Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ovanova
Feb 27, 2012

SgtScruffy posted:

Does anyone know what this dish I had in Beijing is:

It's a Northwestern (I believe Muslim-influenced) dish, and is a very dry dish. It was a lamb dish, with some sort of dry rub, and very dry crisp onions, and green hot pepper slices.

It's VERY similar to the dish known as "Cumin Lamb", but all the cumin lamb I've seen has been somewhat greasy, or with a decent amount of oil. This was just about dry as a bone. Does anyone have any good recipes for this?
Your use of "very" scares me into thinking this might not work well for you, but marinade some lamb in some combination of tahini, azuki bean paste, sesame oil, soy sauce, and cumin. Fry in a wok in chili oil. It will actually come out pretty dry if you don't drown it in marinade, but I'm not sure about VERY dry as you describe it. I also don't know the proportions of this dish, but I'm pretty sure I wrote it in order from most to least used ingredients.

I'm 98% sure this is not at all what you're looking for but it's similar (Middle Eastern influenced Chinese lamb dish), and I know it is awesome.

Grand Fromage posted:

Also not possible, I've looked for sherry for other things. They have a range of rice wines but I never used anything but Shaoxing when I lived in the US. I don't know what the differences are.
Shaoxing is dry like sherry. Michiu is basically cooking grade sake. Michiu literally translates to "rice spirit" but if you buy michiu at a Chinese market in America you're basically just gonna get a salty boozy substance. Good for cooking but I would never ever drink the supermarket stuff.

-----

Just made a Chinese-American staple for my Chinese roommate's parents (who are visiting from China): orange chicken. And they loved it! I'll post a recipe within the next week. I'm not sure of the proper way you're supposed to do this dish but I used a good amount of sczechuan peppercorn to complement the orange peels and spice, and the sauce was mostly just sugar, ground bean sauce, garlic chili paste, and tomato sauce.

ovanova fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

cernunnoswired posted:

Grand Fromage, where do you live in Korea? If you're in Seoul, there's an excellent Chinese grocery store in Cheonho that has it.

I'm on the other side of the country. I'm sure one of the bottles there was some kind of hwangju, going to try that if there's no specific go-to Chinese substitute for actual Shaoxing.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Gravity - tried your ma po tofu recipe last night and it was wonderful. My only problem was that it was a little too salty, i think with the sichuan vegetables, chili bean paste, black beans and soy it was just a bit too much. I used low sodium stock but is there any good way to reduce the saltiness. Should I have rinsed off the fermented black beans?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

FATWOLF posted:

Gravity - tried your ma po tofu recipe last night and it was wonderful. My only problem was that it was a little too salty, i think with the sichuan vegetables, chili bean paste, black beans and soy it was just a bit too much. I used low sodium stock but is there any good way to reduce the saltiness. Should I have rinsed off the fermented black beans?

You can try that. Honestly I usually make it that salty to eat with plain steamed rice and it evens out just right. Were you eating it plain?

Holding back on the soy or using less sichuan pickle would help, too.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

You can try that. Honestly I usually make it that salty to eat with plain steamed rice and it evens out just right. Were you eating it plain?

Holding back on the soy or using less sichuan pickle would help, too.

I did mix it up with plain rice which helped. I might eliminate the soy altogether next time and see if that does it. Thanks for the great recipe.

p.s. I used soft tofu and it turned out very nicely

p.p.s. thanks to this thread i've been introduced to the wonders of scowling lady crunchy chili oil. what amazing stuff!

large hands fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 7, 2012

telugu murasu
Jan 14, 2008
this is not tamil you pervert

Jeek posted:

Does it look like this or this? I can do a translation if necessary.

