Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
Colbert was off FX about a year before TDS went off More4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah that makes sense, thanks for the clarification. I don't tend to keep up with it on UK TV, always preferred the normal US version to Global Edition.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Yeah, the Global edition doesn't work for me, I stopped watching it a few weeks after it was all that available. They edit it together in about five minutes so the cuts are always awful and jarring, but that's not as big a problem as the stuff they choose to put in it. It's less current affairs and John Stewart monologues which are the best parts of the Daily Show and more segments where someone goes and does a fake interview. I don't like any of the correspondants at all (even John Oliver who's great on the Bugle) because the all do this tongue-in-cheek persona but without being brave enough to be dry humour, and that was of delivery really grates on me.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
What the gently caress is that 'Python' advert for 'BBC3 experimental comedy'? It's neither experimental nor comic, and I hate whichever smug cunts were involved in any part of its creation.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Adam Buxton is on the telly or sutin!

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Adam Buxton is on the telly or sutin!

Was that his BUG thing on sky? Any good?

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

Brainwrong posted:

When I heard that Alan Sugar and Richard Desmond were involved in YouView I immediately assumed that it's going to fail spectacularly

I hear Sugar was plugging YouView during a speech in the Lords. Looks like his shameless plugging of his lovely products isn't limited to The Apprentice and Twitter!

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I just watched every episode of Episodes today, after the mentions of it in this thread... what a great show. I did laugh a lot more during the first series, but I still really enjoyed the second one, too.

And despite looking forward to the Nigel Planer cameo, I completely forgot, and missed him the first time through, he looks so different! (I guess his pretty decent American accent helped to throw me off, too.)

And he had the great line "Can I take off my lawyer hat for a minute? I'm talking to you as a friend... you're gonna need a much better lawyer. Cause the one you got... I don't know how the gently caress he's gonna get you out of this."

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 10, 2012

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

Captain Mediocre posted:

He does read a lot of youtube comments, so...

Chumpion
Jul 27, 2006

No means NO!

incredible bear posted:

He does read a lot of youtube comments, so...

I really enjoyed it but I honestly feel he could have done more to actually show off music videos, which was the opposite thought I had going into it. It's the kind of format that's really hard to cram into half an hour as well because as Count Buckles says it's like going round to a friends house and have him show you cool stuff, which is a great idea, it reminds me of those terrible list shows you always seen on e4 or bbc3, but if they were only half an hour long it'd be moot. If my friend and me only hung out for 12 minutes and the rest he was dancing around, introducing himself and going to advert breaks before saying goodbye I wouldn't call it a great night out.

I sound too negative, I still laughed hard at it and it was really really good.

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."

Captain Mediocre posted:

V good but pretty short. His live shows are great; maybe I've been spoilt.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
"Here's a thing we've seen on YouTube" is a plague of laziness on British TV right now. HIGNFY uses it like a crutch.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

^^People at work were watching Russell Howard's Good News and I was surprised to see that the show is pretty much just him reacting comically to things from YouTube for half an hour. And then there are several whole shows of just stuff from YouTube presented in a You've Been Framed format. I mean You've Been Framed worked because nobody in the 90s had a means of sharing their videos beyond the people they could invite to their living room to see them, provided they were posh enough to have a camcorder in the first place. Tarrant on TV worked for similar reasons: you got to see things broadcast in other countries. But in 2012? Showing videos from the Internet on television? What is the point of these shows? :smithicide:

sex pervert fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 11, 2012

Chumpion
Jul 27, 2006

No means NO!
Bug kinda works though because it isn't about Adam Buxton going 'Here check this out have you seen dis loving dog saying I love you' but is instead an attempt to publicize music videos because the rise of the internet has pretty much moved the existence of music videos away from television where it's something not often shared. Unlike Russel Howard where it is literally 60% of the program where you've already seen the videos because that's how comedy or cute videos work, music videos as a creative or interesting force aren't really shared nearly as much.

The whole point of Bug in the first place as a live performance was to treat the music videos as a creative force worth watching on a big screen as a night out. I guess that's why I think it doesn't work so much as a half hour time slot, because it genuinely does feel like going to a cool little performance gig but only being able to watch 1/5 of it every night.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Is it my imagination or is Line of Duty getting sillier with each episode?

