Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

uncola posted:

For your budget, I'd get the receiver with the speakers together, it's only $469. I did this and the speakers were decent, a big upgrade over built in tv speakers. Note that if you want to upgrade to uber-expensive speakers in the future with an external amplifier, you can't do this with the 609 receiver since it doesn't have preouts for the external amplifier.

If you were determined to buy the receiver and speakers seperately, you should check out the pioneer speakers recommended earlier in the thread..

here's the pioneer floor standers.. there's also a center and surrounds that are in the same series I'd get to go with it..
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+-+5-1/4%22+3-Way+Floor+Speakers+%28Pair%29+-+Black/1147998.p?id=1218224796804&skuId=1147998

Here's the onkyo 609 receiver + speakers package together
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EP2HKW/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=heaprcom05-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creativeASIN=B005EP2HKW

A nice combo would be to buy the 609 with the onkyo speakers.. then replace the front right and left with the pioneers

Thank you. I probably never would have found that package deal. Looks like I'll probably be going with that.

If or when I upgrade to 7.1 would it be wise to replace the front speakers and move them (the replaced front speakers) to the sides and the sides to the rear? Or would specialized speakers be better in those positions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uncola
Apr 21, 2002
Yep that's the way to do it. Move the former fronts to be the left and right surrounds and move the former surrounds to be the back.. the fronts have a 4" woofer and 1" tweeter from what I remember and the surrounds have a 3" full range woofer.. so you'd want the weaker speaker to be the rears

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Bart Fargo posted:

I think we may have come to a solution for this problem. The outlet may have been a bit faulty, as whenever a heavy load came over the line (it was really raining the night it was really bad, and the sump pump was running fairly often) it would fritz out. We've switched outlets and also added a surge protector, and it's been stable for four nights in a row now.

And we spoke too soon. Problem started again, so we replaced the receiver with a new one of the same type. It started doing the same problem less than 30 seconds after it was powered up.

http://youtu.be/gtTdTM2Q1tg

Got a shot of it happening, around the 0:03 mark. Pardon the audio, my wife was watching some show about exorcisms. That did not help with getting rid of my problem.

Any serious thoughts about what could cause this? We're still on a power conditioner, both for AC and for the cable coming in. This particular instance was happening using an older HD cable box with the video going over component and the audio was optical. This problem is identical to what we see over HDMI connections too, both an Xbox 360 and a PS3.

Could the speakers be somehow causing this? This is the speaker setup we have:

http://www.klipsch.com/high-definition-theater-500-home-theater-system

And this is the receiver:

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v571_black__u/

Please advise. I'm pretty frustrated.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Bart Fargo posted:

Please advise. I'm pretty frustrated.

You have every source hooked up to receiver and receiver hooker up to TV, right? If not, try setting it up like that and see if the problem persists.

It's just audio, not video? Check your speaker connections and reseat all cables if you're not using banana plugs. It may be a badly seated speaker cable.

Check that the receiver gets enough ventilation and isn't running burning hot.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Hob_Gadling posted:

You have every source hooked up to receiver and receiver hooker up to TV, right? If not, try setting it up like that and see if the problem persists.

It's just audio, not video? Check your speaker connections and reseat all cables if you're not using banana plugs. It may be a badly seated speaker cable.

Check that the receiver gets enough ventilation and isn't running burning hot.

Yes, the current configuration is:

Cable box connected to receiver via component video & optical audio
Xbox 360 connected to receiver via HDMI
PS3 connected to receiver via HDMI

Receiver connected to TV via the HDMI monitor output on the receiver.

Just audio problems. Not using banana plugs yet, that was my next step to try. All cables were seated twice on the previous receiver, and once on this one but it passed the auto-leveling tool which also detects phase errors, those have been corrected. I will reseat them all on the backs of the speakers next and see what happens.

Audio cut outs have happened immediately after powering on, so I would assume it was close to if not right at room temperature when it happened. I had also just plugged it in.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will try reconnecting all of the speakers on the speakers themselves, and look into the banana plugs. It does support those.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Wow, a grand? Must remember not to move to Australia. The Diamond 9.0 bookshelf were going for £39 here in the UK at Richer Sounds at the weekend.

I had nought a pair about a year ago and they are not too bad as budget speakers. Just picked up a pair of Tannoy Mercury V4 floorstanders to replace them, the Wharfdales are now my surrounds. Very happy with the Tannoys. Do everything I want both musically and in the movies. No need for a sub with them.