Thanks a lot - the one with fish sauce and lemon sounds about right. I feel like the ones I have seen have been in a sort of curry, but I wouldn't know where to start on that.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I made dinner the other night and tried to make Kung Pao Chicken. I had a pretty simplistic recipe bookmarked because I thought it looked easy enough to whip up in 15 minutes when feeling lazy. I was lazily prepping everything when I realized the kosher chicken thighs I had bought that day were funky-old so I had to rapidly re-plan my meal before guests arrived (I don't think on my feet well normally, let alone in relation to cooking). I quickly defrosted some frozen tuna steaks (which I chopped into ~.5" cubes) I had lying around and continued where I left off. Then I realized that the recipe was only easy because it was boring as all hell. I tossed in some shaoxing wine, dark sweet soy sauce, increased the peppercorns, almost tripled the chiles, and added some sliced celery (don't care if it's authentic, it's what I'm used to).

It was actually quite good; the tuna was thankfully tender and you can't go wrong with ginger, garlic, and soy. Still, the chiles (de arbol) didn't really add much heat to the dish as a whole unless you at them. I gladly devoured the peppers of my squeamish dinner mates. Also, the peppercorns didn't really add much numbing power and they were really drat crunchy. I even toasted and ground them which I thought would help. Maybe I just need to add more and grind finer? There is a place near me that does an awesome firery-numbing version but I'd like to be able to make it at home. Anyone have any tips for doing it better or maybe just a link to a recipe?

I found this recipe after I started posted and that seems like a much better starting point. I think it's key that they fry the peppercorns and chiles in oil; I'm sure that incorporates the flavors better...

pogothemonkey0 fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jul 7, 2012

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

Every time I use sichuan peppercorns in a dish, they feel gritty under my teeth, like sand in a badly rinsed salad.

I went to dinner at an awesome chinese restaurant recently, and ate hot pot and salads with lots of sichuan peppercorns, and they didn't feel like that at all..

What am I doing wrong?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

eine dose socken posted:

Every time I use sichuan peppercorns in a dish, they feel gritty under my teeth, like sand in a badly rinsed salad.

I went to dinner at an awesome chinese restaurant recently, and ate hot pot and salads with lots of sichuan peppercorns, and they didn't feel like that at all..

What am I doing wrong?

You're leaving the shiny black seeds in and grinding them with the rest of the seed coat. You don't want the stems, and you don't want the shiny black seed, just the fruit part.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I assume the "seed coat" is the "fruit" then? Because I can only identify those components. That recipe I posted earlier calls for 1/4 cup of peppercorns. How can you sift through all without wasting a ton of time? The stems seem easy but the little black seeds (which I am betting are the problem) are pretty darn tiny...

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

pogothemonkey0 posted:

I assume the "seed coat" is the "fruit" then? Because I can only identify those components. That recipe I posted earlier calls for 1/4 cup of peppercorns. How can you sift through all without wasting a ton of time? The stems seem easy but the little black seeds (which I am betting are the problem) are pretty darn tiny...

You can lightly crush them and the fruit part will fall off and the black seeds will be easier to pick out. Next time buy better quality peppercorns. The better quality ones will have the seeds already removed.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

You can lightly crush them and the fruit part will fall off and the black seeds will be easier to pick out. Next time buy better quality peppercorns. The better quality ones will have the seeds already removed.

Th bag I have seems to have hardly any seeds, the pods are almost all popped open and empty

Zoltan
May 12, 2001

I use one of these for wok cooking:

http://www.amazon.com/Eastman-Outdoors-Big-Kahuna-Burner/dp/B0000CAQ0R/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

It probably does not get as hot as what the restaurants use, but it is better than anything you can do on a stove top. There is even a wok kit for it.

ovanova
Feb 27, 2012

pogothemonkey0 posted:

I made dinner the other night and tried to make Kung Pao Chicken. I had a pretty simplistic recipe bookmarked because I thought it looked easy enough to whip up in 15 minutes when feeling lazy. I was lazily prepping everything when I realized the kosher chicken thighs I had bought that day were funky-old so I had to rapidly re-plan my meal before guests arrived (I don't think on my feet well normally, let alone in relation to cooking). I quickly defrosted some frozen tuna steaks (which I chopped into ~.5" cubes) I had lying around and continued where I left off. Then I realized that the recipe was only easy because it was boring as all hell. I tossed in some shaoxing wine, dark sweet soy sauce, increased the peppercorns, almost tripled the chiles, and added some sliced celery (don't care if it's authentic, it's what I'm used to).

