Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

mahayaksansan posted:

I'm a bit undecided between a maxed-out Macbook Air or a low-range Macbook Pro 13" with an aftermarket SDD and RAM thrown in. I guess they'd come to around the same price as well. I do have the odd movie on DVD, but I could always get an external opitcal drive for the Air, so that isn't really a deciding factor either... Anyone have any preference?

Do you need more than 128GB of HD space? Airs start getting expensive if you need more

Do you need Firewired or Ethernet? You'd have to get an adapter if you get an Air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The only major bullet point missing from the 2011 Air vs. the 2012 Air is USB 3. Depending on how long he intends to keep the laptop, that could prove a worthwhile feature.

2-3 years, probably. He mostly uses SD cards to move his pictures which I believe doesn't have that drastic speed differences but due to the limited storage he might have to look at some external drives later on. Also 2 years is a pretty long time in computing, so...

Which reminds me - plugging an USB 2 drive into an USB 3 port won't help with the USB 2 drives low throughput speeds, right?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Which reminds me - plugging an USB 2 drive into an USB 3 port won't help with the USB 2 drives low throughput speeds, right?

WARNING ANECDOTAL BLATHERING AHEAD

In my experience, no. But if you use a USB 3 device in a USB 2 port, it tends to max out the connection. I've got this enclosure with a 500 GB WD 7200 rpm 2.5" drive, and it boots wickedly fast even on my crap mid-2009 MacBook.

Also have a USB3 flash drive and it also reads/writes much faster than even the USB 2.0 version (the Patriot Xporter, of which I have an 8 and 16 GB) on a USB 2.0 port as well.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

frumpsnake posted:

This is not an exaggeration.

Safari on Mountain Lion has become my default browser on the rMBP because its so, so much faster at scrolling than both Safari 5.1 and even Chrome Dev (even if you force GPU in about :flags)

That's great to hear! Chrome Dev + forced GPU is pretty smooth for me, so if Safari in ML is better than that, I'm sold.

A couple other things I'm really enjoying about the rMBP:

1. Screen definitely has less glare than the regular glossy MBPs. I love glossy screens and hate glare so this is a big deal to me.

2. The speakers sound great.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

WARNING ANECDOTAL BLATHERING AHEAD

In my experience, no. But if you use a USB 3 device in a USB 2 port, it tends to max out the connection. I've got this enclosure with a 500 GB WD 7200 rpm 2.5" drive, and it boots wickedly fast even on my crap mid-2009 MacBook.

Also have a USB3 flash drive and it also reads/writes much faster than even the USB 2.0 version (the Patriot Xporter, of which I have an 8 and 16 GB) on a USB 2.0 port as well.

Hmm, looks like I'm off to hunt eBay for that enclosure.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
What's a cheap (but not terrible) USB to USB cable that I could use to transfer data between my old PC and my new Macbook? Amazon has a couple listed, but $20-25 seems kind of pricy for what it is.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Reinanigans posted:

What's a cheap (but not terrible) USB to USB cable that I could use to transfer data between my old PC and my new Macbook? Amazon has a couple listed, but $20-25 seems kind of pricy for what it is.

Due to the way USB works, you can't just use a cheap cable with two male ends.

Advantage #1 of Firewire

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Reinanigans posted:

It costs that because it has to have active electronics to talk to both computers and translate between the file systems.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Alright, so what's a good brand of cables for this? There's a Dynex one that costs around $10, and I know it's not the worst brand out there. But is there a better one you guys could recommend?

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
Monoprice will be better and cheaper.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Reinanigans posted:

Alright, so what's a good brand of cables for this? There's a Dynex one that costs around $10, and I know it's not the worst brand out there. But is there a better one you guys could recommend?

You also need the software to do it.

Can't you just copy the files over the network? Another thing you can do is get a USB hard drive, and use that to transfer the files. Then you can use it for a Time Machine backup afterwards.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Bob Morales posted:

You also need the software to do it.

Can't you just copy the files over the network? Another thing you can do is get a USB hard drive, and use that to transfer the files. Then you can use it for a Time Machine backup afterwards.