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007
Is there anything simple and high-quality with a DAC and an amp that can sit between my computer and my Paradigm Studio 10s? Right now I have a piece of poo poo Yamaha RX-V596, and it's giving me a weird buzzing noise on the left channel. I only use my computer as a source, so it doesn't make a lot of sense to have loads of unnecessary features and effects and whatever. I really just need an optical / HDMI input and speaker outputs, preferably under $300.

uncola
Apr 21, 2002
I don't think such a device exists.. at that price point. You should probably just use a cheap receiver.

I'm using this to power my front speakers for stereo listening temporarily while my receiver gets repaired.. works nice.. even with big towers http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004JK8BDK/ dayton dta100a stereo amplifier

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I'm looking to buy a speaker system for father's day, since my dad just bought a new LED TV and his old Sony 5.1 HTIB has been on the fritz lately. I can tell that he's adamantly against another 5.1 system, due to the cable mess, so what's my best bet in the ~$300 range? I know that sound bars are hated, and I wouldn't get one for myself, but they seem like a good bet for him - they're better than stock speakers, at least, and the clutter is relatively minimal. Or could I cobble together a better system in the same price range? He watches a lot of sports and the occasional Netflix movie, so I don't know if he needs 2.1 or 3.1.

curried lamb of God fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 5, 2012

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

surrender posted:

I know that sound bars are hated,

Sometimes they are exactly what is wanted. They tend to get a bad rep mainly because they're either cheap crap or pretty expensive for the features they offer.

Does your father listen to music through the system? Would he like to? If so, look up a 2.1 system with as much of the budget spent towards front speakers as possible. Otherwise you can very well pick a soundbar.

You could look up something from Sony or Yamaha. How about this one?

Winepumpkin
Mar 27, 2004

I'm just, you know... I'm just the guy who does the thing.
So, how about the HT-S9405THX (5.1 Home Theater in a Box, sans media player) from Onkyo? I think this set's identical to the HT-S9400THX, positively reviewed here, only that one's a 7.1. The receiver is almost like the TX-NR609. So it's kind of almost like an NR709 too, right? Do you think this set would be a total waste of money at 1000€ ($1250)? Keep in mind I'm in Finland where the oft recommended NR709 alone costs about 800€ ($1000)!

Obviously, I'm looking for a sound system for my home theater. 5.1 all the way. For a medium-to-smallish room. To compliment an HD projector.

After 10 years of Logitech computer speakers, it won't take much to impress me. Still, a decent bang for my buck and/or general Goon Approval would be nice. I would love the simplicity of a Home Theater in a Box if it didn't end up sucking balls.

Winepumpkin fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 8, 2012

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Winepumpkin posted:

Keep in mind I'm in Finland where the oft recommended NR709 alone costs about 800€ ($1000)!

Neat, that means you have access to OR speakers which aren't available anywhere else to my knowledge.

You could consider a OR-CinemaZound PRO speaker set if you want a packaged solution. They're completely Finnish built speakers that provide nice bang for the buck. Hifitalo.fi should have them, if you aren't lucky with local stores. A pair of OR-L600 as fronts, OR-C22 as center and OR-R22 as surrounds is another option. Both are around €500 at verkkokauppa.com. If you feel you have too much money, give the Hi series a listen. I recommend trying the OR-160 Hi bookshelfs.

Then find a receiver that fulfills your needs. I like my Denon with OR speakers, those two complement each other nicely. Denon AVR-1612 is slightly under €300 at Verkkokauppa.com.

If you can deal with used stuff, visit Hifiharrastajat forum.

http://www.hifiharrastajat.org/foorumi/forum.php

I still own and use a pair of these:

http://www.hifiharrastajat.org/foorumi/showthread.php?89887-Or-l-440

combined with some Argon speakers to fill out the 5.1 setup. Suits my needs perfectly.

If you live in Helsinki area, Verkkokauppa.com has a decent listening room available. Go there and spend 15 minutes listening to what is available. Helsinki Sound & Cinema also has good facilities (I would daresay they're very good in fact!) but the setups are rather expensive. Still, if you want to listen to what money can buy... Just be careful, their Marantz + B&W combo sent me home quite a bit poorer.

Other Finnish listeners would probably suggest Genelecs, but they become very expensive very quickly. Unlike many other speaker manufacturers who skimp on the basic models, even the lowly Genelec 6010a speakers sound very nice. They are active speakers, so unless you know what they sound like and require don't buy them blindly. Some people also like the Wharfedale and Tannoy sound. I don't so much, but listen for yourself.

