Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Analog delay: Memory Toy or MXR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I like the MXR for straight-ahead analog delay but the Memory Boy is great for more "ambient" style stuff with the modulation blend knob.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I'd recommend the Memory Boy over the Toy personally and I love mine. They're both pretty widely available though, should be easy enough to compare them at just about any decent sized store.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
I have a JCM800 50 watt combo that's pretty old, early '80s likely.

It only has two high/low inputs, no channels. But I have an A/B box, so is it possible to go from A -> high and B -> low simultaneously to have a dirty/clean channel without screwing up the amp?

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011

Stayne Falls posted:

I have a JCM800 50 watt combo that's pretty old, early '80s likely.

It only has two high/low inputs, no channels. But I have an A/B box, so is it possible to go from A -> high and B -> low simultaneously to have a dirty/clean channel without screwing up the amp?

I'm fairly sure the 2204 only works if one jack is plugged in - if both are plugged in then only the low input works. This is because they use switching jacks, and putting a cable in breaks the connections that are jumped if the guitar is in the high-sensitivity input.
Just buy an overdrive pedal - a tubescreamer, Boss SD1, Fulltone OCD etc will all do the job for not too much cash. Put your amp on the verge of breakup, then on your pedal turn the gain down and the level up so that when you kick on the pedal, the distortion is all coming from the preamp being pushed too hard.

tldr: no, buy a clean booster or overdrive

Jives
May 1, 2011
Can anyone explain what the difference between the various EHX delays are? Looking at specs I can't really see why I'd want the deluxe memory man over the deluxe memory boy.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Jives posted:

Can anyone explain what the difference between the various EHX delays are? Looking at specs I can't really see why I'd want the deluxe memory man over the deluxe memory boy.

The main difference between those two, as they're both analog, is the chip used to get the actual delay. The ones in the DMM are getting real hard to find and expensive. Also the sound of the delay is different. The Memory Boy is a good sounding delay, but the DMM is a classic and if you get a chance to play one I'd recommend it.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
So I got a few pedalboards; a Pedaltrain-3 which I use when I'm playing guitar, and a Pedaltrain Mini that I use when I'm playing bass. I use a few of the same pedals for both and the past few months I'm noticing that the velcro (which came with the boards) keeps coming off my pedals entirely. Is there a type of super sticky velcro that won't just slide off my pedals after a few months and will hold up to being detached every now and again from a board? Any tips would be great.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

forever whatever posted:

So I got a few pedalboards; a Pedaltrain-3 which I use when I'm playing guitar, and a Pedaltrain Mini that I use when I'm playing bass. I use a few of the same pedals for both and the past few months I'm noticing that the velcro (which came with the boards) keeps coming off my pedals entirely. Is there a type of super sticky velcro that won't just slide off my pedals after a few months and will hold up to being detached every now and again from a board? Any tips would be great.

I just buy "INDUSTRIAL" strength velcro at Home Depot. Get some painters tape and put that on the back of the pedal before the velcro. Now you have velcro and the paint won't chip off!

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
Also cut the velcro a bit longer and tuck the sides of it up under the plate on your pedal and screw the plate back on. No corners = no peeling off.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Any of you effects maestros know how Adrian Belew is using to create the spasticated diving and stuttering here? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wp2qhoop9U&t=3537s

It sounds like something you could cook up in Max/MSP, but this was 1980.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Popcorn posted:

Any of you effects maestros know how Adrian Belew is using to create the spasticated diving and stuttering here? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wp2qhoop9U&t=3537s

It sounds like something you could cook up in Max/MSP, but this was 1980.

Roland Chorus amp run in stereo feeding back. He uses the same sound in a lot King Crimson stuff in the 80s.

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
You can see it earlier in the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wp2qhoop9U

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Bobby couldn't make it...
'till he went fun-truckin'!
I like building pedals, but like a lot of builders, the majority of what I turn out is overdrives and fuzz pedals, and you can only use so many of those. My current chain lives on a pedaltrain mini

MIM Telecaster with SD59 neck humbucker/Vox series 55/Strat/MIJ Mustang Special
>
Tu-3 Tuner
>
CMAT mods deluxe compressor (building a ross clone to replace it soon)
>
A/B switch that branches to home built Germanium fuzz face clone and straight to DRRI amp. B setting continues to:
>
Dunlop Rotovibe JH-4S
>
Marshall Bluesbreaker Clone
>
BYOC OD2 (Tubescreamer clone with separate boost)
>
MXR Carbon Copy
>
Fender DRRI

The compressor and boost on the od2 are always on. The bluesbreaker is set to add a little dirt. The bluesbreaker and the TS clone at the same time add a lot of dirt and sustain. The fuzz is branched alone as its pos ground and doesn't play well with other pedals.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Noise Machine posted:

Roland Chorus amp run in stereo feeding back. He uses the same sound in a lot King Crimson stuff in the 80s.

