Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

kstatix posted:

I think his point is that the number of people using Google voice for text messaging is very little, and those that actually do probably participate in some kind of online message board involving wireless services.

Imagine 108 million people in a room and then maybe 10 thousand(this is a completely made up number but you get my point) walked out. Nobody will give a poo poo, especially not the person who owns the room.

I also work for verizon and I could give two shits about my employer, but his points are valid.

So...be quiet please.

Thank you Captain Obvious.

It's possible to make valid points without being a shitheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Thank you Captain Obvious.

It's possible to make valid points without being a shitheel.

I'm sorry you're so sensitive.

Next time I'll make sure to post in your direction in crayon.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

clamiam45 posted:

Man, these guys are just so slimy. However I'm too satisfied with my price of service, coverage, and new Galaxy to switch carriers. Maybe in the long term staying with Verizon is a devil's pact, but right now it's too comfortable.

What phone is that?
What Rom is it on?

How about real details please. That seems excessive.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

EbolaIvory posted:

What phone is that?
What Rom is it on?

How about real details please. That seems excessive.

It's the galaxy s3. You're greeted with that lovely screen if you try to use a modified boot.img. This currently prevents any custom kernels but there's at least a work around to get root with modified recovery.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Samsunged again

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.
Sounds more like Verizowned.

Jesus, I feel dirty for having typed that.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

right arm posted:

Samsunged again

According to some tier 2 Samsung rep, Verizon is the only carrier that requested a locked bootloader on the SGS3.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Fruit Chewy posted:

It's the galaxy s3. You're greeted with that lovely screen if you try to use a modified boot.img. This currently prevents any custom kernels but there's at least a work around to get root with modified recovery.
Which is an amusing break. The fact that the bootloader doesn't check the recovery signature is a big gaping hole for code execution.

Furthermore, kexec already works on the US SGS3 so it'll be a day or two, maybe, before folks start making legitimate custom kernels.

Just never update the bootloader, ever.

right arm posted:

Samsunged again
Well, I mean, Verizon has forced this on HTC and Motorola for quite a while now. In fact the Verizon SGS3 is the first Samsung device to ship locked like this.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Krabkolash posted:

Sounds more like Verizowned.

Jesus, I feel dirty for having typed that.

How much leverage could Verizon possibly have over such a major manufacturer? I don't get why nearly every one seems to cave so easily.

I suppose the manufacturers don't have much of a reason not to lock the bootloader when asked.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Vertigus posted:

I suppose the manufacturers don't have much of a reason not to lock the bootloader when asked.

I imagine the fairly potent amount of backlash they get for it (see: the backlash against Moto, HTC, etc) is a pretty relevant reason. This way, at least Samsung has the get-out-of-hate-free card of "welp, Verizon made us, sorry! :shobon:".

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Vertigus posted:

How much leverage could Verizon possibly have over such a major manufacturer? I don't get why nearly every one seems to cave so easily.

Verizon's the biggest carrier in the US. Would you NOT want to be selling your phones to their customers?

I only hope that Motorola starts telling them to take a hike now that they're owned by Google.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Athenry posted:

Verizon's the biggest carrier in the US. Would you NOT want to be selling your phones to their customers?

Verizon's the biggest carrier in the US. Would they NOT want to have phones to sell to their customers? The manufacturers are dealing with a much bigger, non-CDMA and world market.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Vertigus posted:

Verizon's the biggest carrier in the US. Would they NOT want to have phones to sell to their customers? The manufacturers are dealing with a much bigger, non-CDMA and world market.

Verizon has more pull than any manufacturer but Apple. You are talking like manufacturers would work together to erode Verizon's power, but they won't because that IS their competition. If Samsung refuses to work with Verizon, LG will, etc. Beyond that, the more you appease Verizon, the more likely you get free promotions, better pricings and subsidies, etc. Example of the Galaxy Nexus being delayed in favor of the RAZR is a great example.

