Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Dr. Fingerguns posted:

One thing that I've always wondered: in TV shows like NCIS or CSI or movies like any of the three from the Bourne trilogy, there is inevitably a scene where someone is doing something on a computer, wether it's tracking someone or searching someone's background or getting a big ACCESS DENIED alert on their screen.

My question is, where does this fake cinematic software come from? Are there companies that make this for specific movies? Is it possible to download it? Any other information about this would be appreciated, because that's something that I've been wondering for a while.

This is becoming a huge, niche market for motion designers. It's great. Here are some others, apart from Coleran linked earlier (who was really the first person to be known specifically for doing fantasy UI [FUI] work).

Specific people:
Paul Beaudry - Hunger Games, Avatar, Spy Kids 4
Jayse Hansen - Avengers, Rise of the Apes, Wall Street II, Contagion, 2012
Stephen Dube - Splinter Cell, Front Mission, GI Joe
Ash Thorp - Prometheus

Other stuff:
Interview with Territory Studio on their Prometheus work.
Perception NYC case study on motion & interface design for Iron Man 2
Inventing Interactive - Blog dedicated to interface work
HUDs & GUIs - Blog dedicated to (usually fictional) interface work

Sorry for the link dump-- if you want more / are interested further, contact me by PM and I can give more links and/or info. I don't want to block up this thread with my fixations. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
:siren:

Please take the crime/drug/whatever discussion elsewhere. Maybe you could have a "Tell me about the drug problem in your community" thread so you could find out exactly how unique whatever blah blah I don't even care but there's madposts in here where there should be mostly helpposts so :frogout:

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

cucka posted:

My town has a very unique problem that nobody trusts the police, and they are not going to talk to them, especially the people in the drug community.

cucka posted:

What you have to consider, and it's information I withheld, is that my home state has a unique condition in that it's a medical marijuana state.

cucka posted:

I am in a unique and privileged place.

cucka posted:

My unique problem is that the cops are untrusted and don't have the funding and resources to piece this together.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Travakian posted:

This is becoming a huge, niche market for motion designers. It's great. Here are some others, apart from Coleran linked earlier (who was really the first person to be known specifically for doing fantasy UI [FUI] work).

Specific people:
Paul Beaudry - Hunger Games, Avatar, Spy Kids 4
Jayse Hansen - Avengers, Rise of the Apes, Wall Street II, Contagion, 2012
Stephen Dube - Splinter Cell, Front Mission, GI Joe
Ash Thorp - Prometheus

Other stuff:
Interview with Territory Studio on their Prometheus work.
Perception NYC case study on motion & interface design for Iron Man 2
Inventing Interactive - Blog dedicated to interface work
HUDs & GUIs - Blog dedicated to (usually fictional) interface work

Sorry for the link dump-- if you want more / are interested further, contact me by PM and I can give more links and/or info. I don't want to block up this thread with my fixations. :downs:

Along the same lines: Isn't the guy who designed the interface for Johnny Mnemonic, an otherwise craptacular movie, now in the business of trying to make something like that a reality?

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

:siren:

Please take the crime/drug/whatever discussion elsewhere. Maybe you could have a "Tell me about the drug problem in your community" thread so you could find out exactly how unique whatever blah blah I don't even care but there's madposts in here where there should be mostly helpposts so :frogout:

I want to start a thread eventually, if something comes of this. I just felt an effort to just probe into something like this wasn't thread worthy without results. I tried to find the appropriate thread to start my discussion, but if there are better suggestions for where I can take serious discussion by all means.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

http://www.komonews.com/news/national/Police-Hug-triggers-officers-gun-kills-woman-161742265.html posted:

- A woman celebrating the weekend before her 25th birthday was fatally shot Sunday when she hugged an off-duty police officer while dancing at a party, causing the officer's service weapon to fire, according to police and her mother.

Adaisha Miller would have turned 25 on Monday, according to her mother, Yolanda McNair.

The shooting happened at an outdoor social gathering about 12:30 a.m., said police Sgt. Eren Stephens. It happened on the city's west side.

According to Stephens, the woman "embraced the officer from behind, causing the holstered weapon to accidently discharge." The bullet punctured Miller's lung and hit her heart, and she died at a hospital.

Can someone explain how this could happen? It seems like it'd be really difficult to set off a holstered weapon and kill someone with it.

edit: better article here, apparently she hugged him from behind and his waist-holstered gun managed to hit her in the heart?

http://www.freep.com/article/20120708/NEWS01/120708029/Woman-killed-party-after-off-duty-Detroit-police-officer-s-gun-discharges posted:

Police said that Miller hugged the officer -- whose name has not been released -- from behind as he was dancing, and the gun discharged.

