Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

d00gZ posted:

I wonder if he *really* had that Mysterio poo poo planned the whole way along. I'd have to reread all of it...

gently caress no he didn't. It doesn't line up with anything Ultimate Mysterio's done or said in his last appearances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Guess multi-person efforts are bound to go off the rails eventually, but even Bendis on his own is capable of that.

I guess it's when the world and characters have been established, it comes down to the normal rut of random "villain of the week" / arc stuff that you could just as well find in 616.

It's not like USM is the only long running series (Hell, not the only Spider-Man series) that's fallen victim to that. Establish cool hook, run a couple of supporting arcs, beat the big bad / original conspiracy > Now what? Either quit while the going is good or turn it into the usual serialized fair.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

muscles like this? posted:

Another unresolved thing was how Norman Osborne kept coming back to life/as the Goblin.

I haven't read them all, but I assumed this was something to do with the Oz serum, right? Like it reacted perfectly with his biology and kept kicking it back to life even when he croaked. It didn't work for Harry because uh

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nilbop posted:

I haven't read them all, but I assumed this was something to do with the Oz serum, right? Like it reacted perfectly with his biology and kept kicking it back to life even when he croaked. It didn't work for Harry because uh

The thing is that Bendis specifically has SHIELD go on about how Norman doesn't actually have any Oz in his system after like the first time he gets taken down but is still able to change. The same with MJ but there was still that scene where she starts to change but stops at the last second.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Ultimate X-Men was pretty bad with dropped plots too. Wasn't it brought up that Sabretooth was Wolverine's son and they went off to together to find his mother, then Wolverine just came back with no explanation of it after? They got rid of Sabretooth's character design having 4 of the same kind of claws as Wolverine too after Ultimates 3.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

The thing is that Bendis specifically has SHIELD go on about how Norman doesn't actually have any Oz in his system after like the first time he gets taken down but is still able to change. The same with MJ but there was still that scene where she starts to change but stops at the last second.

OZ genetically alters you, so you don't need to actually have any of it in you anymore to be effected by it. They showed his actual cells changing when he escaped in Death of a Goblin. Also, he only ever came back to life once, and it was after that. Before it he would get the poo poo kicked out of him, but he was never actually dead.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Dacap posted:

Ultimate X-Men was pretty bad with dropped plots too. Wasn't it brought up that Sabretooth was Wolverine's son and they went off to together to find his mother, then Wolverine just came back with no explanation of it after? They got rid of Sabretooth's character design having 4 of the same kind of claws as Wolverine too after Ultimates 3.

There was supposed to be a Wolverine mini exploring all that stuff, but it was dropped due to it being too close to Ultimatum.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
Courtesy of a UCXM #14 (first issue of Divided We Fall) preview, a map showing just how hosed the US is. Tagged just in case since it's from a preview.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/assets/images/preview/df3c546i12906/prv12906_pg3.jpg

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Threep posted:

Courtesy of a UCXM #14 (first issue of Divided We Fall) preview, a map showing just how hosed the US is. Tagged just in case since it's from a preview.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/assets/images/preview/df3c546i12906/prv12906_pg3.jpg

Hahahaha LONG LIVE THE REPUBLIC OF TEXAS!

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

"abandonded by the US government"

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Just like New Orleans.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
I love how the statuses of the midwest and west coast are unknown as if no one knows where the states have actually gone.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

I'm just glad they're running full steam with "we hosed poo poo up real bad for the US and here's the ramifications of it".

Texas doing its own thing owns. They did that poo poo in Jericho too.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

TheLoser posted:

I love how the statuses of the midwest and west coast are unknown as if no one knows where the states have actually gone.

They could be anywhere man, Fury's only got one eye he can't see everything.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hellsau posted:

They could be anywhere man, Fury's only got one eye he can't see everything.

California goes to hang out with Hawaii. Alaska goes with them too.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Threep posted:

That map's actually an outdated preview. The situation's gotten way more hosed up since then!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oragutan Surfing Civilization is expanding, I see.

(I love the original map :laffo: )

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

That map's actually an outdated preview. The situation's gotten way more hosed up since then!

Oh poo poo, man. That was solid belly laugh.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

California goes to hang out with Hawaii. Alaska goes with them too.

