Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Stopped in on NASIOC today (heh), is there a legitimate reason to swap out differential(or any other) fluids and what not from the factory spec to FancyCompany StuffTM?

edit: 2012 Impreza

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Totally TWISTED posted:

Stopped in on NASIOC today (heh), is there a legitimate reason to swap out differential(or any other) fluids and what not from the factory spec to FancyCompany StuffTM?

No.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

... exceptionally insightful.

There most certainly is an advantage, that is, with a standard transmission. In my recently sold '11 STi, I changed transmission and differential fluids to Motul counterparts. Shifting improved dramatically, a beyond belief sort of transformation.

What additional details can you share regarding the specs of your new Impreza?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

thealphabetsez posted:

... exceptionally insightful.

There most certainly is an advantage, that is, with a standard transmission. In my recently sold '11 STi, I changed transmission and differential fluids to Motul counterparts. Shifting improved dramatically, a beyond belief sort of transformation.

What additional details can you share regarding the specs of your new Impreza?

It's not an STI, it's a vanilla Impreza. Follow your manual, do the maintenance at the dealer, and don't waste your money on snake oil.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Totally TWISTED posted:

Redline Lightweight shockproof owns pretty hard and isnt expensive at Summit. This was in my 02.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Totally TWISTED posted:

Side note: We have been driving one of these as a Demo vehicle for the last 2 weeks. I really like how smooth the 6 speed automatic is. I also found myself downshifting with the paddle shift on off-ramps and was pleasantly surprised to find the computer is smart enough to know when to go back to automatic mode.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Totally TWISTED posted:

My understanding is that sticking with Subaru Extra-S gear oil is the right thing to do with the 5MT's. Likely the same is true with the 6MT's as well.

Amandyke fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 10, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Do you mean Extra-S? I have a quantity of that waiting to get chucked into a 5MT.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Hello goons. I need to buy a commuter for 2-4k. I want another Subaru because I will have to commute in snow, with morons. What's a good vintage? I want manual. I'm choosing cheap, reliable, not fast. I lust after a 2.5RS from pre WRX in America days, but I don't think I'll find a good one in my price range.

I live in Denver, so I feel like Subarus are available. What's a nice, boring, reliable ride without too many known problems? I know about the older head gaskets, but I don't know the relevant years. I'm decent at repairing old Japanese cars, but I'm not equipped or motivated to disassemble a motor. What about a 90's outback sport? We really like our 2010 OBS. Recommend me a car?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Thanks for the replies.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Hello goons. I need to buy a commuter for 2-4k. I want another Subaru because I will have to commute in snow, with morons. What's a good vintage? I want manual. I'm choosing cheap, reliable, not fast. I lust after a 2.5RS from pre WRX in America days, but I don't think I'll find a good one in my price range.

I live in Denver, so I feel like Subarus are available. What's a nice, boring, reliable ride without too many known problems? I know about the older head gaskets, but I don't know the relevant years. I'm decent at repairing old Japanese cars, but I'm not equipped or motivated to disassemble a motor. What about a 90's outback sport? We really like our 2010 OBS. Recommend me a car?

Well what's nice about getting a subaru in mid to late 90's that have had head gasket issues is that most of them that are on the road today have gotten them replaced. One thing I would look for is paper work pertaining to the replacement of the head gaskets. As for a model for a commuter car you could never go wrong with a forester, lots of clearance, room, and just all around awesome. Any subaru would probably do but my personal favorite is the forester.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Either go with a 90's 2.2L impreza or legacy/outback or a later impreza or legacy.

If you go with a 2.2 you just have to worry about maintenance items and rust.

If you go with a 00+ 2.5L car, you just have to worry about headgaskets and maintenance items and rust.

Oh yeah, you can get a forester, but find a 00+.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
gently caress. :smith:

Anyone have hints on getting the transmission back into a WRX? We just can't seem to close that last inch.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

gently caress. :smith:

Anyone have hints on getting the transmission back into a WRX? We just can't seem to close that last inch.

Big fuckin hammer.

