Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New God
Jun 2, 2007

It takes shades of faggotry to make an awesome rainbow

Samael Jackson posted:

To sort of carry on from my post in the effects thread, I'm in need of some new gear. I play mostly stoner stuff and want to finally get a tube amp, around $800 or so. I'd like to get that kyuss/nebula/truckfighters sound. Probably something in the 30 or 40 watt range. I like the orange tiny terror, but is 15 watt really enough if I did some shows with it? I also checked out the laney vc30 and blackstar 40 watt. Blackstar seems like a good deal, but the orange especially seemed to blow it away in the demos I listened to.

I picked up a very good condition ampeg vt-22 (v-4 2x12 combo) for 700$ on Craigslist, and there are even better deals then that. Great deep tone with really adjustable midrange settings. Your not gonna get much distortion from it but that's what pedals are for, stoners all about fuzz anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Samael Jackson posted:

To sort of carry on from my post in the effects thread, I'm in need of some new gear. I play mostly stoner stuff and want to finally get a tube amp, around $800 or so. I'd like to get that kyuss/nebula/truckfighters sound. Probably something in the 30 or 40 watt range. I like the orange tiny terror, but is 15 watt really enough if I did some shows with it? I also checked out the laney vc30 and blackstar 40 watt. Blackstar seems like a good deal, but the orange especially seemed to blow it away in the demos I listened to.

I've owned all three.

The tiny terror is loud, it was well enough for gigging but NOT if you wanted the clean settings to stay clean. I wanted more headroom so thats why I ditched it, if you're just using pure distortion though that shouldn't be an issue.

It was really great sounding, a little midrange heavy but that meant it cut through a mix well.

The VC30 had a godawful distortion channel, ok cleans but even using a pedal for distortion the cabinet construction wasnt the best for heavy stuff, also it broke all the time.

The blackstar is a decent jack of all trades master of none type deal, keep it set over to american (and I usually hate "american" voicings) because thats where it feels like it wants to be. It wouldnt be so great for fuzzy stoner stuff though, the gain is too tight and modern.

I'd get the terror, providing you don't need effects or such. Maybe boost it a bit for more gain but the volume is fine and for gigs you can just mic it up.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jul 9, 2012

Zentrenched
Jun 7, 2005

It's all noise to me.
The Terror is the sort of amp that makes you want to play stoner rock on it, even if it isn't your thing. It's pretty much built for it once you stray out of AC/DC territory.

massive spider posted:

Maybe boost it a bit for more gain but the volume is fine and for gigs you can just mic it up.

And this just makes it sound even more ballsy.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I'm with New God - 70s vintage stuff is your best friend if you're doing bottom heavy stoner/doom stuff and you're getting your distortion from a pedal. Basically, higher power means more headroom and a fuller bottom. As I've ranted on here time and again, so many modern amps are focused on bluesy/hard rock distortion, so they don't have the support structure to let a truly awesome fuzz pedal breathe.

Ampeg, Sunn, Silverface Fenders (especially the ultralinear high-power ones from 1977-81), pretty much anything with at least of pair of 6L6s and a good transformer is a good bet. Every Fender PA 100 or 135 tube head that's come through the store I've sold to kids playing stoner rock.

Disregard if you're only trying to get amp distortion, though!

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Can anyone give me some options as far as real little tube amps go?

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000
Wouldn't the Dark Terror be more suited to stoner than the Tiny?

I'd also check out the Thunder 30, I played the 200 and thought it was close-but-not-quite Kyuss tone. More Sky Valley than Circus Leaves Town though. Kyuss is really a down-tuned fuzzy distortion as opposed to straight up fuzz circuit like Truckfighters though so it seems you will have to decide which you really want.

Mojo Hand Colossus pedal will get you close I think. I quite like the Boss HM-3 which was recommended to me here in the ML like 4 years ago.

But none of these really get me where I want, tone wise, so now I'm saving up for an Electric Amp.

Sirius Sam
Apr 12, 2005

BUTTCHEEKS

mr_package posted:

But none of these really get me where I want, tone wise, so now I'm saving up for an Electric Amp.

That really is how it happens. Green Amps are truly the holy grail of the stoner tone and a lot of different amps and pedal combinations can come close, but none can truly match what Green can do. It sucks too because they're so goddamn expensive.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

mr_package posted:

I ended up in the same spot. My Electric head has never disappointed. I've never regretted buying it. I went through a Marshall TSL, Peavey 5150, Ampeg V-4, THD Univalve, Mesa/Boogie Mark III, and even a Matamp Roadster and probably some others I'm not remembering right now before I settled on the Electric. I have the EL34 version and it's still a beast. I've vibrated things off shelves and furniture with the crazy volume it puts out. It doesn't like playing clean and always wants to break up a bit but I didn't buy it for clean tone. My Engl E530 fills in for that.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is: DO IT.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

mr_package posted:

Wouldn't the Dark Terror be more suited to stoner than the Tiny?