Fleming just happens to get pulled onto desk duty exactly at the moments she's about to leave on a not very high speed car chase.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Chumpion posted:

The whole point of Bug in the first place as a live performance was to treat the music videos as a creative force worth watching on a big screen as a night out. I guess that's why I think it doesn't work so much as a half hour time slot, because it genuinely does feel like going to a cool little performance gig but only being able to watch 1/5 of it every night.

I love Buxton and there are always a few interesting music videos getting made but I still don't really see the point in BUG.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Irisi posted:

Wish the BBC would get its act together when it comes to Wimbledon and the way it inevitably overruns. The Hollow Crown was first shoved to 9.15, then to 9.30, then the tennis announcer said it was cancelled, then he corrected that and said it was showing at 10.00 on BBC2.

Very messy way of doing things, very unprofessional. If they are going to show tennis, just make sure the 2 hours of the schedule afterwards are filled with easily missable crap, not what is shaping up to be one of the finest dramas of 2012.

The Hollow Crown is the first bit of Shakespeare I've actually sat down and watched performed by professional actors (as opposed to being performed by schoolchildren or read aloud in english class) and I think I actually finally get why this stuff is considered to be good, something which utterly escaped me as a child. There has to be a better way of teaching these plays because they are really quite good but it definitely does not come across when teaching them consists of just reading them out loud from a playbook in class.

I never thought I'd see the day when I was actually thought "this is hilarious!" when watching a shakespeare play about an English King but the stuff with Falstaff and Hal was amazingly good.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Reveilled posted:

The Hollow Crown is the first bit of Shakespeare I've actually sat down and watched performed by professional actors (as opposed to being performed by schoolchildren or read aloud in english class) and I think I actually finally get why this stuff is considered to be good, something which utterly escaped me as a child. There has to be a better way of teaching these plays because they are really quite good but it definitely does not come across when teaching them consists of just reading them out loud from a playbook in class.

I never thought I'd see the day when I was actually thought "this is hilarious!" when watching a shakespeare play about an English King but the stuff with Falstaff and Hal was amazingly good.

I've seen a lot of his plays, but never Henry IV, man Hal was kind of a dick. Now I'm very curious to see him transform into the St. Crispians day guy.

Zythrst fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 11, 2012

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Reveilled posted:

It is the worst way possible to teach Shakespeare, or any dramatic work. If I had my way I'd confiscate all the texts and refuse to give them back until the kids had had a chance to actually see it performed by someone who knows what they're doing.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Trin Tragula posted:

It is the worst way possible to teach Shakespeare, or any dramatic work. If I had my way I'd confiscate all the texts and refuse to give them back until the kids had had a chance to actually see it performed by someone who knows what they're doing.

Screw that :colbert:

I derive infinate amounts more pleasure from reading a play than I do watching it on stage. Plus (especially with Shakespeare) you aren't subject to the whims of some director trying to do something new with it, which is a pointless exercise if you aren't familiar with the original text yet.

I agree that its not taught in schools very well at all (although mine happened to be pretty good), but I disagree strongly with performance-enthusiasts in general who dismiss the written work. The play format is such an excellent and engaging way to structure a text, yet many people seem to view it as an inconvenient compromise or a tool for practicing a performance.

These BBC adaptations are brilliant though.

Captain Mediocre fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 11, 2012

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Captain Mediocre posted:

I derive infinate amounts more pleasure from reading a play than I do watching it on stage. Plus (especially with Shakespeare) you aren't subject to the whims of some director trying to do something new with it, which is a pointless exercise if you aren't familiar with the original text yet.

Do you read screenplays and TV scripts as well instead of watching the production? The whole point of a script is that it's performed and interpreted by actors and directors. That's what it's for.

By all means have a look at the text so that your view of it isn't constrained by that one interpretation, but expecting kids to understand Shakespeare purely from the text and those Godawful reading-every-word-slowly-and-carefully classroom sessions is like giving a two-year-old a Dick King-Smith story and a Concise Oxford and expecting them to learn to read.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Trin Tragula posted:

Do you read screenplays and TV scripts as well instead of watching the production? The whole point of a script is that it's performed and interpreted by actors and directors. That's what it's for.

