Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinar
Sep 9, 2007
Black Cat, if you want to train for that do boxing or something. It'll make you more confident in yourself and you'll realise just how easy it can be for someone to knock you out in one punch. You could also try BJJ and remember that everytime someone passes your guard or makes you tap would end pretty badly for you in a real fight.

The more you train, the more you realise that you never want to fight in real life. Bar fighting has no rules, you're not guaranteed to fight just one guy and there are real consequences to your actions. If there's a bouncer where you work, just ask him to remove them from the premises. It's simpler, safer and you get to kick them out without the risk of you getting charged with assault or losing a few teeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Not sure if this is an annoying question that is asked often, but can anyone suggest (or help me figure out which ones are poo poo) a BJJ/Muay Thai school in Raleigh, NC? Looking through Google I found a few places, but majority of them seemed lovely, with a couple standing out (to me at least):

http://gracieraleigh.com/about - Might not be as good as it seems, but I'll be transferring to NCSU myself and I thought that'd be pretty cool.

http://www.forgednc.com/about-forged-fitness-2/

Others were focused entirely on kids it seemed, a bit shady with not much said about their instructors/school and another had just one instructor while offering a dozen of all kinds of different classes. Not sure what accreditation body handles them, apologies if it's easy to Google but I can't seem to find it.

Black Cat
Mar 22, 2012

Yuns posted:

Black Cat I definitely do think you should take a martial art like BJJ or muay thai or boxing. I think it'll be great for you. I suspect you'll end up in a different place than where you started. You may want to defend yourself from mouth drunks and talk back to them but I guarantee you that after training in a martial art for a while you'll be stronger, more confident, more relaxed and less stressed. I suspect by that point you just won't care about their comments and you'll be less likely to fight. So seriously go out and train. If you are in Texas go train with Draculino if you are near his school.

In my first post I think I came across as way too anxious to insult people. Hell if people wouldn't follow me around the place I work as stated above I probably wouldn't care nearly as much. But it seems that, about once a month, I'm forced to run a 1-2% chance of getting in a fight.

And I would feel a lot more comfortable knowing I wouldnt have to resort to bottle swinging or face biting if anything did happen.

McNerd posted:

I don't know what to say except reiterate the concluding paragraph of my last post. No martial art can make it safe or advisable to get into a bar fight. If we're talking multiple attackers, no martial art will even give you equal odds of a good outcome in general. And we're talking at least a year and probably more before you can reasonably be called "proficient."

Again, its nothing I ever want to happen. But applying this logic to another scenario, lets say that since car accidents end poorly for everyone, we all might as well drive motorcycles.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Black Cat posted:

If I told them to gently caress off I'm sure 98% of the time they would, but there's the chance they'd be drunk enough to swing. I'd much rather know what I was doing than transform into the windmill monster and risk both of us getting hurt worse than we need to.

See, all these MA goons just want to keep the true secrets to self defense for themselves, but I'm looking out for you and you won't even need to join a club to learn or practice it, either:

You walk/run away. That is ALWAYS the appropriate response. This isn't Roadhouse and you're not Patrick Swayze.

What is your job title? What do you do? Because what you're describing makes no sense for a FoH position. You get mistaken for a busboy? You make 30-45K a year? Your customer base includes loadmouth drunks, itching to get in a fight, but you don't have a bouncer and (especially) management doesn't even try to deal with them? These times really don't paint a clear picture.

And you're "hoped for scenario" is you looking for a fight, plan and simple. It wouldn't matter that he swung first, you asked him to. You'll both be equally at fault.

And yes, you do need to start learning an MA like judo or boxing or BJJ, anything that has full resistance sparring, because you need an outlet for this.

entris posted:

If you are going to stay at that job, you absolutely do not need to be getting into physical alterations with customers - nor should you be provoking them with your rapier-like wit and biting comebacks. The owner of the bar has absolutely zero interest in defending against tort suits because one of his employees decided to mouth off to annoying customers. You will lose your job very quickly if you hurt a customer.

