Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

Ok off topic of the current hagrid-raising-human/wolf-babies does anyone know of a google calendar that has all the hp dates? There used to be one but it was deleted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trek Junkie
Jun 29, 2012

Commander Riker, or Jesus? ... Semantics.

reflir posted:

When I want to explain something in Harry Potter, I often appeal to a plagiarized World of Darkness setting, too.

This fanfiction cross-over exists.
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1151011/1/World_of_Darkness

White Wolf weeps.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
What bothers me is that the fan community obviously put so much more thought into these things than Rowling herself. This is troubling from two angles -- first, that Rowling would put in so little effort, and second, that others would invest so much (and I'll be up front and say I'm completely guilty of this too).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PT6A posted:

What bothers me is that the fan community obviously put so much more thought into these things than Rowling herself. This is troubling from two angles -- first, that Rowling would put in so little effort, and second, that others would invest so much (and I'll be up front and say I'm completely guilty of this too).

It's no more troubling (for the first point anyway) than Ridley Scott not giving a gently caress about Alien's continuity when he made Prometheus. They're just focused on different points of the story, specifically thematic connection over whether something from five books ago makes perfect sense with what you wrote now.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

PT6A posted:

Part of the fun of Harry Potter is how silly and ridiculous the magical world is. Crafting it carefully to be more logically consistent would sacrifice a lot of that lightness. Not trying to say it isn't fun to be spergy and point out the flaws, but pointing them out is a hell of a lot easier than suggesting alternatives that don't make the whole series a plodding exposition of magical rules. In fact, I think most of the series' success is due to how perfectly Rowling crafted a creative fantasy with just enough thought to make a sensible mystery out of each book, even if we had to consciously suspend our belief at times.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Eggnogium posted:

Part of the fun of Harry Potter is how silly and ridiculous the magical world is. Crafting it carefully to be more logically consistent would sacrifice a lot of that lightness. Not trying to say it isn't fun to be spergy and point out the flaws, but pointing them out is a hell of a lot easier than suggesting alternatives that don't make the whole series a plodding exposition of magical rules. In fact, I think most of the series' success is due to how perfectly Rowling crafted a creative fantasy with just enough thought to make a sensible mystery out of each book, even if we had to consciously suspend our belief at times.

Well, the story is based on the characters mostly anyway. The setting is just there to give them something to interact with.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

PT6A posted:

It's similar to Star Wars. George Lucas obviously isn't invested in the IP as much as most of the fans.

Fan communities always seem to be much more invested into these properties than the authors thanks to the internet being such a scary/good way of uniting people with shared interests.

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

Life is full of twicky decisions...

Paragon8 posted:

It's similar to Star Wars. George Lucas obviously isn't invested in the IP as much as most of the fans.

Fan communities always seem to be much more invested into these properties than the authors thanks to the internet being such a scary/good way of uniting people with shared interests.

This is a really good point. It's like the difference between "high fantasy" and "sword and sorcery" fantasy. In a high fantasy, like Lord of the Rings, the whole focus is the fantasy world, and the story of the world is told through characters. Where as in a sword and sorcery fantasy, the focus is the adventures of individual characters, like Harry, and their tales are told through a fantasy setting.

Look a sunflower
Jan 6, 2010

There may be a boogeyman or boogeymen in the house.
I think it's also because with the first book or two, Rowling never, ever expected them to take off the way they did. I know that later on she had an editor whose whole job was to make sure the book's internal logic was consistent, but when she was starting out such an expense would have been absurd and frankly, unnecessary for her target market.

I know that much has been made everywhere over how the books developed in tone, complexity, and, of course, length over the series. The first few read far more like Roald Dahl because she was still finding her voice. Situations like this make me wish that it were acceptable for an author to get a do-over (if she chose to, of course). In the same way that it's common to remake movies with better effects or technology that didn't exist when the movie was first produced, I think it would be neat if an author could rewrite his or her earlier works to fill in the gaps and strengthen it with their experience as a writer.

I feel like this would be soundly rejected as a concept because it would look like a shameless cash-in on the author's part, and because fans of the first work would likely reject the rewrites the way that fans of original movies reject the remakes. I just remember when I used to write stories as a hobby, I would feel completely embarrassed by writings from my younger years to the point of destroying all copies of them years or even just months later, reading the amateurism in every line. I wonder if real authors ever feel the same way, or whether they cherish their earlier works for all the effort and care it took to create them.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
As an example, Ender's Game was first written as a short story before Card turned it into a novel, so it's obviously not unheard of for an author to revisit previous works and change or improve upon them.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

PT6A posted:

As an example, Ender's Game was first written as a short story before Card turned it into a novel, so it's obviously not unheard of for an author to revisit previous works and change or improve upon them.

