Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh my god Toledo has a street hockey league gently caress yessssssss it is 1995 all over again :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

azathosk posted:

That one is the best. It shows speed and you got the face in the shot.

It does? The spokes are frozen, the tire tread isn't even blurred. It looks like a bike hanging motionless in the air to me.

The fuzziness to the other shots work much better if anyone's asking me.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
I think it gets too fuzzy. It just makes everything so ... messy.

TheLizard
Oct 27, 2004

I am the Lizard Queen!
I shot a horse trials a few weeks ago and actually for the first time got some good pictures.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Holy poo poo holy poo poo holy poo poo

There's a pretty small chance I might get photo passes for the ND vs. Navy football game in Dublin's Aviva Stadium

:pray:

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

DJExile posted:

There's a pretty small chance I might get photo passes for the ND vs. Navy football game in Dublin's Aviva Stadium

That would rock all sorts of socks, keep us posted!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BobTheCow posted:

That would rock all sorts of socks, keep us posted!

Will do. I'm actually going across the pond a week early and making a vacation of it, going to Edinburgh and Belfast. To shoot something like that game along with it would be tits on toast.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.

DJExile posted:

Will do. I'm actually going across the pond a week early and making a vacation of it, going to Edinburgh and Belfast. To shoot something like that game along with it would be tits on toast.
Damnnn, I hope you're able to make it down and the weather cooperates.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Miko posted:

Damnnn, I hope you're able to make it down and the weather cooperates.

My body, 50-200 and 35-100 are weather sealed really well. Truth told, a rainy game could be a hell of a lot of fun. I used my 35-100mm f/2.0 with a 1.4x TC to shoot a rugby match once in a pretty stiff rain and it was fantastic. I'll have to put some of those up.

E: To be sure, I'm not going to complain about a clear day, either. :v:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh hey some stuff I shot in April and forgot about :downs:

Untitled by PhotoBen27, on Flickr

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

DJExile posted:

That would be so cool. A large stadium with a huge event and packed with fans.

Some more football shots:

Skeid - Kjelsås 24.06.2012 by azathosk, on Flickr

efcso
Sep 11, 2001

I'm watching you!
Hi Goons.

I recently decided to learn how to take nice photos, rather than my former habit of pointing a camera at something and pressing a button with everything set in "idiot" mode. To that end I picked up a Canon 600d (aka Rebel t3i in some places) that came with two IS lenses.

My first excursion with it was to my son's football game on Sunday. Sure they look nice for the boys to share with each other on Farcebook, but I'm not sure how they go beyond that. This said, I thought I might share a couple with you in the hopes that there might be hope for me yet.

I've done no processing, just cropped them a bit. Feedback is strongly encouraged. I am here to learn, receive guidance and generally try not to suck so much next time.

600D-63.jpg by efcso1, on Flickr

600D-58.jpg by efcso1, on Flickr

600D-73.jpg by efcso1, on Flickr

The rest of the ones I uploaded are here.

Also never used Flickr before, so apologies in advance if I cock something up there too.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ek posted:

Hi Goons.

I recently decided to learn how to take nice photos, rather than my former habit of pointing a camera at something and pressing a button with everything set in "idiot" mode. To that end I picked up a Canon 600d (aka Rebel t3i in some places) that came with two IS lenses.

My first excursion with it was to my son's football game on Sunday. Sure they look nice for the boys to share with each other on Farcebook, but I'm not sure how they go beyond that. This said, I thought I might share a couple with you in the hopes that there might be hope for me yet.

I've done no processing, just cropped them a bit. Feedback is strongly encouraged. I am here to learn, receive guidance and generally try not to suck so much next time.

600D-63.jpg by efcso1, on Flickr

600D-58.jpg by efcso1, on Flickr

600D-73.jpg by efcso1, on Flickr

The rest of the ones I uploaded are here.

Also never used Flickr before, so apologies in advance if I cock something up there too.

Your 2nd one is the best of these 3, but why such a closed down aperture? In almost every case, you want it as wide open as can be.

For your 3rd, it's a cool moment but you almost always want your subjects facing you. Backs of players are very rarely good subjects. What lens(es) are you using?

efcso
Sep 11, 2001

I'm watching you!