I'd also check out the Thunder 30, I played the 200 and thought it was close-but-not-quite Kyuss tone. More Sky Valley than Circus Leaves Town though. Kyuss is really a down-tuned fuzzy distortion as opposed to straight up fuzz circuit like Truckfighters though so it seems you will have to decide which you really want.

Mojo Hand Colossus pedal will get you close I think. I quite like the Boss HM-3 which was recommended to me here in the ML like 4 years ago.

The dark terror will get you some DIRTY Sludge tones, my friend just bought one and the sound out of it is killer for a lunchbox amp.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

A question:

I play a Carvin 212 BelAir, and recently the V5 tube in my preamp burned out (this is the tube right before the power amp). The preamp is made up of 5 Sovtek (I think) 12AX7As, and a replacement 12AX7A at the store is like $17.
I have a Fender Blues Jr., though, which has a preamp made up of 3 12AX7 (not AX7A) tubes, which I am not really using for anything, right now.

If I were to cannibalize the Blues Jr. and use one of its 12AX7s to replace the burnt out 12AX7A in the Carvin, would that cause any real damage?

I know AX7A's are only set apart by a difference in their engineering which allows them to be used in series and parallel circuits, where their A-less predecessors were set for parallel use only. So it should work. And preamp tubes aren't like power tubes in that they need to be replaced as a set. So I could very well just pop a 12AX7 in with the 12AX7As, right?

UPDATE:

So, the Groove Tube from the Blues Jr. is in place, and it works. Well, I mean, I knew it would work. I thought, for some reason, that it still had an effect on my volume levels, but my worries have been assuaged. Still, one must wonder about how long that little tube will last, or how it may effect the performance of my other tubes...

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 13, 2012

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Sirius Sam posted:

That really is how it happens. Green Amps are truly the holy grail of the stoner tone and a lot of different amps and pedal combinations can come close, but none can truly match what Green can do. It sucks too because they're so goddamn expensive.

Josh Homme used a Marshall head through an Ampeg 8x12 cabinet for most of Blues for a Red Sun, so I imagine what kind of speakers he plays through will have an equal impact in getting that quintessential stoner sound.

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

No, I can't. Too much hair.
My current amp lineup consists of a Fuchs Lucky 7 head (first generation) with a 6V6 power tube to bring the wattage down a bit (5 watts versus 7 watts if it has an EL34 or 6L6 in it), and it gives me a great clean tone with single coils. Things get a bit hairy (in a good way!) with the PAF humbuckers I have in my SG. Overall a great amp with straight-ahead British Class A tones.

My second amp is a Marshall Studio 15, and that's the one I keep on ALL the time. It uses a pair of 6V6s and a custom Celestion Vintage 30 12" speaker. Depending on where you set the mid control (the mids are tied to the gain stage and are VERY interactive), you can get Fender-style cleans (courtesy of the 6V6s) or Marshall crunch (courtesy, of course, of the Marshall gain stages), with some Vox chime in-between if you back the bass off a bit, set the mids to a little more than half, and put the treble to 3/4. If you can find one of these (only 500 were made and they go for about $900 used), snap it right up. No matter what your style, you'll love it.

Spikeness
Dec 4, 2009
I am sexually aroused by the thought of a 12 year old video game character in a bikini, just fy
This is my first foray into the world of tube amps, wanted a reverberocket for a while and now I have one, Its loving amazing!

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.

Spikeness posted:

This is my first foray into the world of tube amps, wanted a reverberocket for a while and now I have one, Its loving amazing!

Off topic, but what's the guitar?

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.

Spikeness posted:

Very cool. I used to be in a band with a guy who had a Reverberocket (actually two at one point), it always sounded great. I've got a Jet re-issue, myself.

Spikeness
Dec 4, 2009
I am sexually aroused by the thought of a 12 year old video game character in a bikini, just fy

Sadsack posted:

Off topic, but what's the guitar?

Fender Cyclone :science:

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

I'm looking for a first tube amp.

I like all kinds of music but especially fuzz heavy blues rock and sounds where the guitar has been heavily influenced by effects.

I would very much like something very pedal/effects friendly.

I am open to a head + cab or a combo. If not a combo I would need cab recommendations as well.