And honestly, while the minority that roots phones can be loud, Samsung locking boot loaders for Verizon just won't be a controversy or affect them in any way.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica
So I have a galaxy nexus that's maybe 2 months old, and two things have happened to it so far:

- The screen cracked in half while the phone was in my pocket. Like, in baggy/loose jeans while I was standing. The touch screen started to mess up a lot in the area it cracked before it did, leading me to believe it was caused by a manufacturer defect. I know this because the crack happened right where my keyboard is, and the area where the screen later cracked would always replace my swypes with random letters and spaces, kind of like "hey how's it go U U U U U U"

- Right after that happened, it also decided that it isn't going to charge while powered on anymore. Not on USB, or AC. Tried the stock cable, and about 15 other ac adapters that came with droids I've owned in the past. Tried a bunch of random solutions to this problem from the internet and nothing really worked. This problem is intermittent too.
edit: now it appears to have stopped charging while turned off, and it's become a brick or something.

I took it into one verizon store and they want to make me pay almost 100 dollars for a refurbished phone. I don't know, I think that's kind of bullshit when they sold me an obviously defective piece of hardware and I paid like 600 dollars for it because I didn't have a phone upgrade.

Is there any like, I don't know, phone line or address or something I can write to Verizon and let them know how I feel about that? I feel like my phone was VERY clearly defective but they don't want to honor the warranty and instead want to make me go through insurance & make me pay for it & give me a refurbished phone.

Oh if it matters I have the extended insurance on it.

I don't care about paying or whatever for a new phone, but I just don't want to go through refurb hell. Last time I got a refurb from verizon, I had to send it back 11 times before I received a working phone. Granted, that was a droid X2 which is kind of a POS to begin with, but still, Ugh.

Drunken Lullabies fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 8, 2012

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Have you tried going through Samsung for a warranty? I don't really know how that process works or what their policy is on cracked screens. All I know is when I tried to RMA laptops, they'd ask if there was a point of impact in the crack. As in, where something smashed into it and cracks spidered out. But yours sounds like it's just a straight crack across the screen and maybe that is covered.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Drunken Lullabies posted:

So I have a galaxy nexus that's maybe 2 months old, and two things have happened to it so far:

- The screen cracked in half while the phone was in my pocket. Like, in baggy/loose jeans while I was standing. The touch screen started to mess up a lot in the area it cracked before it did, leading me to believe it was caused by a manufacturer defect. I know this because the crack happened right where my keyboard is, and the area where the screen later cracked would always replace my swypes with random letters and spaces, kind of like "hey how's it go U U U U U U"

- Right after that happened, it also decided that it isn't going to charge while powered on anymore. Not on USB, or AC. Tried the stock cable, and about 15 other ac adapters that came with droids I've owned in the past. Tried a bunch of random solutions to this problem from the internet and nothing really worked. This problem is intermittent too.
edit: now it appears to have stopped charging while turned off, and it's become a brick or something.

I took it into one verizon store and they want to make me pay almost 100 dollars for a refurbished phone. I don't know, I think that's kind of bullshit when they sold me an obviously defective piece of hardware and I paid like 600 dollars for it because I didn't have a phone upgrade.

Is there any like, I don't know, phone line or address or something I can write to Verizon and let them know how I feel about that? I feel like my phone was VERY clearly defective but they don't want to honor the warranty and instead want to make me go through insurance & make me pay for it & give me a refurbished phone.

Oh if it matters I have the extended insurance on it.

I don't care about paying or whatever for a new phone, but I just don't want to go through refurb hell. Last time I got a refurb from verizon, I had to send it back 11 times before I received a working phone. Granted, that was a droid X2 which is kind of a POS to begin with, but still, Ugh.

Call VZW for a warranty replacement. Stores won't do anything unless your account is noted by a CS rep over the phone.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

BoyBlunder posted:

Call VZW for a warranty replacement. Stores won't do anything unless your account is noted by a CS rep over the phone.

Er, warranty doesn't cover physical damage of any kind. Insurance replacement with the $99 deductible is the best option.

If you don't tell tech support your phone is physically damaged and get them to send a free warranty replacement you still have to send back the damaged device. When the returns warehouse gets this they will take pictures of the damage, email them to you and charge you a $299 damaged device fee.

Respect your expensive electronics and don't toss them in your jorts with keys/rocks/shuriken/caltrops/etc.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Ever since I went to ics on my razr, i have yet to see 4G data in use, despite being in the same areas I always am where I used it previously.

