Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

And speaking of iPhone friends, GoSMS has an emoji plugin that will make them all happy :rolleyes:

Have you had any problems with this? I've seen maybe half of the emoji whatevers work. Some of them work just fine but a good bit just refuse to show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

Skeezy posted:

Twitter for Android updated today for those of you who care:

Good stuff! Although the Twitter app still forgets my login credentials when I reset my device (rooted). Not really an issue, just an nuisance.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

MindlessHavok posted:

Have you had any problems with this? I've seen maybe half of the emoji whatevers work. Some of them work just fine but a good bit just refuse to show up.

It never worked for me.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Is it just me or does the official Twitter app have a noticeable lag whenever you open that send tweet pop-up or refresh the timeline? I'm using an EVO 4G (rooted) and no other application has this. Is it a fault of the app itself or is my phone just not up to par with what is needed to run it right?

Plume doesn't do that for me ever, heck no other app does that for me. I really want to use the official app since I like a lot of what it does but that lag is so noticeable that I can't do it.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Skeezy posted:

It's all well and good to me but the official Twitter app is slower for me than Plume.

I've moved on from Boid, which I moved onto from Plume. I'm all about Tweet Lanes now. It's rock solid already with the best Holo integration I've seen.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Teeter posted:

LEDs drive me crazy. I've already gone on a fit with electrical tape to black out every device in my room so that it's as dark as I like for sleeping, but I've still got the one on my phone. During the day it's nice to have the charging notification so that I can tell how much juice it has from across the room but at night it's just an annoyance right next to my bed and I have to turn it upside down to sleep. I'd like to disable the charging LED, but only if it's plugged in after 10pm.

This sounds like a prime situation for Tasker but I'm not sure I want to jump in to that yet. Any alternatives?

Light Flow does exactly that. You can define a sleep start and end time in the settings and after that you'll never have to touch it again.
Also you can change the color of your notifications all pretty-like. :3:

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
What's a good android RDP app? I want to use my PC from my couch through my Revue.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

deadwing posted:

I've moved on from Boid, which I moved onto from Plume. I'm all about Tweet Lanes now. It's rock solid already with the best Holo integration I've seen.

I'm stilling using Boid for my "main" Twitter app (still have the official app installed, at least for now), but I just installed this. I wish they had a dark theme, as I'm running dark themes on everything I can, but maybe it'll come in the future.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Karthe posted:

What's a good android RDP app? I want to use my PC from my couch through my Revue.

I was about to say I use one by Xtralogic called "Remote Desktop", but then you threw a curveball by saying for the Revue. I wouldn't mind knowing that as well. I wish there were more compatible apps for the revue. I've tried side loading some, but a lot just don't work.

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

MindlessHavok posted:

Not one problem yet. As opposed to Handcent, which was pretty unreliable on my Galaxy Nexus.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

I have this dream where I am able to use the onenote sharing functionality for carrying my massive amounts of notes around on a wifi android tablet for my clinics just like the mac people can do with their ipads.

I was trying to test it on my phone, assuming (perhaps erroneously since it's running 4.0.4) that my Nexus phone would work pretty much the same as an android tablet. I got it to work going from my Lenovo to the phone app, where I then found out that the onenote android app really sucks for what I want it to do because it doesn't display any of the printouts or writing that were on the actual computer documents, only written text. I tried to run it through the phone's chrome browser, which was also a fail because they don't even open like they do in regular chrome. I'm assuming that this is not a functionality that is in demand, which is frustrating to me. Is this something the OnLive desktop app could help me do? Am I over complicating this?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Forgive me if this was asked recently, but I'm looking for a different browser just to try out different stuff than the Gingerbread stock one. What do most people use? I saw something about ICS browsers earlier, but I can't really try that out since I don't have ICS.

Looking at the app store, Dolphin looks interesting but it feels like they're trying way too hard to shove voice commands into it. I like the gestures though, anything else that has them?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Wrist Watch posted:

Forgive me if this was asked recently, but I'm looking for a different browser just to try out different stuff than the Gingerbread stock one. What do most people use? I saw something about ICS browsers earlier, but I can't really try that out since I don't have ICS.

