Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KSAF Staff Report
Dec 5, 2011

#acolyte faggot Hall of Fame
Ask me about trying to get published by The Black Library in between the minutes of Traffic Court reporting. Also ask me about having a game survival rate worse than the Infant Mortality Rate of Afghanistan

idonotlikepeas posted:

How far we've come.

And the latest:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=1061

E: removed last image due to a PM about maybe sending more traffic to Tom's site.

I am glad he made that switch. The only reason I got past the art of the first few was because of the well-developed love goons had for it and I figured it became either horrible or wonderful.

Fortunately it was the latter.

EDIT: Isn't she 14 now? Or thereabouts? I'm not used to the year system, so I don't know what age range she is in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

KSAF Staff Report posted:

I am glad he made that switch. The only reason I got past the art of the first few was because of the well-developed love goons had for it and I figured it became either horrible or wonderful.

He was noting Ysengrin's attitude towards Annie. However, funnily enough I never really had a problem with the art. It was a pretty unique style so it kinda intrigued me.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Reading those pages again, I'm willing to put up 50 imaginary Goonbux that Kat is trying to turn robot into an android that could pass for human.

Also Kat's parents are adorable :3:

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Fighting Trousers posted:

Personally, I'd rather have Annie's totally sweet cropped jacket. (Is it wrong that I'm coveting a 12 year old's wardrobe?)
I admit to buying a jacket entirely because it looked like those sweet trenches the girls wear in Power Station. Now all I need is one of those kickin' hats.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

KSAF Staff Report posted:

Fortunately it was the latter.

EDIT: Isn't she 14 now? Or thereabouts? I'm not used to the year system, so I don't know what age range she is in.

I'll be honest, I'm not sure I wouldn't have just not given the thing a try if I only knew the first page.

If Gunnerkrigg is Junior High/Highschool, Annie should've started at around 12, and I think she's on her third year now so she should be around 15.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
I don't think I'll ever grow tired of seeing ethereal Ysengrin. So pretty looking. Also, he's really warmed up to her a lot more than I thought.

This chapter isn't going to end well is it. :ohdear:

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
What are you talking about they are going to have a tea party and then annie is going to brush Ysengrin's fur

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I don't know. We haven't seen the bad side of Coyote yet, really, and I'm hoping that trend continues. I also don't recall Annie doing anything silly that would piss Coyote off since the last forest outing, unless "showing her classmates Coyote's tooth" counts.

Maybe we can catch up on what she learned about Smith while she was in the forest? :allears:

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

OriginalPseudonym posted:

I don't know. We haven't seen the bad side of Coyote yet, really, and I'm hoping that trend continues. I also don't recall Annie doing anything silly that would piss Coyote off since the last forest outing, unless "showing her classmates Coyote's tooth" counts.
I mean, related to both points, he held her hand at knifepoint all summer telling her not to talk to the forest people about his tooth. That's definitely a bad side of him, and we first saw it in relation to his tooth. Maybe it's also related to his secret.
It's not like I wish doom upon Annie, but her being all smug and comfortable in the forest would make it all the more intense if something dangerous happened.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I don't think he's going to be nasty to her, but I do think he's going to ask her to do something re: the Court which she may find uncomfortable. Something to advance the Forest over the Court.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

It does seem like Annie is getting a bit too comfortable with Ysengrin (and the forest in general).

I wonder if she even remembers that he buried that Tic-toc in the forest however long ago. Hell, we still haven't found out what the deal was behind that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

I wonder if she even remembers that he buried that Tic-toc in the forest however long ago. Hell, we still haven't found out what the deal was behind that.

Maybe. I think he was providing an excuse for them to storm into the court all angry after it 'sprouted'.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

In the first panel he's licking her hand. :allears:

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

MikeJF posted:

Maybe. I think he was providing an excuse for them to storm into the court all angry after it 'sprouted'.

