Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
After a two week break and a vacation from hell I returned to net today.

Woke up feeling like poo poo and got the time mixed up. Had to rush getting into my gear and didn't have any time for a warm up. I felt like molasses the whole game.

Thankfully my team played most of the game in their end. I only faced, maybe, 15 shots. One got in, my team buried five.

Good grief, I need to get my head out of this funk. The playoffs are no time to go wonky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
Bought this and the matching blocker yesterday. Very comfortable compared to my cruddy GDI catcher.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

titanium posted:

Check what kind of price they can get you on the new elites, I imagine they're closer to the 100's than the 80's are. I just got back from Italy a bit ago and picked up some of the pros, I'm a little worried about how stiff they are, the reports of lace bite seem like they could be legit. I didnt notice that they were any lighter but they definitely support your ankle and lock in your heel better.

Hm, I'll have to look back in the catalog. I'm not sure if they had the 2011 or 2012 catalog, and see if they're even in there.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
Video time!

http://youtu.be/LmetMJ1LuDE
First one is from a session the other week. With the exception of two right-side breakaways that I got burned on, I'm feeling more and more comfortable just getting square to the play and making sure I'm blocking with my whole body.

http://youtu.be/IqU03QR3gRg
Second one I gave a go at shooting from my helmet. It's a little longer (my daughter wanted to see everything), but I'm really happy with how it came out. While it was entertaining to review in this perspective, it also really helped me to take a look at my head tracking, making sure that I'm looking at the puck the whole way in. One thing this did expose though is my tendency to duck my head when the puck whizzes by. There's the opening shot where it goes above my head and then I duck, but other shots I don't flinch at all. I'm not sure what the trigger is.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

Bought this and the matching blocker yesterday. Very comfortable compared to my cruddy GDI catcher.

Nice. Are you still thinking about getting the pads as well? I've tried on some RBK gloves lately and I've been impressed with them.

I've been pushing myself a little too hard recently and I started getting knee soreness again, so I took the past week off from hockey. I did a couple prehab workouts during the week and I've found that I went from being able to easily do squats on the flat side of the bosu ball to struggling to even stand on it. I'm not sure if that's due to muscle fatigue, some flaw in my technique, or if the bosu balls at my gym aren't in great condition. Regardless, it is very frustrating.

I do plan on getting back on the ice on Tuesday. I'm a little worried about the soreness that I've had, but so far it has only occurred after I push myself too hard. It seems like playing one game is fine, but playing two games in a row seems to be too much for me right now.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Hazed_blue posted:

Video time!

http://youtu.be/LmetMJ1LuDE
First one is from a session the other week. With the exception of two right-side breakaways that I got burned on, I'm feeling more and more comfortable just getting square to the play and making sure I'm blocking with my whole body.

http://youtu.be/IqU03QR3gRg
Second one I gave a go at shooting from my helmet. It's a little longer (my daughter wanted to see everything), but I'm really happy with how it came out. While it was entertaining to review in this perspective, it also really helped me to take a look at my head tracking, making sure that I'm looking at the puck the whole way in. One thing this did expose though is my tendency to duck my head when the puck whizzes by. There's the opening shot where it goes above my head and then I duck, but other shots I don't flinch at all. I'm not sure what the trigger is.
YES!! I love it when you guys post videos. PEOPLE DON'T STOP.

Maybe I oughta just subscribe to all your channels.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

For the helmet cam, you really ought to put it further back on your mask and angle it downwards just slightly, so the top of your helmet is in view.

NHL channel was running a show last week where they stuck a gopro to MAF's head with that angle, and it looked really badass. The bit of helmet in view gave an anchor to the image so it was easier to watch, and the tilt made it really easy to see his catcher at work.

BulimicGoat
Mar 19, 2007
Just got my roll of slippery tape to put on my pads! Several consecutive days of 100+ degree heat forced me to pass on outdoor hockey, so I made up for it by spending $50 on tape...

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

BulimicGoat posted:

Just got my roll of slippery tape to put on my pads! Several consecutive days of 100+ degree heat forced me to pass on outdoor hockey, so I made up for it by spending $50 on tape...

You baby you.

Second playoff game is tomorrow and, thankfully, it'll only be around 86. :sun:

Back in my day, we passed out in net. :corsair:

BulimicGoat
Mar 19, 2007

VendaGoat posted:

Back in my day, we passed out in net. :corsair:

My GAA might finally drop for once...

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Got into our second round playoff game against the team that, for the most part, owns the dek.

We took ten penalties, they took two. That about sum that up?