Is this just ics dropping me down to the better signal or am I missing some fundamental setting. I did verify my data type is set to cmda /LTE but i only see 1x and 3g connections

And my 3g signal is terrible

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.

kstatix posted:

I also work for verizon and I could give two shits about my employer[…]

What's your employee ID? I would love to forward this on to the higher ups. :)

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Watch Out Smarmy posted:

Er, warranty doesn't cover physical damage of any kind. Insurance replacement with the $99 deductible is the best option.

If you don't tell tech support your phone is physically damaged and get them to send a free warranty replacement you still have to send back the damaged device. When the returns warehouse gets this they will take pictures of the damage, email them to you and charge you a $299 damaged device fee.

Respect your expensive electronics and don't toss them in your jorts with keys/rocks/shuriken/caltrops/etc.

The reason why I suggested calling for a warranty replacement was because it doesn't sound like his screen broke by his own doing. It sounds like it was faulty, and then poo poo the bucket.

However, if it spiderwebbed or something, then yeah, that's on you.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

SpacedOut posted:

Might net yourself an interesting conversation if you've created this thread without the blessing of Corporate Communications. Not sure how being a tattle helps anyone here.

I had been debating switching to VZW when the presumed LTE iPhone hits, but these plans means I'd be adding $20-$30 monthly compared to my current AT&T bill (single, low voice & text user). Might be able to justify some of that by adding an iPad to the plan. Can iPads be added and removed at will from the plan, or are there caveats like it restarting the contract clock or being locked in for the contract duration?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Verizon is turning into a mustachioed villain more and more every day.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/07/09/verizon-support-blames-samsung-for-bootloader-lock-workaround-potentially-found-bounty-placed/

They are blaming the locked bootloader on Samsung despite Samsung saying Verizon requested it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

bull3964 posted:

They are blaming the locked bootloader on Samsung despite Samsung saying Verizon requested it.
Let's see how they react to the workaround. It's one thing for it to just be "there". It's another to antagonistically push a fix out real quick like.

sturgeon general
Jun 27, 2005

Smells like sushi.
The WiFi Off notification isn't as annoying as I thought it would be. Of course it's always in the ongoing notifications, but the icon doesn't show in the notification bar at all.

One thing to DEFINITELY turn off is the "Notify Me" option under WiFi settings. That's the really loving annoying one that prompts you to join a WiFi network every time you launch an internet app. Also I was able to disable all of the Verizon apps except visual voicemail, mobile hotspot and Guided Tours, so take that as you will.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

sniperchance posted:

Also I was able to disable all of the Verizon apps except visual voicemail, mobile hotspot and Guided Tours, so take that as you will.

Verizon said that they wanted the disable feature because users were complaining that they couldn't remove certain built-in applications. Then they have Samsung break it. Awesome.

e: also if there were three that you couldn't disable, how many were there that you could?

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 9, 2012

sturgeon general
Jun 27, 2005

Smells like sushi.
I disabled the standard VCAST apps like VZ Navigator and My Verizon. I'm guessing the apps like Mobile Hotspot and Voicemail are marked as "essential" since they do supplant the standard Android counterparts that you'd see on the Nexus.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Is there a trick to activating phones that I'm not aware of?

e: nevermind. activated it manually instead.

bsamu fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 9, 2012

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

sniperchance posted:

I disabled the standard VCAST apps like VZ Navigator and My Verizon. I'm guessing the apps like Mobile Hotspot and Voicemail are marked as "essential" since they do supplant the standard Android counterparts that you'd see on the Nexus.
There's not really any "essential" applications--on the Nexus you can even disable the phone application. Apparently Verizon doesn't want you to disable those particular ones because they are ways for you to spend more money.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Verizon is starting to feel the heat if they think they need to issue a statement.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/07/09/verizon-locks-bootloaders-because-unapproved-software-on-devices-will-ruin-the-earth/

quote:

Verizon Wireless has established a standard of excellence in customer experience with our branded devices and customer service. There is an expectation that if a customer has a question, they can call Verizon Wireless for answers that help them maximize their enjoyment and use of their wireless phone. Depending on the device, an open boot loader could prevent Verizon Wireless from providing the same level of customer experience and support because it would allow users to change the phone or otherwise modify the software and, potentially, negatively impact how the phone connects with the network. The addition of unapproved software could also negatively impact the wireless experience for other customers. It is always a delicate balance for any company to manage the technology choices we make for our branded devices and the requests of a few who may want a different device experience. We always review our technology choices to ensure that we provide the best solution for as many customers as possible.