By all means have a look at the text so that your view of it isn't constrained by that one interpretation, but expecting kids to understand Shakespeare purely from the text and those Godawful reading-every-word-slowly-and-carefully classroom sessions is like giving a two-year-old a Dick King-Smith story and a Concise Oxford and expecting them to learn to read.

You're right insofar as I wouldn't advocate a solely textual approach in the classroom, but sidelining it just reinforces the idea that the written word is boring and irrelevant.

As far as the analogy goes, TV show scripts aren't typically examples of some of the finest metered poetry produced in our language. I'd rather read Shakespeare than watch it for the same reason I'd rather read a poem than listen to someone else read it out. Why filter it through a third party when you can have direct access? The words themselves are the main attraction, not the action on stage or the inflection given to it by an actor (although this can be very elucidating and enjoyable).

I'm sorry, I guess I'm not actually disagreeing with you because Shakespeare really isn't taught well in schools, I'm just being a bit pedantic in defence of reading plays. Apologies for my weird literary derail everyone else.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Captain Mediocre posted:

You're right insofar as I wouldn't advocate a solely textual approach in the classroom, but sidelining it just reinforces the idea that the written word is boring and irrelevant.

The trouble is, Shakespeare looks like so much bullshit at first reading because it's so heavily stylised and unlike the language that we speak today. When I was at school my desperately average English class quite enjoyed Of Mice and Men, but didn't have a clue what the gently caress "hand to hand is holy palmer's kiss" was supposed to be about until the teacher brought in the video of Romeo+Juliet and suddenly it was all "OH RIGHT they're supposed to be flirting" once we had a chance to hear and see how the language actually works in the context of two people talking to each other; and then with that context it became a lot easier to get our heads round the text.

There's got to be a reference point somewhere, else all you're left with is "tee hee, he said 'my naked weapon is out'".

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Zythrst posted:

I've seen a lot of his plays, but never Henry IV, man Hal was kind of a dick. Now I'm very curious to see him transform into the St. Crispians day guy.
A dick for certain, but a lovable smart arse too. My favourite bit was when they were impersonating the King, Tom Hiddleston's impression of Jeremy Irons was great, as was the tirade of insults he delivered about Falstaff.

Trin Tragula posted:

The trouble is, Shakespeare looks like so much bullshit at first reading because it's so heavily stylised and unlike the language that we speak today. When I was at school my desperately average English class quite enjoyed Of Mice and Men, but didn't have a clue what the gently caress "hand to hand is holy palmer's kiss" was supposed to be about until the teacher brought in the video of Romeo+Juliet and suddenly it was all "OH RIGHT they're supposed to be flirting" once we had a chance to hear and see how the language actually works in the context of two people talking to each other; and then with that context it became a lot easier to get our heads round the text.

There's got to be a reference point somewhere, else all you're left with is "tee hee, he said 'my naked weapon is out'".

I might be alone in this, but in English classes over the years I've done a few Shakespeare plays and I have also done the Canterbury Tales, and I found the language in the Miller's Tale easier to follow than I ever did a work of Shakespeare, because even though there are more unknown words and odd spellings in the Middle English, the grammar is simple enough that you can infer meaning from context quite easily. Whereas with the plays even though I understood what almost every individual word meant, the structure of the sentences and the metaphors made things very difficult for me. The essays I had to write on those plays were based purely on the teacher just telling us what the character were talking about rather than any actual understanding of the text.

I don't have any particular issue with playbooks, and if I understand your position as being that any study of the works should start off with the class viewing a performance of the work in order to gain an understanding of what the play is about and how certain lines should be said to impart their actual meanings before sitting down to analyse the text then I'm in full agreement. Certainly I'd think these recent BBC versions would be good ones because they seem to play things relatively straight (though I do suspect there are a few liberties taken, given some scenes happening at the same time were intercut with one another which is something you do in movies but not in plays).

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Thick of It news. Coalition! Public inquiry!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/jul/12/the-thick-of-it-leveson

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Black Mirror news. Dystopia! Complaints!

