Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago
Picked this up today for $1,900. 2007 Ninja, 7000 miles. Seller included an extra new front tire, tank bags, and the stock exhaust.

My dad picked it up for me near Cincinnati. I probably won't get it in my possession until late July, as he won't bring it up to Michigan until I complete my MSF class. Can't wait until then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Abe Froman posted:

Picked this up today for $1,900. 2007 Ninja, 7000 miles. Seller included an extra new front tire, tank bags, and the stock exhaust.

My dad picked it up for me near Cincinnati. I probably won't get it in my possession until late July, as he won't bring it up to Michigan until I complete my MSF class. Can't wait until then.

seems like a great deal, keep those wicked stickers on :hellyeah:

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

ADINSX posted:

I'm not sold on the flames yet, but I'll take your opinion under consideration!

I'm waiting on some non-Craigslist pictures from my dad, but he said it is very well-maintained and that the PO was meticulous with maintenance, so I'm happy about that. My dad has two Goldwings, but he liked the Ninja so much he said if I changed my mind, he'd keep it for himself. Not sure what a 66 y.o. man would look like on this bike.

Abe Froman fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 6, 2012

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Abe Froman posted:

I'm not sold on the flames yet, but I'll take your opinion under consideration!

I'm waiting on some non-Craigslist pictures from my dad, but he said it is very well-maintained and that the PO was meticulous with maintenance, so I'm happy about that. My dad has two Goldwings, but he liked the Ninja so much he said if I changed my mind, he'd keep it for himself.

I think part of third gen ninja's charm is that 80s flare, gotta rock it

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

For someone who's just starting out, are the CBR250R/Ninja 250R pretty much the two best choices? How much should I spend on my first bike? How long will I use it typically before I feel like I need something a bit bigger/beefier.

I'm really new to this stuff. :)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
A few weeks ago you all generally recommended an SV650 as my new combined highway/dirt commuter, and I have decided that it's really not quite "right". There's something about the proportions that don't quite fit me, and even with riser handlebars I'm not really feeling it in the dirt. So I've been looking at some other things, mostly new stuff (though if I can find used I much prefer that) and I've come down to 2 and a half bikes really. The two are the Triumph Scrambler and the new KLR650, while the half is the Aprilia Shiver. The Triumph fits me perfectly, and I like all the low end it has. The only thing I don't like is paying 10k for a commuter bike. The KLR is a really great tractor that I like a lot, and with a gel seat etc. it becomes just short enough for me to stand up on one foot at a stop, though the riding position itself is very comfortable. The Aprilia is REALLY comfortable, and the pricing is good, but I'm not very comfortable about the amount of fiddly computer nonsense on it, and I don't have any experience with Italian bikes, so it's a bit of a black hole.

So, thoughts on any of those three?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The KLR is by far the best value there, and best fitted to the usage scenario. The shiver is an italian sv, reasonably reliable, but I have seen some hinkey electric poo poo on them.

The scrambler is a nice bike, kinda expensive to be thrashing up a dirt road, but if you don't mind that, it could be a good choice.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

80 50! bucks will buy you a 1" lowering link for the KLR. You'll be stuck tackling, I don't know, 20% less gnarly trails, but if it helps you get more comfortable, I'd go for it.

http://www.happy-trail.com/KLR650/lowering-links-KLR650-08-up.aspx

80 will buy you 1.25" or 2".

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 7, 2012

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

ADINSX posted:

I'm digging the flames a lot more in these non-shade photographs. I think I'll keep 'em.

But my favorite picture of all is the one my dad took of the box the aftermarket exhaust came in. Dads can be funny, sometimes.

Abe Froman fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jul 7, 2012

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Silver is just the best color for these. Best of luck with the MSF. Stay hydrated, stay focused, and remember that it isn't a competition. Disregard the loudmouths, they'll be the first ones to get sent home.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

Grimes posted:

For someone who's just starting out, are the CBR250R/Ninja 250R pretty much the two best choices? How much should I spend on my first bike? How long will I use it typically before I feel like I need something bit bigger/beefier.

I'm really new to this stuff. :)

The GS500 and Ninja 500 are also a great choice in that range. You can generally find the GS for around $2k, give or take depending on location/season, and it has pretty good community support over at gstwins. I've had my GS about a year and am still happy with it for canyons, camping, and commuting.