Winepumpkin
Mar 27, 2004

I'm just, you know... I'm just the guy who does the thing.

Hob_Gadling posted:

Neat, that means you have access to OR speakers which aren't available anywhere else to my knowledge.
[...]

Well, I'll be damned! Thanks for all these tips. I'm going to have to rethink everything again. And that's a good thing!

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

So I finally got my system and is mostly set up. I still need to run the optimizing program to set the levels of the surround speakers and a couple more options.

I ended up getting the Onkyo HT-S7409 system as was suggested. My thoughts after about a week:

The receiver is excellent for what I needed it for. No complaints so far. The pandora feature is wonderful and, while it can take 2 minutes to load for some reason, once it starts playing I don't have any problems. The controller app for android is interesting but I'm not certain how useful it is quite yet. I'll need to play around with it some more.

The only problem so far is that the surround speakers are really weak. Surprisingly weak. I've got an order coming for some lower gauge wire to replace the cheapo wire the system came with. After I get that and rewire those speakers I'll run the tuning program and see how they are. It is likely that I don't have them set up properly yet but we'll see.

In short, pretty drat good for a starter system. Despite the weak surrounds, I would buy this again.

Edit: A week or so later: I'm still having trouble with the surround speakers but it's probably the room setup. We've got a very awkward room and can't have all the speakers exactly uniform in placement. That being said, it's one of those grievances where it's only noticeable if you are looking for it. Most of the stuff I watch won't be able to even make use of the surround speakers anyways.

The android remote app is pretty bad. It has an annoying pause when selecting functions where you're not quite sure if the app has crashed or not and is pretty bare bones. What is functional on the app is also very user-unfriendly being buried in menus and sub-menus and has some other weird and self-defeating issues.

For example, the app cannot connect to the system if the system is in standby mode. What's the point of a remote if you have to walk over and turn on the system by hand before you can use the remote? To listen to Pandora, I have to walk over, turn on the system, load the app, wait for it to connect, change the source, scroll down, hit net, the wait for pandora to load. Not using the android app, I walk over, turn on the system, press the net button and wait for pandora to load.

TheCIASentMe fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 17, 2012

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

TheCIASentMe posted:

The only problem so far is that the surround speakers are really weak. Surprisingly weak.

By "weak", do you mean as in low volume? Because that is likely to change when you run the auto-setup. Or do you mean they have particular shortcomings, as speakers go?

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

By "weak", do you mean as in low volume? Because that is likely to change when you run the auto-setup. Or do you mean they have particular shortcomings, as speakers go?

Low volume and one person who listened said he had some reverb from one of them. And yeah, this will probably go away with the setup so I'll report back when that's done and edit my above post.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I'm renting an apartment with my girlfriend and we're gonna need a sound system. Mainly to listen to the radio, watch TV and play some PS3.
I'd like to get the minimum of wires and cables etc, and getting wall-mounted speakers isn't an option because we aren't allowed to drill holes in the wall etcetera.

I was thinking about getting a soundbar (that is the name for 1 speaker that sort of creates a surround effect right? See how much I know about this?), but a quick glance at this thread shows that the general consensus about them is not very positive.

Price isn't that big of an issue, we don't need to have the cheapest set-up out there, but we don't neet something outrageously expensive either.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Either a soundbar or 3.0/3.1 sounds good for your situation. I would go with 3.1 simply because you can get good bookshelf speakers for music. Drop the surround speakers and you're set.

ReverendK
Jan 17, 2005
Brilliant #1
Would a set of Polk tsi500s be underpowered when paired with an Onkyo TX-NR616?

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

beedeebee posted:

I'm renting an apartment with my girlfriend and we're gonna need a sound system. Mainly to listen to the radio, watch TV and play some PS3.
I'd like to get the minimum of wires and cables etc, and getting wall-mounted speakers isn't an option because we aren't allowed to drill holes in the wall etcetera.

I was thinking about getting a soundbar (that is the name for 1 speaker that sort of creates a surround effect right? See how much I know about this?), but a quick glance at this thread shows that the general consensus about them is not very positive.

Price isn't that big of an issue, we don't need to have the cheapest set-up out there, but we don't neet something outrageously expensive either.

Name a price as we're not psychic, whats expensive to me is not expensive to you

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby
I'm yet another person based in Finland, and want something compact and relatively inexpensive (500ish €) because the sound from my TV really doesn't come close to the picture it produces. It would mostly be used for watching movies, and perhaps a bit of music too.

