Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that Coyote is actually going to chastise Annie for being flippant with the Gunnerkrigg administration and skipping out on detention.

Because that is not what anyone expects him to bring up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
But you expected it and now it can't be true!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Nah he actually just figured out eye lasers and is calling Annie so he can brag about his awesome new eye lasers.

Micgael
Aug 8, 2007

"Gimme a kiss."

Shugojin posted:

Nah he actually just figured out eye lasers and is calling Annie so he can brag about his awesome new eye lasers.

Pretty girls love it when he juggles his laser eyes.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Elysiume posted:

But you expected it and now it can't be true!

Pretty much. I'm kinda all 'look at us, trying to predict what will happen. In Gunnerkrigg. HAH!

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Shugojin posted:

But the cows already got that one down

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

pandaK posted:

But the cows already got that one down

Technology has begun to outstrip Etherics!

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

I want to throw my money at Tom for City Face merchandise!

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
City Face drinking bird please

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pastrymancy posted:

I want to throw my money at Tom for City Face merchandise!

That wouldn't be kickstarter, though, that'd just be eBay. At least if we're talking those cool paintings.

Tom seems allergic to the idea of making money, though.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Well, Coyote seems happy to see her.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
The maddest face.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Annie, your about a couple thousand years too early to try and pull one over on Coyote. It was a good attempt, but Coyote is reminding her about the "god" portion of trickster god.

It's all fun and games until he eats you as a joke.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 11, 2012

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Oh Annie, you are still only a troll apprentice.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

The pretty girls love it when I swallow them whole!

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Coyote is the best.

"Boo to you." :allears:

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret
Well, I guess we now know who Mort should really be getting lessons from.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You simply cannot out-prank Coyote. He is the best there is.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Literally every panel of this has some nice avatar material.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Wrist Watch posted:

Literally every panel of this has some nice avatar material.
Seriously, every panel of Coyote is avatar-worthy.

I love how simple and cute this is - we have no significant plot development, but a young girl just tried to surprise a trickster GOD and found out he had a counter-prank planned.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

ABOUT DRUGS posted:

I love how simple and cute this is - we have no significant plot development, but a young girl just tried to surprise a trickster GOD and found out he had a counter-prank planned.

It also gives us a sense of Coyote's idea of a prank. He takes everything to a grand scale, and in this case, one could say the results are slightly terrifying.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

I'm claiming this for myself in a moment. Suggestions for title text or go textless?

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

Brannock posted:

I'm claiming this for myself. Suggestions for title text or go textless?

The rocks and stones, my powerful teeth!

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Brannock posted:

I'm claiming this for myself in a moment. Suggestions for title text or go textless?

BOING

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Brannock posted:

ATP_Power posted:

The pretty girls love it when I swallow them whole!

:colbert:

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Brannock posted:

"Boo to you."

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

ATP_Power posted:

I visited the British natural history museum today and noticed a little plaque in their geology wing talking about the mineral stibnite:

Probably has no major bearing on the characters, but it's a cool little touch of trivia.

Unless Coyote plans on grinding Annie up for eye shadow or making bullets with her, great secret indeed.

Isn't Stibnite Surma's maiden name? Nice reference there, with it being the source of antimony.
(also I'm gonna go all fan-who-sees-way-too-much-into-things and claim that Annie's liberal usage of eye shadow is a reference to antimony and stibnite being used as make up)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yep, Surma was Surma Stibnite. With all the we can infer from that.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Matlock Birthmark posted:

It also gives us a sense of Coyote's idea of a prank. He takes everything to a grand scale, and in this case, one could say the results are slightly terrifying.

Yes, this. If Annie did not notice and did not move out of the way in time, what then? Basically Coyote does not have any idea when something is a prank... and when it's a matter of life and death.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

ABOUT DRUGS posted:

Seriously, every panel of Coyote is avatar-worthy.

You think he had to plan?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Fangz posted:

Yes, this. If Annie did not notice and did not move out of the way in time, what then?

Well, then it's time to disguise his tongue as Annie and hope the ruse lasts, or he gets bored, whichever comes first. Weekend at Gunnerkrigg!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Well, then it's time to disguise his tongue as Annie and hope the ruse lasts, or he gets bored, whichever comes first. Weekend at Gunnerkrigg!

JONES' IDENTITY REVEALED!!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Wandering Tastebud!

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
This is going to sound pretty crazy because I'm attempting to use physics terminology on a mythical figure, and I really need to get to sleep, but here goes:
Coyote is a quantum individual.
See, in the panel where it looks like Coyote is just sitting there, Coyote was in a state of prank and no-prank, but when Annie collapsed the field by trying to prank Coyote she encountered the cavemouth, whereas if she simply greeted Coyote the little figure that turned out to be his tongue would have been Coyote.
The Quantum Coyote field almost always collapses in a way that will provide the most amusement for Coyote.
So, rule of thumb, don't try to prank Coyote since it'll never work.

Edit: VVV That too. I am no physicist.

VanSandman fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jul 12, 2012

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

VanSandman posted:

This is going to sound pretty crazy because I'm attempting to use physics terminology on a mythical figure, and I really need to get to sleep, but here goes:
See, in the panel where it looks like Coyote is just sitting there, Coyote was in a state of prank and no-prank, but when Annie collapsed the field by trying to prank Coyote she encountered the cavemouth, whereas if she simply greeted Coyote the little figure that turned out to be his tongue would have been Coyote.
The Quantum Coyote field almost always collapses in a way that will provide the most amusement for Coyote.

