Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Rumor has it that Office Depot and Gamestop will have the Nexus 7 as soon as this Thursday.

Is anyone else going to be as outraged as me when these things get to stores first before people's doorsteps? I preordered from the Play Store within minutes of the IO announcement and my order status hasn't changed.

Man I am pissed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

BoyBlunder posted:

Rumor has it that Office Depot and Gamestop will have the Nexus 7 as soon as this Thursday.

Is anyone else going to be as outraged as me when these things get to stores first before people's doorsteps? I preordered from the Play Store within minutes of the IO announcement and my order status hasn't changed.

Man I am pissed.
I must admit that I'm a tad annoyed too; though I'm in the UK, so I have no idea when it's hitting our stores.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Don't get pissed and outraged over consumer electronics. Get over it.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

Don't get pissed and outraged over consumer electronics. Get over it.

It's not getting pissed about consumer electronics; it's about placing a preorder for something - which one would assume would give you first dibs on the device on release day, give or take a day for postage - then finding out that you could have wandered into your local store on release day and picked one up.

It's about a lack of service, not a lack of item.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Rohaq posted:

It's not getting pissed about consumer electronics; it's about placing a preorder for something - which one would assume would give you first dibs on the device on release day, give or take a day for postage - then finding out that you could have wandered into your local store on release day and picked one up.

It's about a lack of service, not a lack of item.

+1

On top of that, Google is no longer cancelling Play orders for the Nexus 7. The only way to cancel an order is refuse the UPS delivery. If you're not around, and they drop off the package, you'll need to drop it off at a UPS center to return to sender.

Very frustrating.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

BoyBlunder posted:

Man I am pissed.

loving hell, is this true? I have to review them for a major news outlet and missing day 1 on this would be bad news bears. :suicide:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

BoyBlunder posted:

Any idea whether they'll also carry the cases advertised on the Play store as well?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Do we know we are not going to get our N7s on Thursday? Or at least by Monday (assuming they ship Thursday and it's 2 day shipping)? All the evidence I see is that it will be in stores on Thursday, but not that us pre-orderers won't get it then...

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

BoyBlunder posted:

On top of that, Google is no longer cancelling Play orders for the Nexus 7. The only way to cancel an order is refuse the UPS delivery. If you're not around, and they drop off the package, you'll need to drop it off at a UPS center to return to sender. Very frustrating.
:stare: they'll drop a $200-$250 package on your doorstep without a signature?

That's weird; I'd always have to pre-sign/pre-authorize anonymous delivery (which I won't) for no-signature delivery to get just about anything over $50 delivered without someone there to sign for it.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
One benefit of the pre-order is the $25 play store credit and Transformers movie.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/10/3149867/nexus-7-when-and-where-can-you-get-one

According to The Verge the sell date is separate from the retail shipping date and has yet to be set.

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 11, 2012

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

IT Guy posted:

One benefit of the pre-order is the $25 play store credit and Transformers movie.

Staples and Gamestop will both be offering this.

I called 2 local Gamestops earlier tonight to confirm this info, so YMMV with your local shops (regarding the date of availability).

Office Depot Source?: http://www.droid-life.com/2012/07/10/office-depot-expecting-to-have-in-store-nexus-7-stock-by-july-12/

edit: Jesus reading all these Nexus 7 shipping stories brings me back to CDMA Galaxy Nexus stories from Verizon

BoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 11, 2012

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

IT Guy posted:

One benefit of the pre-order is ... the Transformers movie.

That's not a benefit.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Neither is the $25 play store credit.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

right arm posted:

Neither is the $25 play store credit.

I don't know if that's completely true. You could use this on anything in the store, movies, music, apps, magazine, etc. AFAIK, there's no expiration.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Google's help pages do not say anything about the $25 play store credit being contingent on a pre-order.

http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2670129

It does depend, however, on adding a credit card to your Google account so you're more likely to spend money later.

edit:

BoyBlunder posted:

I don't know if that's completely true. You could use this on anything in the store, movies, music, apps, magazine, etc. AFAIK, there's no expiration.
Can't use it on devices, but you can on everything else. The credit does have an expiration. I activated my Nexus 7 on June 28 and Google sent me an email five minutes later telling me I have a credit. The email said the credit expires June 30 2013. So I assume maybe the general rule is that the credit's good either till next June, or for 12 months from the end of the month in which you activated the device.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 11, 2012

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

loving hell, is this true? I have to review them for a major news outlet and missing day 1 on this would be bad news bears. :suicide:

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://androidcommunity.com/nexus-7-could-hit-retail-stores-this-thursday-20120710/

Office Depot will be having the Nexus 7 (16GB) in-store starting on Thursday, apparently.

