so far away.

E: Phyresis :argh:

EE: Hot drat this thread moves so fast nowadays.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

PierreTheMime posted:

I was under the impression that a model with both Skyfire and Interceptor could opt to fire at models on the ground as well. I could be wrong, but I left my book in the car and it's so far away.

This is correct.

quote:

If a weapon has both the Interceptor
and Skyfire special rules, it uses its full
Ballistic Skill against all targets (unless it
is firing Snap Shots).

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
So what's the mortis contemptor loadout?

Twin kheres or twin autocannon?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Corrode posted:

No, I couldn't care less what you think of my events. I'm just furious that someone is actually posting DakkaDakka level 'pure 40k only 40k' bullshit in this otherwise good thread.

What tournament do you run?

Deviant posted:

I'd like it just fine if I were allowed to bring legal army choices. It's that simple. As soon as you tell me I can't take a simple BRB FOC choice, we have a problem.

A Fortress of Redemption or Skyshield simply won't fit on the board with our terrain configuration, and we've decided that the logistics behind accommodating such a large fortification simply isn't viable. Given that NOVA will be the first major tournament to incorporate 6th edition it's going to be a major test bed for what does and doesn't work. I'm sure we're going to screw something up, but we'd rather screw it up in 6th then get it perfect in 5th.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

So what's the mortis contemptor loadout?

Twin kheres or twin autocannon?

Let's talk Forgeworld. I was literally just wondering this 15 minutes ago. Imo, twin autocannon because you need the range for anti-air, period. It is going to be exceedingly easy to avoid being within 24" of one, especially since he can't move and Skyfire.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What tournament do you run?

A Fortress of Redemption or Skyshield simply won't fit on the board with our terrain configuration, and we've decided that the logistics behind accommodating such a large fortification simply isn't viable. Given that NOVA will be the first major tournament to incorporate 6th edition it's going to be a major test bed for what does and doesn't work. I'm sure we're going to screw something up, but we'd rather screw it up in 6th then get it perfect in 5th.

Then we're going to have to agree to disagree, as I feel your rights as a TO stop short of denying me legitimate unit choices. They are equally as valid as any codex unit.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Deviant posted:

V-- We were just taking a turn back towards civility, so go fill out your hurt feelings report.

Do you understand just how big the Fortress of Redemption is? Here's a picture from the Apoc game I played earlier this year:

The perspective's a bit off due to the camera angle, but notice how the fucker is bigger than a Hierophant Bio-Titan. I've never played in a tournament myself, but I can absolutely understand that the time restrictions alone would preclude anything more elaborate than the most basic terrain setup, and having to somehow deal with getting that thing on the table is clearly not worth the many, many headaches it would cause.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Deviant posted:

Then we're going to have to agree to disagree, as I feel your rights as a TO stop short of denying me legitimate unit choices.

Fair enough.

I'm not the TO. Just the guy helping the TO run things. I'll be the one hunched in the back room staring a screen compiling scores.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah, I don't think he's got a problem with the concept of NOVA or Tournament Homebrews in theory, he's just not a big fan of them if they deliberately limit army choices, which NOVA does. You say you're testing some thing, but if your board can't fit legal army choices, not because it's unfair or imbalanced, but because it's "hard" or "difficult" or it ruins your finely-tuned setup, then you either need to run a new set-up and fix that issue or just accept that NOVA probably isn't that great to run with 6E.

But you could be fixing that. I don't play Tournaments myself, for I am poo poo at actually playing this game, so whatever.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phyresis posted:

Let's talk Forgeworld. I was literally just wondering this 15 minutes ago. Imo, twin autocannon because you need the range for anti-air, period. It is going to be exceedingly easy to avoid being within 24" of one, especially since he can't move and Skyfire.

I'm planning on running three, so I'm not worried about range. I've only used a contemptor once (proxied), and giving it two kheres and a CML made it just absolutely rape face.

e: Running three on the theory that they'd complement Deathwing much better than three typhoon speeders and a LRC.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Corrode posted:

You're a loving idiot, buddy. I can't think of a way to explain to you how much of a pain in the rear end the rulebook version of terrain set-ups would be for running an event because you're clearly too dumb to grasp it. Removing one (1) fortification from your choices because it makes my life more difficult than it needs to be is not 'not playing 40k' and neither is setting up terrain in the same fashion it's always been done instead of allowing players to gently caress around with it.

Up to 18 pieces of terrain is kind of crazy but it says with terrain pool available. So give each table 5-7 pieces, roll off for each section, count hills and poo poo built in to the board as a piece for that 2x2 section and have people place normally. Since a 3" gap has to be between pieces it should all work out. Also if people really want some massive LOS blocking piece or something they can pay the points and make it happen. This will also teach players how to use terrain placement effectively as cover and area denial.

I played Mechwarrior: Dark Ages and the terrain was placed similarly to this and it was pretty awesome.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

So how about those fortifications that offer anti aircraft options to armies otherwise without?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Deviant posted:

Then we're going to have to agree to disagree, as I feel your rights as a TO stop short of denying me legitimate unit choices. They are equally as valid as any codex unit.

Never look at comp then, it'll make your head explode.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I'm planning on running three, so I'm not worried about range. I've only used a contemptor once (proxied), and giving it two kheres and a CML made it just absolutely rape face.

They seem good, but those are over 200 points a piece!

moths posted:

So how about those fortifications that offer anti aircraft options to armies otherwise without?

I'm the only one saying this, but those gun emplacements are fragile and expensive. Expect it to die on turn 1 from anti-vehicle heavy weapons fire. I know for sure that I will missile/lascannon it on turn 1 if I'm running flyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Babe Magnet posted:

Someone's going to check this thread later tonight and they'll see a shitload of posts and instead of content it'll just be hams burning hams left and right.

It's me. I'm the guy.

• Locked thread