He then tried to "improve" Hamlet by making it really really offensive.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Barnes and Noble & Yahoo! chat
October,20 2000

Blaise_42 asks: In Chamber of Secrets, Hagrid is supposed to have raised werewolf cubs under his bed. Are these the same kind of werewolves as Professor Lupin?

jkrowling_bn: no... Riddle was telling lies about Hagrid, just slandering him

So that's answered then.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

PT6A posted:

I think in Card's case it probably was "lets try this idea in a short story to see if it has any play" and then he expanded on it .

A better comparison would again be George Lucas - revisiting tremendously successful works and wanting to improve them. Rowling I think has a better awareness of what her fans want though. I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see Author's editions coming out but I'm not sure if Rowling really even still cares about Harry Potter enough to produce new content.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

He then tried to "improve" Hamlet by making it really really offensive.

Hey, I'm not going to defend his reprehensible personal views and some of his dumber decisions that seem to be based on them, I'm just saying it's not unheard of to revisit one's own earlier work.

MissConduct
Jun 20, 2008

Hardships are like training with lead weights...
When they come off, you go flying down the road!

Blight posted:

Yes, like why didn't the ministry use veriteserum on the deatheaters? The book says it was hard to punish the right people, because they didn't know who was under the imperius curse and not.

And the owls. The owls can deliver a letter to anyone. Why not use them to find fugetives?

In the same vein, I always wondered why someone didn't transfigure Harry into an owl or something when he was being moved from Privet Drive in Deathly Hallows.

Wouldn't that have been much simpler than having decoys?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

MissConduct posted:

In the same vein, I always wondered why someone didn't transfigure Harry into an owl or something when he was being moved from Privet Drive in Deathly Hallows.

Wouldn't that have been much simpler than having decoys?

Being an owl didn't help Hedwig. :smith:

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

If only she also had duplicates.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Look a sunflower posted:

I just remember when I used to write stories as a hobby, I would feel completely embarrassed by writings from my younger years to the point of destroying all copies of them years or even just months later, reading the amateurism in every line. I wonder if real authors ever feel the same way, or whether they cherish their earlier works for all the effort and care it took to create them.

It's not Rowling, but Jim Butcher (author of the Dresden Files series) has flat out told fans "if you're recommending the series to friends, tell them to skip the first 3 or 4 books. They're bad and I was a bad author then."

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Surprised no ones posted it yet but my wife is in Slytherin on Pottermore, and apparently they are getting Chamber of Secrets first for winning the house cup.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

GoodApollo posted:

Surprised no ones posted it yet but my wife is in Slytherin on Pottermore, and apparently they are getting Chamber of Secrets first for winning the house cup.

Yep I can confirm that. See evil does pay

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
See now I'm twice as annoyed at being sorted into Gryffindor. drat goody two shoes house!

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Great, not only did I get stuck in Hufflepuff, I will probably get stuck getting Chamber of Secrets last too. I'm amused how Hufflepuff has the most members and finished last as well.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
And Ravenclaw was doing so well during the beta, like the bunch of nerds we are.

Also it fits that the Slytherins get access to the Chamber of Secrets. It's like House stereotypes are hitting us in the face today.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Yep I can confirm that. See evil does pay

I am the evilest because I contributed nothing. :smug:

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

Szmitten posted:

I am the evilest because I contributed nothing. :smug:

Same! I didn't really like getting sorted into Slytherin but I guess it payed off? I get to finish my half hour of new content one day ahead of everyone else!

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Look a sunflower posted:

Situations like this make me wish that it were acceptable for an author to get a do-over (if she chose to, of course). In the same way that it's common to remake movies with better effects or technology that didn't exist when the movie was first produced, I think it would be neat if an author could rewrite his or her earlier works to fill in the gaps and strengthen it with their experience as a writer.

Tolkien did this, sort of. He rewrote small parts of "The Hobbit" after he wrote "Lord of the Rings" to make it fit better.

MissConduct
Jun 20, 2008

Hardships are like training with lead weights...
When they come off, you go flying down the road!

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Poor Hedwig. I was more upset than I should have been over her dying.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Bad Wolf posted:

Tolkien did this, sort of. He rewrote small parts of "The Hobbit" after he wrote "Lord of the Rings" to make it fit better.

The whole "Chapter 5 of The Hobbit as written before was a lie told by Bilbo" was pretty masterfully done, and I didn't notice any tone/style changes compared to the rest of the unchanged book too, which is pretty amazing since it was done, what, 20 years later?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Is it even possible to get a copy of the Hobbit with the original, unaltered riddle game chapter?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Anya posted:

Great, not only did I get stuck in Hufflepuff, I will probably get stuck getting Chamber of Secrets last too. I'm amused how Hufflepuff has the most members and finished last as well.