It was actually quite good; the tuna was thankfully tender and you can't go wrong with ginger, garlic, and soy. Still, the chiles (de arbol) didn't really add much heat to the dish as a whole unless you at them. I gladly devoured the peppers of my squeamish dinner mates. Also, the peppercorns didn't really add much numbing power and they were really drat crunchy. I even toasted and ground them which I thought would help. Maybe I just need to add more and grind finer? There is a place near me that does an awesome firery-numbing version but I'd like to be able to make it at home. Anyone have any tips for doing it better or maybe just a link to a recipe?

I found this recipe after I started posted and that seems like a much better starting point. I think it's key that they fry the peppercorns and chiles in oil; I'm sure that incorporates the flavors better...
The first recipe sucks. Not only is there no heat but the sauce is exceptionally ordinary and boring.

The second recipe looks pretty good. I would beef up the sauce with a tablespoon of chicken stock, a teaspoon of sugar, and an extra tablespoon of soy sauce. I would also dredge the chicken in flour/cornstarch/breadcrumbs and deep fry it. Other than deep frying being unhealthily delicious, coated chicken actually tends to hold the sauce a lot better so you might need to make a bit more sauce. Also I would finish off the dish with a beautifully fragrant half tableapoon of sesame oil

I posted a recipe a little back in this thread. Don't be fooled by the awful cell phone camera pic; if you do it right it has a beautiful, shimmery brown texture. The secret to it, and I suspect to many really successful American interpretations of Chinese chicken dishes, is deep frying. I'm pretty sure it's not "authentic" at all, but gently caress me if it isn't delicious. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3401971&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=12

ovanova fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 7, 2012

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

That's a pretty nice looking recipe. I think I might take the dredge and chicken stock additions but it looks daunting to me still. I'm confident enough when I'm excited to make a new recipe, but my goal with this is having something that I feel I can spit out without any thought. I guess that just takes familiarity and practice though.

I'm trying to decide if I would prefer green onions or leeks... I used dark sweet soy for some sweetness instead of sugar or oyster sauce (which I generally find unpleasant). I have some dried birds eye chiles in the mail and I'm exicted to try this again using them. Knowing me, it will be inedibly spicy and I will love every face-melting bite.

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

FATWOLF posted:

Th bag I have seems to have hardly any seeds, the pods are almost all popped open and empty

Thanks, I thought that I might have bought the wrong or too cheap brand stuff.
Mine is like half seeds..

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
One thing I love from Chinese restaurants is King Do (I think - GIS seems to agree with me) chopped spare ribs - the ones coated in a deep red sticky, sweet sauce. Impossible to eat in a classy way, but delicious (and you end up covered in sauce, which is always a sign of a good meal). Does anyone have a recipe?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
You can fry up your peppercorns in oil and then run the oil through a strainer to retain all your numbing goodness without having stems and seeds in your food.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

NLJP posted:

By the way guys, in case you haven't seen it there's a food show making a stir in China at the moment called A bite of China, some of which is now on youtube apparently.

It's really good and, unusually for chinese official TV, really emphasises different ethnicities, subcultures and histories:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRHNa9qdtlw

The subtitles are real ropey but the show is excellent. I especially love that they foley guys appear to have had a real good time.

edit: later episodes have more on the actual processes of cooking and preparation

This is really great. I've watched two so far and they're really well done. The subtitles aren't that bad for anyone used to speaking to non native english speakers. Want dat Qishan Shao Zi Mian.

ovanova
Feb 27, 2012

bamhand posted:

You can fry up your peppercorns in oil and then run the oil through a strainer to retain all your numbing goodness without having stems and seeds in your food.
I'll have to try that. Thanks!