However, McNair said she also was told her daughter “was being a little flirty” with the officer and the gun fired as they were in a face-to-face hug.
Goldpaugh, who spent several hours with the officer after the shooting, said the veteran beat patrolman was hosting a party at his home and was dancing with his wife when Miller came up behind him and tugged at his waist.

“And the gun went off,” Goldpaugh said. “It’s a fluke accidental shooting.”

The weapon, a department-issued, 40-caliber Smith & Wesson semiautomatic pistol, was in a holster worn inside the officer’s waistband and was covered by his shirt, Goldpaugh said.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 9, 2012

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Xandu posted:

Can someone explain how this could happen? It seems like it'd be really difficult to set off a holstered weapon and kill someone with it.

edit: better article here, apparently she hugged him from behind and his waist-holstered gun managed to hit her in the heart?

You're right, the physics just doesn't work out. First of all, the officer would have to be using a soft holster. That's a given.

I have done some careful calculations based on the bullet path. This was put into a program that does computer-generated procedural drawings using a monte carlo simulation. The mathematics, surprisingly, favor only one arrangement. Here are some of my calculations followed by a diagram of my computer's startling output:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jesus Christ ahahahahahaha

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK
Holy poo poo, I wish we could goldmine that post.

But still, it makes you wonder why he didn't have the safety on. Unless he's Cyrus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47Yxa9IeJEc

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How does the solubility of something affect your ability to digest it?

For example, does a vitamin dissolving more quickly in a glass of water than another vitamin actually mean anything scientific about its effectiveness?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
It does have effect. Your stomach lining processes some stuff like alcohol, so if it's dissolved it will be absorbed more quickly into your bloodstream. Also, think about corn for instance. The shell consists of cellulose, which doesn't dissolve in either oils or water. This means it can't easily be broken down by the enzymes in your digestive system. You actually need a high temperature or symbotic micro-organisms (like herbivores have) to break the cellulose into tinier pieces that are digestible. This means you crap out the shells whole, as they don't dissolve.

For your example, it depends. Your stomach contains not only water, but also a strong acid. This will greatly change the way lots of things, especially proteins. This is also apparent if you ever had tough meat marinated with an acidic marinade. For instance, cheap steak can be soaked in a vinegar solution to really soften it up.

Vitamin pills are all designed to be digested totally, so the only difference is where/how quickly it will be absorbed. In the stomach, start of the bowels, end of the bowels. For vitamins it doesn't matter at all. For painkillers this does. That's also the reason why the liquid-in-capsule painkillers often work faster.

Samopsa fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 9, 2012

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Thank you for brightening my Monday!

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thank you very much for the explanation.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I know there's a careers subforum but the small/stupid questions megathread is here.

You know how some websites have a careers section that never really changes? They usually have some common jobs listed and they're just like "send us an email and drop us your resume at thisHR@address.com" or something like that? If I'm still seeking a job, should I resend an email every couple months or how often? Or should I just send it once and assume that it's still on record?

Of course assuming I had nothing significant to change in my resume/cover letter since then.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Update your cover letter and/or send a customized e-mail saying that you're interested, state why you'd be a good match, etc. That way you're on the radar again and they know you've taken the effort to do that.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I'm looking for more from this artist. I know they have a site, but I must have deleted the bookmark.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

N. Senada posted:

I'm looking for more from this artist. I know they have a site, but I must have deleted the bookmark.

I love stuff like this. Hopefully someone can answer you because this dark absurd horror stuff is my favourite thing in the world.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

N. Senada posted:

http://unomoralez.com/

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
I was thinking of Junji Ito (The Enigma of Amigara Fault, etc.), but it looks like MrGreenShirt was right.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Thank you so much

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

Noni posted:

You're right, the physics just doesn't work out. First of all, the officer would have to be using a soft holster. That's a given.

I have done some careful calculations based on the bullet path. This was put into a program that does computer-generated procedural drawings using a monte carlo simulation. The mathematics, surprisingly, favor only one arrangement. Here are some of my calculations followed by a diagram of my computer's startling output:

Standing ovation.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Something is growing in one of the buckets of gross water that's sitting around in my Mum's garden.

http://i.imgur.com/AFz2P.jpg

Anybody got any idea what it is?

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

ineptmule posted:

Something is growing in one of the buckets of gross water that's sitting around in my Mum's garden.

http://i.imgur.com/AFz2P.jpg

Anybody got any idea what it is?

Judging by science it could be this.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

I don't know, it could just as well be this.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

You should dump that regardless because standing water is where the worst types of mosquitoes come from.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How can I figure out what firmware version my Kindle Touch has?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Manslaughter posted:

You should dump that regardless because standing water is where the worst types of mosquitoes come from.
All mosquitos more like.

You can control mosquitos by adding minnows though, if the water has to stay. They cost like $0.15 at Petco.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
The water does not have to stay. My mum is dreadful at getting rid of things though.