As much as I wouldn't mind ordering direct from Google...The Office Depot around here is a decent place with awesome employees so I might just have to support them and buy it there if this is true.

Yeah, I posted this a page ago.

However, Staples has said they won't ship before July 13th as per Google's instructions so maybe Google told others differently?

Also, I called that particular Office Depot and they did confirm it as being true.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yeah, I posted this a page ago.

However, Staples has said they won't ship before July 13th as per Google's instructions so maybe Google told others differently?

Also, I called that particular Office Depot and they did confirm it as being true.

There will be movies made about my sojourn on Thursday.

Thanks for the link.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

kitten smoothie posted:

Can't use it on devices, but you can on everything else. The credit does have an expiration. I activated my Nexus 7 on June 28 and Google sent me an email five minutes later telling me I have a credit. The email said the credit expires June 30 2013. So I assume maybe the general rule is that the credit's good either till next June, or for 12 months from the end of the month in which you activated the device.

Interesting, this is great to know. Thanks!

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Update for the wifi TF101 just came out, where on the Asus site can I go to get a changelog?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

BoyBlunder posted:

+1

On top of that, Google is no longer cancelling Play orders for the Nexus 7. The only way to cancel an order is refuse the UPS delivery. If you're not around, and they drop off the package, you'll need to drop it off at a UPS center to return to sender.

Very frustrating.

I called them since I'm going to be away for several days and I don't want the package to sit on my doorstep. They said they can file a UPS intercept and UPS will just return the package to them instead of shipping it.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Actually, has anyone else confirmed Best Buy in the US will have the Nexus 7? I just realized the articles i read about it were referring only the Best buy CANADA.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Mister Fister posted:

Actually, has anyone else confirmed Best Buy in the US will have the Nexus 7? I just realized the articles i read about it were referring only the Best buy CANADA.

Right now, that looks like the only Best Buy to be carrying it. So far the stores seem to be:

Staples
GameStop
Best Buy (Canada)
Fry's Electronics
Office Depot
Ebuyer
Dixons UK
Abt
Future Shop
Adorama
B&H
and Google Play

8GB seems to be a Play exclusive variant and everyone else will be carrying the 16GB variant.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/10/3149867/nexus-7-when-and-where-can-you-get-one

I hope that the 8GB variant will be sold in brick and mortar stores. If not, then there's no point to trying to go against the Fire. Most people will look at that extra $49 on the 16GB Nexus 7 and pick the Fire anyway.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

ThermoPhysical posted:

I hope that the 8GB variant will be sold in brick and mortar stores. If not, then there's no point to trying to go against the Fire. Most people will look at that extra $49 on the 16GB Nexus 7 and pick the Fire anyway.

It's likely the profit margin on the 8GB is too small. The retailers aren't going to sell it if they don't get to make any money.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

It's likely the profit margin on the 8GB is too small. The retailers aren't going to sell it if they don't get to make any money.

Profit margins on most hardware is small to miniscule to sometimes nothing at all. Most computers, phones, tablets, etc are sold at near-cost. Where retailers make money is through extended warranties and accessories. There's a reason Best Buy charges you $20+ for a USB cable to hook up your new $20 printer and $100 HDMI cables to hook up your $400 TV.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Any chance anyone here has recently sold or bought a TF-101? I'm curious if there is a market for them at all anymore, I'm thinking of selling mine and picking up a Nexus 7 once it's for sale in Canada, they look really cool.

(It's 32GB + docking station.)

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

BoyBlunder posted:

+1

Very frustrating.

As far as I know they never allowed cancelling Play orders for the Nexus 7. I ordered the 8GB model the same day they started taking orders, and the next day I decided to cancel the order and get the 16GB instead. Today I called them because I was worried about still not having gotten any response from them for my cancellation; and the guy on the phone told me that the distributor (Google Canada) was supposed to have sent me an email telling me that they cannot process cancellations for hardware.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Konjuro posted:

As far as I know they never allowed cancelling Play orders for the Nexus 7. I ordered the 8GB model the same day they started taking orders, and the next day I decided to cancel the order and get the 16GB instead. Today I called them because I was worried about still not having gotten any response from them for my cancellation; and the guy on the phone told me that the distributor (Google Canada) was supposed to have sent me an email telling me that they cannot process cancellations for hardware.