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:

Which is the same that they said in regards to the complaint back in February apparently:

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/02/29/letter-from-verizon-to-fcc-details-their-stance-on-bootloaders/

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Roundboy posted:

Ever since I went to ics on my razr, i have yet to see 4G data in use, despite being in the same areas I always am where I used it previously.

Is this just ics dropping me down to the better signal or am I missing some fundamental setting. I did verify my data type is set to cmda /LTE but i only see 1x and 3g connections

And my 3g signal is terrible

Quoting myself to say I compared my phone to my identical wife's phone. Both got the ota upgrade.

She has the lte baseband while mine just has CDMA N 05 11 01P. No lte

How can no force a baseband upgrade?

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
So I've been using the mobile hotspot to feed my desktop computer (no home internet). It dawned on me that I can use Gmail to make outgoing phone calls (Google Voice) and not use air time minutes. Now, I'm a firm believer in using what you pay for. But it's almost cheating. Should I expect some sort of backlash from Verizon? I doubt they would even know because it's just going to show up as data..

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Roundboy posted:

Motorola devices don't have easy ways to force a radio update. I can describe a method for you, but I hope you're willing to root to back up your data in order to do it.

Also there's a chance that the LTE portion of the phone is fried, hence no listing for the LTE baseband in the first place.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Roundboy posted:

Quoting myself to say I compared my phone to my identical wife's phone. Both got the ota upgrade.

She has the lte baseband while mine just has CDMA N 05 11 01P. No lte

SBF to the release or a previous version and accept the upgrade again? Something like that.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
ill give anything a try at the moment. I did a factory reset, and im attempting to downgrade or maybe try the new ics leak.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

BoyBlunder posted:

The reason why I suggested calling for a warranty replacement was because it doesn't sound like his screen broke by his own doing. It sounds like it was faulty, and then poo poo the bucket.

However, if it spiderwebbed or something, then yeah, that's on you.

There are a few rare instances of things like stress cracks on hinges being covered by warranty but operational surfaces like touchscreens are built to be as sturdy as loving possible. Samsung also does not have a track record of making devices that collapse into a pile of dust if you breathe on them wrong.

Of course a smartphone assembled like a Popsicle-stick bomb slipping past QA is possible but highly unlikely.

All of the other things other than the physical damage Drunken Lullabies mentions went wrong with the device are covered by warranty but the actual damage that happened within those jorts whether it was an ill-timed lap dance stripper-rear end slam down or getting punched by a roaming midget boxer all void the warranty.

I'm not trying to be accusatory by any means only informative. :eng101:

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

SpacedOut posted:

Really, bro? Do you think everyone must absolutely love their job and think every higher-up decision is gold? People can be good at their job but loving loathe management, like oh I don't know every single person in the world practically.

Sounds like the dude just realizes all the poo poo Verizon is trying to pull lately.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.

Rent posted:

Really, bro? Do you think everyone must absolutely love their job and think every higher-up decision is gold? People can be good at their job but loving loathe management, like oh I don't know every single person in the world practically.

Sounds like the dude just realizes all the poo poo Verizon is trying to pull lately.

It was a joke. Calm down, bro.

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe
My new phone came in today and it doesn't want to activate, which apparently isn't out of the ordinary.

Nothing stupid is going to happen to my unlimited if I go to the website and activate it that way, will it? My old phone was a Droid X with no SIM card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sturgeon general
Jun 27, 2005

Smells like sushi.

slovach posted:

My new phone came in today and it doesn't want to activate, which apparently isn't out of the ordinary.

Nothing stupid is going to happen to my unlimited if I go to the website and activate it that way, will it? My old phone was a Droid X with no SIM card.

I was having that problem too. I know I activated a 4G SIM on one of my 3G lines back in December without losing Unlimited, but that might have changed.

• Locked thread