Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I...I just :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

There doesn't seem to be a dedicated uni-goalie. Bettman approves.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...
Guys, it's late. I gotta go to bed so I can hit the early morning public unicycle before it gets too crowded.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Got the AI9 dialed in tonight.. 4 goals 3 assists.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001

Guy with the white shirt is clearly playing down, is he even on the roster?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Topoisomerase posted:

I hear ya. I have to wear kids' skates
Not to mention that they crap out within 2 years because kids wouldn't wear them that long anyhow so they're not durable. So all that loving around will have to be repeated on a new pair probably within the next year. hurf.

gently caress, so this is what I have to look forward to? Thought I saved a bundle by having junior sized feet but drat I'm getting used to these skates.

xzzy posted:

I'll continue to be "that guy" who uses lovely out of date equipment.

Speaking of...
By the end of this week, even though it is months ahead of the time when beginner hockey starts up, I should have every piece of equipment to play hockey. Well, except for socks. All of it is going to be new except for a helmet I got for ball hockey a while back. So, my question is: how lovely is this helmet? Its some CCM Tacks helmet I got at Play it Again and it fits fine but gently caress every time one of the plastic balls hit the helmet it make that annoying loud high pitched plastic on plastic noise which my ears did not appreciate. Should I get a new helmet too?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ha, after posting about how my Silver team doesn't play as a team and is stupid frustrating, we go out and have a killer come-from-behind win against one of the top teams in the league.

We were out-shooting them by a bunch, down 2-1 with 2:30 left in the game, and then pop in 2 quick goals to put us up 3-2 with 2 minutes left. They take a dumb penalty by crosschecking one of our D-men into our own net and we score an empty-netter on the PP. 4-2 win. 3 goals in the last 2:30 of the game. Feels good man.

Doctor Butts posted:

Speaking of...
By the end of this week, even though it is months ahead of the time when beginner hockey starts up, I should have every piece of equipment to play hockey. Well, except for socks. All of it is going to be new except for a helmet I got for ball hockey a while back. So, my question is: how lovely is this helmet? Its some CCM Tacks helmet I got at Play it Again and it fits fine but gently caress every time one of the plastic balls hit the helmet it make that annoying loud high pitched plastic on plastic noise which my ears did not appreciate. Should I get a new helmet too?

If it's too old, and it sounds like it is, you'll probably want to get a new one. The HECC certification, which is required for all USA Hockey sanctioned events, is good for 6.5 years. My rink doesn't enforce it at all, but personally I'd play it safe with my head and not use an old, possibly busted helmet that rattles. I think you're supposed to even replace them after you take a couple hard impacts to it.

http://www.hecc.net/about.faq.html

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 10, 2012

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Doctor Butts posted:

Speaking of...
By the end of this week, even though it is months ahead of the time when beginner hockey starts up, I should have every piece of equipment to play hockey. Well, except for socks. Should I get a new helmet too?

Yes. Especially for beginner skating you should be completely comfortable with every piece of safety equipment you have, helmet and cup chief among them.

How much did you spend on a stick? I bet you could get a perfectly fine helmet for the same or less. No point spending money to be like Stamkos if you're just going to wind up like Pronger.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't have any useful opinion on your helmet, but I will say that getting hit in the head no matter what is not going to sound good. I've had a handful of pucks deflect off my noggin and it always makes a loud noise in my ears. I wouldn't call it pain or ringing or anything.. but it's definitely loud.

The padding in helmets is pretty dense, it's put there to protect your brain, not your ears. Any smack to the helmet is going to deliver shock waves straight to your eardrums.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Just get whatever helmet is on clearance. I skate with a dumb red helmet because it was 30 dollars instead of 120.

Also DB -- what size skates do you own? 6.5 are adult skates and I've never played with anyone with smaller feet than I have.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Also, what size helmet? I still have my old small Bauer 7500.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Pleads posted:

Yes. Especially for beginner skating you should be completely comfortable with every piece of safety equipment you have, helmet and cup chief among them.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

If it's too old, and it sounds like it is, you'll probably want to get a new one. The HECC certification, which is required for all USA Hockey sanctioned events, is good for 6.5 years. My rink doesn't enforce it at all, but personally I'd play it safe with my head and not use an old, possibly busted helmet that rattles. I think you're supposed to even replace them after you take a couple hard impacts to it.

http://www.hecc.net/about.faq.html

Well, no idea how old this thing is, but the velcro/sticky tabs that keep the foam in place are worn and a screw or two is nearly rusted in. Honestly I thought it was a foregone conclusion I needed a new helmet but the wifey who actually does care about my safety also is very keen about not spending money. So, never hurts to get more opinions like "Yea, you're hosed if you don't get a new helmet, bro".