What does this mean exactly? Could you explain it some more?

Also, could you point me to some King Crimson songs he used it on?

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
He talks about it in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8NpBWPL93s&t=2690s

Most of that lesson is worth watching

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Yes. This is the video for me.

Thank you.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Anyone know what effect Jerry Garcia might be using on his guitar on this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQF8CILMt8c

He uses this sound a ton this album, and it's really subtle. I can't figure out for the life of me how to recreate it. I think it's a flanger but I'm not even sure they existed yet (1969).

It might be a little more pronounced in this tune https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYvoNr3As4I

Hollis Brownsound fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 12, 2012

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

HollisBrown posted:

He uses this sound a ton this album, and it's really subtle. I can't figure out for the life of me how to recreate it. I think it's a flanger but I'm not even sure they existed yet (1969).

It might be a little more pronounced in this tune https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYvoNr3As4I

Definitely a flanger to my ears. The Beatles were using it in the studio on Revolver, so it was def. around.

edit: By the beatles reference I mean that it may not have existed in a pedal-form for live performance, but it was definitely available as a studio effect by then.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 12, 2012

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

HollisBrown posted:

Univibe

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
Disagree. It sounds much more like a Leslie speaker than a Univibe, which was the hip thing to use around 1970.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

burritonegro posted:

Disagree. It sounds much more like a Leslie speaker than a Univibe, which was the hip thing to use around 1970.

Seems too clean/discreet for a Leslie to me; speed is kinda off too. Was also thinking of the Mutron phase shifter, but not sure if that was available in '69.

Anyway, HollisBrown, there's this: http://www.amazon.com/Grateful-Dead-Gear-Instruments-Recording/dp/0879308931

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Any recommendations for a mid-range delay pedal (£50-120ish)? It needs to be analogue in sound and it needs to self-oscillate, and do that squuiiirrkysquirrrly pitch-bending noise when you change the speed. A tap tempo button would be good.

Looking at the Memory Boy/Toy pedals or a second-hand Space Echo.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Popcorn posted:

Any recommendations for a mid-range delay pedal (£50-120ish)? It needs to be analogue in sound and it needs to self-oscillate, and do that squuiiirrkysquirrrly pitch-bending noise when you change the speed. A tap tempo button would be good.

Looking at the Memory Boy/Toy pedals or a second-hand Space Echo.

I like my Memory Boy and its oscillations a lot. MXR Carbon Copys are popular too as an analog delay. You're probably not going to find anything actually analog with a tap temp for less than a Deluxe Memory Boy.

My DD-7 does some oscillation too though and the pitch definitely changes as you twist the delay knob. The analog simulation on it is pretty decent imo. Tap tempo too if you don't mind holding the switch down or getting an external tap tempo switch which is super easy to diy if you've got a soldering iron.

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!
Flanging, courtesy of Wikipedia:

quote:

The name "flanging" comes from the original method of creation. Originally, a signal would be recorded to two tape machines simultaneously. The playback-head output from these two recorders was then mixed together onto a third recorder. In this form, minute differences in the motor speeds of each machine would result in a phasing effect when the signals were combined. The "flange" effect originated when an engineer would literally put a finger on the flange, or rim of one of the tape reels so that the machine was slowed down, slipping out of sync by tiny degrees. A listener would hear a "drainpipe" sweeping effect as shifting sum-and-difference harmonics were created.

The more you know! I like how they took a flaw - tape decks didn't sync perfectly - and turned it into a creative technique.

