Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Idea: End with Rick and co. settling down peacefully into the Hilltop in issue 100. Switch protagonists to a new character somewhere else in the world. Follow them for a year (12 issues, not in-universe time), they happen upon the Hilltop, it's loving ASH.

poo poo. We've got new characters, drama and mystery with the old ones you've grown attached to, and we can slowly re-introduce the survivors from the old-cast and eventually have that big 125th issue flashback that shows Carl getting finally slaughtered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Matt Cruea posted:

that big 125th issue flashback that shows Carl getting finally slaughtered.

You mean Carl's brain damage manifesting in a personality change where he slaughters everyone. But other than that, you're 100% correct.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.
Something to think about and it was touched on in the letters section. The survivors have been around just long enough to reach the end of expiration dates on canned food.

This means they need to actually consider farming and other ways of making the foodstuffs last.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Eh, those are Sell By dates aren't they? They've still got a bit more time before it gets truly inedible. I mean it's a problem that's looming on the horizon for sure, but I don't think I'd be too picky about slightly green ravioli if I was living in post-apocalyptia.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Lurdiak posted:

Eh, those are Sell By dates aren't they? They've still got a bit more time before it gets truly inedible. I mean it's a problem that's looming on the horizon for sure, but I don't think I'd be too picky about slightly green ravioli if I was living in post-apocalyptia.

I might be way wrong here but some poo poo lasts decades, recently polish restaurants were accused of using canned food from the cold war way past expiration date.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

Affi posted:

I might be way wrong here but some poo poo lasts decades, recently polish restaurants were accused of using canned food from the cold war way past expiration date.
That stuff may have less preservatives but I would think they have pretty much picked everything in the surrounding area dry by now.

Rick talks about it in issue 91 and it comes up in the letters section of issue 90.

I want to see how they deal with that and the surrounding communities since it becomes an important issue in terms of long-term viability.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I'm pretty sure the obvious/boring answer you're looking for is "farming".

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

fullroundaction posted:

I'm pretty sure the obvious/boring answer you're looking for is "farming".
where do you plan on getting seeds?

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

A seed store.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I'm no agriculturalist, but I'm pretty sure farming has been going on for longer than people have been able to go to Walmart and buy potting soil and starter seeds.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

fullroundaction posted:

I'm no agriculturalist, but I'm pretty sure farming has been going on for longer than people have been able to go to Walmart and buy potting soil and starter seeds.

Now you are talking about the complexities of farming, are there any seeds left? Seed stores are not on every block and those seeds have expiration dates.

Chances are they have not thought much about saving enough to ensure proper planting next season and some seeds need more attention than others.

At this point in time everything has been pretty much looted dry.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Orchards and most fields can survive unattended for some time. They won't be as prosperous without farmers, but I doubt looters were harvesting acres of crops when the zombies came.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

#98 and while me following this relies on this thread I went ahead and checked the preview pages on Conixology and welp :stare:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

moths posted:

Orchards and most fields can survive unattended for some time. They won't be as prosperous without farmers, but I doubt looters were harvesting acres of crops when the zombies came.

That's a funny mental image :roflolmao:

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

#98 and while me following this relies on this thread I went ahead and checked the preview pages on Conixology and welp :stare:

Been awhile since a major character's been off'ed, let alone completely out of nowhere.

It feels like he was talking a bit too long after getting an arrow through his head though.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

E the Shaggy posted:

Been awhile since a major character's been off'ed, let alone completely out of nowhere.
I would have rather seen any other major character go than the one that did. Possibly because I'm so sick of all the ones who are still with us and not really interested in their continued stories at this point.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Has anything even happened since they repelled the zombies from Washington DC town and two dudes in a truck were like "Time to start an insurrection... again!"

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Abe... :(

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Meme Emulator posted:

Has anything even happened since they repelled the zombies from Washington DC town and two dudes in a truck were like "Time to start an insurrection... again!"
They met kickboxing Jesus and seem to have inserted themselves into the middle of a war between two other communities? Or possibly one other community and a band of well organized raiders (who are hopefully all going to be Batman-villain themed).

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The sound effect comes like four panels after the shot. For me, Abe's death was overshadowed by deciphering what order the panels get read in.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

I thought it showed that he got hit by the arrow but carried on talking - sort of like a headless chicken running around

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I just re-read it, and somehow I missed the "THOKK!" in the panel when he gets shot.

I must have seen the big arrow-face, and then got confused in the next pane where there's a "WHUDD!" and reaction.

It seems like we've seen two-face before, but that could just be consistency of character design.

Last-page psych-out? Check.

And the link on the back cover takes you to a countdown timer and some fluff. I couldn't yawn harder intentionally.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

So they're trotting out the Rick may die card for 100. Far be it for comic book covers to mislead, but if Rick makes it to the end of 100 they'll have a warehouse of unsold 101s.

Brain Aged
Feb 10, 2005

Bridle all this indiscretion, Long enough to edify. And permanently fill this hollow
Well, I don't know about you guys but Issue #99 was probably one of the most boring issues I have read to this point. I find that a bit odd, I would have expected something to pique my interest leading into #100.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
So did Rick see those guys up on the roof and left the compound to its fate? Wouldn't it be interesting if the Hilltop is now a pile of rubble? Whatcha gonna do now, Rick?!

