Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

gooby on rails posted:

b) nowhere near as powerful as a real nuclear blast at the range shown in the movie would be.
The house and fridge in the movie were somewhat of a decent distance from the actual blast site in the movie, IIRC. The kinetic energy of the shock wave would drop with the square of the distance. With a decent amount of C4, trying to get its shock wave directional with some thick steel plate contraption, it could be applies semi-correctly to the fridge, if close enough. Since the movie world fridge was made up by a lot of lead, assuming it wouldn't rip apart at the hinges and rivets (which it would), it'd at least warp like gently caress.

Since the fridge gets simply ejected away in the movie, you could probably skip the actual mechanics of a huge forceful wind blast, that'll change direction at some point to fill the extreme low pressure zone at the blast site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
They could use the world's biggest chicken cannon with a fridge sabot!

I would watch the living poo poo out of that.

At the end of the last episode of Mythbusters, they showed the B team shooing the head off a zombie mannequin filled with meat guts. I don't ever remember seeing that before. Was it from a web extra?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something that's always bothered me about Mythbusters is how often they have to put duct tape over logos or whatever on their clothes. They really can't just make sure they wear stuff that's okay for television?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Well Deadliest Catch was finally redeemed today, Elliot got yelled at by the boat's owner over the phone :toot:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

smg77 posted:

I found this BBC series...don't know if it was the same one from the Science Channel but the DVD cover looks epic.

That is indeed an epic cover, it should be titled, "Dr.Grant Teaches You The Secrets of The Universe"
E: Though the end part of that subtitle depresses me. All these history and future of the universe shows depress me in knowing that this Earth is screwed and all our accomplishments will be utterly pointless.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While I didn't personally go see it, apparently the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago has a rather large Mythbusters exhibit. Lots of interactive myths like walking vs running in the rain and even dodge a bullet, although dodge a bullet is age restricted since they actually shoot at you with paintballs.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I hope that Jake and Josh get the Cornelia back next season and hire Freddie back from Keith.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I noticed that on last night's After the Catch Mike didn't talk to Elliott about getting his rear end reamed by the owner of the boat :laugh:

Marlex the Younger
May 22, 2008

All I've had today was like, six gummy bears and some Scotch.
That was drat sad timing on Tuesday's episode of Deadliest Catch, with its segment on Jake Anderson's missing father. According to the story, he was found only a mile away from where they filmed that scene.

Entertainment Weekly:
http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/07/02/deadliest-catch-jake-anderson-father-found/

Original news story:
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Human-remains-IDd-as-Anacortes-man-who-vanished-in-2010-160854895.html

Marlex the Younger fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jul 5, 2012

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

SteelAngel2000 posted:

I hope that Jake and Josh get the Cornelia back next season and hire Freddie back from Keith.
I do hope that Josh gets the boat and continues to be successful. I hope Jake goes to rehab and finds something other than crab fishing to keep him clean.

Also more "X Wars" shows is always better.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Oh God no, doesn't he remember how the whole hyperspace-thing worked out for him in Event Horizon? :gonk:

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Parks posted:

I do hope that Josh gets the boat and continues to be successful. I hope Jake goes to rehab and finds something other than crab fishing to keep him clean.

Do the Harris brothers still own part of the Cornellia Marie? The way they were talking on After the Catch it sounded like Josh was making plans to buy a different boat.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Dropbear posted:

Oh God no, doesn't he remember how the whole hyperspace-thing worked out for him in Event Horizon? :gonk:
Oh come on I bet it wasn't that ba..
http://imgur.com/lSnPf
:stare:
Maybe he should stick to be an insurance investigator nothing bad can come out of th...

God drat it Sam stick with Dinosaurs and being Merlin

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
just catching up on the latest Deadliest Catch, holy poo poo its good to see Elliott just loving getting dumped on. What an rear end in a top hat. His ex hates him SO much, haha.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Demon Of The Fall posted:

just catching up on the latest Deadliest Catch, holy poo poo its good to see Elliott just loving getting dumped on. What an rear end in a top hat. His ex hates him SO much, haha.

I felt like she was my proxy, Elliot is a complete rear end in a top hat. The best part was him ignoring his crew to talk on his phone.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Haha, Elliot's ex filed for a restraining order while he was actually hitting opies.

In After the Catch, he said she got it into her head that he was gonna abscond with the kids to Mexico, so it's entirely possible she's a bit crazy too (c'mon, they live in Homer, Alaska), but still. She was obviously pretty off-put by his visit and was keeping things light for the cameras (though, why she'd agree to them in the first place...)

Then Brady showed up on After the Catch and proceeded to be a monosyllabic douche trying to defend his actions. Keith rightly destroyed him.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I was getting a weirdly obsessive vibe from Elliot during the whole series. I dunno, I could see her being justified in thinking he would do something stupid (he's Elliot).