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2012/07/12/15757/another_look_in_the_black_mirror?rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I'm trying to remember a kids TV show from the mid 90s. It was ITV or C4, it was about a man and a woman who lived in a cathedral type building, with a big circular bit in the middle (like a compass?) and they had a hot air balloon in the roof that they tried to take off with, but ended up crashing.

Anyone remember it?

Wezzo
Sep 15, 2007
Rated PG

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm trying to remember a kids TV show from the mid 90s. It was ITV or C4, it was about a man and a woman who lived in a cathedral type building, with a big circular bit in the middle (like a compass?) and they had a hot air balloon in the roof that they tried to take off with, but ended up crashing.

Anyone remember it?

Alphabet Castle? Long shot, I barely remember it either, but..

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

No, not that. This was much more gothic, or as much as any kids show would be. Something like The Rotten Trolls aesthetic maybe.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
yesssssssss
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-07-12/the-thick-of-it-series-four-heads-for-exciting-and-uncharted-territory-this-autumn-on-bbc2

Radio Times posted:

The Thick of It series four heads for “exciting and uncharted territory” this autumn on BBC2

Good news for fans of biting political satire – The Thick of It is returning to British television screens this autumn for a fourth series, with seven new 30-minute episodes scheduled for broadcast on BBC2.

Expect back room deals, ministerial cock-ups and political backstabbing to go into overdrive as Malcolm Tucker and company face their toughest challenge yet – working in a country with a coalition government.

Peter Mannion MP (Roger Allam) is now the Secretary of State for The Department of Social Affairs and Citizenship (DOSAC) and he will need to work closely with Number 10's Director of Communications Stewart Pearson (Vincent Franklin) in order to outwit his new coalition partner, DOSAC's Junior Minister Fergus Williams MP (Geoffrey Streatfeild).

But never fear, Nicola Murray MP (Rebecca Front) and foul-mouthed spin doctor extraordinaire Malcolm Tucker (Peter Capaldi) are not far away. Although they have now been consigned to Her Majesty's Opposition, the pair and their team are determined to return to power in the near future – whatever it takes.

"This series takes The Thick of It into exciting and uncharted territory: a new coalition government, and Malcolm and Nicola fretting in the wings.” said creator and producer Armando Iannucci.

He added: “For the first time too a storyline takes us all the way through the series right to the bitter, bitter end, with Government and Opposition convulsed in an incident that questions every political convention imaginable, but in a funny way."

Chris Addison, Joanna Scanlan, James Smith, Olivia Poulet, Will Smith, Ben Willbond, and Rebecca Gethings are also confirmed for series four of the show.

Described by Iannucci as “Yes Minster meets Larry Sanders”, The Thick of It began life on BBC4 in 2005 and has in its three series earned numerous awards from Bafta, the Royal Television Society and the Broadcasting Press Guild. In 2009, a feature film adaptation of the series starring many of the original cast was released and In the Loop went on to be nominated at the 2010 Oscars for best adapted screenplay.

The Thick of It also inspired Iannucci's HBO political comedy, Veep, which stars Julia Louis-Dreyfus as hapless Vice President Selina Meyer attempting to suffer the slings and arrows of Capitol Hill with only the help of her equally dysfunctional aides.

While no firm transmission dates have been set for The Thick of It series four on BBC2, Iannucci fans can currently watch the excellent Veep on Monday nights at 10pm on Sky Atlantic.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Whoever is editing The Simpsons on C4 is doing a terrible job. I was watching earlier and Homer has to have his jaw wired shut. When he finds out he can't eat solid foods he sees a 'suicide machine' in the doctors office. Marge tries to stop him but he jumps in and injects himself which gives him a medicated smile on his face and it cuts to the next scene. I looked up the transcript and they cut this line out:

Hibbert: Oh, don't worry. On a man his size, that just provides sexual release.