Listen to entris up there. Management and senior employees might be telling you that the store has your back, but when push comes to shove, you'll be tossed under the bus. Don't fight customers. Don't pick fights with customers.

Black Cat
Mar 22, 2012

BirdOfPlay posted:

See, all these MA goons just want to keep the true secrets to self defense for themselves, but I'm looking out for you and you won't even need to join a club to learn or practice it, either:

You walk/run away. That is ALWAYS the appropriate response. This isn't Roadhouse and you're not Patrick Swayze.

What is your job title? What do you do? Because what you're describing makes no sense for a FoH position. You get mistaken for a busboy? You make 30-45K a year? Your customer base includes loadmouth drunks, itching to get in a fight, but you don't have a bouncer and (especially) management doesn't even try to deal with them? These times really don't paint a clear picture.

And you're "hoped for scenario" is you looking for a fight, plan and simple. It wouldn't matter that he swung first, you asked him to. You'll both be equally at fault.

And yes, you do need to start learning an MA like judo or boxing or BJJ, anything that has full resistance sparring, because you need an outlet for this.

Listen to entris up there. Management and senior employees might be telling you that the store has your back, but when push comes to shove, you'll be tossed under the bus. Don't fight customers. Don't pick fights with customers.

Server/Barback/Bartender in training.

I give too much room for argument in my posts. I really should just have said, "I work in the service industry and drunks get violent sometimes. I'd absolutely love to know how to tackle and guard so I'm not scared shitless the first time I get swung at."

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Take that money and invest it in penis enlargement pills so you won't care about some dude at a bar.

Comrade_Robot
Mar 18, 2009

Karl Sharks posted:

Not sure if this is an annoying question that is asked often, but can anyone suggest (or help me figure out which ones are poo poo) a BJJ/Muay Thai school in Raleigh, NC? Looking through Google I found a few places, but majority of them seemed lovely, with a couple standing out (to me at least):

http://gracieraleigh.com/about - Might not be as good as it seems, but I'll be transferring to NCSU myself and I thought that'd be pretty cool.

Others were focused entirely on kids it seemed, a bit shady with not much said about their instructors/school and another had just one instructor while offering a dozen of all kinds of different classes. Not sure what accreditation body handles them, apologies if it's easy to Google but I can't seem to find it.

Those two are good choices; Brandon Garner is an amazingly talented jiujitsu player. So are Billy and Jason at Forged. Gracie Raleigh is newer and, if I recall correctly, a bit smaller. I'd suggest stopping by both and seeing which one you like more.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
God I'm having an awful time with shinguards. My first pair from Combat Sports or some poo poo disintegrated like three weeks into my having them, and even though they were supposed to be still under warrantee or whatever the assholes never returned any of my emails or calls. So then I moved on to Hayabusa and got the M/S size since the Combat Sports Large size was way too big. But these were too small (yes its like the three bears fairy tale) and are starting to shred and are in general just a major pain in the rear end to get on and off.

So now I'm thinking about getting a pair of those King shinguards but I can't decide on M or L. I'm 5'8" with little midget legs, any thoughts?

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Black Cat posted:

Server/Barback/Bartender in training.

I give too much room for argument in my posts. I really should just have said, "I work in the service industry and drunks get violent sometimes. I'd absolutely love to know how to tackle and guard so I'm not scared shitless the first time I get swung at."

You should definitely learn a martial art it may not give you the tools you require to deal with this drunkies you have to deal with but it will help if you feel under threat, I myself work in a police custody center so deal with mostly drunk violent crazies all the time, prior to this i was in an immigration center dealing with desperate angry immigrants, To date I have never and hopefully will never use any of my training in the workplace but the fact that I do it makes me feel more confident in my work wenvironment.