I am open to new or used.

I would be playing almost exclusively, alone, in my basement.

I would like to one day be able to record things on to my PC.

Budget is $400-800 but I am very open to moving in either direction if something is a perfect match or blows me away.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Peavey classic 30, just a great no nonsense amp.

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

massive spider posted:

Peavey classic 30, just a great no nonsense amp.

Agreed. I had a Classic 50, but I still agree.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Picked up a new 300w Super Bassman Pro

My god, it's full of tubes

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

spaceship posted:

That's awesome. I didn't know they were making vintage-style versions of those now. I heard they sound amazing.

AIDS CURES FAGGOTS
May 26, 2012

by angerbot

FlossMan posted:

Agreed. I had a Classic 50, but I still agree.

Of all my amps that I am looking to sell, the Classic 50 is the only one that will never be on the chopping block.

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

AIDS CURES FAGGOTS posted:

Of all my amps that I am looking to sell, the Classic 50 is the only one that will never be on the chopping block.

I only sold it to get my Studio 15, if that says anything about how awesome the C50 is.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

spaceship posted:

How much does that bad boy weigh?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I was flipping through the newest musician's friend catalog - is the Orange Micro Terror a new thing? 20W, solid state head with a ECC83/12AX7 in the preamp, $150 - I really want to find one to check it out in person.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Spikeness posted:

Frontman has a half-stack of that 'cept with a matching 4x12 and 50-watt head. He bought it new over 10 years ago and has never replaced the tubes. It's always sounded pretty darn good but getting new tubes in there is going to be a game changer.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I guess I should post this here.

Legend Model A 60w on a Sovtek 2x12 with two 25W/16Ω Pre-Rola Celestion G12H greenbacks in parallel for 8Ω load. I'm going back up to Calgary on Saturday to trade my 7-string Epiphone Korina V for the matching Legend 4x12 cabinet. I'd be an idiot to separate the two, even if I don't end up using the cab all that much.

On that note, the Sovtek is wired at 8Ω impedance, with the two 25W speakers in parallel giving it max 50 watt rating, no? So am I in for any trouble by using a 60 watt head with a cabinet wired for 50 watts?

Edit:

Brettbot posted:

Very cool. I used to be in a band with a guy who had a Reverberocket (actually two at one point), it always sounded great. I've got a Jet re-issue, myself.

Ampeg guitar amp party on this page?! To anyone on this page talking about stoner rock amps...

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 30, 2012

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Handen posted:

On that note, the Sovtek is wired at 8Ω impedance, with the two 25W speakers in parallel giving it max 50 watt rating, no? So am I in for any trouble by using a 60 watt head with a cabinet wired for 50 watts?

Not at all

Rvrnd. Riot
Jan 12, 2008
On the fast track to a punched face.
Apologies if this topic has been covered. I've been reading SA all morning and it's time to get off my rear end. Before I do though:
I'm looking for an amp to use for practice and busking with a bass, probably usually distorted/effect-ed. It's gotta be portable, powerful enough to handle bass (though not necessarily built for it) and battery-powered for street performance.
For reference, I've got a 3/4 size Ibanez (this one)
So far, this seems like the best option, though a music store dude mentioned that Roland (I think) makes a good one too.
Any suggestions for a good amp with these goals? Used would be grand of course, and I've been checking out craigslist. Anybody with experience in this area have any tips?

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
I'm kinda confused on how my Spider Valve head works.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...ELAID=410758749

It's powered by tubes but obviously the tone modeling is digital. Is it considered a real tube amp or what? I'm having a ton of trouble finding a good distortion setting with my 1960 Marshall 4x12 (for death metal playing specifically) and my other guitarist's 6505 into a Line 6 4x12 just completely overpowers my amp in volume somehow.

the Bunt fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 31, 2012

Sirius Sam
Apr 12, 2005

BUTTCHEEKS

the Bunt posted:

It's powered by tubes but obviously the tone modeling is digital. Is it considered a real tube amp or what? I'm having a ton of trouble finding a good distortion setting with my 1960 Marshall 4x12 (for death metal playing specifically) and my other guitarist's 6505 into a Line 6 4x12 just completely overpowers my amp in volume somehow.

The 6505 is going to blow most amps out of the water in terms of volume because it's a 120 watt all tube head. I'm not entirely sure how Line 6 stuff works either. I didn't even know they made anything with tubes in them. I just know that with all the digital stuff they have there's no way they're running like an all tube head would.