But without that line it just looks like he's killing himself. Ridiculous.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Koburn posted:

Whoever is editing The Simpsons on C4 is doing a terrible job. I was watching earlier and Homer has to have his jaw wired shut. When he finds out he can't eat solid foods he sees a 'suicide machine' in the doctors office. Marge tries to stop him but he jumps in and injects himself which gives him a medicated smile on his face and it cuts to the next scene. I looked up the transcript and they cut this line out:

Wait until you see the episode where you see the same events from three perspectives (the one with Linguo). It's cut down to two perspectives, so nothing makes any sense.

Obligatory comment about "The one with the free porn" goes here.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

HoldYourFire posted:

I don't have Sky so I'm curious. Does that one go out on Comedy Central?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

HoldYourFire posted:

Wait until you see the episode where you see the same events from three perspectives (the one with Linguo). It's cut down to two perspectives, so nothing makes any sense.

Wait what? How do they do that? The channel 4 ones can't be that cut down surely? Regular episodes are 22 minutes and cutting out an entire 3rd act would make it about 16 tops, I'm going to have to see this sometime. That episode wasn't great but that would make it complete garbage.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Koburn posted:

Funnily enough I was watching that episode with the subtitles on, and it was in the subtitles but not the dialogue.

thebardyspoon posted:

Wait what? How do they do that? The channel 4 ones can't be that cut down surely? Regular episodes are 22 minutes and cutting out an entire 3rd act would make it about 16 tops, I'm going to have to see this sometime. That episode wasn't great but that would make it complete garbage.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-simpsons/episode-guide/series-12/episode-18 doesn't say anything about it being edited on there.

edit: Louis Spence currently doing his utmost to ruin WILTY.

stickyfngrdboy fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 13, 2012

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I don't think the channel 4 channels actually do any editing - for years I've kind of presumed they buy them per-edited from the US. The censoring to Friends used to be pretty blatant so I emailed them a few times to complain, and every time they said it was for time. Bullshit, you bought them edited down because America is dumb and shows sanitised versions of poo poo in syndication. Nowadays they sow HIMYM with seemingly no cuts in the middle of the day, and it's far racier than Friends ever was. So, yeah, the schizophrenic nature of it tells me they don't do it themselves, they show what they've got.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 14, 2012

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.
Even the idiots running comedy at BBC3 can't keep a great show down

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2012/06/29/15689/ideal_to_be_made_into_a_movie

quote:

Ideal to be made into a movie

Script now being worked on

The Johnny Vegas sitcom Ideal is to be made into a film.

Creator Graham Duff is working on a script, and filming is expected to start early next year.

Baby Cow, the company which produced all seven series of the show for the BBC Three, will make the film, too. Chief executive Henry Normal told Chortle: ‘It’s going to be set in the same place, with many of the same characters. We even brought the physical set from the BBC, our co-producers on the TV series.

‘We are aiming for it to be quite a dark psychological comedy-thriller.’

He said the show, in which Vegas plays small-time Manchester drug dealer Moz, still has a lot of support – with hardcore fans staging ‘Ideal’ nights across the country. Many feature performances from the stand-ups who played many of the characters in the TV series.

The film will be directed by Ben Wheatley, who previously made 14 episodes of the TV series, as well as episodes of The Wrong Door and Modern Toss. He was also one of the writers on Armando Iannucci’s Time Trumpet

Baby Cow is becoming increasingly active in film, with the forthcoming Alan Partridge movie being the first in which the company has been the lead producer.

Ideal ran on BBC Three from 2005 until last year – when it was axed as part of incoming controller Zai Bennett’s ‘bonfire of the comedies’, despite attracting record ratings. He has cleared the schedules of all the shows he inherited, except Russell Howard’s Good News, to make way for commissions of his own.

The show found acting roles for a whole host of live-circuit acts including Seymour Mace, Andrew Lawrence, Joanna Neary, Jo Enright, Tony Burgess and Mick Miller, who played Moz’s dad.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
gently caress yes. I'm happy to see it'll get a proper ending.

Double Happiness
Aug 4, 2010

Quit smoking reduces heart risk
Is "Mrs. Brown's Boys" actually worth watching despite it looking like complete garbage? Everyone at work is raving about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Double Happiness posted:

Is "Mrs. Brown's Boys" actually worth watching despite it looking like complete garbage? Everyone at work is raving about it.
Watch those people very closely.