DJExile posted:

Your 2nd one is the best of these 3, but why such a closed down aperture? In almost every case, you want it as wide open as can be.

For your 3rd, it's a cool moment but you almost always want your subjects facing you. Backs of players are very rarely good subjects. What lens(es) are you using?

Cheers!

I was farting around with some of the presets early in the game before I got too adventurous, testing the "sports mode" etc, so the second pic here was one of those.

The 600D came with two lenses, an EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS II and an EFS 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS II.

I also got hold of a copy of Lightroom (:argh: Adobe & your differential pricing:rant:) on Goon advice, although I have few skills (if any) yet when it comes to post-processing. :downs:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Roller derbies are fun as heck, but shooting at 1600 all night isn't :argh:

Derby by iantuten, on Flickr

And a bonus cool car that was parked outside :shobon:

Old Oldsmobile by iantuten, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Gutting it out by torgeaux, on Flickr

Second Woman by torgeaux, on Flickr

Sprinting to the Finish by torgeaux, on Flickr

efcso
Sep 11, 2001

I'm watching you!

I really like this. The dad's facial expression brought a smile to my face. I also get an impression of "community" from the overall pic and the background - people running/jogging, waving their arms, family & friends on the footpath cheering.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

This is adorable :kiddo:

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

Aaaw.... :3:

Vålerenga - Aalesunds FK

VIF - AaFK by azathosk, on Flickr

efcso
Sep 11, 2001

I'm watching you!

azathosk posted:

Aaaw.... :3:

Vålerenga - Aalesunds FK

I am loving each and every one of these. Quite jealous actually. Trawling the heck out of them for ideas though. Where do you usually sit when you're shooting?

I'm out to the son's game again tomorrow morning, so we'll see what I can come up with.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

ek posted:

I am loving each and every one of these. Quite jealous actually. Trawling the heck out of them for ideas though. Where do you usually sit when you're shooting?

I'm out to the son's game again tomorrow morning, so we'll see what I can come up with.

Thanks. I'm positioning myself between the 5 and 16 meter line of the box.

Depends really on what I'm shooting. This is from the norwegian premiership so I'm not allowed to sit anywhere else than behind the short side of the pitch. Skeid on the other hand is in the third tier of the league system so I'm allowed to move around alot more.

efcso
Sep 11, 2001

I'm watching you!

azathosk posted:

Thanks. I'm positioning myself between the 5 and 16 meter line of the box.

Depends really on what I'm shooting. This is from the norwegian premiership so I'm not allowed to sit anywhere else than behind the short side of the pitch. Skeid on the other hand is in the third tier of the league system so I'm allowed to move around alot more.

Sweet.

I've normally been on the sidelines along with the other parents, yelling encouragement etc - if you accept calls to my son of "Run you lazy little bastard" as a form of encouragement. I'll see if I can get down to the byline for a bit tomorrow and see if I can get some decent shots.

Also, do you normally process your images much? If so, what do you do to them?

efcso
Sep 11, 2001

I'm watching you!
Here's the offering from yesterday. I tried to position myself with the sun behind, but with it being midwinter, there was a lot of contrast between sunshine and shadow. Any suggestions on how to minimise this?

IMG_1213 by efcso1, on Flickr

I like this, but the contrast between the light & shade has blown it out horribly.

IMG_1178 by efcso1, on Flickr

IMG_1181 by efcso1, on Flickr

IMG_1189 by efcso1, on Flickr

IMG_1201 by efcso1, on Flickr

IMG_1279 by efcso1, on Flickr

The rest are here if anyone's interested.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The action is getting better but you need to crop in tighter. On the first one, there's no need for really anyone in the shot except the girl with the ball and maybe her teammate.

The 2nd is a good moment. Crop it in from the sides to where the primary focus is the two players and W/B off the white jersey. Being in the shade like that is tough, but I'd rather have the background blown out if it means we get a better exposure on the players. If you have another game with light like this, try center-weighted metering instead of a matrix/full metering setting and see if that helps.

In the third, it's a good chaotic moment but we need to see the ball somewhere in there. It's also a lot of backs.

The 4th isn't a bad picture per se, but there's noting really happening in it.