On the topic of doing things with oil, does anyone bother making their own chili oil? Just curious. I know restaurants usually make their own (I saw it being done and I freaked out because I couldn't figure out why it looked like it was boiling; turns out the chef put ginger in it). I have a $2 jar of the poo poo in my fridge and it'll probably last me a year so I don't see a point really, but I'm sure fresh chili oil is amazing.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
My inlaws make their own chili oil for their restaurant. Dad(inlaw) grinds up a pile of chili peppers and uses a giant wok full of oil. He has to do it after hours because it makes everyone's eyes water.

I watched the staple foods episode of A Bite of China. The whole episode made me a little homesick but the part about making shui jiao jolted a long forgotten memory out of me. When the holidays came around, all our relatives and neighbors got together to make massive amounts of dumplings. There's a term in Chinese called "rènào" that I have never found a satisfactory English translation for. It means things like busy, crowded, populous, noisy, exciting, lively, and energetic. When the voice over described the motion of the dumplings boiling and bubbling in the water as rènào, it brought back a ton of memories of running around as a little kid while the grownups were all gathered in one apartment making a feast for New Year's Eve. I could taste the dumplings and the black vinegar dipping sauce and the sharp bite of raw garlic clove one of my uncles tricked me into eating.

Charmmi fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 9, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Crosspost from dinner thread.

After watching the "Staples" episode of the documentary NLJP watched, I got a craving for the Qishan Sao Zi Mian. This was interesting for me because I have never had the dish before, so this is seat of my pants cooking not knowing what the final dish should taste like. Did some googling but couldn't find a concrete recipe. I did find this method though: http://www.chinauniquetour.com/html/2009326/arts-5695.html

quote:

Raw materials:

Noodles, carrots, tofu, ginger, agaric, garlic sprouts, garlic, refined salt, monosodium glutamate, potato, mashed meat, vinegar, five spices powder

So I made a few substitutions on my end with things I had, as I didn't feel like going out to the market for a first draft at a recipe. Subbed shiitake for agaric, scallions for garlic sprouts (scapes, I'm assuming). No Potato or Tofu. Thinly sliced pork for mashed meat. And made my own five spice because I have the components but I never have the preground stuff. I also used Chinkiang vinegar because they didn't specify what vinegar.

Missing from the list but mentioned elsewhere in the "recipe" or on other sites talking about the dish were eggs, woodears, and chile flakes. I omitted egg as it didn't look like it was poached or hard boiled and I couldn't see the texture of it in any pictures of the dish. I used korean chile flakes (gochugaru). I added bok choy because, well, I have a lot of it and need to use it up.

Qishan Saozi Mian by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

I think I went overboard with the chile flakes, it was quite spicy. Also I think next time I will try white vinegar. The chinkiang was good but in the quantities I had to use to get the sourness I was after, the other flavors in Chinkiang were quite strong.

Anyone have a recipe for this dish or anyone who's had the dish have any comments?

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
^^^That looks really good!

Charmmi posted:

My inlaws make their own chili oil for their restaurant. Dad(inlaw) grinds up a pile of chili peppers and uses a giant wok full of oil. He has to do it after hours because it makes everyone's eyes water.

I watched the staple foods episode of A Bite of China. The whole episode made me a little homesick but the part about making shui jiao jolted a long forgotten memory out of me. When the holidays came around, all our relatives and neighbors got together to make massive amounts of dumplings. There's a term in Chinese called "rènào" that I have never found a satisfactory English translation for. It means things like busy, crowded, populous, noisy, exciting, lively, and energetic. When the voice over described the motion of the dumplings boiling and bubbling in the water as rènào, it brought back a ton of memories of running around as a little kid while the grownups were all gathered in one apartment making a feast for New Year's Eve. I could taste the dumplings and the black vinegar dipping sauce and the sharp bite of raw garlic clove one of my uncles tricked me into eating.

Having been the guest of a Chinese family making shui jiao/sue gow you are making me want to go out and buy everything to make it right this minute. You also made me very hungry. Dumplings are the greatest.