The first thing I would check out is the Laws of your country in regards to physical confrontation, here in the UK we have common law which states that a person is allowed to use "reasonable force" if they genuinely believe that their life or the life of others are in danger.
Are there security camera's in your place of work? learning how to play up to them a bit may help out simple things like backing away and using an open hand fighting stance (Muay Thai) appear more defensive on camera than say jumping onto someone and biting their cheek off.
I notice someone mentioned Roadhouse well much like Swayze you must always be nice to these people be over the top nice, you are going to seeth inside(but who gives a gently caress your gonna go pound the crap out of a bag after your shift) your second best asset is your ability to talk yourself out of a confrontation (the first best being your legs which allow you to walk/run away) use this trust me I've seen where being a mouthy c*nt gets you in my job and it aint pretty.

so yeah learn a Martial Art even if the reasons you state are the catalyst for your training I'm sure you'll change your tune a few month's in

Apologies if this is a bit ranty its 4am on a nightshift....

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Ugh I don't even know what to post without coming over as super defensive. Obviously me falling on my rear end like that is lovely. Let's hope I do better next time.

Illumination
Jan 26, 2009

Kekekela posted:

God I'm having an awful time with shinguards. My first pair from Combat Sports or some poo poo disintegrated like three weeks into my having them, and even though they were supposed to be still under warrantee or whatever the assholes never returned any of my emails or calls. So then I moved on to Hayabusa and got the M/S size since the Combat Sports Large size was way too big. But these were too small (yes its like the three bears fairy tale) and are starting to shred and are in general just a major pain in the rear end to get on and off.

So now I'm thinking about getting a pair of those King shinguards but I can't decide on M or L. I'm 5'8" with little midget legs, any thoughts?

Get medium.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

It's a bit mean to pick apart a person's first MMA fight other than to give constructive criticism. It's a pretty big deal to even get in there at all, let alone to win.

To the bar guy, choose one of these:

boxing
kickboxing
muay thai

and choose one of these:

judo
wrestling
bjj

and do both.

There's not really a "defensive" martial art that works. All of those can be offensive or defensive situationally.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

niethan posted:

Ugh I don't even know what to post without coming over as super defensive. Obviously me falling on my rear end like that is lovely. Let's hope I do better next time.

I pretty much agree with manyak. You need to take a look inside and see if you really want to fight. Training to be fit is just as awesome but someone of us don't have that inner agression to tap into and be able to try and gently caress another man up.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
drat I'm sure I sound like such a hippie for saying this but aggression isn't the only way- you can also fight for the sheer joy of it (and you'll even retain the adrenaline boost). Many of us got into fighting because we're body mechanics nerds, and it's the cerebral and physical challenge of MMA that calls to us, not loving people up and winning trophies.

I think I agree with your sentiment though encouraging niethan to tap into whatever drives him, whether that means envisioning his opponent as his worst enemy or developing a calculated gameplan.

CivilDisobedience fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jul 10, 2012

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Black Cat posted:

I've asked around, as this hasn't just happened once. A couple managers and employees say just drop whatever your doing around them, walk away, and refuse to talk them. If they continue, just tell them to stop talking to you or to leave you alone, etc. One manager and a couple other employees said say whatever you want and if they try to swing beat their rear end.

I'm making 30k-45k a year here, for the last 9 years I've never made more than 12k at a job. I'd literally get my rear end kicked at work if I needed to.

I didn't expect so much vehemence to my post, I guess I've been away from SA too long. It'd be one thing if I was asking about which MA I should start with so that I could shatter a guys skull with my elbow, but all I'm looking for is some direction into quickly ending a barfight with everyone receiving the lowest amount of physical harm.

Imagine this conversation:

Your manager is a dumb, belligerent arsehole.

No competent teacher of any worthwhile martial art is going to encourage you to use said martial art outside of a controlled environment. People really don't appreciate how dangerous fighting actually is. This poo poo will get you crippled or killed. This is the reason people who know better will tell you to walk away no matter what. Those drunk arseholes are following you around asking why you haven't hit them yet because they want you to hit them. They know something you don't about what's going to happen after that, so don't hit them. You don't need to be Bruce Lee to work this out.

