Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

twistedmentat posted:

Thunderwolves = Khorne Bezerkers riding fleshhounds.

Dammit, if GW doesn't do cool stuff like that in the new CSM book i'll be very disappointed.

Well in my case it's robed marines riding Cold Ones but yeah.

Why yes I have an army kitbashed from Dark Angel, Space Wolf, and Chaos parts, which I play with the CSM, SW, and/or Blood Angel codexes, wanna fight about it?

People do want to fight about it. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildey
Nov 9, 2009
I'm cautiously optimistic about an army purchase I just made via craigslist. The guy really didn't have any idea what he was selling, but oh well. $60, 2 gallons of gas, and an hour of my time netted me this:

I've only been into 40k for a few months and most all of that has been just me painting hormagaunts and genestealers and pouring over the fact that tyranids might maybe seriously potentially suck and so on and so forth. I don't know much of anything about ID'ing space marine stuff, but that tank looks particularly expensive so I jumped on the deal. Turns out about half of the space marines are pewter, and there's 40ish in all. Most are just dudes with bolters or a pistol and sword, but there's also 5 terminators, 5 guys carrying very heavy weapons, 5 guys with the big jumpjet shoulders that look like air conditioning units, and 3 guys that seem pretty unique - does anyone have a clue as to the identity of these models?

I know, I know, I'm lovely at taking pictures, and the golden guy is missing a forearm. Also how easy or difficult would it be to convert these guys towards dark angels? Of all of the space marine stuff I've seen, the ravenwing box set looks the coolest to me but I don't think this force would mesh too well with that.

edit: looks like the golden dude is commander Dante and the guy to the right is none other than Mephiston, cool! I should've probably started by looking at the GW website from the beginning. Still not sure about the guy on the left though.

Wildey fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 11, 2012

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Well that is a land raider and a new one would cost you 60 bucks by itself do yeah you made out pretty well.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

My most recent Craigslist adventure was a woman telling me that Warhammer Quest was worth $600 and that my reasonable offer was refused - despite advertising to the contrary.

Yours was better.

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi

Bavius posted:

Nice table top army. I like the freehand stuff and both armies look really cohesive. Good work.

Thanks! On those Templar vehicles I used a paper stencil. I could never freehand that stupid cross shape, it's too symmetrical.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Wildey posted:

I'm cautiously optimistic about an army purchase I just made via craigslist. The guy really didn't have any idea what he was selling, but oh well. $60, 2 gallons of gas, and an hour of my time netted me this:

I've only been into 40k for a few months and most all of that has been just me painting hormagaunts and genestealers and pouring over the fact that tyranids might maybe seriously potentially suck and so on and so forth. I don't know much of anything about ID'ing space marine stuff, but that tank looks particularly expensive so I jumped on the deal. Turns out about half of the space marines are pewter, and there's 40ish in all. Most are just dudes with bolters or a pistol and sword, but there's also 5 terminators, 5 guys carrying very heavy weapons, 5 guys with the big jumpjet shoulders that look like air conditioning units, and 3 guys that seem pretty unique - does anyone have a clue as to the identity of these models?

I know, I know, I'm lovely at taking pictures, and the golden guy is missing a forearm. Also how easy or difficult would it be to convert these guys towards dark angels? Of all of the space marine stuff I've seen, the ravenwing box set looks the coolest to me but I don't think this force would mesh too well with that.

edit: looks like the golden dude is commander Dante and the guy to the right is none other than Mephiston, cool! I should've probably started by looking at the GW website from the beginning. Still not sure about the guy on the left though.

The dude on the left is a generic Captain with Power Sword/Storm Bolter, used to come in the command squad box, I think? Either way you made out like a bandit.

edit: yeah he's from that box

MasterSlowPoke fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 11, 2012

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Wildey posted:

Yep, that's the old Space Marine force commander. If you want a spare melta pistol hand for Dante (from what I can tell yours doesn't have one), I somehow have two.

Wildey
Nov 9, 2009

SRM posted:

Yep, that's the old Space Marine force commander. If you want a spare melta pistol hand for Dante (from what I can tell yours doesn't have one), I somehow have two.

Thanks for the offer, but I've also got a bag of bits that I haven't even begun to look through, I bet there's something that'll work in there.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Dominion posted:

Well that is a land raider and a new one would cost you 60 bucks by itself do yeah you made out pretty well.

$75 now with the price increase.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Nighttheii posted:

Cross-posting. I made a crappy light box, and got (hopefully less crappy) pictures of my models.

*pictures of awesome stuff*

Very nice - I really like your approach to both armies!