5th again, is a good moment, but could stand to have a very generous crop. I know 250mm isn't the longest focal length, and soccer being a huge field sport, it can be very tough to get in tight. You're either going to need longer glass (which isn't cheap), wait for the action to get closer (which isn't always easy), or do some heavy cropping (which isn't always great for editing). Unfortunately, this gets to the harder part of large-field sports photography: you've either got to pay up for some long, fast glass, or wait for the action to get closer, which might mean you'll miss some good moments.

The last one is a great moment. I'd crop out #4 and tighten up on the player so we don't see so many of the fans in the background. Probably right to the man in the blue striped shirt sitting on the ground.

In terms of the light/shadow stuff, setting your W/B to something other than Auto may help a bit. You can either do a CWB off the white jerseys of one team, or most cameras should have a "sunny/clear day" setting. Underexposing at -0.3 or -0.7 would help ensure you don't blow out the white jersey team as well. A really bright overhead sun like you have can be tough to work with at times.

Being at f/5.6 on the long end means you're still going to have a very deep depth of field, so tighter crops will help keep the viewer's attention off of background objects/fans that are still in focus.

I hate to sound like I'm ripping your stuff apart, they are a definite improvement :) Keep at it!

efcso
Sep 11, 2001

I'm watching you!

DJExile posted:

Wise :words:

I hate to sound like I'm ripping your stuff apart, they are a definite improvement :) Keep at it!

Nooo... I want you to rip my stuff apart, that's why I'm asking goons to critique my work. Thanks for your honesty and guidance.

This kind of feedback is the only way I can improve, get away from "auto" mode and start to capture the images that I'm seeing in my mind's eye - not only to get the photo with the camera, but to then learn the intricacies of post-processing to give them that little something special.

Moving targets are my weakest subject, which is why I'm obsessing over them at the moment. Most of my camera-wrangling has been work-related incident/forensic/crime scene stuff, wide-area scenes (official ceremonies) and the odd bit of portraiture (like medal presentations) - again, all work-related - and none of which I claim to be particularly good at.

Meanwhile, I'll have a bit of a play with the suggestions you made and report back. Thanks again DJExile!

E: Oh, they're all guys BTW. Jayden sure does need a haircut though. :D

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ek posted:

E: Oh, they're all guys BTW. Jayden sure does need a haircut though. :D

Wow, that's some egg on my face :downs:

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd
Turbine powaaaargh!

Howmet TX @ Le Mans Classic '12 by R-W-P (Rupert in Hong Kong), on Flickr

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

ek posted:

Also, do you normally process your images much? If so, what do you do to them?

I try to get the exposure right at once, but I do some extra sharpening, fix the contrast, exposure and those things. And of course: Cropping.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I feel bad giving everyone advice because holy gently caress like all the rest of you completely own compared to the pictures I post :stare:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pfft it's crap, the wheels are frozen. What is this, your first day of panning?

(just kidding it's loving awesome)

I got some shimmer like that when I did MotoGP last summer and Indianpolis, but I had a terrible background and it was almost impossible to see. I want to try and get a better shot of it this year.

efcso
Sep 11, 2001

I'm watching you!
Something a little different this time.

We have a new A-League team here in Western Sydney - the Western Sydney Wanderers FC - and they held an open training session last week, so I tagged along with my boys and took a few snaps from the grandstand. I couldn't get onto the pitch and, even if I could have, it was raining most of the time and I don't particularly want to get my new camera wet.

So these are a sampling of my long-range stuff, plus a couple from afterwards during the fan meet-and-greet, although I wish I'd brought the shorter lens along for those.

As always, advice/feedback/brickbats will be gratefully received!

Trialist Goalkeeper Jerrad Tyson

IMG_1357 by efcso1, on Flickr

IMG_1363 by efcso1, on Flickr

Regular Keeper Ante Covic going the other way. (something is definitely wrong with this but I can't figure out what)

IMG_1383 by efcso1, on Flickr

At the Meet & Greet, it had gotten quite overcast and darker than I had realised under the grandstand roof, but with a fair bit of glare coming in from behind. Should I have used some/more flash?

Matthew Bridge & Nikolai Topor-Stanley

IMG_1620 by efcso1, on Flickr

Covic again. This guy has eyes like lasers. I'm sure if he had looked at me the lens would have exploded.

IMG_1624 by efcso1, on Flickr

The Boss, Tony Popovic.

