Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009
So I was just thinking about some doom stuff and decided it should be posted here

the ultimate Doom has 4 episodes, each consisting of 9 levels which equals out to 36 levels

Doom 2 contains 32 maps, as do both TnT and plutonia

The master levels for Doom 2 has about 20 maps (I think)

and Doom 64 also contains 32 maps

which in total ends up being about 184 maps for Doom as a whole

I'm probably missing some stuff (I don't really count the 1000 LEVEL DOOM PACK CD stuff as legitimate) but I believe this is about how many there are

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zacharias posted:

So I was just thinking about some doom stuff and decided it should be posted here

the ultimate Doom has 4 episodes, each consisting of 9 levels which equals out to 36 levels

I'm probably missing some stuff (I don't really count the 1000 LEVEL DOOM PACK CD stuff as legitimate) but I believe this is about how many there are

If you're going to count Doom 64 you should also count the special Playstation-only Doom maps, and maybe even the console versions of Doom maps. For example the http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Atari_Jaguar version had 22 of the 27 PC Doom 1 levels, many of them modified significantly, and 2 brand new levels. http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Game_Boy_Advance version uses most of the same maps, but the Doom II version for it has two levels that were split in half: so that Industrial Zone is now two levels and The Chasm is now two levels.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Zacharias posted:

I compiled a WAD of all the official Doom levels back to back (sans Doom 64, which would take a fair deal of editing to get working) and between The Ultimate Doom, Doom II, The Master Levels, TNT: Evilution, The Plutonia Experiment, the PSX exclusive levels, and No Rest For The Living, there's 170 maps.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

The Kins posted:

Thanks. I'll throw those into the OP if I remember.
I want to do something like this, but the official ZDoom/GZDoom builds will never, EVER support permadeath and/or saving non-savegame data in any form because one of the developers is weirdly stubborn about only supporting linear Doom-style games where you can save at any time. There are unofficial builds that offer this sort of thing, but it'd be a bit of a pain to force players to set up a whole new source port just for one mod.

Well, that's essentially what happened with ScoreDoom, isn't it? (a mod I will totally play when I start playing with mods)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Is there a mod out there that allows within-species monster friendly fire? In-fighting is optional, but that would be okay too.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The new official GZDoom release is out, but the guy can't update his actual page due to some sort of web hosting SNAFU. You should be able to grab it from here.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Thank god, you can turn off auto-saves now! If only there was a way of removing the autoload when you die...

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So I'm playing Epic 2/Nazis based on recommendations and its a lot of fun! However I think I've encountered a bit of a problem on a map called "Orion's Belt".

I have a feeling I'm supposed to shoot that switch to let myself out of this force-field cage. However, my bullets won't pass through it. I've tried just about every weapon I have, am I missing something obvious?

Also, kinda sad I haven't found an Enfield yet. :(

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So I'm playing Epic 2/Nazis based on recommendations and its a lot of fun! However I think I've encountered a bit of a problem on a map called "Orion's Belt".

I have a feeling I'm supposed to shoot that switch to let myself out of this force-field cage. However, my bullets won't pass through it. I've tried just about every weapon I have, am I missing something obvious?

I had the same problem, and I wasn't even using NAZIS! Eventually, I just gave up and idclip'ed through the barrier.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I think it's something with the compatibility options in GZDoom. If you set them to "Doom" it should work.

I just IDCLIP'ed through.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

A new and exciting test version of Brutal Doom has been posted!

quote:

- Some rare new deaths when killing zombiemen and imps with headshoots (soon to be implemented on Chaingunners and Shotgunguys)
- Improved Rocket and Grenade Launcher smoke trails
- Fixed a bug with Rifle loosing its ammo when switching off without extra ammo.
- Added improved sprites for Mancubus Cannon, and Revenant Launcher made by Mike12.
- New psychs for bodies and limbs when hit by explosions.
- I am implementing new fingers for the shotgun's animations. Not all animations are with the new fingers yet, so, dont need to report it as bug.
- Introduced a new recoil system (thanks to Tell for the scripts)
- Reverted Shotgun and Super Shotgun fire sounds back to the 0.14
- Explosion, zombiemen idle, and player pain sounds changed back to Doom's original.