Lost 3-0 and I can only say I want the first back.

Stupid loving me jammed my boot into the post and instead of dropping straight down, it pushed me to my right. Opened my five hole, just big enough to let in the first goal. I loving hate letting in easy shots.

The other two were terrible defensive zone turnovers. I tried to make the panic save, two of them got in.

Bottom line, the other team got into my team's head and schooled them.

The hot head goalie I mentioned before, Rick, is their goalie. He actually came out and shoved one of ours to the ground and the ref never even batted an eye. No call. Nothing.

Of course I reminded him that if he wants to fight, he has to fight me. Center ice, anytime he wants. So after the game, in the handshake line, he walks away from me and heads to center ice. Places his gear down and asks me if I want to go.

"Sure thing Rick, but you're gonna have to throw the first punch."
"In that case, good game."
"Good game Rick, good game."

I loving love hockey.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
why dudes fightin in beer league

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

T-Bone posted:

Because, some people never grow up.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

T-Bone posted:

The same reason dudes fight in inline.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
So, looks like I'm in the market for a new blocker and glove. Any suggestions? Give me a start point?

I already went to the local store and priced and tried a few on. Just wondering what you guys use and suggest?

Edit in:

Post as many of these as you have. These are awesome!
Whats the camera?

VendaGoat fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jul 11, 2012

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Hockles posted:

seen dudes fightin in co-ed softball

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I went to the skills session tonight. I actually played well, I kept my arms up more (keeping my biceps parallel to my shoulders instead of keeping my arms tucked into my side). I also did a good job of reading cross crease plays and actually managed to stay on my feet when it was appropriate and slide when it was appropriate. I am icing my knee as a precaution tonight, since I've got a game on Wednesday.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Hockles posted:

You think inline is bad you should see the neanderthals that play deck. There are constant fights in that poo poo. Guys are retarded.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

You think inline is bad you should see the neanderthals that play deck. There are constant fights in that poo poo. Guys are retarded.

I was going to argue against this, and then all the memories from my youth returned.

I barely played any Ice and did a little inline. Deck was the most malicious of the three. When we were 21, people got into fist fights and boarded others regularly. I've always been a bit calmer than most and its served me well. I've watched others get tossed for seasons or outright banned from Decks for the stupid poo poo they've caused.

I'm in the 30+ league and you can still see it. Hell even the guys on my team still do it. Thankfully, the fighting has passed.

I'd love to hear your opinion on the why of it, if you have one. Anyone?

To sum up, drat Skippy.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

VendaGoat posted:

I was going to argue against this, and then all the memories from my youth returned.

I barely played any Ice and did a little inline. Deck was the most malicious of the three. When we were 21, people got into fist fights and boarded others regularly. I've always been a bit calmer than most and its served me well. I've watched others get tossed for seasons or outright banned from Decks for the stupid poo poo they've caused.

I'm in the 30+ league and you can still see it. Hell even the guys on my team still do it. Thankfully, the fighting has passed.

To sum up, drat Skippy.

I haven't played deck, but my theory on why inline is more thuggish than ice hockey is lower barrier to entry. It's cheaper and easier for people to play inline, so people have less to lose if they get kicked out of a league for fighting and I think it also attracts more guys who are looking for an excuse to fight. I think it would be even moreso for deck, since guys don't even need to buy skates and just about anyone could potentially play.

You still get guys who are dicks playing ice, but they are fewer and far between. What you get more in ice are guys who are babies/petty and complain about the league director about everything.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 11, 2012

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

VendaGoat posted:

So, looks like I'm in the market for a new blocker and glove. Any suggestions?

The best suggestion is to do what you're doing. Try on everything and get a feel for what you like.

Related: I'm looking to get rid of a custom Battram glove and blocker set that don't fit me. They're fantastic, well built, have never been used and just do not fit my hands.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

nahanahs posted:

Related: I'm looking to get rid of a custom Battram glove and blocker set that don't fit me. They're fantastic, well built, have never been used and just do not fit my hands.
Holy poo poo, he wouldn't take a return no matter what?

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.
Why not just dispute the charge with your credit card if he wont help you out? He shouldn't be opposed to fixing them, chances are he knows he screwed up and doesn't want to admit to it. Shame on him for that, why should you pay for the goods you clearly have not gotten? A good business stands behind the product they make, not just tell you that you are wrong. Cancel the charge if he wont budge and once it is through just mail the gloves back to him, if they are so perfect he will have no trouble reselling them to a person with mini hands.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

nahanahs posted:

The best suggestion is to do what you're doing. Try on everything and get a feel for what you like.