Disclaimer: Not actually anything like quantum mechanics.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

VanSandman posted:

Schrodinger's Prank

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Parahexavoctal posted:

You think he had to plan?

Well, I mean, Coyote probably wasn't a cave with a fake Coyote for a tongue for no reas...

Alright fine so he probably didn't plan it, sheesh!

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

thespaceinvader posted:

Yep, Surma was Surma Stibnite. With all the we can infer from that.

Wikipedia posted:

The natural sulfide of antimony, stibnite, was known and used ever since protodynastic Ancient Egypt as a medication and a cosmetic.

Maybe that would explain this page. Makeup gives her a closer tie to her mother, or something...

KSAF Staff Report
Dec 5, 2011

#acolyte faggot Hall of Fame
Ask me about trying to get published by The Black Library in between the minutes of Traffic Court reporting. Also ask me about having a game survival rate worse than the Infant Mortality Rate of Afghanistan
Normally, I don’t overthink my comics. And normally I don’t read webcomics, but somehow, what Jones is has got to me. :psyduck:
I went through some iterations, rejecting the “are you a robot” pretty quickly, although her mass seems to indicate that she is not human. But the Gunnerkrig court definition of “human” seems to be pretty loose, as Annie and the pyschic one are humans.
I kicked around the idea that Jones was possibly a representation of the Court. She seems emotionless, a counterpoint to the forest creatures that that positively bubble over with emotion. She knows much of what goes on in the court, although some things are hidden from her.
I also don’t think she has ever said “magic,” even though they are blatantly steeped in it. She also comments that Antimony’s realization of her use of pronouns to do not connect herself to either side. http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=375
This could be considered irrelevant, as she is one side. And saying “me” would be too far, even for her. Especially if she doesn’t realize she is the Court, with blatantly cuts itself off from its own past.
She claims she is able to simply take Annie back. I doubt this is a bluff, with how Coyote responds to it. Annie, at least for the moment, seems to belong to the Court. Just as the fairies have to die to transition to the court, it seems humans have to make great efforts to leave it. Remember Allie’s folks, who had to undergo some sort of a “test” to leave.
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=377 “Indoors and at close range, she would flatten me.” Well, indoors is the domain of humans and human science. It would make sense the expression of human science would be strongest there.
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=725 Look at the specific use of a computer metaphor here. That’s very specific, overly so. As a personification of human science would be pointed towards
Also, “Many of these are kept secret, even from me.” That seems to indicate a very powerful position, but one that’s deliberately left vague. We have a pretty good idea of what each person does. Except for Jones. We know she is a tutor for the mediums, but that is demonstrably not her only job.
Jones and Mr. Donlan can’t use blinker stones. Donlan’s “power” seems to be hard science to the extreme, although he is able to use etherics/magic with the help of his wife. It would then make sense that the Court couldn’t use magic, if she is science.
She also masses a considerale amount. http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=727
I assume from this that if she had stepped on the dock, the whole thing would have come crashing down. That bizzare possibility could be many things. The amount of power she puts forth to shatter the wall and her ability to shrug off the sword cut indicates a certain super- or uberhuman position.
But I discounted that, as personification of science doesn’t seem to fit the milieu. Or the Court.
Then I determined I was on the right track of something. Jones is Jeanne.
I don’t think Jones can lie. http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=585 It would make sense, if she was a representation of the court, that she didn’t know who Jeanne was, as no one was supposed to.

The weakest support is an extrapoltion from from http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=657, but it’s decidely similar faces and similar expresssions. Also, Jeanne is the French version of the name Jones. I think.
And then we find that “what remained of my spirit, my anger, my hate, was forged, white hot, into a sentinel of these waters.” http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=779
But what’s left? Some of her emotion, surely. And she’s not dead. What happened to that remainder? Jones. Her fencing abilities would remain, as it’s part of what Jeanne was, on a very basic level.
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=817
Now, I am confused by Coyote calling her “Wandering Eye.” Coyote gives out nicknames, that’s what he does. But as we saw with “Firehead Girl,” they’re deeper than they first appear. Surveilence is something the court does. And Coyote asks Jones if that’s the latest name she’s stolen. Could it be that Jones is a spirit without a name, borrowing the Anglicized name of Jeanne?

TLDR: Jones is part of Jeanne's spirit.

Christ. 698 words on what a character in a webcomic is. This is either a very good sign on the writer's part or a sign of my mind finally breaking down.

KSAF Staff Report fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I think...that she's not the court.

1: As noted, Wandering Eye wouldn't fit too well with something that was recently, comparatively, created, and is extremely set in place, and I don't think Coyote would give a "wrong" name.

2: Annie knows what Jones is, or at least, as well as she's able to understand Coyote's explanation of it. And since she doesn't know much about the Court apart from growing from the seed bismuth, I doubt Jones and the Court are related at that base a level.

3: I somehow can't see Tea making a character the literal personification of a set of buildings.

Now, I would have originally assumed that Jones is another Reynardine-like character-- possibly one of those giants that they mention occasionally, with some sort of shapeshifting ability (possibly granted by Coyote). Which would fit a bit better with the Wandering Eye comment.

That said, I can't easily make that assumption, because it seems like Annie would be able to grok that easily enough. Which means that she's something so completely foreign and unrelated to what we've seen so far that we probably can't even start to guess what she actually is.