Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

This is probably a stupid question, but I really got into punk rock as a teenager and then when I was 19 moved to a place without a scene and fell out of it (this being before ubiquitous broadband and I didn't have the ability to drive an hour there and back to go to shows). As such, I kind of fell out of the scene about 2003 and I've no idea what's current, and I recently realized I've not picked up any new punk rock since like 2004 or 2005. So... what's going on in punk rock right now?

The new Drug Church 7" is what's going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I think you mean the latest BtMI album

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah that one's pretty good too.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also the latest hosed Up album, the last two BtMI releases before Vacation, and then whatever everyone else says.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Spraynard and Direct Hit!: my two go-to pop punk bands for summer. Do it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I can't get in to hosed Up for some reason. They seem to get a weird amount of mainstream media attention, but they don't sound any different than the folks I used to see at shows back in the day. Can't figure it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dickeye posted:

Also the latest hosed Up album, the last two BtMI releases before Vacation, and then whatever everyone else says.

I actually like Adults!!! a lot more than Vacation. I mean, I think most of Vacation is pretty great, but I put it on at work the other night and really you could cut tracks 9-12 and I wouldn't mind one bit.

I don't really like hosed Up either.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

I can't get in to hosed Up for some reason. They seem to get a weird amount of mainstream media attention, but they don't sound any different than the folks I used to see at shows back in the day. Can't figure it.

I own David Comes To Life, which practically qualifies as a concept album, and I don't know if you can even really call it punk. It has some good songs, but even those could stand to be a little shorter. I still like that they're doing something different, though.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Pope Guilty posted:

David Comes to Life is a crazy punk/hardcore/badass music concept album that works on two levels: the basic level of "boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy learns to move on with his life" (which is how I will forever interpret it) and the crazy rear end level where the narrator is a character who arranged it and at the end goes back to the beginning of the story to replace the dude and yeah gently caress that level. The first four or five tracks, from Let Her Rest through Turn The Season, are basically my favorite long-rear end song ever, too. It's head and shoulders above everything else they've ever done.

Also one of the bonus singles they recorded to go with it has a track that explains the entire crazy plot, but starts out about how they got together at the mall and had fries and shakes and sat down to write the album. I'm serious, "I had a shake" is actually a line.

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I actually like Adults!!! a lot more than Vacation. I mean, I think most of Vacation is pretty great, but I put it on at work the other night and really you could cut tracks 9-12 and I wouldn't mind one bit.

I don't really like hosed Up either.

Agreed about Adults!!! All Ages Shows through Sanawon: An incredible triple header.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

What?! "Felt Just Like Vacation" is loving awesome.

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009
/\/\ FJLV is #13 :ssh:

Parachute Underwear posted:

Spraynard and Direct Hit!: my two go-to pop punk bands for summer. Do it.

Yup, add Joyce Manor or Mixtapes depending on how you're feeling.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

LCQC posted:

/\/\ FJLV is #13 :ssh:
I was looking right at the tracklisting when I posted that too. :saddowns:

I do like Savers, but I won't really go out of my way to defend it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I liked Direct Hit way better when their poo poo was horribly produced. That said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9EoUnO_iAU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Inspector_71 posted:

I was looking right at the tracklisting when I posted that too. :saddowns:

I do like Savers, but I won't really go out of my way to defend it.

Yeah that's about how I feel about both Savers and Everyone That You Love. Can't Complain is the only song that I actively dislike, but I just think the album's too long and tracks 9-12 are the most disposable.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Pope Guilty posted:

Dudes above already covered David Comes To Life, but if that's all you've listened to, The Chemistry of Common Life is way less straightforward and, in my opinion, more interesting for what it is. This is the weirdest comparison ever but its scope kind of reminds me of Lifted by Bright Eyes in that you can hear all throughout the record that the band had this vague but driving desire for this huge and thoughtful sound. The production/mixing is loving sick and there's so much layered and crammed into each song that it just sounds monumental. It has some slow spots (a couple instrumentals which I think could maybe be cut down) but otherwise there's a cool ebb-and-flow to the songs, and it's just wicked to me that a pretty mature and unpretentious album about spirituality and the search for personal meaning was written by a punk band called hosed Up

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Not really punk, but every punk kid I know loves the new emo stuff out of Algernon Cadwallader and Snowing. For more punk, check out The Menzingers and Iron Chic. Hell, just download everything you can from If You Make It.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
This thread always reminds me how little I know about punk..........or at least how out of touch I am with it, literally the only band I've heard of in the past page or so is hosed Up.

Incidentally, anyone know any good horror punk? I love the misfits and struggle to find anything that measures up...

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Nim vind might qualify.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I know this goes for most bands but hosed Up really puts on a great live show and I wasn't a huge fan of theirs until I saw them live.

Gaz2k21 posted:

This thread always reminds me how little I know about punk..........or at least how out of touch I am with it, literally the only band I've heard of in the past page or so is hosed Up.

Incidentally, anyone know any good horror punk? I love the misfits and struggle to find anything that measures up...

Night Birds!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Gaz2k21 posted:

Blitzkid, Zombina & The Skeletones.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

alg posted:

I know this goes for most bands but hosed Up really puts on a great live show and I wasn't a huge fan of theirs until I saw them live.