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Late, but

BadLlama posted:

Anyone have some simple suggestions for making IG troopers faces not look like poo poo when painting? Like right now I just put flesh color there because the faces are so tiny adding detail is hard( I am a terrible painter) but it looks like poo poo doing this.

I don't know what the equivalents are now, but a base of Dheneb Stone, black dots for pupils, Skull White highlight and an Ogryn Flesh wash will do the job.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational
I just found a few old guns for a wraithlord and an assassin (vindicare) in a pile of old junk. Can anyone use them? I don't mind giving them to someone that plans on making one of the awesome custom models that pops up in this thread.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
Somebody please tell me that I shouldn't convert this bag of Night Goblins into robed jawa grots for my desert Orks.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Only if you are unable to get one or more of them to shout "utini!" when picked up.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

You have enough freakin Orks already!

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

^^^ what are you doing man, stop it.

Tadhg posted:

Somebody please tell me that I shouldn't convert this bag of Night Goblins into robed jawa grots for my desert Orks.

What universe do you live in that has a planet in which there is a country where a city resides containing a building which houses a server that hosts a web forum that would ever talk you out of that?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

MasterSlowPoke posted:

You have enough freakin Orks already!

Until this planet's entire supply of plastic, resin, and metal have been made into orks, that is completely untrue.

Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011

adamantium|wang posted:

Late, but

I don't know what the equivalents are now, but a base of Dheneb Stone, black dots for pupils, Skull White highlight and an Ogryn Flesh wash will do the job.

Imperial Guard Stuff

These are awesome, thanks for sharing.

Well with my Necron army underway, I was digging around and found my old Ork stuff and with the new allies chart Orks and Necrons are allies of convenience. From what I have gathered Necrons are a primarily a shooting army since they seem to have retained the very low initiative from the last codex making them not so super great in close combat. The Orks should be able to help my poor warriors not be completely wrecked in close combat if some slugga boyz can jump in and help 'em krump stuff.

Besides I have this picture in my head Orks running around with Necron tech and I really want to convert some boyz now. With 6th edition are there any Necron/Ork units I should avoid? I imagine Flayed ones are still terrible. Where can the rules for the flyer be found? I bought the Ork codex back when it came out and it obviously was released before these aircraft shenanigans took off, did they re-release it with the new units?

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Why on earth would you buy an old metal Landspeeder ? Those things were huge faff to assemble.

Ever since I had it pointed out to me the new ones look like a pair of floating baby shoes when I put them on the table.

mail sent to everyone who posted.

jadebullet posted:

Now, for a round of "are they good" questions. Are the following units actually good on the table top: Librarian Furioso, regular Furioso, Land Speeder, Bikes?

Yes, yes, yes, yes.

The furioso dreads are AV13 which makes them immune to krak grenades in CC. Previously I would have taken a DC dread over the regular any time but with the changes to fleet and grenades I'm not sure they are worth it anymore.

Librarian dreads are still good. Being able to pick between the S6 force weapon and S10 DCCW is nice.

There's a lot to be said about using and equipping dreads, but none of the above is a waste of points or money.

Land speeders will actually be able to use both guns now while still moving. They are more fragile than ever so take care when equipping them. Either go for a standoff approach with the cyclone and HB or inexpensive 'suicide' dual melta or dual flamer. Assault cannon is not worth it.

Bikes just got a lot better overall, attack bikes are still the best though. Triple multimelta or 2*multimelta and 1*heavy bolter is a good squad. Bikes make very good mounts for characters now as you get don't get instant death from lascannons or missile launchers.

cat with hands fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jul 11, 2012

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Avoid all the Elites in the Necron book. Pretty much everything else is gravy.

For Ork allies, you're looking at a Biker Boss (Bike, Power Klaw, Attack Squig, Cybork) or a KFF Mek, maybe some Biker Nobs, 2 large units of Boyz, and a squadron of 3 Kannons. I think Kommandos might have some use as a distractor, though you'd probably have to skimp on the Boyz then. They have a good flyer but Necrons have access to the Night Sycthe so who cares about any others

Fix posted:

^^^ what are you doing man, stop it.
I just thought about it, and out of all the thousands of models I own, none of them are Orks. WOM always got dibs on them. I have a few Orcs, but that doesn't really count.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Are there any female IG besides the female Harris, the girl from Tannith's ghosts, and a few promo units? I am not wanting a full army, but toying with the idea of all female IG allies for my sisters, and was wondering if it was even feasible.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Any Cadian could be female.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I just thought about it, and out of all the thousands of models I own, none of them are Orks. WOM always got dibs on them. I have a few Orcs, but that doesn't really count.

Thousands?