They'll build their own country. With blackjack! And hookers!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm just glad they're running full steam with "we hosed poo poo up real bad for the US and here's the ramifications of it".

Texas doing its own thing owns. They did that poo poo in Jericho too.

Yeah it is interesting especially since none of these events were connected making it look like each book was just doing its own thing. Though I am sick of seeing stories like this having Texas ending up going independent, its always loving Texas. Do something different guys.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 9, 2012

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
Also, The better part of Michigan and Wisconson are under the unknown status, but the guys hanging around the panhandle of Michigan are doing ok compared with everyone else in the country.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I haven't been reading any Ultimate titles, but I'm thinking of starting to pick 'em up...

Can someone explain how the States got hosed up? Is the East Coast still Ultimatum aftermath?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Directorman posted:

I haven't been reading any Ultimate titles, but I'm thinking of starting to pick 'em up...

Can someone explain how the States got hosed up? Is the East Coast still Ultimatum aftermath?

Ultimate X-Men has a bunch of anti-mutant robots rampaging across the midwest killing mutants and any human that gets in the way.
Texas has decided to do it's own thing because of this.
Things happen in Ultimate's that might be a bit spoilerish if you're getting started.
The anti-government militia are there because the government made mutants and then spent the last fifty years trying to kill them. They're less 'hated and feared' more 'what the gently caress is the matter with you assholes why are you trying to genocide a race of people you helped make?'

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Directorman posted:

It is pretty much an effect of Ultimatum in the sense that every book is now trying to "one up" the last in terms of gigantic explosions and death rates. Even as crazy as the map is and what Sion posted that doesn't include all the crazy poo poo that's happened in the rest of the world. There was even a period where Bendis and Millar were taking alternate weeks blowing up the same building in different ways.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Waterhaul posted:

It is pretty much an effect of Ultimatum in the sense that every book is now trying to "one up" the last in terms of gigantic explosions and death rates. Even as crazy as the map is and what Sion posted that doesn't include all the crazy poo poo that's happened in the rest of the world. There was even a period where Bendis and Millar were taking alternate weeks blowing up the same building in different ways.

Yeah I cut down a lot of it due to brevity but Germany is now no longer a place.

Belmont Geoffrion
Sep 25, 2007
o bby
The other night I decided to check out the Miles Morales' comics, and I really really like the character and was hoping to find a copy of #1 before it really gets expensive, and was wondering what price I should generally pay for it if my local comic store can't find anywhere with a back copy. So yeah, what should I expect to pay for Ultimate All-New Spider-Man #1?

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Belmont Geoffrion posted:

The other night I decided to check out the Miles Morales' comics, and I really really like the character and was hoping to find a copy of #1 before it really gets expensive, and was wondering what price I should generally pay for it if my local comic store can't find anywhere with a back copy. So yeah, what should I expect to pay for Ultimate All-New Spider-Man #1?

Not sure about an individual issue but the first trade featuring the first five issues is out now.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Kaleidoscope posted:

Not sure about an individual issue but the first trade featuring the first five issues is out now.

Y'know, decompression usually doesn't bother me much, but when I consider the idea of #1-5 being compiled in a single book, I realize that it has been pretty bad since the reboot. There's really barely even an arc there; the end of issue #5 he fights Electro and gets his new costume.

It's even worse when you realize that, rather than compiling #6-12, which is a pretty decent full arc with a nice cliffhanger, they're doing a TPB of loving #6-10 which is entirely build-up with no payoff :psyduck:

I enjoy the comic a lot, but drat.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Belmont Geoffrion posted:

You should never pay more than the cover price.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Anal Tributary posted:

Y'know, decompression usually doesn't bother me much, but when I consider the idea of #1-5 being compiled in a single book, I realize that it has been pretty bad since the reboot. There's really barely even an arc there; the end of issue #5 he fights Electro and gets his new costume.

It's even worse when you realize that, rather than compiling #6-12, which is a pretty decent full arc with a nice cliffhanger, they're doing a TPB of loving #6-10 which is entirely build-up with no payoff :psyduck:

I enjoy the comic a lot, but drat.