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

Discomancer posted:

The GS500 and Ninja 500 are also a great choice in that range. You can generally find the GS for around $2k, give or take depending on location/season, and it has pretty good community support over at gstwins. I've had my GS about a year and am still happy with it for canyons, camping, and commuting.
Is 2k about the reasonable range for a first bike? I technically have enough cash for something that's 4-5k but then I would just be getting something low-powered brand new and it's probably unnecessary. Plus, I'd rather spend the money on lessons and better safety gear anyways.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Grimes posted:

I would just be getting something low-powered brand new and it's probably unnecessary. Plus, I'd rather spend the money on lessons and better safety gear anyways.

Good for you. If you drop something brand new (you will) or crash it, you'll feel like poo poo, but if it's already a little scratched and dinged it won't bother you that much. And lessons and good gear are definitely a good choice.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

Marv Hushman posted:

Silver is just the best color for these. Best of luck with the MSF. Stay hydrated, stay focused, and remember that it isn't a competition. Disregard the loudmouths, they'll be the first ones to get sent home.

Thanks for the advice/encouragement!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Grimes posted:

Is 2k about the reasonable range for a first bike? I technically have enough cash for something that's 4-5k but then I would just be getting something low-powered brand new and it's probably unnecessary. Plus, I'd rather spend the money on lessons and better safety gear anyways.

If you have a mechanically inclined friend or are mechanically inclined yourself, I'd go even cheaper - a friend of mine spent 700 bucks on a mid 80s GS650 and has been very happy with it. Burns oil and has other relative niggles that older bikes do, but has been great thus far.

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

Z3n posted:

If you have a mechanically inclined friend or are mechanically inclined yourself, I'd go even cheaper - a friend of mine spent 700 bucks on a mid 80s GS650 and has been very happy with it. Burns oil and has other relative niggles that older bikes do, but has been great thus far.
I'm good with my hands but I really don't have that much mechanical knowledge.

Most of the bikes I see on Craigslist are (seemingly) overpriced, but I guess that's because it's the season. There's literally no Ninja 250Rs below 3750 dollars of any year that I can see in my area. Like I said, I don't really know much about bikes so I don't know what to expect with this stuff. I'm in Canada FWIW.

EDIT: I was doing my search wrong. There's more stuff than I thought.

Grimes fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jul 8, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Grimes posted:

Most of the bikes I see on Craigslist are (seemingly) overpriced, but I guess that's because it's the season. There's literally no Ninja 250Rs below 3750 dollars of any year that I can see in my area. Like I said, I don't really know much about bikes so I don't know what to expect with this stuff. I'm in Canada FWIW.

Canada prices are higher, generally, so 2k is provably reasonable for a decent, mechanically sound starter bike.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Grimes posted:

I find Kijiji is way more popular that Craigs in most locations. Make sure you search there too.

Prices are all over the map. In general, the further east you go the more stupid prices are. BC, Alta and Sask are a little more reasonable.

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

slidebite posted:

I find Kijiji is way more popular that Craigs in most locations. Make sure you search there too.

Prices are all over the map. In general, the further east you go the more stupid prices are. BC, Alta and Sask are a little more reasonable.
Thanks, I'll have a look on Kijiji. I'm near Vancouver.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
So, I've had my '10 Ninja 250 for just over three months now and I've hit about 2800 miles of riding. I'm still quite slow on the twisty roads, but confident and careful on city streets and highway riding. I like the 250 quite a bit, but I've found that my legs aren't a huge fan of the (albeit relaxed) riding position. They start to fall asleep after just a few dozen miles of highway riding.

My riding buddy has a VSTROM and highly suggested the WEE-STROM. I sat on his bike and fell in love. While the DL1000 is a tad too big, the DL650 sits a bit lower and is, as I've heard, a smaller bike overall. I definitely like the dual-sport riding position and "idealogy". There are LOTS of opportunities for off-road riding around here and I'd love to give it a try.

So, I've been thinking about switching up for about a week and found this beauty:

I contacted the seller and got some info:
-Currently runs and was previously used for commuting
~20,XXX miles
-Oil changed by owner every 3,000 miles
-Tires are at ~50%
-Anti-theft system

He's asking $1,500 for it and I'm VERY TEMPTED. I'll probably offer a little less just because that's what you're supposed to do. I could sell the 250 for about $3,000 and have a bike that I would enjoy even more!

Is this a terrible idea?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

$5 says that bike needs a lot more work than you seem to think it does.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
That bike screams "Been left running while on it's side for several minutes" to me. I smell a spun bearing from here.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'd show up with cash, take it for a test spin, and see how it feels. Weestrom uses the SV engine and has a tip over sensor so Nero's fears are sort of unfounded.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
For $1,500 it's absolutely worth a look.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Z3n posted:

I'd show up with cash, take it for a test spin, and see how it feels. Weestrom uses the SV engine and has a tip over sensor so Nero's fears are sort of unfounded.