Looking at the app store, Dolphin looks interesting but it feels like they're trying way too hard to shove voice commands into it. I like the gestures though, anything else that has them?

Dolphin is going to be your best bet unless you want to look at Boat Browser.

Speaking of Dolphin HD, is anyone having this issue where the browser will randomly close on them?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Wrist Watch posted:

I don't know about gestures, but when I was on GB (back on my Thunderdolt!) I used Boat. Very quick browser.

Skeezy posted:

Speaking of Dolphin HD, is anyone having this issue where the browser will randomly close on them?

I would try clearing data.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Skeezy posted:

Dolphin is going to be your best bet unless you want to look at Boat Browser.

Is Dolphin still shipping your browsing history back out to the developers? Or did they give that up after the lynch mob in October?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Midjack posted:

Is Dolphin still shipping your browsing history back out to the developers? Or did they give that up after the lynch mob in October?

Pretty sure they stopped doing that stuff ages ago.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

deadwing posted:

Does it have the capacity to block/mute users? That's my favorite part of Plume, but last day or so Plume has been working pretty poorly.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

highme posted:

Does it have the capacity to block/mute users? That's my favorite part of Plume, but last day or so Plume has been working pretty poorly.

If you're using Plume for the Streaming option it's been running really poorly to the point of the stream not even working. I'm using the latest beta build of the forum 4.06 (40061) and the stream is still messed up. Manual updating works fine though.

highme
May 25, 2001

Mostly my columns from hashtags/lists are only saving tweets from earlier in the day and each new tweet to that hash ends up deleted when I refresh it again.

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

Enelrahc posted:

I have this dream where I am able to use the onenote sharing functionality for carrying my massive amounts of notes around on a wifi android tablet for my clinics just like the mac people can do with their ipads.

Have you tried Evernote? It may be a chore importing OneNote files into it though...

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Unfortunately it's a reasonable assumption that OneNote is going to work kind of crap on Android, as it's made by the direct competition. Much like how iTunes is horrible on a PC. v:shobon:v

Putting in another vote for Evernote, it's great and not tied to a single platform/OS. Here's some explanations and how-tos that helped a lot when I was working out how to approach it. My wife uses the hell out of it on an iPhone as well.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
One Note works just fine for what it does on my Galaxy Nexus. Which is surprising, considering it is Microsoft.

It would be sweet if it was optimized for tablets, though.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Let me start by saying that I hate iTunes and refuse to use it.

So, I've seen mentions of a few podcasting apps here but I'm not sure what will work for me.

I would like something that can auto download audio and video podcasts, I assume using an RSS feed, but automatically and only over wi-fi.

Does this exist?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Doggcatcher is what you want. I think there are others, but Doggcatcher has so many features. It is great.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

After a week of working perfectly the google play music app is suddenly very loud, very bassy and has a compressed sound to it. Meanwhile PowerAmp still sounds normal. Deactivating Volume+ and restarting the phone did nothing. Haven't deleted the app data yet. Oh and sometimes the app hangs for a second and plays the microsecond it's at in a loop that makes my ears bleed, even when I'm on a decent wifi connection.

Sereri fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 11, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sereri posted:

After a week of working perfectly the google play music app is suddenly very loud, very bassy and has a compressed sound to it. Meanwhile PowerAmp still sounds normal. Deactivating Volume+ and restarting the phone did nothing. Haven't deleted the app data yet. Oh and sometimes the app hangs for a second and plays the microsecond it's at in a loop that makes my ears bleed, even when I'm on a decent wifi connection.
Did you accidentally activate the equalizer? In the now playing screen, menu, Equalizer.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

LastInLine posted:

Did you accidentally activate the equalizer? In the now playing screen, menu, Equalizer.

I already tried that, I can tone down the bass with that but it's still 3-4 times louder than anything else.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Bonzo posted:

Let me start by saying that I hate iTunes and refuse to use it.