Yeah, this was always my take on it. Basically, some of the forest denizens who still have a beef with the court were looking for a good reason to approach them in an angry yet "diplomatic" manner. Whether the cause for this was an attempt to get some kind of concessions from the court, to "drop" the seeds in a ruse attack (via Ysengrin), or simply Coyote looking for a reason to return to the court and gauge how things have changed (and to meet their new medium?) isn't really apparent. Hell, Coyote and Ysengrin possibly planned all three at the same time, but I'm of the opinion that each sort of had their own plans. Like most, I'm thinking this chapter may reveal quite a bit more about this and some of Coyote's "other" motives.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I'm thinking this chapter is going to be the opposite of how the visits to the forest usually are. Coyote is going to be pissed at Annie for some reason and Ysengrin is going to defend her.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

That, or Jones will show up in the forest again, and then pretty much anything could happen. Either finding out more about what she is, or just increasing tensions between her and Coyote.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I agree that Annie should be 14 or 15 by this point in the timeline.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
I see Annie still has her cut.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

I agree that Annie should be 14 or 15 by this point in the timeline.

Good call:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_9 posted:

Year 9 pupils tend to be aged between 13–14 years old.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Oh man those two are friends. Just straight-up friends.

Was I the only one who momentarily thought Annie was wearing big, floppy wooden slippers in the last panel there?

KSAF Staff Report
Dec 5, 2011

#acolyte faggot Hall of Fame
Ask me about trying to get published by The Black Library in between the minutes of Traffic Court reporting. Also ask me about having a game survival rate worse than the Infant Mortality Rate of Afghanistan
I'm just waiting for when Coyote starts being, well, Coyote to Annie. This may be that time. So far he's been the kind trickster to her, but the Coyote I know and love (e.g. the mythological one) does not stay that way for long.
So far the worst it's been was "don't tell anyone I gave you my tooth for a sword or I'll cut your hand off." Compared to what he can do, that's not much.

I think Annie will have that cut whenever she's in any sort of "magic" setting as long as the spirit remains.

\/Which was apparently done by her father and broken by her friends. Annie's dad has a lot to answer for.

KSAF Staff Report fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 9, 2012

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
As Oxxidation said before, Coyote probably wants to ask her what the gently caress re: that giant pillar of bone that appeared in the sky a few days back.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

I have a bad feeling that something akin to what happened with Surma and Reynardine will occur.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?
Perhaps Coyote is going to ask why his sword was used on Shadow. I could see that being something he is interested in (and possibly laughing after the explaination)

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Brainamp posted:

I have a bad feeling that something akin to what happened with Surma and Reynardine will occur.

I personally can't see the story going this way myself. But at the same token, I can imagine Coyote would find it hilarious.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I know I said it last chapter too (and was totally wrong) but I feel like the Jeanne story is gonna get picked up in some way again. The Annan waters were made by Coyote and I'd be very surprised if we didn't get his/the forest's side of that matter at some point.

I can't wait to be wrong again! We get more Coyote and Tom's art has only improved since the last Coyote chapter.

ATP_Power fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 9, 2012

Micgael
Aug 8, 2007

"Gimme a kiss."

ATP_Power posted:

I know I said it last chapter too (and was totally wrong) but I feel like the Jeanne story is gonna get picked up in some way again. The Annan waters were made by Coyote and I'd be very surprised if we didn't get his/the forest's side of that matter at some point.

I can't wait to be wrong again! We get more Coyote and Tom's art has only improved since the last Coyote chapter.

I've always assumed Coyote is just using Annie to get Jeanne out of the water because that removes the Court's protection.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Fecha posted:

I mean, related to both points, he held her hand at knifepoint all summer telling her not to talk to the forest people about his tooth. That's definitely a bad side of him, and we first saw it in relation to his tooth. Maybe it's also related to his secret.
It's not like I wish doom upon Annie, but her being all smug and comfortable in the forest would make it all the more intense if something dangerous happened.

Shadow 2 is a Forest Person, isn't he?

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Micgael posted:

I've always assumed Coyote is just using Annie to get Jeanne out of the water because that removes the Court's protection.