IMG_1633 by efcso1, on Flickr

Do your thing Goons.

efcso
Sep 11, 2001

I'm watching you!
And a couple from today's game. Set here.

The light was giving me grief, going from dark & gloomy to bright sunshine in minutes, and I'm not enjoying the lack of sharpness when I crop in close. Any suggestions?

Tom

IMG_1897 by efcso1, on Flickr

Jake (and yes, the bloke behind him is wearing sunglasses (prescription I guess)

IMG_1908 by efcso1, on Flickr

Jake in on goal

IMG_1912 by efcso1, on Flickr

Although it's shot through the net, I like this one for the look on the keeper's face.

IMG_1914 by efcso1, on Flickr

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Went to see Rally Estonia - the biggest event in the Baltics - on Friday and Saturday, great stuff. It rained a ton but I kept myself and my camera under a raincoat and it seems that we've survived.

That Lancia is a beaut.

Some pretty crazy jumps, sadly heads in the crowd or photographers near the track kind of ruined a lot of shots. I really should work on getting one of those media passes one day so I could risk my life even more get closer to the track.

Lot of rocks and dirt flying around, luckily few made it near the spectators and they didn't have much motion left once they got that far.
Link to the whole set.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

ek posted:

Regular Keeper Ante Covic going the other way. (something is definitely wrong with this but I can't figure out what)

IMG_1383 by efcso1, on Flickr

This is a good moment, but what's "off" is that he's diving away from you so you're missing his face. Your other goalie shots are stronger because they include the player's face. There's still a lot of dead space that could be cropped out in those, but depending on how cropped down they are already you may not be able to.

ek posted:

The light was giving me grief, going from dark & gloomy to bright sunshine in minutes, and I'm not enjoying the lack of sharpness when I crop in close. Any suggestions?

Tom

IMG_1897 by efcso1, on Flickr

Jake (and yes, the bloke behind him is wearing sunglasses (prescription I guess)

IMG_1908 by efcso1, on Flickr

These two are the strongest moments from your second post, but the background really hurts them both. Shooting at a wider aperture may help, but that may be a limitation of your lens. What you can definitely do though, regardless of equipment, it to shoot from a lower position. Get down on your rear end or knees and shoot up, which may clean up your backgrounds somewhat but will definitely improve the context of the players.

Angryhead posted:

Went to see Rally Estonia - the biggest event in the Baltics - on Friday and Saturday, great stuff. It rained a ton but I kept myself and my camera under a raincoat and it seems that we've survived.

That Lancia is a beaut.

Some pretty crazy jumps, sadly heads in the crowd or photographers near the track kind of ruined a lot of shots. I really should work on getting one of those media passes one day so I could risk my life even more get closer to the track.

I hardly ever shoot motorsports, so take this advice with a grain of salt... what I like about these two is that the cars are tack sharp, so you obviously understand panning. However, the backgrounds aren't blurred enough for me for it to be really effective, especially in the second one. The tents and people just look a little shaky, whereas I'd like the shutter speed to be even slower so that they're streaky instead of seizurey.

---------------

I shot Color Me Rad this weekend, which was pretty fun, and super messy. A few of my favorites:

And I ended up just as covered as the runners:

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...
Cross-posting from the low-effort dump:

Frank Avendano: ollie sequence 1 of 5 by Trip Sixes, on Flickr

Frank Avendano: ollie sequence 2 of 5 by Trip Sixes, on Flickr

Frank Avendano: ollie sequence 3 of 5 by Trip Sixes, on Flickr

Frank Avendano: ollie sequence 4 of 5 by Trip Sixes, on Flickr

Frank Avendano: ollie sequence 5 of 5 by Trip Sixes, on Flickr

My first real test of burst mode and AF tracking on the OM-D, also first time out with the 45-200. Pretty pleased with the outcome.

The last time I shot skateboarding was back in the late 80's with a 35mm body and no winder, so this was an entirely different animal this time out. This was my first time shooting with this skater, and while I am pleased with the outcome, I have a lot more ideas and am hoping for both a better location and more sunny conditions next time around. I have a better idea of my limitations and know where a lot of my mistakes were made this time, so I really want to get back out there and improve on these.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!
I got to play with a decent lens for sports on the weekend and went to a local AFL (aussie rules) game.
I'd love some feedback on the photos in the set.
It's a difficult game to shoot because the field is huge and the play moves incredibly fast. For Americans I would think it would be best to liken it to Lacrosse.