So, I've seen mentions of a few podcasting apps here but I'm not sure what will work for me.

I would like something that can auto download audio and video podcasts, I assume using an RSS feed, but automatically and only over wi-fi.

Does this exist?

Pocket Casts.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Thermopyle posted:

Pocket Casts.

I remember this now. And since it seems they tailor to TWiT I think I'll grab that one since those are the podcasts I'm interested in.

Thanks

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
I no longer receive notifications from Gmail and I can't sign into Google talk. I've reflashed Google apps. In addition, I removed and re-added my Google account and resynced all my stuff. Still no dice. Any other ideas? My contacts sync just fine. Clearing data doesn't do anything.

Oh yeah, I also can't update my stuff from the Google Play website even though I assign it to my main device. There's another problem there on top of that.

highme
May 25, 2001

I had a problem earlier where my Gmail notifications/auto-sync broke. I think I tracked it down to bad calendar data from the simple text widget. It would propagate across 3 or 4 different roms etc., because when I would restore system data with Titanium the bad calendar data would be restored. Once I stopped using that widget and quit restoring the data the problem stopped.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I've been having an issue with Google Earth on my Transformer TF300. The program loads fine, but when I zoom down to street level and attempt to use the 3D view (for example, zooming in on San Francisco), the app starts to hang and has crashed on me more than once. In the past I hadn't had any problems using it, so I'm wondering if there was a recent update that broke it. Anyone been experiencing anything similar, or have any idea what might be causing the hangs? No apps were downloading at the time or anything, and I have the tablet set to "performance" mode.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Ok I've just sent an email from the Gmail app, after I hit send I notice one of the words is underlined. I checked the email through the Gmail.com site in the browser to check it wasn't just a screen/app glitch, but it's there too.

I've no idea how it happened and I really wish it hadn't!

How do I make sure it doesn't happen again.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

For anyone using SwiftKey, are you noticing lag with it at all? I noticed it in the official twitter app, whenever I switch to the default keyboard I don't get the lag I was complaining about earlier.

Such a shame really since SwiftKey X didn't have this issue.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

Skeezy posted:

For anyone using SwiftKey, are you noticing lag with it at all? I noticed it in the official twitter app, whenever I switch to the default keyboard I don't get the lag I was complaining about earlier.

Such a shame really since SwiftKey X didn't have this issue.
I have seen a delayed response to my typing once in a while but I hadn't thought about it being the keyboard (I just assumed it was Facebook's fault). It still seems to pick up all the letters I hit and do all the autocorrecting properly, it just isn't displaying or doing the haptic feedback until it catches up.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Speaking of the GMail app, does anybody else have trouble sending attachments with it? Regardless of if I attach files through a file browser or if I attach them after starting the new message, they'll appear to be attached, but then the email will get sent with no attachments.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Cruseydr posted:

I have seen a delayed response to my typing once in a while but I hadn't thought about it being the keyboard (I just assumed it was Facebook's fault). It still seems to pick up all the letters I hit and do all the autocorrecting properly, it just isn't displaying or doing the haptic feedback until it catches up.

http://www.androidcentral.com/facebook-update-requires-froyo-promises-faster-app

Speaking of Facebook, the app just updated and it should be faster I guess.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Skeezy posted:

http://www.androidcentral.com/facebook-update-requires-froyo-promises-faster-app

And now requires Phone State for whatever reason.

Honestly, I've been much happier with the Facebook app since I just disabled my GPS radio. Facebook was pretty much the only thing that ever used it. And it used it SO MUCH. I wonder if that's fixed in the new version.

Also regarding Facebook, mine started giving me this notification at the top of my feed suggesting I turn on Facebook notifications through text messages. The only options are to change my saved phone number or enable the notifications... any idea how I make that drat thing go away?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Skeezy posted:

Maybe now the remaining ~5% Pre-Froyo will finally die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

Sereri posted:

Maybe now the remaining ~5% Pre-Froyo will finally die.

The mobile website shall live eternal.

• Locked thread