I'm not completely sure, that's just my solution for everything

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
definitely not unless you want to wreck the clutch disc.

Firstly make sure the TOB hasn't slipped off the front of the snout and is stuck between there and the pressure plate.

Turning either the crank or the prop shaft back and forth while you push (with it in gear) will rotate the snout to help it slide into the disc.

I like to support the front of the engine somehow so it is angled back a bit and doesn't move around as much while you are trying to slide on the transmission. It also makes it easier to get a straight angle at it, because otherwise the engine will sag forward and you won't be able to get the mating surfaces parallel, and if it's not lined up the trans won't want to slide on. With a lift and a screw jack under the engine it's easy. A block of wood shoved between the oil pan and crossmember also works, or even an extra person with a breaker bar on the crank pulley pushing the engine back and turning the crank at the same time.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

We keep hitting the lower corner of the turbo with the upper of the transmission - does that mean our angles are all jacked up or is that normal?

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009
Might of been posted. Very 3 stooges like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjzbVqADiWo

Edit: Bad title.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_qCd6Lx7pE

This 2007 Impreza STI Spec C sounds AMAZING.

More info about the setup. http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/id/2619/external-combustion-rocket-zero-lag-teaser.aspx

The owner is a current F1 engine builder, former engineer at Prodrive and Cosworth F1.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

We keep hitting the lower corner of the turbo with the upper of the transmission - does that mean our angles are all jacked up or is that normal?

stock up-pipe, turbo, mounting brackets? there's room. It came out, right? When people change stuff and remove the brackets sometimes there's a problem. I've had to loosen things up to get the trans past, but yours should go past. Have you done anything to angle the engine back?

The WRC motor mounts are pretty cool and swivel back to aid trans changes.

jamal fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 10, 2012

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Stock everything, it's clipping the corner of the outlet of the turbo. A prybar popped it past but I'm worried about forcing things together if everything isn't just right. I feel like as long as the splines are aligned the thing should just "pop" in place smoothly, right?

Rocketmoose
Feb 5, 2010
I am looking for a 2006-2009 sti, What should I look for while checking out/test driving these cars? Does anyone know of somewhere that sells these cars in the Massachusetts and neighboring state area?

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Picked up my 2011 STi one year ago today.

Still sexy.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Rocketmoose posted:

Does anyone know of somewhere that sells these cars in the Massachusetts and neighboring state area?

They seem to come up reasonably frequently on CL.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Picked up my 2011 STi one year ago today.

Still sexy.

I just let mine off to its new owner. One hell of a paper-exchange adventure, alas after 2-years and 36,000 miles, my 2011 STi wasn't getting used like it should have been. Now it's on to a new chapter. Loving the exhaust tips on your DGM.

My last opportunity to capture an image and I ruin it with instragram:

Whatever, judge away.

thealphabetsez fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 11, 2012

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Victory. Got the transmission in all the way in 15 minutes tonight, and everything's put back together. The clutch is much lighter than what was in there, which is great.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Going to have way more content in the next while. Just spun something in the motor at a trackday. currently looking at my sparkly oil and watching everyone go out while Im waiting for my wife to come with the truck and trailer.

Had lots of fresh Rotella T in there too. Must have just been waiting to break.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

blindjoe posted:

Going to have way more content in the next while. Just spun something in the motor at a trackday. currently looking at my sparkly oil and watching everyone go out while Im waiting for my wife to come with the truck and trailer.

Had lots of fresh Rotella T in there too. Must have just been waiting to break.

Be sure to check your pickup when you drop the oil pan.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Amandyke posted:

Be sure to check your pickup when you drop the oil pan.

Speaking from experience, it'll be pretty obvious. If it's a 2.5 Turbo then it's almost certainly going to be part of the problem

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009
Well I discovered a fantastic little problem this morning on my N/A 06 Impreza. I had been noticing for about a month that every so often a drop of oil would fall and hit my exhaust and the foul smell of burning oil could be noticed. This morning I lifted the car and long and behold I have a dreaded head gasket problem causing a very small amount of oil to drip on my exhaust.