Coburg Tigers Vs North Ballarat Roosters - 21/07/2012 by rory.a.gibson, on Flickr

Coburg Tigers Vs North Ballarat Roosters - 21/07/2012 by rory.a.gibson, on Flickr

Rest of the set is here - link

pkid fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jul 24, 2012

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
A few from Sunday's match Stabæk vs Vålerenga:

Stabæk - Vålerenga 22.07.2012 by azathosk, on Flickr

Seagull Fiasco
Jul 25, 2011

pkid posted:

I got to play with a decent lens for sports on the weekend and went to a local AFL (aussie rules) game.
I'd love some feedback on the photos in the set.
It's a difficult game to shoot because the field is huge and the play moves incredibly fast. For Americans I would think it would be best to liken it to Lacrosse.

Hey there, fellow aussie rules-shooting buddy! I'll be happy to offer some advice and pointers, though keep in mind that I'm far from a pro and probably heavily prejudiced by my own opinions - and I'm a European at that, so no native knowledge of the sport.

I have some favourites from your set:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rorygibson/7621483060/in/photostream/ - this is great, the kid really looks like he should be illustrating a text book on kicks, focus is right, composition with the space on the right gives him somewhere to go - I like.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rorygibson/7621494798/in/set-72157630694116416 - fierce dude, good way of showing off the players in other situations than just playing (this is my weakness).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rorygibson/7621496502/in/set-72157630694116416/

As far as criticism goes, you should pay attention to your horizons - a lot of them are crooked and it unnecessarily draws attention from the action. Also, keep in mind that seeing faces usually make the images a lot more interesting (and dear god the faces you get to see in this game, magnificent). Generally, I prefer to keep the action parts of the shots in focus, instead of the backs of the people who are watching, but if you could get the onlookers' faces instead, I think you might have something going there. I would also suggest you try not to cut off players' legs or heads and try to fit the full bodies into the shot. I know this isn't always possible (or even desirable, some shots need to be tight) but here, for example:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rorygibson/7621517900/in/photostream/ - here I'm very curious what's going on with the player on the ground, and zooming out a bit so that he would've fit in I think would've made for a more compelling shot.

Overall, though, good work - you're right that it's a hard sport to shoot. I think you've done well in managing to cut out some of the clutter that's inevitable with so many players on the field.

In case you're wondering "what sort of credentials does this person have anyway", here's a set of some of my sports photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/northern_lights/sets/72157627364220096/with/7031600339/

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006
Mens Olympic Road Race passed right by my flat so chanced a few shots of team GB

Mark Cavendish

P7288308 by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

Bradley Wiggins (winner of the tour de france)

P7288306 by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

eventually gold medalist Alexander Vinikourov of Kazakhstan

P7288301 by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

I believe the wheels are supposed to have a slight blur with this kind of thing, but as I only had a few seconds with little chance of setting up I just went with a fast shutter speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

efcso
Sep 11, 2001

I'm watching you!
w00t! Thanks for the feedback!

BobTheCow posted:

This is a good moment, but what's "off" is that he's diving away from you so you're missing his face. Your other goalie shots are stronger because they include the player's face. There's still a lot of dead space that could be cropped out in those, but depending on how cropped down they are already you may not be able to.
Thanks! that's what I think was bothering me about it, but I didn't know why. Soon as I read your feedback, it clicked.

BobTheCow posted:

These two are the strongest moments from your second post, but the background really hurts them both. Shooting at a wider aperture may help, but that may be a limitation of your lens. What you can definitely do though, regardless of equipment, it to shoot from a lower position. Get down on your rear end or knees and shoot up, which may clean up your backgrounds somewhat but will definitely improve the context of the players.
I've got a nice new folding chair that I'll give a run-out this coming weekend.

BobTheCow posted:

---------------

I shot Color Me Rad this weekend, which was pretty fun, and super messy. A few of my favorites:

And I ended up just as covered as the runners:

No real technical critique from me, but I do love the colours in those. Also looks like you were practising photography as a full body-contact sport. :)