Would transferring the files over the network take a really long time?

And yeah, I was thinking of buying an external hard drive anyway, since I only have a 128GB solid state in the Macbook. Are G-Drives any good? Western Digital, Lacie?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Reinanigans posted:

Would transferring the files over the network take a really long time?

Depends on what network you have. If you have an old wireless B or G router, it's probably going to be slow. But USB 2.0 hard drives aren't exactly fast. If you have a gigabit wired switch, it'll probably transfer as fast as the hard drives can go.

Most external hard drives suck in their own ways, some more than others. If you're getting a 2012 model Mac with USB 3.0, then you should obviously get a USB 3.0 drive. It won't make the initial file transfer from your old computer any faster but it will be more useful as time goes on.

I like the 2.5" drives because they don't need a power source, they're smaller, and IMO the little drives are built a little tougher than the big ones.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
I used gigabit ethernet to transfer from my old MacBook to the new one. There was overhead but it was pretty fast. I suppose this won't work if you don't have ethernet on both sides.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Some of the people selling their 15" Pros (especially the ones that are 2 years old) are loving high.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

I still think Apple's not going to try very hard to update the Mini, they still only consider it a 'gateway' machine for switchers and they still want to keep its price at a minimum. Ultimately it depends on whether or not Intel cuts them a good deal or not. If they come out with a late 2012 Mac Mini with Ivy Bridge, color me surprised.
I figure since they've kept it up to date since resurrecting it in 2009 I don't see it changing now, particularly when they only really have to update it once a year (as long as Intel keeps their cadence) to keep it "up to date." Then again it looks like they'll have to change chipsets again for IVB, and I guess they could pull another Mac Pro "update" and just stick higher clocked CPUs in. With Intel it tends to be more cost effective to go with newer stuff though iirc, that's part of how they push adoption of new parts.

grahm posted:

2. Does anyone else's rMBP screen have a red/purple-ish hue? It's especially evident on mine if you look at the Apple logo on the back of the screen, and/or compare the screen with a non-retina MBP. I'm wondering if this is normal or not... it doesn't bother me too much, but white backgrounds definitely have a slight red tint.
I'd guess it's just a different temperature light, which may just vary among models for all we know. I figure you can just calibrate around it to an extent at least (...vs the iOS devices where you're stuck with what you get :argh:).

Sprat Sandwich posted:

2-3 years, probably. He mostly uses SD cards to move his pictures which I believe doesn't have that drastic speed differences but due to the limited storage he might have to look at some external drives later on. Also 2 years is a pretty long time in computing, so...
You also get faster integrated graphics with the newer model, if that matters. I guess long term it could be an issue whenever OS X cuts off the HD3000 before the HD4000.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The next Mini will be the first Mac that fits in your pocket. The RAM and SSD will also be soldered on.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

The next Mini will be the first Mac that fits in your pocket. The RAM and SSD will also be soldered on.
It can be like the iPod shuffle but with a Thunderbolt port instead of the headphone jack.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Some of the people selling their 15" Pros (especially the ones that are 2 years old) are loving high.

There's a dude on a local forum selling the 5th one on your pic for 1900€. A brand-new Retina goes for 2200€ in an Apple Premium Reseller.

japtor posted:

You also get faster integrated graphics with the newer model, if that matters. I guess long term it could be an issue whenever OS X cuts off the HD3000 before the HD4000.

Yeah, although by the time OS X 10.10 shows up who knows what has happened.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sprat Sandwich posted:

There's a dude on a local forum selling the 5th one on your pic for 1900€. A brand-new Retina goes for 2200€ in an Apple Premium Reseller.

Macs don't lose their value :smug:

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Macs don't lose their value :smug:

Think I can get 900€ for my 13" 2009 Pro? I mean it's pretty much the same machine as the new one, just look at it.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

japtor posted:

It can be like the iPod shuffle but with a Thunderbolt port instead of the headphone jack.