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I was getting a weirdly obsessive vibe from Elliot during the whole series. I dunno, I could see her being justified in thinking he would do something stupid (he's Elliot).
I missed the episode of Deadliest Catch where Elliot visits his kids. What exactly did he do?

And it doesn't surprise me at all that everyone's dumping on him now. gently caress, he's a 27-year-old former cocaine addict with an attitude problem, and he actually got hired to captain a boat?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Crazy Ted posted:

I missed the episode of Deadliest Catch where Elliot visits his kids. What exactly did he do?

And it doesn't surprise me at all that everyone's dumping on him now. gently caress, he's a 27-year-old former cocaine addict with an attitude problem, and he actually got hired to captain a boat?

He was trying to get back with his girlfriend, but all he did was make it worse by showing up in the first place. Going by the latest episode, I get the impression that Elliot was making a ton of money back when he was on deck and that's all he cared about. He admits that his girlfriend called him years back crying for Elliot to come home after being out for 10 months straight and he just said no.

The guy is a worthless poo poo who I genuinely wish misery upon. His family hates him, his crew hates him, the boat owner hates him, and it's all his fault to boot.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jul 13, 2012

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Crazy Ted posted:

There was something about the exchange

Elliot: "It's good to be home."
Ex: "This isn't your home."

that made my ears prick up. That and his constant calling her, and jeopardising his how-the-gently caress-did-he-get-that job by just abandoning the crew to fly home mid-season.

Also he's just so obviously a piece of poo poo from what we've seen on the programme and heard about from behind the scenes that I can see him being 'that' ex-boyfriend.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Why is the Discovery Channel trying to present a complete work of fiction about mermaids as an actual documentary? It's worse than Fox's Alien Autopsy.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

muscles like this? posted:

Something that's always bothered me about Mythbusters is how often they have to put duct tape over logos or whatever on their clothes. They really can't just make sure they wear stuff that's okay for television?

Other way around- anything taped over is being denied free advertising because they didn't want to pay Discovery for the privilege of being worn/used/drunk/etc on a popular TV show. Product placement is a double-edged sword.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

There was something about the exchange

Elliot: "It's good to be home."
Ex: "This isn't your home."

that made my ears prick up. That and his constant calling her, and jeopardising his how-the-gently caress-did-he-get-that job by just abandoning the crew to fly home mid-season.

Also he's just so obviously a piece of poo poo from what we've seen on the programme and heard about from behind the scenes that I can see him being 'that' ex-boyfriend.

That entire scene of him visiting his ex and kids was just cringeworthy. She so obviously didn't want him there and for the first half of his visit he was either completely oblivious about it or straight up ignoring it.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Important things I learned tonight:

• Elliott Neese called his ex 51 times in two and a half hours and couldn't figure out why that might be used against him to slap a Restraining Order on his rear end

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

gooby on rails posted:

Other way around- anything taped over is being denied free advertising because they didn't want to pay Discovery for the privilege of being worn/used/drunk/etc on a popular TV show. Product placement is a double-edged sword.

Some companies might object to their product being used in a way they don't like as well. Apparently there was a whole section about those teeth whitening kits you can buy in stores and how they're poo poo compared to pro cleaning but there was some legal bullshit and it never got aired.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Crazy Ted posted:

Important things I learned tonight:

• Elliott Neese called his ex 51 times in two and a half hours and couldn't figure out why that might be used against him to slap a Restraining Order on his rear end

I have no sympathy for that man.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
I haven't been watching After the Catch because it kind of grates on my nerves for some reason, but has it been established if Elliot still has a job?

The thing that was so crazy is the dude is just oblivious that his crew isn't his entourage. Being on that boat is a means to an end and after all these seasons it seems like the one sure message has been "Let's hurry our asses up and not sleep so we can GO HOME!"

Dude could've even let gear soak while he decided to go to Dutch to dial into his court appt, but no, that woulda taken some forethought which the guy obviously doesn't have.

Anyhow, it's just weird that a person has appeared that I like less than Keith Coburn.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
That bit was textbook "How not to handle yourself in a court case." It's hard to feel bad for Elliott given his behavior in the past episodes. I really hope he doesn't come back next year, I'm tired of seeing him and his boat. Cut him and give more time to Sig.

nictigre03
Oct 31, 2011
I can't imagine what Elliott's like on cocaine considering how he acts when he is sober. I wish the restraining order would put things into a bit of perspective for him about where he is and it might temporarily, but you can tell it probably won't wake him up in the long run and he'll keep acting like a dick.