Can I just pour this away or will that only serve to inflame the anger of the growing menace?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

hooah posted:

How can I figure out what firmware version my Kindle Touch has?

Menu > Settings > Menu > Device info

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

ineptmule posted:

The water does not have to stay. My mum is dreadful at getting rid of things though.

Can I just pour this away or will that only serve to inflame the anger of the growing menace?

Pour it down the toilet. If the menace gets angrier, it will be nowhere near you. :D

INeedANewCrayon
Sep 6, 2005

Insert witty saying here
I want to learn how to create more advanced macros in Excel. I currently know how to record a macro and have cannibalized other people's macros to make my own. Would it be helpful to take a VBA class? I know this seems like a REALLY stupid question, but I just wanted to double check before I pay for and attend a Visual Basic Programming class for 16 weeks.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I'm looking for a quote. I can't remember where I heard it, or whether I possibly misread another quote, or maybe I just made it up. I can't remember the exact wording or who said it, but it's something to the effect of, "The greatest joy of being a man is being able to take pleasure in the beauty of a woman." Those aren't the exact words, but that's the basic sentiment. I think I remember it being a fairly old (if not very old) quote. Does anybody have any idea?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

INeedANewCrayon posted:

I want to learn how to create more advanced macros in Excel. I currently know how to record a macro and have cannibalized other people's macros to make my own. Would it be helpful to take a VBA class? I know this seems like a REALLY stupid question, but I just wanted to double check before I pay for and attend a Visual Basic Programming class for 16 weeks.
Your question seems to have 2 parts: (1) Will knowing VBA help you make more advanced macros than simple recordings and modifying existing ones? Unequivocally, yes. (2) Should you (pay to) take a VBA class? That depends. Probably not, at least not until you've tried and failed to teach yourself to do what you want using the thousands of free and awesome guides and tutorials and resources available online.

Personally the thought of 4 months of VBA instruction makes me nauseous and anxious as hell to get out because I learned what I needed by trying, failing, pressing F1, googling, lathering, rinsing, and repeating and it took nowhere near that long and I can do everything I need, and know how to get info (immediately, and for free) when I need to do something new. v:shobon:v it's worth a shot to see what you can do yourself, but if you need super advanced stuff (?) or aren't motivated and need someone to force you to do it maybe a class you paid for will help.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
Are there any not-atrocious free web hosting services anymore? I just need to make a one shot website for a class I'm in so people can take a survey.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
If you just want to make a survey, there are free survey sites. I think Google even has a service for that.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

tarepanda posted:

If you just want to make a survey, there are free survey sites. I think Google even has a service for that.
Cursory look at the google survey page says I have to pay for every response I get. Its, presumably, faster (roughly ~30 minutes) for me to create an entire website than wade through all of the "free" survey sites to find one that will let me post the amount of questions with the answers I want them to have.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Over the weekend I watched the movie Tangled with my family.

I remember seeing it in theaters and noting that, if it hadn't been for the lizard in the last seen (blushing and covering his eyes...but not all the way), the princess/thief would have had the first unchaperoned kiss I could recall ever seeing in a Disney movie.

When I saw the DVD cut, I noticed that they'd apparently cut the lizard out of that last moment.

Am I crazy? Did I imagine it in the theater, or did I just miss it on the DVD?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

INeedANewCrayon posted:

VBA is a potentially useful thing to know, but I wouldn't bother with a class unless you can get work to pay for it. I taught myself Access VBA without too much trouble (I already knew VB though, so that certainly helped a lot). I used to have a book from Wrox I think focusing on Excel VBA, which I recall being pretty decent. This was years ago though, so I have no idea what would be the go-to text for Excel 2007 or 2010.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Drimble Wedge posted:

Question: I work from home and I use one of these when I do calls. A few days ago I started noticing a hum or buzz on the line which is not there when the phone cord is plugged directly into a phone instead of the pad. Nothing has changed in the environment where the pad is; computer speakers are not on, and I've checked the phone jack. There are no fluorescent lights nearby. Any ideas what could be causing the humming/buzzing?

Base Emitter posted:

Is the pad connected to anything that has a power connection? Could be a ground loop.

Thanks! How would I even check for that? The only things connected to the pad are my headset and the phone line. However, I have figured out that it only buzzes now when the computer is on. I'm not sure where to go from here. As I mentioned, nothing has changed in my workspace.

Drimble Wedge fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jul 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

ladyweapon posted:

Are there any not-atrocious free web hosting services anymore? I just need to make a one shot website for a class I'm in so people can take a survey.

Counterpoint: it doesn't matter if it's atrocious, you only have to put up with it for like a week. Google "free webhosting" plus whatever specific features you'll need (PHP, MySql, etc.), and create an account on whatever the first hit is. If it has terrible popunder ads inserted into every page, move onto number 2 on the list.