Man, those are my colors!! Would buy them if they would fit my hands and also I didn't already have gloves.

Did you try posting on GSBB? Isn't Scott pretty active over there? Maybe he'll get shamed into some customer service.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I have tiny wrists and hands. How much were you looking for for them?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

coldwind posted:

Man, those are my colors!! Would buy them if they would fit my hands and also I didn't already have gloves.

Did you try posting on GSBB? Isn't Scott pretty active over there? Maybe he'll get shamed into some customer service.

He is active over there. nahanahs has tried dealing with Scott privately, but since he is being pig headed about it, then I see no reason why he shouldn't post about it on the Battram thread and get GSBB to shame him into doing the right thing. From what I recall it was a case where the gloves didn't physically fit, so it wasn't just a matter of needing to break them in. He could threaten to issue a chargeback, which hurts the status of his merchant account and is something that businesses try to avoid at all costs. It is a shame that Scott is handling this situation so poorly.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

nahanahs posted:

Dude...

I'm sorry to hear that, if I could try them on in person I'd make an offer.

That dude is being such a loving rear end in a top hat to you.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Oi, we lost our game 6-4 tonight with the last goal being an empty netter. It was close all game and the other team just kept getting open looks in front of the net. I made a ton of saves, but there were still a couple goals that I wanted back. One was a play where I made the save and the puck settled by my right pad, I tried covering it with my blocker, but they jammed it loose. The other was the game winning goal, where I made the save, the puck was trapped between my thigh rises and the douche somehow knocked it loose and in. I did make quite a few glove saves during the game, so keeping my trapper higher does seem to be helping.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
What it came down to as far as dealing with Battram is, why would I want to pay to ship them back, across international lines, just so I can get something back that might fit?
His arrogance about how he only produces perfection was enough to tell me it's a fight not worth having when I'd have to eat shipping costs one-way. I also really don't want to get in a forums debate with him. Arguing on the internet and all that.
His loss though. My girlfriend was planning on ordering a pair of gloves, a guy I work with was going to get a C/A and, until this, I was thinking about finally owning a C/A that fits me. None of these orders will be placed now.

Hockles posted:

I have tiny wrists and hands. How much were you looking for for them?

I'd like to get $450 for them.
They're not really "tiny", I don't think. Just smaller than mine. If I can find some sort of measuring device, I'll get you a better measurement.
And for more info, it's not that the gloves' fit is too small as a whole. It's a length issue. The top 1/2"-3/4" of my fingers just don't fit, or it leaves the back end of my hand hanging out.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

VendaGoat posted:

To sum up, drat Skippy.

Pretty much what Aniki said. Its cheaper for guys to play, and a good majority of them never really played ice before, so they just run around like goons. Partly because there's less at stake financially for them (so they think) and partly because they see it on TV in the NHL so they think its OK to do in their stupid deck game. Probably 10-20% of deck players that I see/ref/have played against are even remotely legit hockey players. The rest just think they can play.

Add to that, because you're not skating (whether its inline or ice), there's even more contact since players are just standing there and all the hotheads get even crazier.

Deck can be fun, I don't mind it, and do play it, but I'm slowly getting away from it. Roller is much more calm comparatively speaking, and a lot of the guys I played with over the last year or two have finally had enough, and we're just gonna wise up and get back to playing ice this winter (even though half the team already does....they're just giving up on deck/roller). Part of the reason why I've been on the hunt to upgrade my gear for ice. Helmet and pants are done, skates are next on the list. Debating on whether I need a new C/A or not, I think mine is right on the line of being good enough for ice. Saving up for new pads, even though the ones I have will be fine....I just really want new pads, dammit!

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

nahanahs posted:

I'd like to get $450 for them.
They're not really "tiny", I don't think. Just smaller than mine. If I can find some sort of measuring device, I'll get you a better measurement.
And for more info, it's not that the gloves' fit is too small as a whole. It's a length issue. The top 1/2"-3/4" of my fingers just don't fit, or it leaves the back end of my hand hanging out.

I will pass, good luck with them.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

I've been on the hunt to upgrade my gear for ice. Helmet and pants are done, skates are next on the list. Debating on whether I need a new C/A or not, I think mine is right on the line of being good enough for ice. Saving up for new pads, even though the ones I have will be fine....I just really want new pads, dammit!

What C/A are you using right now and what level of ice hockey will you be playing? In my experience, the only ones that can't really handle the ice are the cheapest inline ones (see: Tour and Mylec).