I will bet dollars to donuts that most people who get Sorted into Hufflepuff are ashamed to be "stuck" in the Loser House and abandon their first accounts so that they can have a do-over. And I say this as a Badger. :britain:

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Pththya-lyi posted:

I will bet dollars to donuts that most people who get Sorted into Hufflepuff are ashamed to be "stuck" in the Loser House and abandon their first accounts so that they can have a do-over. And I say this as a Badger. :britain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXF4JuA6tcg

Never not relevant

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

Life is full of twicky decisions...

Pththya-lyi posted:

Sure is true. A load of my friends kept making new accounts until they were Gryffindors. :doh:

Look a sunflower
Jan 6, 2010

There may be a boogeyman or boogeymen in the house.
I found that Pottermore improved my opinion of Hufflepuff a LOT and basically made them seem like Hobbits. The common room apparently looks exactly like a Hobbit hole :3

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Pththya-lyi posted:

You're probably on to something, because that's exactly what I would have done if I got Hufflepuff.

Ravenclaw superiority. :colbert: I could've lived with either of the other two, but not the puff.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Anyone have that quote (possibly from this thread) about how Hufflepuff was the best house, and they all spent the school year behind the greenhouse "huffling the puff" or something like that?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Pththya-lyi posted:

Somewhat true! I didn't do a do-over, but I got sorted into Hufflepuff and haven't bothered to go back to the site. Screw you sorting hat I wanted Slytherin :colbert:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The first four chapters are a lot better and they seem to be more interactive. But gently caress the gnome game.

Here all the important info

quote:

The Malfoy name comes from old French and translates as 'bad faith'. Like many other progenitors of noble English families, the wizard Armand Malfoy arrived in Britain with William the Conqueror as part of the invading Norman army. Having rendered unknown, shady (and almost certainly magical) services to King William I, Malfoy was given a prime piece of land in Wiltshire, seized from local landowners, upon which his descendants have lived for ten consecutive centuries.

Their wily ancestor Armand encapsulated many of the qualities that have distinguished the Malfoy family to the present day. The Malfoys have always had the reputation, hinted at by their not altogether complimentary surname, of being a slippery bunch, to be found courting power and riches wherever they might be found. In spite of their espousal of pure-blood values and their undoubtedly genuine belief in wizards' superiority over Muggles, the Malfoys have never been above ingratiating themselves with the non-magical community when it suits them. The result is that they are one of the richest wizarding families in Britain, and it has been rumoured for many years (though never proven) that over the centuries the family has dabbled successfully in Muggle currency and assets. Over hundreds of years, they have managed to add to their lands in Wiltshire by annexing those of neighbouring Muggles, and the favour they curried with royalty added Muggle treasures and works of art to an ever-expanding collection.

Historically, the Malfoys drew a sharp distinction between poor Muggles and those with wealth and authority. Until the imposition of the Statute of Secrecy in 1692, the Malfoy family was active within high-born Muggle circles, and it is said that their fervent opposition to the imposition of the Statute was due, in part, to the fact that they would have to withdraw from this enjoyable sphere of social life. Though hotly denied by subsequent generations, there is ample evidence to suggest that the first Lucius Malfoy was an unsuccessful aspirant to the hand of Elizabeth I, and some wizarding historians allege that the Queen's subsequent opposition to marriage was due to a jinx placed upon her by the thwarted Malfoy.

With that healthy degree of self-preservation that has characterised most of their actions over the centuries, once the Statute of Secrecy had passed into law the Malfoys ceased fraternising with Muggles, however well-born, and accepted that further opposition and protests could only distance them from the new heart of power: the newly created Ministry of Magic. They performed an abrupt volte-face, and became as vocally supportive of the Statute as any of those who had championed it from the beginning, hastening to deny that they had ever been on speaking (or marrying) terms with Muggles.

The substantial wealth at their disposal ensured them considerable (and much resented) influence at the Ministry for generations to come, though no Malfoy has ever aspired to the role of Minister for Magic. It is often said of the Malfoy family that you will never find one at the scene of the crime, though their fingerprints might be all over the guilty wand. Independently wealthy, with no need to work for a living, they have generally preferred the role of power behind the throne, happy for others to do the donkey work and to take the responsibility for failure. They have helped finance many of their preferred candidates’ election campaigns, which have (it is alleged) included paying for dirty work such as hexing the opposition.

The Malfoys' unfeigned contempt for all Muggles who could not offer them jewels or influence, and for the majority of their fellow wizards, drew them naturally towards the pure-blood doctrine, which seemed for several years in the twentieth century to be their likeliest source of untrammelled power. From the imposition of the Statute of Secrecy onwards, no Malfoy has married a Muggle or Muggle-born. The family has, however, eschewed the somewhat dangerous practice of inter-marrying within such a small pool of pure-bloods that they become enfeebled or unstable, unlike a small minority of fanatic families such as the Gaunts and Lestranges, and many a half-blood appears on the Malfoy family tree.