BobOfDoom
May 24, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I recently came into some money, and I can't think of a better way to waste it than on a bunch of effects pedals. My only real issue is that I have no idea how to chain all this together properly. I didn't realize how much I had ordered until I started trying to figure this out, and now I'm wondering if something like a Pod HD500 would have been a better choice. Here's what I'll be working with:

Wampler Triple Wreck
Wampler Leviathan
MXR Stereo Chorus
MXR Smart Gate
MXR 10 Band Graphic EQ
Eventide TimeFactor
Eventide Space
Moog FreqBox
Moog Cluster Flux
Morley Dragon 2 Wah
Morley PVO Plus Volume
Philosopher's Tone
BBE Sonic Stomp
Carl Martin Classic Optical Envelope
T-Rex Mark Tremonti Phaser
Boss Acoustic Sim
Korg Pitchblack+

How would I even begin to put that all into use on a board?

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
Possibly been asked before, but what cable connects do yall use on your boards? I'm ready to move on from George Ls...

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

BobOfDoom posted:

I recently came into some money, and I can't think of a better way to waste it than on a bunch of effects pedals. My only real issue is that I have no idea how to chain all this together properly. I didn't realize how much I had ordered until I started trying to figure this out, and now I'm wondering if something like a Pod HD500 would have been a better choice. Here's what I'll be working with:

Wampler Triple Wreck
Wampler Leviathan
MXR Stereo Chorus
MXR Smart Gate
MXR 10 Band Graphic EQ
Eventide TimeFactor
Eventide Space
Moog FreqBox
Moog Cluster Flux
Morley Dragon 2 Wah
Morley PVO Plus Volume
Philosopher's Tone
BBE Sonic Stomp
Boss Acoustic Sim
Korg Pitchblack+

Jesus Christ. :psypop: That's an amazing amount of stuff. You should post that question to I Love Fuzz, too.

Generally speaking, you want to set up your chain like this:

Guitar > Filters > Pitch Shifting > Distortions > Modulation > Delay > Reverb > Amp

That rule is totally breakable to different results, but it's a good rule of thumb for when you're starting out. I'd probably try something like this out for starters?

Korg Pitchblack+
Morley Dragon 2 Wah
Moog FreqBox
Moog Cluster Flux
MXR 10 Band Graphic EQ
Boss Acoustic Sim
Philosopher's Tone
BBE Sonic Stomp
Wampler Triple Wreck
Wampler Leviathan
MXR Stereo Chorus
Eventide TimeFactor
Eventide Space
Morley PVO Plus Volume
MXR Smart Gate

As someone who owns a Line 6 multi-effects unit (the M13), I have to say that I'm not wild at all about the fuzzes - I have my own running into the box - but the filters/modulation/delays/reverbs are all decent.

Volume and tuner can go anywhere. Have fun and make a lot of noise with that setup!

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.

BobOfDoom posted:

Wampler Triple Wreck
Wampler Leviathan
MXR Stereo Chorus
MXR Smart Gate
MXR 10 Band Graphic EQ
Eventide TimeFactor
Eventide Space
Moog FreqBox
Moog Cluster Flux
Morley Dragon 2 Wah
Morley PVO Plus Volume
Philosopher's Tone
BBE Sonic Stomp
Boss Acoustic Sim
Korg Pitchblack+

I don't have any useful advice to you but I had to comment because this list of pedals made me laugh out loud. I'm not trying to be mean, I loving LOVE pedals but I just have to ask, what sort of board are you using to put all these on? The Eventide pedals alone take up a lot of space...

I loving love the Space reverb btw, my favorite (and most expensive) pedal.

*edit: read that last line, and i will offer my take: even if you go with a pedaltrain pro, you'll be able to fit at most half of the pedals you listed up there, so you'll have to start figuring out for yourself what you like the best and trimming some other stuff off the list. generally i'd say that blue.eyed.ash gives a pretty good rule of thumb.

forever whatever fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 30, 2012

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
How about putting them in a rack and using something like the Voodoo Labs GCX Audio Switcher(or five of them) to switch them around?

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
Finally getting sick of lugging individual pedals around, so I'm looking for some pedalboard advice.

I've got the following (in no particular order, but order recommendations would be nice too as I'm still fiddling with it all):

Turbo Tuner
Blackout Effectors Twosome
Morley PVO+ Volume
EHX Freeze
EHX Memory Boy
EHX Small Stone
TC Electronics Hall of Fame Reverb
maybe a wah sometime maybe if I ever decide that I don't hate wah

I might add one or two more pedals at some point, but I think I'm pretty much done.