If they don't clearly state that they are doing this can't you sue them for that? Seems like a really shady thing to do. Every other business allows you cancel a sale before it actually ships. If it isn't clearly stated before you click finalize sale, they shouldn't be allowed to do that.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
You can easily cancel a Google play order... or at least I was able to cancel mine about 2 weeks ago with no issue. There is a number on Google's website where you put in your phone number and they will call you right back. Took about 3 minutes to do.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Meanwhile, outside NA, the nexus 7 is competing against poo poo like archos, disgo & kobo on price point, there is no kindle fire & trustworthy sounding brands are three times the price.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Hamelekim posted:

If they don't clearly state that they are doing this can't you sue them for that? Seems like a really shady thing to do. Every other business allows you cancel a sale before it actually ships. If it isn't clearly stated before you click finalize sale, they shouldn't be allowed to do that.

I think he may have meant that they should have responded to my cancellation request, and that it is now too late to cancel. Either way its annoying since they haven't shipped. At least I have a friend who might be interested in buying the extra off me.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

hotsauce posted:

You can easily cancel a Google play order... or at least I was able to cancel mine about 2 weeks ago with no issue. There is a number on Google's website where you put in your phone number and they will call you right back. Took about 3 minutes to do.

I called this morning and they said they can't cancel it. They suggested I call back when it arrives and they can process a return, which is funny because the guy on the phone had no idea when it was even shipping.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Any chance anyone here has recently sold or bought a TF-101? I'm curious if there is a market for them at all anymore, I'm thinking of selling mine and picking up a Nexus 7 once it's for sale in Canada, they look really cool.

(It's 32GB + docking station.)

Before the I/O (before the Nexus 7 announcement) I sold my TF101 16GB w/ dock for $400 on Kijiji. I would say some dummy will still buy it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

http://allthingsd.com/20120711/googles-nexus-7-costs-152-to-make-ihs-isuppli-teardown-finds/

iSuppli says that the 8gb Nexus 7 costs $151.75 to build while the 16gb model costs an additional $7.50. I think this easily explains why B&M stores aren't carrying the 8gb model, the margin just isn't there.

$249 for the 16gb gives a little more wiggle room.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

bull3964 posted:

http://allthingsd.com/20120711/googles-nexus-7-costs-152-to-make-ihs-isuppli-teardown-finds/

iSuppli says that the 8gb Nexus 7 costs $151.75 to build while the 16gb model costs an additional $7.50. I think this easily explains why B&M stores aren't carrying the 8gb model, the margin just isn't there.

$249 for the 16gb gives a little more wiggle room.

Well looks like the previous estimate posted was that off the mark.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

IT Guy posted:

Before the I/O (before the Nexus 7 announcement) I sold my TF101 16GB w/ dock for $400 on Kijiji. I would say some dummy will still buy it.

Sweet, I was just hoping to recoup $250 for the 16gb Nexus 7 so that's great news. Thanks!

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
Small update on my TF101's battery woes...

I fully charged both the dock and the tablet over night and left the tablet powered down and detached from the dock while I went to work. Came home and checked them, the Tablet lost 1% battery, the dock lost 34% and it wasn't even in use.

When I attach them the dual battery widget shows the dock's battery icon as charging and the tablets icon as not charging. Isn't it supposed to be the other way around?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Pinny posted:

Small update on my TF101's battery woes...

I fully charged both the dock and the tablet over night and left the tablet powered down and detached from the dock while I went to work. Came home and checked them, the Tablet lost 1% battery, the dock lost 34% and it wasn't even in use.

When I attach them the dual battery widget shows the dock's battery icon as charging and the tablets icon as not charging. Isn't it supposed to be the other way around?

They swapped the icons in the last update. Click on it and it'll tell you. I think you can swap them back.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Any of you tried the Wingray/Stingray JB builds for the Xoom on XDA?

Wondering if I should just wait for the official Wifi rom to be released and flash my Verizon Xoom on that... I never use Verizon data so it might as well have the wifi rom on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Looks like the Nexus 7 has a magnet sensor to turn off the screen. Makes me hope that is how the branded cover in the play store stays closed/wakes the device.