Notable Malfoys of past generations include the fourteenth-century Nicholas Malfoy, who is believed to have dispatched many a fractious Muggle tenant under the guise of the Black Death, though escaping censure by the Wizards' Council; Septimus Malfoy, who was greatly influential at the Ministry in the late eighteenth century, many claiming that Minister for Magic Unctuous Osbert was little more than his puppet; and Abraxas Malfoy, who was widely believed to be part of the shady plot that saw the first Muggle-born Minister (Nobby Leach) leave his post prematurely in 1968 (nothing was ever proven against Malfoy).

Abraxas’s son, Lucius, achieved notoriety as one of Lord Voldemort's Death Eaters, though he successfully evaded prison after both Lord Voldemort's attempted coups. On the first occasion, he claimed to have been acting under the Imperius Curse (though many claimed he called in favours from high-placed Ministry officials); on the second occasion, he provided evidence against fellow Death Eaters and helped ensure the capture of many of Lord Voldemort's followers who had fled into hiding. His son, Draco, was saved by Harry Potter during the Battle of Hogwarts, and currently resides at the family estate in Wiltshire.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 11, 2012

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Spent half an hour trying to find that poo poo :argh: Isn't there some some stuff about wizards and tech too?

I bet Draco loves being remembered for being saved by Harry potter during the Battle of Hogwarts.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Spent half an hour trying to find that poo poo :argh: Isn't there some some stuff about wizards and tech too?

I bet Draco loves being remembered for being saved by Harry potter during the Battle of Hogwarts.

yes

quote:

When you can summon any book, instrument or animal with a wave of the wand and the word 'Accio!'; when you can communicate with friends and acquaintances by means of owl, fire, Patronus, Howler, enchanted objects such as coins, or Apparate to visit them in person; when your newspaper has moving pictures and everyday objects sometimes talk to you, then the internet does not seem a particularly exciting place. This is not to say that you will never find a witch or wizard surfing the net; merely that they will generally be doing so out of slightly condescending curiosity, or else doing research in the field of Muggle Studies.

While they have no need of mundane domestic objects such as dishwashers or vacuum cleaners, some members of the magical community are amused by Muggle television, and a few firebrand wizards even went so far, in the early eighties, as to start a British Wizarding Broadcasting Corporation, in the hope that they would be able to have their own television channel. The project foundered at an early stage, as the Ministry of Magic refused to countenance the broadcasting of wizarding material on a Muggle device, which would (it was felt) almost guarantee serious breaches of the International Statute of Secrecy.

Some felt, and with justification, that this decision was inconsistent and unfair, as many radios have been legally modified by the wizarding community for their own use, which broadcast regular wizarding programmes. The Ministry conceded that Muggles frequently catch snippets of advice on, for instance, how to prune a Venomous Tentacula, or how best to remove gnomes from a cabbage bed, but argued that the radio-listening Muggle population seems altogether more tolerant, gullible, or less convinced of their own good sense, than Muggle TV viewers. Reasons for this anomaly are examined at length in Professor Mordicus Egg's The Philosophy of the Mundane: Why the Muggles Prefer Not to Know. Professor Egg argues cogently that Muggles are much more likely to believe they have misheard something than that they are hallucinating.

There is another reason for most wizards' avoidance of Muggle devices, and that is cultural. The magical community prides itself on the fact that it does not need the many (admittedly ingenious) devices that Muggles have created to enable them to do what can be so easily done by magic. To fill one's house with tumble dryers and telephones would be seen as an admission of magical inadequacy.

There is one major exception to the general magical aversion to Muggle technology, and that is the car (and, to a lesser extent, motorbikes and trains). Prior to the introduction of the International Statute of Secrecy, wizards and Muggles used the same kind of everyday transport: horse-drawn carts and sailing ships among them. The magical community was forced to abandon horse-drawn vehicles when they became glaringly outmoded. It is pointless to deny that wizardkind looked with great envy upon the speedy and comfortable automobiles that began filling the roads in the twentieth century, and eventually even the Ministry of Magic bought a fleet of cars, modifying them with various useful charms and enjoying them very much indeed. Many wizards love cars with a child-like passion, and there have been cases of pure-bloods who claim never to touch a Muggle artefact, and yet are discovered to have a flying Rolls Royce in their garage. However, the most extreme anti-Muggles eschew all motorised transport; Sirius Black's love of motorbikes incensed his hard-line parents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
If only the antediluvian wizarding population realized the wonders of :siren: Free Porn :siren: on the Internet.

I wonder how much of this she thought of beforehand, and how much is retroactive "poo poo, I have to find some way to justify why there are wizarding radios and cars, but no TV or internet".

• Locked thread