It drives me nuts that the chances of me seeing them live are slim to none. At least Pitchfork has that concert where they played David Comes to Life front to back online.

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation

alg posted:

Night Birds!

Night Birds aren't horror punk at all

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

answersyouseek posted:

Night Birds aren't horror punk at all

hey sorry I'm not good at genres I didn't know it was pretty much just Misfits type stuff

http://toxicbreedsfunhouse.blogspot.com/2012/06/low-sky-how-to-kiss-ep.html

new EP from Low Sky, members of Brave Young in a hardcore band. Pretty awesome stuff, DL approved by their label Headfirst Records. Pre-order here: http://www.page63.com/store/

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Schremp Howard posted:

Not really punk, but every punk kid I know loves the new emo stuff out of Algernon Cadwallader and Snowing.

Along similar lines, I seriously cannot stop listening to the new You Blew It!, Dads, and Dikembe albums.

Some of the best poo poo I've heard in a while.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

LCQC posted:

Yup, add Joyce Manor or Mixtapes depending on how you're feeling.

I dig the new Mixtapes album.

A related question: what are some of the better record labels in punk right now? Are there are that pretty much put out quality releases each time out? Any particular standouts? Looking to find some stuff to play on my radio show (college station) and figured this was as good of a place as any to find ideas.

Yad Rock
Mar 1, 2005
Just listen to White Lung they're the best punk thing going now and if you don't agree i will fight u

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PoQhaNiXvg

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Kim Jong-Deal posted:

Just listen to White Lung they're the best punk thing going now and if you don't agree i will fight u

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Kim Jong-Deal posted:

this is really good.

Also yes, You Blew It! rule.

edit: the new Pianos/Saddest Landscape split is also ridiculous

Crumbletron fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 13, 2012

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kim Jong-Deal posted:

White Lung is really good, I'm glad this thread told me to listen to them.

AbrahamBurgers
Aug 30, 2007

It's like people only do things because they get paid

alg posted:

http://toxicbreedsfunhouse.blogspot.com/2012/06/low-sky-how-to-kiss-ep.html

new EP from Low Sky, members of Brave Young in a hardcore band. Pretty awesome stuff, DL approved by their label Headfirst Records. Pre-order here: http://www.page63.com/store/

This is so good. I wish more heavy music sounded like this.

Still have never been able to get into Braveyoung, though.

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

nasboat posted:

Yeah I like it a bunch too, theres just nothing to say about it, cause its exactly what you expect it to be, for good or ill.

VVV Honestly, pretty terrible.

LCQC fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jul 13, 2012

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Some melodic punk that takes me right back to my teenage years is about to drop from Anchors, a local Australian band.
Worth giving the song on this page a listen.
http://lostatthebottomoftheworld.com/

Paracausal fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 13, 2012

alg
Mar 14, 2007

AbrahamBurgers posted:

This is so good. I wish more heavy music sounded like this.

Still have never been able to get into Braveyoung, though.

Make sure you check out their previous EP (again kewl w/ label):

http://www.mediafire.com/?5872anaq704sc53

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kim Jong-Deal posted:

Owns.

Bulletproof Tiger
Nov 2, 2010
So, does anyone have any idea what happened with Riot Fest East? I was kinda wondering if something was up after they wouldn't release who was playing the second 2 days, but they suddenly just said "Whoops, sorry, cancelled" a week before the fest. I was looking forward to seeing boysetsfire and Refused.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
Just a bit of blatant self-promotion, but a few months ago I posted a demo from my new band Civil Warmth. Someone over at Alternative Press liked it enough and now you can find it in this month's issue in the AP&R up and coming artist section. So that's pretty cool. I'm writing the full-length now.
http://civilwarmth.tumblr.com/

Additionally I play in this BTMI! side project called Binary Heart, and our new EP dropped today. Definitely for fans of Smoking Popes/Get Up Kids/Alkaline Trio-esque stuff.
http://quoteunquoterecords.com/qur055.htm

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I'm not sure if it counts as 'punk' anymore, but the new Gaslight Anthem album is streaming: http://www.npr.org/2012/07/10/156551726/first-listen-the-gaslight-anthem-handwritten

I love it, obviously.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

nasboat posted:

A related question: what are some of the better record labels in punk right now? Are there are that pretty much put out quality releases each time out? Any particular standouts? Looking to find some stuff to play on my radio show (college station) and figured this was as good of a place as any to find ideas.

I've been listening to a lot of Tiny Engines stuff recently. They tend to have really good, if not entirely traditional stuff that they put out. Restorations in particular are great.

Paper + and Plastik are pretty great about Pop Punk too.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

ChiaPetOutletStore posted:

I've been listening to a lot of Tiny Engines stuff recently. They tend to have really good, if not entirely traditional stuff that they put out. Restorations in particular are great.

Restorations are touring with The Smith Street Band soon, so I'll see them. I need to check them out.

I missed seeing Ceremony play at a local record store last week because it filled up too quickly. They're great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Count Chocula posted:

Restorations are touring with The Smith Street Band soon, so I'll see them. I need to check them out.

I missed seeing Ceremony play at a local record store last week because it filled up too quickly. They're great.

That would be a great show, Restorations makes really cool, interesting music, and I hope they make it up to Toronto soon.