It would be a medium sized helmet, hockles. I'm short but the rest of my body is adult sized ;)

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Hell, all it takes is a decent fall backwards where you smack your head on the ice to appreciate a good helmet. A puck to the head will make you *really* appreciate it, and a stick to the face will make you worship your cage.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

JetsGuy posted:

Hell, all it takes is a decent fall backwards where you smack your head on the ice to appreciate a good helmet. A puck to the head will make you *really* appreciate it, and a stick to the face will make you worship your cage.

Cages cause concussions. Use a cage with caution.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

lizardking posted:

7am skills clinic starts tomorrow. I hate getting up early, but I want the ice time and instruction dammit! I'd like to get out of D league by 2013 haha.

Are you looking for a D-I home for Fall...cause I know a guy.

fake edit: I mean Men's D league, Div 1. Not Division 1 Hockey.

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors

oddIXIbbo posted:

Are you looking for a D-I home for Fall...cause I know a guy.

fake edit: I mean Men's D league, Div 1. Not Division 1 Hockey.

Haha, 2013 is a bit ambitious considering I only sub d2, should have wrote by end of 2013 maybe end of 2014. I may know your guy, is his name Dave?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I spent today stick shopping, there are some really great deals out there right now. I went with the RBK 11k for $120, they also have the 52 Cal with a crazy curve and 80 flex for $130, S19 for $170, S15 for $100, EQ50 is out there for $100, X60 for $150, and so on. Great time to buy stuff on clearance, they still have a good selection of flexes and blades on the clearance stuff.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Played so much hockey this weekend that I can barely lift my arms.

Drop in sunday from 12-4, game at 6, game at 7 and then had a game last night at 8. Three games and drop in within 2 days wore me out.

Luckily we won our game last night and got back into our winning groove from last season. I got three goals, two being in stride wrist shots and one being a nice breakaway that faked the goalie out enough to give me a wide open net.

Also, its fun to be a smaller guy and have a lot of reach because as a forward, you can throw shots from angles that the goalie doesn't expect and you can drag a lot wider than they imagine. Also playing defense, people underestimate my reach until I take the puck off their stick.

Unfortunately I can barely move my arms today.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

quote:

helmet talk

Remember that the foams start to break down/get brittle/whatever and that's part of the reason the helmets expire.

Personally, I would never cheap out on protecting my head.

bewbies posted:

I spent today stick shopping, there are some really great deals out there right now. I went with the RBK 11k for $120, they also have the 52 Cal with a crazy curve and 80 flex for $130, S19 for $170, S15 for $100, EQ50 is out there for $100, X60 for $150, and so on. Great time to buy stuff on clearance, they still have a good selection of flexes and blades on the clearance stuff.
Man, they just had a 20% off sale. Over now. I was thinking about the EQ50 for a bit, but decided not to.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Got a question about socks.

Do you wear the fancy new stretchy RBK ones like the pros, or do you roll with the old-school knit socks? I've always used the knit socks because they're cheap (and I'm a traditionalist), but we've had a long string of 100+ degree days where I live that make for some miserable conditions, even playing indoors on an ice rink.

So if you've worn both styles, are the new ones any cooler than the knit ones? Are they worth paying the extra bucks for?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Got a question about socks.

Do you wear the fancy new stretchy RBK ones like the pros, or do you roll with the old-school knit socks? I've always used the knit socks because they're cheap (and I'm a traditionalist), but we've had a long string of 100+ degree days where I live that make for some miserable conditions, even playing indoors on an ice rink.

So if you've worn both styles, are the new ones any cooler than the knit ones? Are they worth paying the extra bucks for?

Not noticeably cooler, but I like the way they fit, and also havent had one rip yet, it seems like the knit socks get ripped after one game.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

D C posted:

Not noticeably cooler, but I like the way they fit, and also havent had one rip yet, it seems like the knit socks get ripped after one game.

I wear the new Reebok ones and for the price difference, I think they are worth it.

Tip: If you buy them and they have the tabs on them they are made from not as good of a material like you'd get from a pro return pair.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Krime posted:

I wear the new Reebok ones and for the price difference, I think they are worth it.

Tip: If you buy them and they have the tabs on them they are made from not as good of a material like you'd get from a pro return pair.

