Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Thank you! I just want to add that the only thing I don't like about my first Mac...is Windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Mountain Lion GM is up for devs!

C'mon release!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

How long was the wait between Lion GM hitting developer.apple.com and hitting the App Store for retail release? I don't remember.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Martytoof posted:

How long was the wait between Lion GM hitting developer.apple.com and hitting the App Store for retail release? I don't remember.
Almost 3 weeks.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Siracusa's got mountains of time then.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

DarkJC posted:

Siracusa's got mountains of time then.

I doubt he feels that way. I hope he has time to include all the extra sections and technical parts he wanted to write.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yeah, hope he gives us the lowdown on refinements to LLVM compilation, tweaking to OpenGL/CL and the like.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I just hope he can answer the most important question: Is it snappier?

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
The source code to the latest android has dropped tonight too. Good night for nerds, it seems.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I forget -- were there any changes between Lion's GM and final release?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Small White Dragon posted:

Nope. Same build. That's not to say any issues won't crop up in ML's GM seed, but the Developer Previews were feature complete for some time and the GM seems very solid.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Can you buy Mountain Lion on DVD? I only have a 50gb per month limit at the moment due to being a poor person.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Mug posted:

Can you buy Mountain Lion on DVD? I only have a 50gb per month limit at the moment due to being a poor person.

You can buy Lion on a thumb drive, so maybe they'll do the same for ML.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD256Z/A

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Mug posted:

Doubt it. Lion is only available outside of the app store on an overpriced usb stick. And if I recall that came out awhile after the download release.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Mug posted:

No, and I doubt the usb key will appear as with Lion. You can go to your local apple store and download it there, though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Small White Dragon posted:

No. Unless I'm severely mistaken the GM and Retail were both the same build number.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Starbucks wifi is going to be so overloaded on ML day :q:

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I thought I remembered Siracusa realizing some time after his review came out that some of the defaults were changed between GM and release on Lion. Maybe I'm misremembering though.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Experto Crede posted:

No, and I doubt the usb key will appear as with Lion. You can go to your local apple store and download it there, though.

I dont think we have Apple Stores. I'll just download it, I guess. Should be <5gb I hope.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I hate new OS releases so much. Once our Rails devs started switching over it was :argh: for the first couple months.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Daddy want now.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mug posted:

Should be <5gb I hope.

Yes. Not by much, but it will be under 5 (assuming it isn't changed radically between now and release, which there is no reason to believe will happen).

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Mug posted:

I dont think we have Apple Stores. I'll just download it, I guess. Should be <5gb I hope.

The DMG size of the GM is 4.7GB

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

And the app store download is 4.34GB.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
https://github.com/zwaldowski/DZAINotificationCenterPlugin

Anyone ever try this with Adium on Mountain Lion?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
If any of you are curious about compatibility with Mountain Lion, you might be happy to find this resource: http://roaringapps.com/apps:table

It's not 100% complete, but it's better than nothing.

edit: Could someone please recommend to me the best way to remove the location data from photos I import from my iPhone? I found PhotoStamper in the AppStore but It doesn't appear to handle multiple photos at once. I looked at Aperture, but the closet thing I found was the Automator 'Set IPTC Tags' action but that doesn't handle the GPS coordinates as far as I can see.

decypher fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 10, 2012

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
How do LaTeX installations translate between versions of OS X?

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?
Interesting, Twitter is available in the final version but Facebook isn't. I wonder why they left it out?

edit: okay, seems it's just me.. There's an option to add a Twitter account but no mention of facebook anywhere.. weird

edit: Helps if you actually download the facebook SDK from the developer page..

Gism0 fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 10, 2012

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Gism0 posted:

Interesting, Twitter is available in the final version but Facebook isn't. I wonder why they left it out?
Apple said during the keynote Facebook integration is coming later in the fall. I wouldn't host NDA-ed stuff if I were you.

massless
Feb 25, 2012

Montalvo posted:

How do LaTeX installations translate between versions of OS X?

Assuming you're using MacTeX / TeX Live, the recently released 2012 version supports 10.8. Once you have that, upgrading your OS shouldn't cause any problems, since TeX uses the same binaries whether you're on SL, Lion, or ML.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I can see why Apple is only charging :20bux: for Mountain Lion. If it cost any more it would be a bit of a tough sell, especially if you're not a heavy iOS user or have a Mac older than a 2011 model. To expand a bit, the iCloud integration is really nice and further enhances the symbiotic relationship between Macs and iPads/iPhones, but if you're an Android user then you really don't care about Reminders or Notes syncing.

In regards to the 2011 Mac stuff: you need a fairly new Mac if you want to use any of the nifty new features like PowerNap or AirPlay Mirroring. I assume Apple is using QuickSync (which is on Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge CPUs) for AirPlay Mirroring, but it would be nice if my 2010 iMac could do it at the expense of higher CPU usage. Here's hoping a .plist modification will make it possible without resorting to a complete third-party solution.

Oddly enough, the feature that seems most-overlooked by previews (and Apple doesn't mention it because it seems like admitting a mistake) is the return of proper Expose. There's now a checkbox in Mission Control's preferences that removes window grouping by application and basically shows you every window at once, like Expose used to be.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Truth. If you don't have a very new Mac it's just an update of a few minor things.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Oddly enough, the feature that seems most-overlooked by previews (and Apple doesn't mention it because it seems like admitting a mistake) is the return of proper Expose. There's now a checkbox in Mission Control's preferences that removes window grouping by application and basically shows you every window at once, like Expose used to be.

Why is that useful?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

Why is that useful?
Because a lot of people really hated Mission Control's new behavior compared to the Expose+Spaces workflow they were used to before.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

There's now a checkbox in Mission Control's preferences that removes window grouping by application and basically shows you every window at once, like Expose used to be.

:swoon: I am so drat happy about that.

I miss classic expose. I used it religiously.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

I can see why Apple is only charging :20bux: for Mountain Lion. If it cost any more it would be a bit of a tough sell, especially if you're not a heavy iOS user or have a Mac older than a 2011 model. To expand a bit, the iCloud integration is really nice and further enhances the symbiotic relationship between Macs and iPads/iPhones, but if you're an Android user then you really don't care about Reminders or Notes syncing.

In regards to the 2011 Mac stuff: you need a fairly new Mac if you want to use any of the nifty new features like PowerNap or AirPlay Mirroring. I assume Apple is using QuickSync (which is on Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge CPUs) for AirPlay Mirroring, but it would be nice if my 2010 iMac could do it at the expense of higher CPU usage. Here's hoping a .plist modification will make it possible without resorting to a complete third-party solution.

Too bad full screen is still useless on multi-monitor setups.

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

Tim you promised me full screen on any monitor, but not like this. Not like this...

Galg
Jun 5, 2004

How can I make this as complicated as possible?
drat, I guess I misread that fullscreen thing on Apple's Mountain Lion site.

So, now you can fullscreen on external monitors, but it still renders the other display useless? I can't understand at all why Apple chooses to do fullscreen this way, it makes absolutely no sense.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Mountain Lion is bringing iMessage to Macs, right? That's the feature I want most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Galg posted:

drat, I guess I misread that fullscreen thing on Apple's Mountain Lion site.

So, now you can fullscreen on external monitors, but it still renders the other display useless? I can't understand at all why Apple chooses to do fullscreen this way, it makes absolutely no sense.

Now you see why they allowed you to resize windows from any side!