I've concluded that I will simply just live with this problem and top oil up as needed (this problem began a month ago and so far I haven't lost any noticeable amount of oil). Also, it's an outside leak and I can only hope it stays as is for at least a while until I can A) Find a decent swap or B) Find a decent price to get the gasket replaced.

Booooooo :cry:

I will also note that I am not losing coolant!... for now.

Kolta fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 13, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That could just be a valve cover gasket.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That could just be a valve cover gasket.

It's in an awkward place and really looks like it's coming from the head, but you could be right it might be leaking from the valve cover but I'm not convinced. I would need to poke around some more remove the exhaust and oil filter cause it's directly in the crevice next to the filter. But that could be leaking down from other places such as the head.

I'm leaving on a trip in a couple days and hope to take another look when I come back. I'll try to take some photos and point to where the leak is coming from.

Kolta fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 13, 2012

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Kolta posted:

It's in an awkward place and really looks like it's coming from the head, but you could be right it might be leaking from the valve cover but I'm not convinced. I would need to poke around some more remove the exhaust and oil filter cause it's directly in the crevice next to the filter.

Never mind. Does a 2006 head gasket leak internally or externally?

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

daslog posted:

Never mind. Does a 2006 head gasket leak internally or externally?

From what I've picked up online it could be either or (inside and/or out)? Unless someone has more detail on this?

Nafix
Oct 7, 2008

:allears:

Amandyke posted:

Neither. Look at the new Impreza. 27 mpg is nothing near civic like mileage, whereas the 36mpg of the Impreza is very much like civic mileage. You can get it with a CVT (if you really want to...) and it actually has more interior room (headroom, legroom, hiproom) than the civic she's driving now (although a small amount less than the forester or legacy). The Impreza will also be cheaper than the Forester or the Legacy and I think looks really cool with the new refresh. If she's happy with the trunk space of the Civic, the 4-door Impreza has .5 cf more than the civic and the 5-door can literally fit the world inside of it (49.7 cf with the rear seats folded down).

Welp. After 8 hours at the dealership and test-driving the forester and impreza.... she owns a silver 2012 Impreza Sport.

Not only is it an AWESOME machine to drive, it's really slick looking.... and she can still make all kinds of fun of my MPG (still). Sigh.

Thanks for all your input AI goons! Maybe I'll get a Subaru after lawl school/loans/when I hit over 400k in the Crown Vic....

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Nafix posted:

Welp. After 8 hours at the dealership and test-driving the forester and impreza.... she owns a silver 2012 Impreza Sport.

Not only is it an AWESOME machine to drive, it's really slick looking.... and she can still make all kinds of fun of my MPG (still). Sigh.

Thanks for all your input AI goons! Maybe I'll get a Subaru after lawl school/loans/when I hit over 400k in the Crown Vic....

Wait till it snows.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I've already seen more 2012 Imprezas on the road than I've seen 2008-2011 (at least in hatch form.) That's no easy feat since this is Pittsburgh and you can't toss a cat in a parking lot without hitting a Subaru. I think they look really good in person.

Nafix
Oct 7, 2008

:allears:
The one the girlfriend got was (is) the hatch. Personally, I'm not sure why you WOULDN'T get the hatch - it looks amazing.

In 2013 are they keeping the same styling?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I tried looking around inside the thread but it's pretty long. Does anyone remember that site that had the fiberglass 22b widebody for GC/GF? I think jamal linked it awhile ago.

It may have been http://www.htautos.co.uk/9.html

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Well, I knew I wasn't good enough to re-assemble my car without goofing something up. I forgot the ground strap that hooks onto the bolt of the starter, apparently forcing the starter to use other grounds for power and drained the battery to the point where I couldn't start it at the grocery store. A jump got it back home, thankfully, and all I need to do is pop the IC off and undo one bolt.

Oh well...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
You got me looking at widebody kits now and and I am already feeling a premonition of pain where my money used to be.

No accounting for my bad taste (also not the kit you asked for)

http://www.aprperformance.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=65&Itemid=44