Go and learn a martial art with full resistance sparring just so you can appreciate how easy it is to get severely injured in a fight and then tell your manager to gently caress off.

Do what the other guys said. Pick one of Muay Thai/Boxing/Kickboxing and one of Judo/Wrestling/BJJ and learn both together for a while, then stick to whatever you're having fun with. If anything it'll give you an appreciation of how dangerous things are when your opponent isn't someone who'll respect you tapping out.

Edit: Also consider the fact that once someone has been asked to leave private property, they're breaking the law if they don't. In Australia that applies tenfold to places with liquor licenses. Check your local laws and see if the same thing applies. If it does, ask them to leave and when they say "gently caress you, bitch" go call the cops. Cops love beating the poo poo out of people who refuse to cooperate; let them have their fun.

Smegmatron fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jul 10, 2012

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CivilDisobedience posted:

drat I'm sure I sound like such a hippie for saying this but aggression isn't the only way- you can also fight for the sheer joy of it (and you'll even retain the adrenaline boost). Many of us got into fighting because we're body mechanics nerds, and it's the cerebral and physical challenge of MMA that calls to us, not loving people up and winning trophies.

I think I agree with your sentiment though encouraging niethan to tap into whatever drives him, whether that means envisioning his opponent as his worst enemy or developing a calculated gameplan.

well then you can be a body mechanic nerd in grappling competition or those shooto style rules, but you better want to hurt that fat brawler bullrushing you instead of crumbling if you're planning on doing something dangerous like real MMA

bartender guy: by the time you'll be proficient enough at a martial art to comfortably deal with those assholes, you'll hopefully have found another job. your motivation sucks

king shinguards: I'm 6'3 and wear L, so either M or S...or just look for websites that have sizing.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

KidDynamite posted:

I pretty much agree with manyak. You need to take a look inside and see if you really want to fight. Training to be fit is just as awesome but someone of us don't have that inner agression to tap into and be able to try and gently caress another man up.

There's also nothing wrong with this. I quit fighting and became a trainer for this exact reason.

But niethan, man, you seriously need to change gyms. You are just awful for someone who has been training as long as you have been posting. Either your current gym threw you to the dogs and didn't care, or they have no fight prep skills whatsoever.

At this point, you'd do a lot better shadow boxing and running. You look gassed after 2 min and look like you can cut weight.

Where in Germany are you?

Dyllyn
Mar 28, 2009

Greatness is always within Reach
Hi guys. Just got into my first serious fist fight where both parties were actively trying to hurt each other. It was messy since both of us don't have training with fists. I managed to get my left hand on his chest/shirt and pull him down so I was able to rain right punches on his face (his left check and eye is black now) but after like 15 straight jabs to the face and some random grappling, neither of us was at the point where we were gonna just give up and stop fighting, we had to be pulled apart.

My question is, what are things you can look out for to end a sloppy fist fight quickly? I really didn't enjoy the fight at all, and would have preferred that it ended quicker.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Dyllyn posted:

Hi guys. Just got into my first serious fist fight where both parties were actively trying to hurt each other. It was messy since both of us don't have training with fists. I managed to get my left hand on his chest/shirt and pull him down so I was able to rain right punches on his face (his left check and eye is black now) but after like 15 straight jabs to the face and some random grappling, neither of us was at the point where we were gonna just give up and stop fighting, we had to be pulled apart.

My question is, what are things you can look out for to end a sloppy fist fight quickly? I really didn't enjoy the fight at all, and would have preferred that it ended quicker.

I recommend swallowing your pride and not fighting. If you had the guy in full mount you had plenty of time to stop swinging, say "alright enough, i'll get off you once you calm down" and then getting off him once you're sure he's calmed down. The shorter answer is that there's nothing you can learn from reading on the internet that will do this.

Here is how noted Cool Guy and BJJ expert Ryan Hall deals with it;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6nTpWs060o

Just don't, though. Step away whenever you can.