The ultimate universe has always been kind of decompressed and adding Bendis to the mix probably increases that by a pretty significant factor. Like, I'm not really a fan of Bendis but I can't imagine anyone sitting there and reading like... eleven issues without going 'get to the loving point already'

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

It sure hasn't helped that we're now down to 20 pages an issue.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Reading issue 9 of the recent Ultimate Spiderman series I remembered another dropped plot thread:

The Scorpion. The first one. Remember him? No?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Pimpmust posted:

Reading issue 9 of the recent Ultimate Spiderman series I remembered another dropped plot thread:

The Scorpion. The first one. Remember him? No?

There's been no real storyline "need" for him to reappear, since he has no current link to Miles.

Now, this is comic books, so anyone can return at any time, but GENERALLY the Ultimate universe is ok with killing off characters for good...at least when they're not needed anymore and there's better ones ready to replace them.

He probably died from Reed's first strike on the Baxter building. Or, when he's needed, he'll miraculously have survived and is wandering the sewers of New York, deranged and gibbering and Miles will eventually encounter him and have to take him down with a weird guilt about beating up Peter Parker.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Thinking he'd show up again before Peter actually died. I mean, SHIELD have let the Sinister Six out like twice AND Carnage.
Were they keeping him at the Baxter Building? Maybe Reed is just better at security... (or keeps a backup generator around).

Still weird for everyone involved (in character) to just ignore that guy though. There was what, 50-70 issues before Peter got shot? In comic book terms that's an eternity.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 10, 2012

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Pimpmust posted:

Thinking he'd show up again before Peter actually died. I mean, SHIELD have let the Sinister Six out like twice AND Carnage.
Were they keeping him at the Baxter Building? Maybe Reed is just better at security... (or keeps a backup generator around).

Still weird for everyone involved (in character) to just ignore that guy though. There was what, 50-70 issues before Peter got shot? In comic book terms that's an eternity.

The FF were busy falling apart by then, and then Ultimatum came and everyone got too drowny to check the lab scorpions. And then Reed blew it up a month or so later.

Peter getting shot was ages AFTER that, so for all intents the Scorpion may as well have been dead.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 10, 2012

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Could be an episode of the Venture Bros.

Just replace / add screaming burning man with screaming Scorpion dude.

Switch to Peter at school going "Did I forget something... ? Nah!"

But now that I think about it, Miles running into that guy would be pretty great mindfuckery.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 10, 2012

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Mister Roboto posted:

The FF were busy falling apart by then, and then Ultimatum came and everyone got too drowny to check the lab scorpions. And then Reed blew it up a month or so later.

Peter getting shot was ages AFTER that, so for all intents the Scorpion may as well have been dead.

What do you mean, Reed blew it up a month or so later? Isn't there an entire year gap after Ultimatum where no stories took place, short of Requiems? Or was it 6 months?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Whatever happened to the crazy evil-smart spiderman Fury was keeping as a pet?

Him and Unit from X-Men/SWORD remind me of each other.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Myrddin Emrys posted:

What do you mean, Reed blew it up a month or so later? Isn't there an entire year gap after Ultimatum where no stories took place, short of Requiems? Or was it 6 months?

I was being somewhat facetious in my estimates; the point was that things kept on happening with the superheroes that were far more important than checking the guy in the tube in the basement. Note that most of the FF disbanded at that point anyways, leaving Sue, and if she forgot to check on Scorpion then it wouldn't matter how long of a gap it was, guy just sat there in his tank til he was blown up.

Nevvy Z posted:

Whatever happened to the crazy evil-smart spiderman Fury was keeping as a pet?

He was revealed as an Asian (somewhat related to SEAR) engineered copy of Spiderman who just called himself The Spider.

He was (apparently) crushed by Hawkeye during Tony's brother SHIELD coup.

I think that was just a plotline that wasn't truly thought out so the writers just had to get rid of him fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sion posted:

The ultimate universe has always been kind of decompressed and adding Bendis to the mix probably increases that by a pretty significant factor. Like, I'm not really a fan of Bendis but I can't imagine anyone sitting there and reading like... eleven issues without going 'get to the loving point already'

The thing is, the decompression factor actually helps out with Ultimate Spider-Man. Both versions, because they're interesting characters and I actually want to read the story they're telling. So I've never been reading that and wished the storyline would hurry up. It just works for Ultimate Spider-Man. Now his Avengers stuff, that's a different story.

• Locked thread