Also, Jake Anderson on the Northwestern used to annoy the hell out of me but he really has grown up and come into his own while people like Jake Harris still don't get it.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

nictigre03 posted:

Also, Jake Anderson on the Northwestern used to annoy the hell out of me but he really has grown up and come into his own while people like Jake Harris still don't get it.

Jake Harris is still in "daddy will fix my fuckups" mode. He seems content on half-assing his job and taking advantage of the hospitality Sig and the rest of the crew are giving him.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

nictigre03 posted:

I'm convinced that a Josh Harris and Jake Anderson led boat would actually do fairly well. It's obvious that both of them are aiming for the captain's seat and will eventually get it. I never thought I'd think Josh would be a good captain but during Phil's death and thereafter he's been doing anything in his power to improve his abilities while his brother gets high and hopes it will happen.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Can't believe stupid Elliott left prime fishing to go into town and bear witness to a child custody hearing that he had no chance of winning. As soon as his ex dropped the number of times he called in two days and him showing up at her house, all he could say was "well uhh..." what a dummy. I don't know how his crew hasn't given up on him long ago.

And that flooded tank poo poo on the Northwestern was scary. They could have just been gone just like that. :stare:

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Spalec posted:

Some companies might object to their product being used in a way they don't like as well. Apparently there was a whole section about those teeth whitening kits you can buy in stores and how they're poo poo compared to pro cleaning but there was some legal bullshit and it never got aired.

The same thing happened when they did a section on the RFID chips, the Discovery lawyers sat them down and told them literally every credit card company was going to pull their sponsorship if they aired it :tinfoil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X034R3yzDhw

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
Why the hell did Elliot have to go into town to call on his iPhone? Why couldn't he have called on the satellite phone that he has no problems using to call his ex so often?

Also, gently caress shooting a shotgun a foot from someone's unsuspecting head. And WTF, shooting AT the ship? The crew of the Time Bandit loves their guns.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

Fire Storm posted:

Why the hell did Elliot have to go into town to call on his iPhone? Why couldn't he have called on the satellite phone that he has no problems using to call his ex so often?

I have the same question. Seriously, what the gently caress is wrong with this guy and why is he still running a boat? Does he not realize that Discovery is exploiting him for his stupidity and failure? And it is getting to the point where it isnt entertaining anymore. It is just annoying. I really hope Josh gets his own boat next season and they give Elliot the boot.

Fire Storm posted:

Also, gently caress shooting a shotgun a foot from someone's unsuspecting head. And WTF, shooting AT the ship? The crew of the Time Bandit loves their guns.

I used to hate the Hillstrands for being so goddamn happy and positive all the time, but it is moments like that that make me like them now. They are fun, if a bit reckless.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Firing a gun the way he was, on the deck of a ship covered in ice isn't a bit reckless. It's loving stupid. The man shouldn't be allowed to own firearms.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Firing a gun the way he was, on the deck of a ship covered in ice isn't a bit reckless. It's loving stupid. The man shouldn't be allowed to own firearms.

Yeah, I undersold it, it is stupid. But still it was entertaining. Fourtner was standing right by him, and he got a kick out of it. Do whatever you have to do to motivate your employees, and his employees are motivated by explosives and guns. This is the same crew that used a mortar to de-ice their crane, and broke their coiler in the process. Also, I like how Josh stands out of the way whenever they do something stupid, and comments on how stupid it is. Like I said earlier, he really should be running a boat.

Guy Compton
Mar 29, 2007

Here's some more piling on Elliot. I don't know if they mentioned this on the show, but at the end of the last crab season the Ramblin Rose got hit with a fine for undersized crab.

To be a little more fair to Elliot, I'm sure most of the blame could go to the crew on deck, but did Elliot really have no idea they were shoving that many undersized crab (5.5% -- the most that wildlife trooper had ever seen in an offload) in the tanks, especially when he seemed so desperate to get crab last year?

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Guy Compton posted:

Here's some more piling on Elliot. I don't know if they mentioned this on the show, but at the end of the last crab season the Ramblin Rose got hit with a fine for undersized crab.

To be a little more fair to Elliot, I'm sure most of the blame could go to the crew on deck, but did Elliot really have no idea they were shoving that many undersized crab (5.5% -- the most that wildlife trooper had ever seen in an offload) in the tanks, especially when he seemed so desperate to get crab last year?

That's really stupid of the crew. I swear in an earlier season they said that if there are fines for small crabs or too many females that the fine is deducted from the crew shares and not the boat's profit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Every crew member on the Wizard took home $151,000 for the Opilio crab season :psyduck:

I loved Keith's meltdown when he found out that the ice almost carried the Wizard into the beach while Monte was captaining it: "Happy loving Happy loving Happy loving Happy loving Happy loving Birthday to me!"

• Locked thread