You're gonna have a hard time overpowering a 6505 with pretty much anything. They're VERY loud amps.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

the Bunt posted:

"Real" tube amp don't mean nothing. But:

Wattage doesn't equal volume, different amps of the same reported wattage can have different levels from each other.

Frequency content matters a lot, if your amp isn't kicking out frequencies that work with the mix it wont be heard (I had a spider valve mk1 and it was awful at this).

If you want to be heard your best bet is to find a tone thats sitting in a diffenrt frequency range from him, if he's dark go bright or similar. Also get a new amp.

As to how the spider valve works its a digital pre amp into a tube power amp. Its also MODELLING a power amp in the pre section which is part of why its so garbage. They changed this in the DT25 where the actual power section changes physically to accomidate for the tone.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 31, 2012

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

massive spider posted:

"Real" tube amp don't mean nothing. But:

Wattage doesn't equal volume, different amps of the same reported wattage can have different levels from each other.

Frequency content matters a lot, if your amp isn't kicking out frequencies that work with the mix it wont be heard (I had a spider valve mk1 and it was awful at this).

If you want to be heard your best bet is to find a tone thats sitting in a diffenrt frequency range from him, if he's dark go bright or similar. Also get a new amp.

As to how the spider valve works its a digital pre amp into a tube power amp. Its also MODELLING a power amp in the pre section which is part of why its so garbage. They changed this in the DT25 where the actual power section changes physically to accomidate for the tone.

Thanks, noted. You have any particular recommendations for a better head? I might just end up getting another 6505 but I'd like to play the field a bit because all I ever hear about metal guys playing with it 5150s or 6505s

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Honestly theres tonnes of poo poo, depending on your price range.

5150s are popular for a reason, they are pretty much The Sound for that kind of music.

Oranges rockerverbs are loving great and one of my favorite high gain heads ever. Warm and ballsy but still tight.

Blackstar do the HT series which are pretty versatile, although I find their voicing to be a bit dark, it may not cut well over a 5150.

I love the sound of ENGL fireballs, real high gain and aggressive in the midrange.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 1, 2012

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

massive spider posted:

Honestly theres tonnes of poo poo, depending on your price range.

5150s are popular for a reason, they are pretty much The Sound for that kind of music.

Oranges rockerverbs are loving great and one of my favorite high gain heads ever. Warm and ballsy but still tight.

Blackstar do the HT series which are pretty versatile, although I find their voicing to be a bit dark, it may not cut well over a 5150.

I love the sound of ENGL fireballs, real high gain and aggressive in the midrange.

The ones I'm mostly looking at are ENGL Powerball and Framus Cobra. The Cobra is definitely more in my pricerange but I'd rather splurge to get the ENGL if it will be worth it.

Is there a general beginner's guide to this kind of stuff, or should I just go back and read this thread through?

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Has anyone got any recommendations for tube amps at around 15W? Should have a great clean channel, I'm not bothered about a crunch channel as overdrive/fuzz will come from pedals. It would mostly be used at home and small gigs. As in very small.

I'd be playing blues/jazz/fusion via a twin humbuckered Tele, should that be important.

Thank you in advance.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

I basically want to know what the guy above said except more blues + rock than jazz.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
You could get what I got on Wednesday (apologies for the remarkably bad picture)...

65amps Ventura. 20W, two channels--one very Fender Deluxe-ish, one much like a Marshall combo--shared volume/tone knobs, master voltage (amp sounds better at low volumes than with a master volume). It's also got this thing they call a bump circuit, which essentially feeds more power into the tubes to make things break up a bit more than usual. I bought the combo, and it has a Celestion 12" speaker.

It sounds absolutely fantastic. I've got a Blackstar HT5 as a practice amp and an Orange AD30TC that I bought when I thought I was going to make more stoner-type rock, and I'm getting rid of both of those. It also takes pedals remarkably well--my fuzz pedal is *way* more usable with this than with the Orange. I honestly don't know what sort of amp beyond this I would ever need at this point (considering I don't like the ridiculously high-gain stuff).

It's expensive ($1750 for combo), but holy god it sounds good. They were hard to find for a while (I had to wait 7 weeks for mine), but they seem to be in okay supply now.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

That actually sounds really good. Unfortunately don't have $2k to drop on something like that :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

I tried out a 65 Lil Elvis a couple days ago and that was a nice sounding amp. Apparently, I tried that that "Bump" switch you mentioned and it has possibilities. The thing I liked the most was the square wave tremolo which had a funky "on/off" stutter you won't find on Fender type tremolos. Even used, it was rather pricey.

Apparently, it's called 'Lil Elvis' because Elvis Costello had input on the design.