I mean, my wife will testify in a court of law that I have a problem, but thousands?

e: oh god, it's probably close to that, isn't it? gently caress. gently caress!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

It's probably around a thousand to fifteen hundred. I'm horrible at estimating, though (and impulse control, apparently).

Someone asked me last week, and I've apparently bought 270 or so models just this year alone, and that's not counting Sedition Wars and the Kings of War kickstarters.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Apart from Google Image Search, are there any image dumps of 40K stuff, for inspiration and whatever?

I could GIS any army but saving the files would be a massive pain, so if there's Imgur folders, etc., it's much easier to grab the files to disk.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

MasterSlowPoke posted:

It's probably around a thousand to fifteen hundred. I'm horrible at estimating, though (and impulse control, apparently).

Someone asked me last week, and I've apparently bought 270 or so models just this year alone, and that's not counting Sedition Wars and the Kings of War kickstarters.

Oh god, you're right. I forgot about the kickstarters. And these orks. They've probably pushed me over the 1k mark. I feel like Satan has just jumped out from behind a rock wearing a Gary Morley mask and shouted "Achievement unlocked, nerd!"

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

cat with hands posted:

The furioso dreads are AV13 which makes them immune to krak grenades in CC. Previously I would have taken a DC dread over the regular any time but with the changes to fleet and grenades I'm not sure they are worth it anymore.

Librarian dreads are still good. Being able to pick between the S6 force weapon and S10 DCCW is nice.

Gonna disagree with you on Librarian Dreads; the extra cost doesn't really help them do their main job better and it prevents them from switching wargear. The DC dread is still amazing; yeah he can get glanced by kraks but 10 marines don't even have a cumulative 100% chance to glance (83.333%). In return you get a fleet (fleet is actually really good, btw) WS5 death machine that hits 6 times on the charge that ignores shaken and stunned entirely. His benefits outweigh being immune to glances from kraks, imo.

I wouldn't ever switch the blood fists anymore, they will still mow through infantry just fine and will utterly destroy any vehicle. The magna-grapple is definitely worth 15 points.

The problem with Furiosos is that they are slow melee vehicles, and if you don't have enough armor saturation in your list they will be killed at your opponent's leisure. I don't see what unique role they bring to the table, especially with the ally options BA get.

cat with hands posted:

Land speeders will actually be able to use both guns now while still moving. They are more fragile than ever so take care when equipping them. Either go for a standoff approach with the cyclone and HB or inexpensive 'suicide' dual melta or dual flamer. Assault cannon is not worth it.

Bikes just got a lot better overall, attack bikes are still the best though. Triple multimelta or 2*multimelta and 1*heavy bolter is a good squad. Bikes make very good mounts for characters now as you get don't get instant death from lascannons or missile launchers.

Yeah, I think attack bikes are way better for BA than speeders now. They might even incidentally be in FNP range.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Avoid all the Elites in the Necron book. Pretty much everything else is gravy.

For Ork allies, you're looking at a Biker Boss (Bike, Power Klaw, Attack Squig, Cybork) or a KFF Mek, maybe some Biker Nobs, 2 large units of Boyz, and a squadron of 3 Kannons. I think Kommandos might have some use as a distractor, though you'd probably have to skimp on the Boyz then. They have a good flyer but Necrons have access to the Night Sycthe so who cares about any others

I'd still pick up a Dakkajet simply because it provides different utility from Night Scythes.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

numerrik posted:

Are there any female IG besides the female Harris, the girl from Tannith's ghosts, and a few promo units? I am not wanting a full army, but toying with the idea of all female IG allies for my sisters, and was wondering if it was even feasible.

You could use these terrible models. (Don't use these.)

Or just stick some female heads on male bodies because that will look much better.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Phyresis posted:

His benefits outweigh being immune to glances from kraks, imo.

If anything, not being subject to "Our weapons are useless!" is worth more than being immune to glances.

quote:

I'd still pick up a Dakkajet simply because it provides different utility from Night Scythes.

Eh, A Dakkajet offers 4.5 S6 hits on average, and a Night Scythe has 5.33 S7 hits on average, and is 30 points cheaper. I do suppose that a Dakkajet gets 9 hits on a Waaagh turn, and that's likely to be turn 2 or 3, when the Dakkajet arrives, so that does have some use.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

kannonfodder posted:

Until this planet's entire supply of plastic, resin, and metal have been made into orks, that is completely untrue.

Even then there is still rock, wood, mineral and countless other resources to make Orks out of, even bone and teef if necessary.

Moola posted:

Or just stick some female heads on male bodies because that will look much better.

I want to put super beardy Space Wolf heads on those bodies.

And it's not so far fetched anymore, not with the new female body armor the US Army is testing out. The just toss the torsos on regular legs and you have our troops in 5 years.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

MasterSlowPoke posted:

If anything, not being subject to "Our weapons are useless!" is worth more than being immune to glances.