- Fixed a bug with limbs not geting carbonized by plasma fire.

It looks like the ridiculous "improved" textures are gone, too!

Link copied from ZDoom forums (Skulltag only): http://www.mediafire.com/?o06i88tyaora6ln

Octal
Jan 30, 2003

It is haram to draw images of mythical beasts even if it never existed in reality

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

A new and exciting test version of Brutal Doom has been posted!

It looks like the ridiculous "improved" textures are gone, too!

Link copied from ZDoom forums (Skulltag only): http://www.mediafire.com/?o06i88tyaora6ln

Is there a zdoom version as well?
Edit: Nope, just the skulltag/zandorum

How did they come up with that name anyway? Does it mean anything?

Edit: Why not ZMooD or Zmatch or Cataclysm or anything that can have a chance of not being totally wiped from someone's mind within the hour of seeing it.

Octal fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 5, 2012

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
It took... months, I think, but I finally got around to fixing up some of the issues folks had with my map for the (eventual) goonwad. It should be more difficult than before, as that was the main complaint. There are more enemies, including more varied types than in the original version, and the ammo / weapon / health items have been adjusted accordingly. Ammo should get a little tight on hard, but it should be completable on every skill level (...although I didn't test Nightmare!). And each skill level should play slightly differently because of different weapon availability. ...but it may still need work.

The only major structural change was removing the door that was originally here to improve flow. The doors have all been changed to the fast open / stay type for the same reason.

Everything else is minor cosmetic stuff like the borders outside.

Link: Here

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Your map is pretty slick and I didn't find any problems with it. I really like the layout and some of the secrets, although I only found 4; it has a good doom feel to it.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I finished up Quake 2 a few days ago, and it's a lot better than I remember. There's plenty of ammo for you to go nuts with awesome weapons like the Chaingun, Rocket Launcher and BFG, which makes combat a blast. The enemies have personality (like the cannon fodder soldier's overdramatic death animations, the Tanks' THUMP and even the Iron Maiden's bizzare sexual moan idle sound), the levels are good enough that you won't get lost, and the game gives you a nice and steady supply of new guns to mess with, even if you don't go secret hunting. Even the orange and gray pallet isn't that bad after a few minutes. Quake 1 is still the best SP wise, but Q2 is a worthy successor to Quake 1, even if some of the charm that Quake 1 had is gone (the rest of the charm the Romero-era iD games had went away with Quake 3 :v:).

The expansion packs can get hosed though. Ground Zero has mediocre level design that's filled with boring "enhanced" versions of normal enemies that take forever to kill, while Reckoning has underpowered weapons that the game really wants you to use, bullet sponge Icaruses, too much emphasis on the Railgun and those lovely small laser turrets that do 20 damage a hit and fire really fast lasers that will occasionally predict your movement with no warning. I'm considering quitting Reckoning because I'm getting sick of being gunned down by a laser turret that pops out of nowhere when I'm fighting other enemies.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
My problem with Quake 2 is that there are no memorable battles. You almost never attacked from all sides and even then the Strogg are just terribly slow bullet sponges. The only way to get hurt is by walking into a Gunner's grenade spam or getting tazered by a pack of those annoying dog things. The hub design was much better than I had remembered and the skyboxes are still pretty cool. Shame about the Big Gun level being such a turd.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Just played through this and it's as nice as always, but a couple things of note:

These two imps are stuck in one another on HMP/UV.

I have no idea how to get into this room on the right; a little help? :V

All in all, I still enjoyed it; the added monsters (the revenant trap near the green armor especially) make it a little more exciting and fun to play. I'm glad you didn't just dump a load of monsters everywhere and said "There, it's a little harder now" (like I would)

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
I fixed the imps. Oddly enough, they worked fine when testing on whichever version of zdoom I'm currently running. I'll upload the fixed version in a few days, just to see if anyone else finds something. And that revenant still gets me occasionally even though I made the drat map.