P.S. For anyone in the SF Bay Area, Kingdom of Dumpling on Taravel in the Sunset is pretty darn good and very cheap. Also just a couple blocks from Marco Polo gelato which has incredible durian, lychee, and other Southeast asian fruit flavors.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

AriTheDog posted:

P.S. For anyone in the SF Bay Area, Kingdom of Dumpling on Taravel in the Sunset is pretty darn good and very cheap. Also just a couple blocks from Marco Polo gelato which has incredible durian, lychee, and other Southeast asian fruit flavors.

Kingdom of Dumpling is great. Tiny, yes, but truly great. Also I went to Shanghai Dumpling King on Balboa last night for dinner and that place is also really good, the spicy pork and chive dumplings were great.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

GrAviTy84 posted:

Anyone have a recipe for this dish or anyone who's had the dish have any comments?

Here is a recipe that seems legit (the blogger claims to be from Qishan). He includes egg (cooked to something like omelette skin before diced), daylily sprout and woodear in his version. The garlic sprout is cut in a special manner as well - it is sliced open lengthwise before diced.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Jeek posted:

Here is a recipe that seems legit (the blogger claims to be from Qishan). He includes egg (cooked to something like omelette skin before diced), daylily sprout and woodear in his version. The garlic sprout is cut in a special manner as well - it is sliced open lengthwise before diced.

Awesome, thanks!

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

enuma elish posted:

Kingdom of Dumpling is great. Tiny, yes, but truly great. Also I went to Shanghai Dumpling King on Balboa last night for dinner and that place is also really good, the spicy pork and chive dumplings were great.

Oh, I might have to try that. This is a long shot, but can any of you recommend a Hong Kong dessert place? Preferably stuff involving fresh fruit and ices and jellies and coconut milk and whatnot.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

AriTheDog posted:

This is a long shot, but can any of you recommend a Hong Kong dessert place? Preferably stuff involving fresh fruit and ices and jellies and coconut milk and whatnot.
The problem of recommending a dessert place in Hong Kong is that there are far too many of them. Which district will you be staying in?

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Jeek posted:

The problem of recommending a dessert place in Hong Kong is that there are far too many of them. Which district will you be staying in?

Sorry I wasn't more clear, I meant a Hong Kong style dessert place in the SF Bay Area. That said, if you have some favorites in Hong Kong proper I'd love to hear about them, I'm sure I'll go back at some point.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
There's like a billion HK style desert places in the Sunset and Richmond. I can't recommend any in particular but there's one on 22nd and Taraval, bunch around Irving and 19th, bunch on Clement, probably some on Geary. Just look around.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Golden Gate Bakery, specifically for their egg tarts are the first thing that comes to mind, but yeah, you can't go wrong with wandering and going to one with a long line out the front.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Golden Gate Bakery, specifically for their egg tarts are the first thing that comes to mind, but yeah, you can't go wrong with wandering and going to one with a long line out the front.

Yeah, Golden Gate is the one everybody knows about and the dan tat are fantastic. Some of the other items are pretty good too. I've heard there are a couple non-bakery dessert places in the Richmond district that I've been meaning to check out, I guess I'll report back when I do.

Genewiz
Nov 21, 2005
oh darling...
There is 100% Sweets Cafe on Clement that is pretty decent with their Snow Ice. Recently, I've taken a liking to Purple Kow for my boba. In Chinatown, Sweetheart Cafe does pretty good Hong
Kong style tea (they use condense milk).

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

I would love some inspiration for what to do with shaoxing wine. Flat mate left a big unopened bottle.

Vegetarian recipes a bonus, but not necessary.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Vlex posted:

I would love some inspiration for what to do with shaoxing wine. Flat mate left a big unopened bottle.

Vegetarian recipes a bonus, but not necessary.