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK

Brain Aged posted:

Well, I don't know about you guys but Issue #99 was probably one of the most boring issues I have read to this point. I find that a bit odd, I would have expected something to pique my interest leading into #100.

Really? I thought the cliffhanger was amazing. I have a feeling that Alexandria may be destroyed by the time Rick and co. come back. I mean, he took with him many of the core characters(Carl, Michonne, Glenn, Maggie, Sophia, Heath), but there's still enough left at Alexandria for it to hurt if they're all wiped out - Andrea obviously, but also Eugene, Denise, Aaron and Eric...

Whargoul
Dec 4, 2010

No, Babou, that was all sarcasm.
YES, ALL OF IT, YOU FOX-EARED ASSHOLE!

Koskinator posted:

Really? I thought the cliffhanger was amazing. I have a feeling that Alexandria may be destroyed by the time Rick and co. come back. I mean, he took with him many of the core characters(Carl, Michonne, Glenn, Maggie, Sophia, Heath), but there's still enough left at Alexandria for it to hurt if they're all wiped out - Andrea obviously, but also Eugene, Denise, Aaron and Eric...

I read a spoiler free review that says that issue 100 doesn't go back to Alexandria. Though the guy says it is violent as all hell, and heart wrenching. Looks like some, or all of the majors might die. My money is on Rick this time.

Put in a spoiler just in case.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
I'm betting on Andrea and Co..

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I'd really love like a break from The Walking Dead. Like have Issue 100 be the last for a while (year at most) and have it return and be something on a larger scale. Between the show and now TWO games, I think there's enough TWD.

Even if all these characters I've grown old of die, I still dunno what they can do to make it more interesting.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

foxatee posted:

I'm betting on Andrea and Co..

It looks like there's a confirming spoiler on the loving cover.

Andrea is lying in the pile of everyone who's died in Walking Dead. Could be someone else though, because :effort faces.

I just noticed the little baby arm poking out under Lori, though. :cry:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Comixology has a half off sale on all Walking Dead including all 3 omnibus which cover 1-99 so $81 for 3 omnibuses or $80 for 16 volumes (which cover 1-96). Then wait for volume 17 which should cover all of something to fear?

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jul 11, 2012

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Well as I expected Rick didn't die.

However it was brutal when Neegan killed Glenn. But Neegan just feels like Governor 2.0, and they left all the strong fighting characters so unless he has something really cool up his sleeve it it seems it will all end the same way.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

therealjon_ posted:

Well as I expected Rick didn't die.

However it was brutal when Neegan killed Glenn. But Neegan just feels like Governor 2.0, and they left all the strong fighting characters so unless he has something really cool up his sleeve it it seems it will all end the same way.

I figured Glen was going to die. They pretty much telegraphed it with the pregnancy and the whole "no really, when I get back things will be better!" speeches.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I won't spoiler it since it makes no sense without context, but the vampire bat line made me chuckle.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Neegan seems like a cool dude. Sucks about Glenn but he hasn't been doing anything lately so that's about the safest death we could have gotten and not really as strong as say Andrea, Carl, or even Rick himself would have been. I'm actually disappointed, I was really expecting a real game changer as far as characters and story but nope, we're still stuck with Rick and crew unless 101 begins with Andrea and everyone else back in town getting killed.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Kirkman needs to pull the trigger on killing Rick already. Man I was expecting Rick to die at the end of the Prison arc, and he's still around.

Poor Glenn though, Christ that was brutal.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Ugg went to go pick up todays issue, and the ups guy hadn't arrived yet. Guy told me that he would be there sometime past noon.

Whargoul
Dec 4, 2010

No, Babou, that was all sarcasm.
YES, ALL OF IT, YOU FOX-EARED ASSHOLE!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Neegan seems like a cool dude. Sucks about Glenn but he hasn't been doing anything lately so that's about the safest death we could have gotten and not really as strong as say Andrea, Carl, or even Rick himself would have been. I'm actually disappointed, I was really expecting a real game changer as far as characters and story but nope, we're still stuck with Rick and crew unless 101 begins with Andrea and everyone else back in town getting killed.

I agree 100% with this. I wanted a major change to happen, but even with Glen dead everything will go on as usual. I have no idea what Kirkman meant when he said it would be Rick's darkest hour. How can this be bigger than Lori, Shane, or Judith? This was just Tyrese part 2

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I do like Neegan, he's less flamboyant, and less of a carney than the Governor. He's more of a straight up cock-sure business man.

Although I wasn't expecting Rick's party to get attacked. I figured they were going to level the settlement and have Rick and company come back to nothing.

But the writing just seems obvious that they are going to use the week before Neegan's people come back to plan some attack.

Instead of being some big spectacle that shakes their world, a character died quite brutally then business as usual. That was a bit of a let down after the hype they put on this issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Ronson
Jun 18, 2004

Say.. that's a nice
hat.
Screw this issue. This was so completely underwhelming. I only hope they get back in the next issue to find half of the Hillside dead.

• Locked thread