As far as I can tell, the basic idea is to grab a Pedaltrain PT-2 and a Voodoo Pedal Power 2, drill some holes, and mount things on, but I'm wondering if there are better options out there. I don't need a flight case or anything like that, and I don't need anything giant. This is really about me being tired of wasting 15 minutes unpacking and packing pedals and cables at rehearsals.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

Schindler's Fist posted:

The more you know! I like how they took a flaw - tape decks didn't sync perfectly - and turned it into a creative technique.

Same story, of course, with overdrive.

Fancy Molasses
Jul 15, 2009
I picked up an MXR el grande bass fuzz a few weeks ago and it started loving up on me today. When I turned it on, I wasn't getting any distortion or really any sound unless I turned the volume knob all the way up (all the knobs seemed to effect the volume). Then when I pressed the 'deep' switch, it immediately started making a really loud, high-pitched buzzing sound. I turned everything off, unplugged and re-plugged everything and it was the same; no fuzz, and that loud buzz when I pressed the deep switch. Then I tried switching the cables, and the distortion worked as normal, but pressing the deep switch still caused that buzz. I switched the cables back, and nothing changed. Then I turned everything off and on again, and now I'm back to where I started. My bass and amp work fine without the pedal connected.

Does anyone know what the gently caress? Is my pedal toast?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Fancy Molasses posted:

I picked up an MXR el grande bass fuzz a few weeks ago and it started loving up on me today. When I turned it on, I wasn't getting any distortion or really any sound unless I turned the volume knob all the way up (all the knobs seemed to effect the volume). Then when I pressed the 'deep' switch, it immediately started making a really loud, high-pitched buzzing sound. I turned everything off, unplugged and re-plugged everything and it was the same; no fuzz, and that loud buzz when I pressed the deep switch. Then I tried switching the cables, and the distortion worked as normal, but pressing the deep switch still caused that buzz. I switched the cables back, and nothing changed. Then I turned everything off and on again, and now I'm back to where I started. My bass and amp work fine without the pedal connected.

Does anyone know what the gently caress? Is my pedal toast?

Did you buy it new? If so, I'd return it and get a new one. It sounds like maybe some of the solder connections poo poo out.

Fancy Molasses
Jul 15, 2009

Scarf posted:

Did you buy it new? If so, I'd return it and get a new one. It sounds like maybe some of the solder connections poo poo out.

Well poo poo. Yeah, it's new, guess I'll be taking it back tomorrow.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask this, but my band is trying to use a loop pedal to loop a guitar part, but, inevitably, the drummer is having a hard time hearing the loop so he can keep in time with it. Any suggestions for how to fight this?

It feels like headphones should be the answer. I guess we could buy a splitter or mixer and route the loop into the amp and into a pair of headphones for him.

e: to clarify, if it isn't clear, the reason the drummer can't hear the loop is that we all end up playing stuff on top of it and it gets buried. We all end up playing to the drummer's tempo and then the loop gets out of sync completely.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 2, 2012

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Headphones would help a lot. Also you could feed a metronome into the headphones instead of your loop so the drummer is always playing to the right tempo.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Metronome won't work, because the loop is generated from an Akai headrush looper activated by footswitch. It can't be synced to a metronome.

I think headphones is the answer, but I'm still trying to figure out the best way to get the loop to a pair of headphones (and still coming out of the amp as part of the band). My amp has a headphones socket but it stops the audio coming out of the speaker and we need both.

Another possibility would be to use Ableton + laptop to loop the guitar part to a metronome the drummer could listen to (or we could blend it with drum machine parts on top to keep the tempo clear), but that would be a logistical nightmare in the short term.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Popcorn posted:

Metronome won't work, because the loop is generated from an Akai headrush looper activated by footswitch. It can't be synced to a metronome.

I think headphones is the answer, but I'm still trying to figure out the best way to get the loop to a pair of headphones (and still coming out of the amp as part of the band). My amp has a headphones socket but it stops the audio coming out of the speaker and we need both.

I've seen band carry around another guitar amp just as a monitor from the loop pedal to the drummer. Kinda a pain in the rear end but it get's the job done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Popcorn posted:

Oh man, this seems like an easy project. Depending on what switch they used, you might be able to tap in to the extra set of poles on that tap switch and wire it in to a tap tempo metronome. Else just drill a hole for the second switch and physically link them with a snap on cover of sorts.

Would there be a market for something like this? I could probably build a prototype by the end of the week.