Thunderbolt to 3.5mm dongle will be available in August.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

If that's from Apple's deals page, it's not 'people' exactly selling their old systems; those are likely machines where the original owner got a replacement unit and refused to have anything to do with the original, or returned via some other circumstance but since they were opened by the customer, had to go through the refurb process. Some of those prices are pretty close to what they sold for at the time of their manufacture and since in Apple's eyes they were barely used they won't take poo poo pff the price and only will do so when it doesn't move.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 11, 2012

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

Binary Badger posted:

If that's from Apple's deals page, it's not 'people' exactly selling their old systems; those are likely machines where the original owner got a replacement unit and refused to have anything to do with the original, or returned via some other circumstance but since they were opened by the customer, had to go through the refurb process. Some of those prices are pretty close to what they sold for at the time of their manufacture and since in Apple's eyes they were barely used they won't take poo poo pff the price and only will do so when it doesn't move.

I think his comment was that people on CL and other sites are trying to sell their used Macs for more than their refurbished price...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Shin-chan posted:

I think his comment was that people on CL and other sites are trying to sell their used Macs for more than their refurbished price...

Exactly that

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Shin-chan posted:

Lots of shoppers still don't know about Apple refurbished products, so it's not unreasonable to list them for more. Worst case scenario, it gives you somewhere to negotiate down from. Best case scenario, you fleece someone. I'm a big fan of the latter.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Lots of shoppers still don't know about Apple refurbished products, so it's not unreasonable to list them for more. Worst case scenario, it gives you somewhere to negotiate down from. Best case scenario, you fleece someone. I'm a big fan of the latter.

There was someone selling on SA-mart who had a then-current refurb Sandy Bridge MBA, asking the same as the Apple Store refurb price. They refused to budge on price, even after WWDC came and went and the refurb price dropped by another $170.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3495321

$1450 with a $100 SSD? It's two goddamn years old!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

That's basically my machine, except I have the 2.66 i7 and a 320GB WD Black + 120GB SSD. My value :qq:

e: wait, gently caress that, I have a matte screen, $1800 please :smug:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Rumours of a 13" MB Pro Retina doing the rounds at the moment. Will be interesting to see if anything comes out of it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

You Am I posted:

Rumours of a 13" MB Pro Retina doing the rounds at the moment. Will be interesting to see if anything comes out of it.

Makes perfect sense.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Bob Morales posted:

Makes perfect sense.
How? A new 13" retina MBP is just a retina 13" MacBook Air, which they just refreshed...

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

chupacabraTERROR posted:

How? A new 13" retina MBP is just a retina 13" MacBook Air, which they just refreshed...

No, a 13" Retina would be 2560x1600. Might even come with discrete graphics since there'd be no optical drive.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
If I want to buy Applecare for a new MBP after the fact, does it matter whether it's a retina or not?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Small White Dragon posted:

If I want to buy Applecare for a new MBP after the fact, does it matter whether it's a retina or not?

No just think of it as a extended warranty but you have to buy it within a year of your purchase date.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

etalian posted:

No just think of it as a extended warranty but you have to buy it within a year of your purchase date.
Sorry, I was actually trying to figure out if I had to buy a different Applecare for Retina MBPs.

It doesn't look like it.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I wonder if they would come out with an AppleTV sized Mini?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sorry, I was actually trying to figure out if I had to buy a different Applecare for Retina MBPs.

It doesn't look like it.

And it's probably worth it given that the Retina MBP is even worse than the Air in terms of being able to disassemble and repair the unit.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

It doesn't look like it.

Apple sells several levels of AppleCare, all listed right here:

http://www.apple.com/support/products/mac.html

If you click on "Buy Now" for the Retina or the non-retina MBP, you'll see the part number for AppleCare for either machine is exactly the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

Apple sells several levels of AppleCare, all listed right here:

http://www.apple.com/support/products/mac.html

If you click on "Buy Now" for the Retina or the non-retina MBP, you'll see the part number for AppleCare for either machine is exactly the same.
And it's the same between the MacBook, MacBook Air, and 13" MacBook Pro! :eng101: That confuses the hell out of people.