Raven457 posted:

For $1,500 it's absolutely worth a look.

Yeah, for the price this is what I was thinking. It's a pretty die-hard setup and I'm not getting the scam-vibe from the guy, just the "this thing is really ugly and hard to sell" vibe.

I'm new to motorcycle maintenance, but any easy way to visually find possible major issues? I know to make sure I witness a cold-start and that it idles / warms up / shifts properly and to visually inspect the chain and sprockets. Any other easy-to-spot areas?

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Yeah, for the price this is what I was thinking. It's a pretty die-hard setup and I'm not getting the scam-vibe from the guy, just the "this thing is really ugly and hard to sell" vibe.

I'm new to motorcycle maintenance, but any easy way to visually find possible major issues? I know to make sure I witness a cold-start and that it idles / warms up / shifts properly and to visually inspect the chain and sprockets. Any other easy-to-spot areas?

Rust in the gas tank? I'm new to this stuff too, even if you find a little you can use it as a reason o lower the price

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Check age and condition of tires and sprockets for easy way to knock down the price. Also, ask about valve adjustments, oil changes, fork oil changes, shock rebuilding, swingarm bushing greasing/linkage greasing, headstock bearing greasing.

Sixty-Proof
Jul 23, 2007
An old acquaintance got in touch with me about his Honda Nighthawk 650 85', he's selling it for $800. It's only got 16000 miles on it, and he's willing to get it inspected before selling it. Besides the muffler looking pretty rusty, some cosmetic rust, and not starting it up in a year, what do you guys think as a starter bike? I have never been riding before, but I am taking my MSC in this upcoming month. If for some reason I don't like it, I have a friend I told about the bike who will buy it on the spot.

Sixty-Proof fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 9, 2012

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Sixty-Proof posted:

An old acquaintance got in touch with me about his Honda Nighthawk 650 85', he's selling it for $800. It's only got 16000 miles on it, and he's willing to get it inspected before selling it. Besides the muffler looking pretty rusty, some cosmetic rust, and not starting it up in a year, what do you guys think as a starter bike? I have never been riding before, but I am taking my MSC in this upcoming month. If for some reason I don't like it, I have a friend I told about the bike who will buy it on the spot.

I've got a 1984 Nighthawk 650. Honestly, I love the thing. This is also my first bike. It's got enough power to learn and grow with, but the way it delivers it makes it very easy to handle. Some people around here might say they're hard to work on or hard to find parts for, but I never found that to be true, for what it's worth.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Zubumafoo posted:

I've got a 1984 Nighthawk 650. Honestly, I love the thing. This is also my first bike. It's got enough power to learn and grow with, but the way it delivers it makes it very easy to handle. Some people around here might say they're hard to work on or hard to find parts for, but I never found that to be true, for what it's worth.

I'm also in the Nighthawk lovers club, my 83-84 (can't recall) 650 was also fantastic.

Looking at a '91 750 right now.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

Abe Froman posted:

I'm digging the flames a lot more in these non-shade photographs. I think I'll keep 'em.

Congrats on the silver 250! I used to have one of those, a 2007 silver. Here's my advice: replace those tires asap. Get a set of good quality Pirelli MT75's, and your riding pleasure will be quadrupled. Those tires look as if they'll ride like poo poo once you really get accustomed to riding... along with unsafe.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Sixty-Proof posted:

Not a bad starter bike, a bit on the topheavy side, but good. Sounds like it's been neglected a bit, so I would predict needing a bunch of maintenance items done on it in the first couple years of riding it. Fork seals, brake work, battery, chain, carbs, something like that. Just be ready for that when it hits your wallet. If it's inspectable and rideable for $800, that's a good price.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Looking to go to a sportier bike from my VFR. I'm getting a cage soon so I can afford to not have the versatility that I have now, and I want to get into track days. (It doesn't hurt that I love riding my uncles GSXR1000 and 900ss)

I'm keeping an open mind but I just REALLY want a Repsol 1000. How does the Price look on this one, which has been modded in a way I fancy.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/3127248704.html

Also do any of you know certain years/things to look for? I know the Repsol is just a fairing and wheel kit, but I find the other colorways bland/boring/typical in relation.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nitramster posted:

Looking to go to a sportier bike from my VFR. I'm getting a cage soon so I can afford to not have the versatility that I have now, and I want to get into track days. (It doesn't hurt that I love riding my uncles GSXR1000 and 900ss)

I'm keeping an open mind but I just REALLY want a Repsol 1000. How does the Price look on this one, which has been modded in a way I fancy.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/3127248704.html

Also do any of you know certain years/things to look for? I know the Repsol is just a fairing and wheel kit, but I find the other colorways bland/boring/typical in relation.