I forgot about that damned rule, this is for true. 100%.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Eh, A Dakkajet offers 4.5 S6 hits on average, and a Night Scythe has 5.33 S7 hits on average, and is 30 points cheaper. I do suppose that a Dakkajet gets 9 hits on a Waaagh turn, and that's likely to be turn 2 or 3, when the Dakkajet arrives, so that does have some use.

Yeah, I was thinking about the Waaagh! turn. Don't forget the 65 point tax for the Night Scythe (not really a tax, being one of the best late game scoring tricks in 6th ed). My moronic Marbo-less Imperial Gork list also lacked a Warboss :negative:

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Moola posted:

The only think that looks remotely useable on those models is the female veteran's head, and maybe one or two of the other heads, but it would be a waste of money for just 3 heads.

Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011

Phyresis posted:

I just want a Dakkajet because it's a loving DAKKAJET. Ever since I read DEFF SKWADRON I always wanted Ork flyers, however forgeworld being the only guys to make the things at the time put them beyond my reach. Will definitely be picking up some Night Scythes first so I can try out these new fangled flying gizmos.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Comrade Merf posted:

I just want a Dakkajet because it's a loving DAKKAJET. Ever since I read DEFF SKWADRON I always wanted Ork flyers, however forgeworld being the only guys to make the things at the time put them beyond my reach. Will definitely be picking up some Night Scythes first so I can try out these new fangled flying gizmos.

Overlord in Catacomb Command Barge. 1 box of Warriors. 2 Night Scythes. This is the first purchase I recommend to every new Necron player. You will want to expand your Troops, pick up some Wraiths, and a Doom Scythe ASAP. Personally I'd grab 2 more boxes of Warriors and 2 Ghost Arks.

It's a bit early to say but I'm calling it: Necrons + Orks is one of the best armies as it stands right now.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

7thBatallion posted:

And it's not so far fetched anymore, not with the new female body armor the US Army is testing out. The just toss the torsos on regular legs and you have our troops in 5 years.

I've definitely seen way worse boob armour conversions. It's more the dumb leg poses and tight butt sculpts that annoy me.

numerrik posted:

The only think that looks remotely useable on those models is the female veteran's head, and maybe one or two of the other heads, but it would be a waste of money for just 3 heads.

If you just want some good female heads these are pretty great:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360468941005?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_3120wt_910

Using them on my SoB conversions at the moment, they look a lot better without the lovely paint jobs in that picture.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I love how you guys are drawing the line at boob-plates and butts. That's clearly one of the least reasonable things in 40k; svelte female guardsmen.

I don't see a problem with them besides the lovely heads and the "walking" legs (the other ones are fine, butts or no).

If we get super-exaggerated hyper-masculine guardsdudes (Catachans) then I see no problem with super-exaggerated hyper-feminine guardsladies.

Edit: Someone link me those guardsladies, by the way. Whoever did them, do they do other things? I'm always looking for places to mine bits for conversions, and the sculpting quality of those isn't the worst I've ever seen.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jul 11, 2012

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

Phyresis posted:

Gonna disagree with you on Librarian Dreads...

Librian dreads are tricky but effective when you find a niche for them in your list. They are not worth it simply for CC killyness.

Glances are deadly now and every point or armor helps. Considering that it will likely take at least one round of shooting before you can get stuck in and the average squad will now have 10 instead of 1 things that have a reasonable chance to hurt you in CC I'm not sold on the AV12.

I'm not sure how I feel about the claws vs fists now that the claws are AP3. A dread isn't mobile enough to always pick the perfect combat, fists might be the way to go in 6th since 2+ will likely be more common and you get to insta-kill T5. Talons however still plow through 3+, even better now with the extra attack on a DC dread, since assault squads got a lot worse at dealing with marines in general a talon dread or two could be nice.
And talon dreads make for very good distraction units. They tend to attract fire like nothing else.

Furiosos goes in pods, or alone in raven, but I prefer pods. Lib furiosos can manage with 'wings', but walking is suicide.

The 'our weapons are useless' USR is just as much a case for the AV13 as against. Getting bogged down isn't always what you want either, plus you get a chance to sweep.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Shouldn't you be emailing me? :argh:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Motherfucker.

I knew I forgot something. Lemme finish this model I'm working on and I'll shoot you another email. I'm just getting your new paypal, correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Babe Magnet posted:

Motherfucker.

I knew I forgot something. Lemme finish this model I'm working on and I'll shoot you another email. I'm just getting your new paypal, correct?

That and some tanks in exchange for US cash moneys, yes.

• Locked thread