When you say tabs, do you mean the Velcro tabs that hook on your shorts? Do the pro pairs stay up well on their own or do you need something like a garter to hold them up?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I've got RBK socks, I think they're cooler than knit. I've got a few little holes in them but the holes don't seem to spread as much as holes in knit ones.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Old-school knit all the way. I had a pair of the new RBK ones and I hated 'em, they felt odd and found I slid way more than if I was wearing knit pairs.

When we ordered new socks for our work team everyone, save one weirdo, went with old school style.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I literally did not know there were a new kind of socks until I started playing ice hockey again a few weeks ago. I'm just going to keep using the old school ones I have from high school.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

When you say tabs, do you mean the Velcro tabs that hook on your shorts? Do the pro pairs stay up well on their own or do you need something like a garter to hold them up?

Yeah, if they've got velcro tabs on them and the reebok logo on the shins, they are the bad kind.

The real stuff the players wear (pro return / pro stock) doesn't need the velcro tab to stay up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've been wearing knit socks, but it really sucks to have them rubbing against the back of my legs in the summer. Not that it matters.. I sweat like a pig summer or winter, but I guess I'm more sensitive to it in the summer.

I haven't gotten around to trying fancy modern style socks though.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Watching the Steve Yzerman jersey retirement (a rerun) on the NHL network. That man was why I always wanted to play hockey and especially play a hard but clean game.

It's easy for anybody to like Gretzky, Lemeiux, Crosby, Etc but between Nick Lidstrom and Steve Yzerman I learned how to love the game and what it takes to not only be a good player, but to do so with dignity and respect.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Steve Yzerman was not a clean hockey player

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What are you talking about, he showered daily.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

T-Bone posted:

Steve Yzerman was not a clean hockey player

I know. I mean, look at what he did to poor, helpless Chris Pronger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb_fmWpcbag

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Steve Yzerman owns. He's the reason I wear #19.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

D C posted:

I had the opposite experience, my RBKs got cut almost immediately and my knit ones seem to last forever. I don't know. Also apparently I have the poo poo ones because they have tabs. Another thing I've noticed is that all of the water from our poo poo rinks not freezing get sent right down into my skates, which makes it feel like I am skating in a puddle.

Kings practice facility got new locker room floors and the NHL ice re-done. It is puuuurdy. Being the only game on the 3rd sheet of ice tonight means that the AC was pretty much non existent and I was sweating like a pig halfway through the game.

EDIT: it's also time for new elbow pads -- these stupid vic ones from 1992 aren't cutting it anymore after 3 hard slashes/cross check in 3 games. Going to have to dig around though to find a strapping system that I like and that I think will last without looking like I have giant plastic bubbles on my elbows.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jul 11, 2012

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sellouts posted:

EDIT: it's also time for new elbow pads -- these stupid vic ones from 1992 aren't cutting it anymore after 3 hard slashes/cross check in 3 games. Going to have to dig around though to find a strapping system that I like and that I think will last without looking like I have giant plastic bubbles on my elbows.

I bought a pair of Bauer One75s and I quite like them, having had the same pair since I was like 14.

They have one strap that velcros in 2 places on the forearm and an upper strap on the bicep peice as well.

Didnt take any time at all to get used to them.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

D C posted:

I bought a pair of Bauer One75s and I quite like them, having had the same pair since I was like 14.

They have one strap that velcros in 2 places on the forearm and an upper strap on the bicep peice as well.

Didnt take any time at all to get used to them.
If you try these and like them sellouts I have a pair of x:60 pads on the cheap. I got them to replace my starting elbow pads, only to realize I didn't like how they strapped so they're now sitting on my closet floor.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

lizardking posted:

Haha, 2013 is a bit ambitious considering I only sub d2, should have wrote by end of 2013 maybe end of 2014. I may know your guy, is his name Dave?

We are working on fielding GoonSquad teams in D-I, D-II and NeverEver. It would be fun to have actual Goons all up in the GoonSquad.

email me at oddixibbo at g male dot com. I don't have plat.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The reebok/jofa elbows have three straps.. one around the bicep and one that crosses twice over the forearm. The third strap they call a lockstrap and is closest to the wrist.

They get a little floaty once the elastic starts to stretch out, but up until then they stay where you put them no problems. I would imagine buying above the 5k line would get better materials.. I went low end because I wasn't sure I'd like them.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
I use the new PROSTOCK RBK socks and they are awesome. The Sharks sell them at the end of the season for $5 a pair and I picked up every color they had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

I'm super excited that I managed to find an S19 replacement stick with the curve I love.

I also got to feel the Solar Bears new jersey yesterday and goddamn does it feel like a cheap chinese knockoff.