Most Mapo Tofu recipes I've seen call for a little bit - only a few tablespoons or so, but you could make it with or without pork to make it vegetarian.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
While the Saozi Mian looks delicious, I'm having trouble deciphering the recipes that have been posted into workable english. I've tried looking it up myself but my sad, American monolinguism has made it difficult to find a good recipe. Can anybody point me to a good step by step guide (or even a video where they list all the ingredients?)

Worse come to worse I plan on winging it with what I can glean (assuming the basic ingredients and - to an extent - the cooking technique).

It will be spicy.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
For the benefit of English-only goons, here is a :effort: translation of the Saozi Mian recipe I posted earlier. I have linked to the original pages on the title and italicized words are my notes. Please laugh atcorrect any errors in the translation as necessary.

Saozi Mian
Ingredient: Chinese noodles (the fine ones), carrot, firm tofu, any vegetable you prefer, woodear, daylily sprout, garlic sprout, egg (optional), ginger
Seasoning: aged Chinese vinegar (the brown variety), salt, chicken powder, five spices powder
Instruction:
  1. Dice the tofu. Soak and cut the daylily sprout. Soak and dice the woodear.
  2. Beat the egg and fry it to a thin slice (it should look something like egg roll skins), then cut into small pieces.
  3. Split the garlic sprout lengthwise to thin strips with a needle or knife, then chop it finely into small pieces.
  4. Dice the vegetables and carrot and fry them with salt and chicken powder.
  5. Mince the ginger and add it to a hot, well-oiled wok. Add the five spices powder and fry to release the flavour, then add plenty of aged Chinese vinegar.
  6. When the mix boils, add boiled water and a bowl of Saozi. Flavour with salt and chicken powder. This is the soup for your noodles.
  7. Cook the noodles in another pot and cool the noodles with water after cooking.
  8. Add the fried vegetables and carrot, tofu, woodear, daylily sprout and egg to the soup and bring it to a boil. Add the garlic sprout after the soup boils.
  9. Place the noodles in a bowl and add the soup to the bowl.
Saozi
Ingredient: Pork (the picture uses belly), dried chili pepper, leek (the white portion), ginger
Seasoning: five spices powder, chili pepper powder, aged Chinese vinegar, salt
Instruction:
  1. Dice the pork and mince the ginger. Fry the pork and ginger in medium to low heat.
  2. When the oil in the wok clarifies, add five spices powder, leek and dried chili pepper.
  3. Once the pork absorbs the flavour of five spices powder, add aged Chinese vinegar liberally.
  4. Flavour with salt and chili pepper powder after the pork is cooked. Stir well before use.
Note:
The leg cut can be used for a leaner alternative. (It is supposed to be 后臀肉, but I don’t think you can find “rear butt” as a cut. :v:)
Water must not be added during cooking.
Add the chili pepper powder last to prevent it from being burnt.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Nice! I'll try this recipe out this weekend.

This is what I scored today for ingredients in my limited asian market (pork belly down bottom):

Are the dried, frilly fungi on the right woodears? Or close?

Also, I assume the small green globes are baby eggplant. I would really appreciate being corrected if I am wrong.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
The fungi on the right is indeed woodears (Pro tip: the similar-looking cloud ears do not have a whitish back like the ones here), and GIS suggests that the green globular fruits are indeed baby eggplants.

However, it seems that you bought rice vermecilli, which has a significantly different texture from the normal thin wheat noodles used in the recipe. For an analogy, it is like using udon in a recipe that calls for ramen.

It may ends up working fantastic though - I look forward to seeing the end product.

EDIT - By the way, the Chinese noodle place in my area give a variety of noodles to choose for any given dish. Is it the same case for western pasta restaurants?

Jeek fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Woah buck. I'm used to using rice noodles because the community up here definitely favors them (at least as far as I can see trying to buy dried noodles) but I'll easily believe both that they are not the appropriate noodles for this dish AND that I can probably find them here. I need to stock back up on light soy, so I'll take a look for thin wheat noodles when I'm there.

I would also, hypothetically, be interested in making my own noodles for the sake of authenticism. Just sayin'