How to get to that secret room: the switch that lowers the berserker pack in the room with the red switch / teleporter also lowers one of the panels in the hall to reveal a second switch. Shooting that opens the secret door. I'm not entirely sure the reward is even worth the effort on anything but easy... especially when this isn't part of a larger wad.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Paul Pot posted:

My problem with Quake 2 is that there are no memorable battles. You almost never attacked from all sides and even then the Strogg are just terribly slow bullet sponges. The only way to get hurt is by walking into a Gunner's grenade spam or getting tazered by a pack of those annoying dog things. The hub design was much better than I had remembered and the skyboxes are still pretty cool. Shame about the Big Gun level being such a turd.

Agreed. The only real memorable battles are the bosses (mostly because it's so easy to wreck them), that level near the end of the Hangar hub that's filled with strong enemies in small to medium-sized rooms, and the army of Tank Commanders when you're inside the palace in the final hub. Every other encounter is "oh no a Gunner and Berserker are in your way!" with the occasional Iron Maiden or two thrown in after you reach the Power Plant hub.

Of course, none of this matters when you become a BFG ball and rocket-spewing god of destruction. :unsmigghh:

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

Octal posted:

Is there a zdoom version as well?
Edit: Nope, just the skulltag/zandorum

How did they come up with that name anyway? Does it mean anything?

Edit: Why not ZMooD or Zmatch or Cataclysm or anything that can have a chance of not being totally wiped from someone's mind within the hour of seeing it.

It was apparently formed from "ZDoom", "Andromeda" and "Infernum"

I think there was also the argument that it can shorten to ZDM, which might remind people of ZDaemon.

I hate the name but I can easily remember it. Maybe because I hate it. I dunno.

Paul Pot posted:

I remember fights (and their general playspace) from Doom/2, I remember the general look and feel of Quake 1 levels. My problem with Quake 2 is that I remember neither.

danbo fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jul 7, 2012

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Quake 2 feels the same for me, it lacks the "oh god this was awesome" because you had to run and jump around loving fast in order to survive, killing lots of enemies in the process. But I keep replaying Quake 2 from time to time because as every ID game, the shooting is fantastic and I would kill for a remake of it with RAGE's engine just to see how stroggs react to shoots in different parts of their body.

Octal
Jan 30, 2003

It is haram to draw images of mythical beasts even if it never existed in reality

Tiger Schwert posted:

It was apparently formed from "ZDoom", "Andromeda" and "Infernum"

I think there was also the argument that it can shorten to ZDM, which might remind people of ZDaemon.

I hate the name but I can easily remember it. Maybe because I hate it. I dunno.

I remember fights (and their general playspace) from Doom/2, I remember the general look and feel of Quake 1 levels. My problem with Quake 2 is that I remember neither.

It's totally not working for me because I came back to the thread and forgot about Zandorum or whatever its called. Why not ZestyDoom? Now you can have a dumb name that anyone can remember.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

This is the Skulltag community we're talking about here. I'm sure that somewhere there was a 90+ page thread with a huge screaming match over whether or not there should be a Z in the name that resulted in 15 people leaving the Doom community and several death threats.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

:psyduck: Can anyone break down how Scythe map 28 (Run From It) works? I know it involves some barrels and a player clone, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around what's going on.

If you're wondering: You have a limited time to complete the map before you rapidly begin to die

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It works by you going "gently caress this poo poo" and idcleving to map29, because that level is so bad

SnipeBob
Dec 8, 2006

"You mechs may have copper wiring to reroute your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel."

Mak0rz posted:

:psyduck: Can anyone break down how Scythe map 28 (Run From It) works? I know it involves some barrels and a player clone, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around what's going on.

Start the map, turn on god mode, run up the staircase. Then turn on no clip mode, walk back down the stairs, and go through the wall south of your start point. You'll see a small square room with a barrel, a player clone, and a moving ceiling. I don't think the ceiling moves until you reach the top of the first staircase.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
btw, god mode won't actually help, because voodoo dolls can still kill you if IDDQD is on.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Fag Boy Jim posted:

It works by you going "gently caress this poo poo" and idcleving to map29, because that level is so bad

Once I realized I was on a timer it was fairly easy :chord:

SnipeBob posted:

Start the map, turn on god mode, run up the staircase. Then turn on no clip mode, walk back down the stairs, and go through the wall south of your start point. You'll see a small square room with a barrel, a player clone, and a moving ceiling. I don't think the ceiling moves until you reach the top of the first staircase.