I think you're seriously underestimating Coyote's powers if you think that if he wanted the court gone it could stand against him easily. He's probably amused as all hell by Annie and loves to play games/wants to seduce her away from the court. He's an amoral fun-loving trickster, not a scheming super-villain.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FriggenJ posted:

I think you're seriously underestimating Coyote's powers if you think that if he wanted the court gone it could stand against him easily.

Yeah, I get the impression that the 'leader' of the Forest faction and the one who'd do any war would be Ysengrin, and Coyote would just kinda watch. It's Ysengrin and his ilk they're guarding against.

Coyote hangs out with the Forest because he likes them and gets along with them better, and they all worship them, but doesn't care to actually lead.

That's just my guess for how things are, anyway. I could be proven totally wrong in a single page.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jul 10, 2012

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

FriggenJ posted:

I think you're seriously underestimating Coyote's powers if you think that if he wanted the court gone it could stand against him easily. He's probably amused as all hell by Annie and loves to play games/wants to seduce her away from the court. He's an amoral fun-loving trickster, not a scheming super-villain.

Even ancient god-like things are constrained ultimately by rules. That's why in stories Coyote doesn't just win every conflict and nuke everyone else. We've seen already several extents in which the powers of Coyote are *not* infinite.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
I kind of wonder if we're going to see Annie use the beacon Eglamore gave her way back in chapter 20 sometime soon:
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=482

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Coyote's not even from England.

He's an outsider in the forest, for all of his great power. The Woods, and by extension the Court, have been shaped around his presence. It's fair to say that any conflict he's involved in isn't going to be a matter of power, but of character. That's how Coyote myths always go: he can do anything, so what ends up limiting his caprice in the end is rarely a rival power, but his own vanity and impatience.

The reason why Coyote doesn't "just win every conflict and nuke everyone else" isn't because some outside force is preventing him, but because that's just no fun. What sort of conflict is he in that could be resolved with any amount of violence?

Dyllyn
Mar 28, 2009

Greatness is always within Reach
I guess you could place Coyote as Chaotic Neutral?

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!
I agree with the idea that Coyote wants to remove the Court's defenses, but not because he himself has any interest in destroying the court, but, because he has grown bored of the current stalemate of the war.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Well, we've seen multiple limitations on Coyote's powers:

Jones declared confidently that she can take Antimony away from him. This strongly suggests there are entities in this universe who can exceed Coyote in at least limited situations

We know that if Coyote gifts an ability to someone, then (a) it's flawed, and (b) he loses access to them himself

We know that Coyote is unable to compel Rey to return by force, and did not forsee him leaving.

It seems that Coyote is definitely not omniscient to events outside of the Woods, what with him not knowing that Surma was dead.

I think there is very little reason to conclude that Coyote is really satisfied with the present situation. The assertion that he can't be planning anything because if he wanted to, he can just roll over the Court is just silly because we've already had at least one plot development (the Rey backstory) based around Coyote wanting something and not getting it over a period of time.

I don't think Coyote is a super evil destroy the world type of figure. But there is a very obvious motivation for him in that it's hard to see a trickster god of chaos being truly satisfied with being cooped up in a single small forest, with a boundary he must not cross uninvited and 'protocols' for sending emissaries, for hundreds of years. I find it totally unbelievable such a situation can arise of his own will.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jul 10, 2012

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tom might be interested to hear that Kickstarter is going to begin operations in the UK.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Awwwww poo poo yeah

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Ahh come on Book two reprint. I'll even buy a second copy of book one and three if I can finally get number 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I visited the British natural history museum today and noticed a little plaque in their geology wing talking about the mineral stibnite:

quote:

Stibnite, a mineral so soft it can be bent and melted over a candle flame. Stibnite is the source of antimony which hardens and strengthens lead... in ancient Egypt and Rome both stibnite and antimony were ground and used as eye cosmetics - we now know both of them to be poisonous.

Probably has no major bearing on the characters, but it's a cool little touch of trivia.

Unless Coyote plans on grinding Annie up for eye shadow or making bullets with her, great secret indeed.

ATP_Power fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 10, 2012