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
Ugh. It's time to decide as to whether or not I should repalm my blocker, or just buy a new one. I've had it for six years, lots of life left, but the palm needs attention and fast. The only reason I can't decide is because I get an annual active living rebate through work, of which would cover a large chunk of a new blocker.

...but if I get a new blocker, I'm going to want a new glove to match, since my current one is the same age and condition. :ohdear:

HATE DECISIONS

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

nahanahs posted:

What it came down to as far as dealing with Battram is, why would I want to pay to ship them back, across international lines, just so I can get something back that might fit?
His arrogance about how he only produces perfection was enough to tell me it's a fight not worth having when I'd have to eat shipping costs one-way. I also really don't want to get in a forums debate with him. Arguing on the internet and all that.
Take it to the internet, man. Not just for you, but for goalies everywhere. That's seriously very lovely, and it doesn't have to turn into an argument or whatever, but it's good for people to know.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Bradf0rd posted:

What C/A are you using right now and what level of ice hockey will you be playing? In my experience, the only ones that can't really handle the ice are the cheapest inline ones (see: Tour and Mylec).

Ironically a Tour, but it's a pretty bulky, well put together one. I think the best one the make. The Aironic Pro 800.

http://www.discounthockey.com/tour-800-aironic-pro-senior-hockey-chest---arm-protector.html

As far as the transition to ice, it's probably going to be low to mid-low level. Like 40% of the guys are playing ice now, 40% haven't played in a long, long time (I'm in this group, and I didn't play goal), and probably a few are making the transition from roller to ice for the first time.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Ironically a Tour, but it's a pretty bulky, well put together one. I think the best one the make. The Aironic Pro 800.

http://www.discounthockey.com/tour-800-aironic-pro-senior-hockey-chest---arm-protector.html

As far as the transition to ice, it's probably going to be low to mid-low level. Like 40% of the guys are playing ice now, 40% haven't played in a long, long time (I'm in this group, and I didn't play goal), and probably a few are making the transition from roller to ice for the first time.

Oh, that's not a bad Tour. You'd probably be able to use that for ice hockey without any problems.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
We won our game 7-4 tonight. I was moving around well and for some reason I kept on getting super low and almost playing shots in a Quick style. As for the goals that I gave up:

1) Screened shot on a 1-on-1 that I almost got with my blocker.
2) 2-on-0, the pass went cross crease and I over slid.
3) Weird bounce. I had my legs sprawled, made the first save, then they fired a hard shot off of the shin of my pad. It some how had a backspin where it bounced off of my shin and flipped into the net. I've never seen a puck do that off of the face of my pads before.
4) Defensive breakdown, for some reason I decided to sprawl out instead of trying to get square with the shooter. I was being effective playing a psuedo-Quick style and I got carried away there.

I have no clue, how or why I kept playing super low and sprawling out. It worked, but it certainly wasn't something I planned on doing. I did face a lot of shots and I did a really good job playing wrap arounds and shutting down some quick close shots.

I also have someone that wants to buy my old mask. I was just going to keep it around as a backup, but apparently he took a shot to the mask last week that punched a hole in his mask and he kept playing. It was bad enough that someone else actually wants to buy the mask for him. I'd never heard that happening to a mask before. I will say that after getting used to the Cubberly mask, there is no way that I'm ever going back to an off the shelf mask. It is seriously my favorite piece of equipment that I own.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
For the first time in months my ankle feels 100% again after popping it just right last night right before hockey. I played pretty solid let in one goal I really wish I could have had back and while we were up 4-3 with an empty net one of our forwards had a clear shot to put it away and decided to pass it back to the point. My D misses the pass but caught up to it and passed it off to the other D man who also didnt shoot it towards the net and tried to make some dumb pass that the other team intercepted resulting in a hard breakout...scramble infront of the net...and they jammed it in with about 30 seconds left on the clock. Good lord I was pissed.

I have the gopro2 going in nets now, not sure why but even though it says 170fov it doesnt seem as wide as the 960 mode still. I'll post up vid later.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRLqpQpBlvA

I'm trying to figure out what rendering is best for Premiere CS6 but apparently I've got it off and it's doing 8bit. This is more of a me barking out orders video and then the makings of my meltdown for the last 2 mins. Notice me yell "EMPTY NET EMPTY NET". What you dont see is the guy just dump it into the corner instead of trying to shoot on net, one of our guys ending up with the puck 15ft feet out practically in the slot and not shooting the puck in the empty net and instead passing it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
I will never not be amazed by the strength in your lateral movement. That save at 1:27 is excellent.

• Locked thread