Oh is that all? What about the ring of barreled hallways surrounding the stage, each with like four Former Humans?

Fag Boy Jim posted:

btw, god mode won't actually help, because voodoo dolls can still kill you if IDDQD is on.

It worked fine for me.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Any tips for a Blood newb? Playing on the middle difficulty and the game seems really hard.

Also any news on a port job? BloodXL was the last one being worked on right?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Reive posted:

Any tips for a Blood newb? Playing on the middle difficulty and the game seems really hard.

It is really hard. Stuff dies easily but hits really hard, and this applies to you as well - you get a lot of fun toys to play with but it's an extremely lethal game. There's no shame in turning down the difficulty further.

There are no current ports. XLEngine is the best bet, and it is actually coming along - the website is pretty much dead but the developer is pretty active on the forums and is making steady progress. However, right now he's mostly focusing on Dark Forces and Daggerfall support; Blood, if it's in the next release at all, will be in an early alpha state.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Reive posted:

Abuse the hell out of the Flare Gun, TNT and the Napalm Launcher. Explosives are extremely powerful against every enemy in the game and they're pretty common. The only explosive that isn't really useful is the one that acts like a mine.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Maybe I'm a loving moron, but how do I enable free mouselook in GZDoom? I just want to look up and down so I can actually shoot AT that one imp in E1M1, dammit :qq:

EDIT: Yay, found it!

Trip Report: It...it's glorious. :stare: The classic run-and-gun of Doom combined with the ability to blast heads and legs off, kick imps in the face, and tell them to go gently caress themselves while I do it.

DOOM Complete Pack for $35? I don't care if the summer sale starts soon, it's the best buy I ever made.

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 10, 2012

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

D34THROW posted:

DOOM Complete Pack for $35? I don't care if the summer sale starts soon, it's the best buy I ever made.

It's great that you're happy with it and everything, but you'll probably be able to get the iD super mega pack for something like $20 in the sale.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

NoodleBox posted:

There's also the eight new PSX Doom maps, the two/three new maps from the Jaguar Doom base, the two (terrible) maps included as part of the Doom 3 Collector's Edition for Xbox, the exclusive No Rest For The Living episode included with XBLA Doom 2, the GBA-exclusive multiplayer maps... I think that's everything else.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man I forgot how much of a dick punch the Doom endings are.

Grats you killed two Spider Masterminds and thirty-six Hell Barons at once. GTFO. :shepface:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Reive posted:

Every enemy has its weapon weaknesses that you can find out and exploit after a while. I'll put some in spoilers:
  • Zombie: weak to everything. just have fun and waste these dudes
  • Cultists: one-shot flares in most difficulties just pop n' hide until they die. the Tommy Gun can also stunlock them from a distance. if you see the Tommy Gun cultists do NOT go out in the open, they will wreck your poo poo
  • Hellhound: weak to Tesla Cannon. also can run up close and double-shotgun blast them before jumping over them. not dangerous in the open
  • Gargoyle: shotguns and rockets. don't let them get close
  • Gillbeast: shotgun them up close and run away
  • Butcher: TNT is your best bet
  • Stone Gargoyle: Tesla Cannon all the way. barring that let loose with Tommy Guns

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rather Dashing posted:

It's great that you're happy with it and everything, but you'll probably be able to get the iD super mega pack for something like $20 in the sale.

I paid £37 for the id Super Pack a few years back and don't regret it for a minute :colbert:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Convex posted:

I paid £37 for the id Super Pack a few years back and don't regret it for a minute :colbert:

In terms of dollar to entertainment exchange, I think Doom and early id engine games in general are hovering somewhere near 'infinite'

I'm really looking forward to the new Doom 3 release :unsmith:

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
As am I. I'm still hoping someone made a demake of DooM 3 for Ultimate DooM, but I'll have to see if Classic DooM for DooM 3 is any good. (Is it? Still waiting on the Steam sale.)

Are there any good 'vanilla' .wads besides Scythe/Alien Vendetta/TNT that are recommended?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Reive posted:

What everyone else said, plus use the dynamite's alt-fire to safely bounce it around suspicious corners.

Do not let cultists drop into water, they won't drown and will kill you even quicker now they have another degree of freedom.