Smegmatron fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jul 10, 2012

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
I've started lifting weights regularly over the spring and summer and it's helped my wrestling so much it feels like cheating.

Why didn't i start doing this way earlier holy poo poo

Dyllyn
Mar 28, 2009

Greatness is always within Reach

Smegmatron posted:

I recommend swallowing your pride and not fighting. If you had the guy in full mount you had plenty of time to stop swinging, say "alright enough, i'll get off you once you calm down" and then getting off him once you're sure he's calmed down. The shorter answer is that there's nothing you can learn from reading on the internet that will do this.

Believe me, I tried. After walking away he came back for more 3 times, but no further punches were thrown after the 2nd time.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Smegmatron posted:

Uh, maintaining mount is not so easy without training (and it's not clear he was in mount). Also Ryan Hall let that guy up and then he was still belligerent so I'm not sure about the lesson you're drawing from this.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Black Cat posted:

Weird poo poo. I have a lot of friends who work in the service industry, many of them women but not all, and when drunks get annoying or start giving them - or other customers - poo poo, they are told to leave. After the first "rear end in a top hat bitch, do this!" they are told they are too drunk and impolite, please leave, and come back when you can behave yourself. The request is repeated until they either leave, or if it becomes apparent they will not respect the wishes of the staff, security shortly arrives and escorts them out. I don't even know what would happen if someone would start following staff around calling them names. Probably the security faster than you can blink or other customers would tell the idiot to shut up.

Is his not normal in Texas?

Sounds like you work in a saloon that has traveled in time and actually belongs in the Wild West era of history. Maybe there are underground bars somewhere (where I live) where it's ok for waiters to insult back and possibly KO drunk customers but poo poo.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

McNerd posted:

Uh, maintaining mount is not so easy without training (and it's not clear he was in mount). Also Ryan Hall let that guy up and then he was still belligerent so I'm not sure about the lesson you're drawing from this.

He asked for technique. It's a good one for that situation. See also the part where I said there was nothing useful he could learn from the internet.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

niethan posted:

How long have you been training and where? It was your first mma fight, for some people with the nerves and what not everything goes out the window which is understandable. That and you were playing up to the rules... which got you the win.

Fleshpeg
Oct 23, 2001
Stop harassing me!

Karl Sharks posted:

I train at Forged Fitness so I'm biased but it's generally the place in the area that most people would suggest. As someone said before, Billy and Jason are excellent instructors and there are a lot of talented lower belts there. I've never been to Gracie Raleigh so I don't have firsthand experience but I've learned a lot from Jason Wingate just from random open mats and when he filled in for classes at Forged. There's a fair bit of crossover between the two schools with people dropping in for open mats/classes but from what I understand, the vast majority of people at Gracie Raleigh are new white belts.

I'd stop in at both schools and see which fits you better personally. I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
I didn't realize there were so many people from Raleigh in this thread. Or anybody from NC at all really.

I used to do Muay Thai at NBS gym and I enjoyed it, but that was partially due to cheapness. Nice ghetto style boxing gym, at least one golden gloves champ training last time I was there. They don't do grappling though. I was too poor to afford any of the BJJ schools when I was at NCSU, and Forged Fitness was still Crossfit Raleigh at that point. I occasionally train with an amateur fighter named Casey Johnson, he's had a lot of good things to say about forged fitness and Sommai Muay Thai but I don't have any personal experience.

If you guys are ever in Greenville or New Bern feel free to drop by Moreno BJJ for a night.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

willie_dee posted:

How long have you been training and where? It was your first mma fight, for some people with the nerves and what not everything goes out the window which is understandable. That and you were playing up to the rules... which got you the win.

I agree with this. Your first fight or musical performance or basketball game means nothing because you're going to freak out so hard just by walking into the room. If you like it, do more. If you don't then stop but don't take your first try as a model. Plus, you won so whatever.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Guilty posted:

There's also nothing wrong with this. I quit fighting and became a trainer for this exact reason.