Are you planning on tracking the bike regularly? If so, don't buy a Repsol, which has a higher perceived value based entirely on cosmetic mods.

Instead, buy a cheap, 2-3k supersport from the early to mid 2000s, and spend the other 2-3k on tires and tracktime. If you really want a repsol bike, a weekend and some rattle cans plus some decals can net you a repsol looking bike at track speeds and distances. I'd also recommend strongly staying the hell off a literbike as a first trackbike. You will quickly learn that the bike is holding you back in a huge way, because of the amount of power on tap and the willingness to spin up the rear tires at a moment's notice. Riding the literbikes on track at speed is also a hugely physical experience, so if you're not in good shape, that's gonna hurt too.

The largest bike I'd consider for beginner track use is a 600. SVs are cheaper and go through tires much slower, which is nice, but aren't as powerful. If you have dreams of racing one day, start on the smaller bike, it'll teach valuable passing skills for racing. If you're just going to track the bike and have fun, buy a 600 or maybe an older 750...but the first priority is cheap, because you'll be way faster on something that you're not afraid of crashing.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
I knew that would be the default next comment but I wanted to see it happen anyway.

No I don't plan on tracking all the time. I know the fairings are worth more. I know a better starter track bike is a 600. I would buy a salvage track only bike if that was the case.

I also like the SV throw in, though I'm slightly disheartened by the lack of a Ninja 250 shoe-horned in there.

Z3n, I love your advice in these forums, this is what I'm looking at though. The real kicker is I almost lost my mind and put myself on the list for an S1000RR a couple months ago, but I decided getting a car/truck and a bike would be a better choice.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nitramster posted:

I knew that would be the default next comment but I wanted to see it happen anyway.

No I don't plan on tracking all the time. I know the fairings are worth more. I know a better starter track bike is a 600. I would buy a salvage track only bike if that was the case.

I also like the SV throw in, though I'm slightly disheartened by the lack of a Ninja 250 shoe-horned in there.

Z3n, I love your advice in these forums, this is what I'm looking at though. The real kicker is I almost lost my mind and put myself on the list for an S1000RR a couple months ago, but I decided getting a car/truck and a bike would be a better choice.

Well, if you're not keeping an open mind, just say so in the first place, and enjoy your literbike. Those generations of CBRs are totally solid bikes, nice flat torque curves, very rideable, solid suspension stock (although spring rates can be a little hit or miss, might want to budget for that). That's very expensive for that bike, but people will pay 1-2k over the value of a "normal" bike for the repsol edition, so if you're prepared to pay the premium, go for it.

I would never recommend anyone ride a ninja 250 on the track. 28hp and 180hp on the same track do not mix in any meaningful way, the closing speeds are absurd, dangerous, and asking for a big accident. C group, they're fine, but once you start getting into B group, it gets dangerous fast. There are no ninja 250s in A group, because it's not physically possible for anyone who isn't already a racer to get them under the A group cutoffs in CA.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
I was just being goony sarcastic, I just thought it would be/is funny. It's not that I don't have an open mind, I just want what I want (and I think about it a lot, thinking about bikes is at least 25% of my waking brain.) Thanks for the advice on the price. I might end up getting a 600, but knowing myself I wouldn't be satisfied and would want a liter bike still. Probably won't be doing any track days till December, and even then I'll probably do a couple of days at California Superbike School before I start doing them.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nitramster posted:

I was just being goony sarcastic, I just thought it would be/is funny. It's not that I don't have an open mind, I just want what I want. I just thought it would be/is funny. Thanks for the advice on the price. I might end up getting a 600, but knowing myself I wouldn't be satisfied and would want a liter bike still. Probably won't be doing any track days till December, and even then I'll probably do a couple of days at California Superbike School before I start doing them.

In my experience, literbikes are a lot more fun on the street than they are on the track...the power is intoxicating on the street, and there's enough straight bits to open it up regularly. On the track the straights are pretty short and the corners come at you pretty quickly, so there's not nearly as much time to enjoy the power as you'd expect.

However, traction control and abs go a long ways towards taming the beast...why not go to the superbike school sooner and see what it's like to ride a big bike on the track before you commit? If you're going to get into track riding, you'll know after that first day :)

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Nitramster posted:

I decided getting a car/truck and a bike would be a better choice.

If you're getting the Repsol bike, screw it, get the Tide truck too. No half measures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Marv Hushman posted:

If you're getting the Repsol bike, screw it, get the Tide truck too. No half measures.

Got any Craigslist links!?