But niethan, man, you seriously need to change gyms. You are just awful for someone who has been training as long as you have been posting. Either your current gym threw you to the dogs and didn't care, or they have no fight prep skills whatsoever.

At this point, you'd do a lot better shadow boxing and running. You look gassed after 2 min and look like you can cut weight.

Where in Germany are you?

Stuttgart. I look like I can cut weight because the dude weighed more than me so why should I cut weight. Although I am flabby, that's true, I could stand to lose some weight.

I've been training mma for like 3 years but the last year mostly grappling, also I'm not one of the guys who's at the gym every night, more like twice a week max. I did go more often the two weeks leading up to the fight as soon as I knew about it.

Also Re: killer instinct or whatever: I didn't really have that "kill that fucker" feeling during this fight (and obviously not in sparring), so I guess I don't want to be a loving fighter.

niethan fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 10, 2012

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

niethan posted:

Also Re: killer instinct or whatever: I didn't really have that "kill that fucker" feeling during this fight (and obviously not in sparring), so I guess I don't want to be a loving fighter.

You got in the ring, you want to be a fighter more than almost anyone else who posts.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

willie_dee posted:

You got in the ring, you want to be a fighter more than almost anyone else who posts.
that's cool, I appreciate it, but please don't stalk me :ninja:

niethan fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 10, 2012

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

niethan posted:

that's cool, I appreciate it, but please don't stalk me :ninja:

Too late. He's already scrapbooking your discards from the trash.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
prefight prep talk

Putting in an early request:

on the 18th/19th every single post here needs to be about how much of a baller I am, how much rear end I kick etc

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I am actually your opponent in our combat sports match. I've been training whatever style of fighting we will do since the cradle under several world class instructors I am also related to. I have perfected a form of weight cutting that actually leaves me stronger and lighter when it's over. I know we are fighting because along with my perfect body, I have the intellectual capacity of a super villain.

Furthermore, I kissed your mom once.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Xguard86 posted:

I am actually your opponent in our combat sports match. I've been training whatever style of fighting we will do since the cradle under several world class instructors I am also related to. I have perfected a form of weight cutting that actually leaves me stronger and lighter when it's over. I know we are fighting because along with my perfect body, I have the intellectual capacity of a super villain.

Furthermore, I kissed your mom once.

I'm sorry, Fontoyn, but already I fought this guy and he destroyed me. I'm sorry your career has to end this way.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Fontoyn posted:

on the 18th/19th every single post here needs to be about how much of a baller I am, how much rear end I kick etc

Put up your first fight again, scout your opponent some for us, and put up some new sparring footage.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Bohemian Nights posted:

I'm sorry, Fontoyn, but already I fought this guy and he destroyed me. I'm sorry your career has to end this way.

It was a real war. Despite his Olympic medals and string of National and International titles in two weight classes higher than the one we're fighting at.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

niethan posted:

Stuttgart. I look like I can cut weight because the dude weighed more than me so why should I cut weight. Although I am flabby, that's true, I could stand to lose some weight.

I've been training mma for like 3 years but the last year mostly grappling, also I'm not one of the guys who's at the gym every night, more like twice a week max. I did go more often the two weeks leading up to the fight as soon as I knew about it.

You cut weight primarily because you want to be the biggest fucker in your weight category. The guys at the top are most likely to have the longest reach for striking. Also because carrying around fat isn't useful at all. If you can bring more muscle mass into the fight, more power to you, definitely do that. The only advantage is that you can carb load the night before.

Also, I would not let anyone who trains twice a week into any sort of fight in which striking is allowed. That's just retarded. You need to switch gyms before you get hurt, or even worse, lose your will to fight

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

niethan posted:

Do it if you have fun. You're never going to be a pro so there's no other reason. I know I get some aggressive release out of it but if you don't and you still enjoy it then whatever, props to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Thanks guys, just ordered some Medium King Shin Guards. :dance:

(third pair's a charm!)

• Locked thread