I've heard good things about the Onkyo HTX-22HDX and the SKS-22XB speakers to make it a full 5.1 solution. Does anyone have any better suggestions?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Otik posted:

I'm yet another person based in Finland, and want something compact and relatively inexpensive (500ish €) because the sound from my TV really doesn't come close to the picture it produces. It would mostly be used for watching movies, and perhaps a bit of music too.

I would hunt something like this and keep my eye mostly on the receiver. Then upgrade the front left and right speakers, maybe with a good pair of used speakers. If you spot a good offer at one of the major retailers you might get a decent receiver and basic 5.1 speakers for ~€300-400.

Alternatively consider upping your budget and/or starting with receiver and stereo setup. Of course, everything written to the other Finnish guy also applies to you so go check out the alternatives and listen to differences.

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

Got a smallish issue at the moment.
Set up is:

HPTC----> all HDMI into Sony 46EX520 TV -> Optical into Logitech Z550
PS3----->
GamePC-->

After some fandangling, the PS3 outputs in 5.1 in games, and both the HTPC and my Gaming PC can get surround out when playing videos with AC3 etc in VLC/XBMC. All good!

Problem I can't get Windows 7 to see it as 5.1. Games and stuff just output Stereo since that's what Windows is saying it is.
Source of the HDMI on the game pc is an Nvidia GTX570.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
I recently fell into a fairly lucrative independent consulting gig outside of my normal job, and like a true goon I'm looking to blow some of this extra cash on some electronics! This will be my first home audio system. I'm a total greenhorn. I'm planning on using this system for primarily TV watching, including movies and sports, but also music as well.

So, I came across Polk Audio's VM20 speakers and fell in love with the look of them. Unfortunately, they're discontinued.

My plan was to buy four V20s for L/R and surround, a V20 center and the DSW sub. I'd have bought the stands for the surrounds. Would this have been a good idea? Does anyone know where I could find a similar setup? Particularly one with the look of the V20s. They look so bad-rear end compared to the Blackstone series, for example. Now, someone can tell me to stop being so vain and only worry about price/sound quality as well. I'm open to that.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The closest thing I've seen design-wise would be the Definitive Tech Mythos series.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
Hmm, well those cost an arm and a leg.

Instead I'm taking a look at the Intumus 4T Hybrid SD set from Aperion, with the Onkyo TX-NR414 on Amazon.

Except, the centre speaker from that set is a bit boxy for my tastes and my entertainment centre setup, so I'm going to find another thinner one. I'll also go with the cheaper sub, most likely.

Any thoughts? I'm literally only planning on buying these items - plus stands for the surround speakers - and hoping this will all work after I hook it up and configure it to play music so loud it'll blow women's clothes off; is there anything else I'll need? From the rear view of the receiver it looks like it has the banana plug connectivity. Am I right in this? I couldn't find this answer in the details.

Though, I do have one last specific question - I'm currently outputting A/V to my TV via the HDMI output on my video card. Shall I assume this is not the best output method for audio? My motherboard's onboard audio has an SPDIF output, which I assume could be plugged into the optical input on the receiver, as seen below. Is this right and the preferred method?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Except, the centre speaker from that set is a bit boxy for my tastes and my entertainment centre setup, so I'm going to find another thinner one.

You probably want to stick with the same manufacturer. Finding front speakers that match can be troublesome, easiest way is to just get a center channel from the same company. Aperion Audio is a respectable choice. If you're after looks, be sure to look at B&W, Totem and Gallo speakers (Gallo is more a music listening speaker company, however). Loud doesn't equate with good, but you'll get enough volume out of all of these to give you a hearing defect. For sub, start the research with SVS.

Check out Canuck Audio Mart once you know what you want. Who knows, you may get lucky.

The receiver takes banana plugs, yes. HDMI is the best way of connecting everything if it's available.

quote:

I'm literally only planning on buying these items - plus stands for the surround speakers - and hoping this will all work after I hook it up and configure it to play music so loud it'll blow women's clothes off;

May I suggest a surround system of 5 foghorns? :)

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

I've currently got some sort of Logitech computer speakers that I don't even care to find out what model they are. After helping a friend set up some Polk Monitor 40's and a PSW10 I am really feeling the need to get a real setup.

My issue is that I am currently in a small, small apartment and really don't need 5.1. I was thinking a good plan would be to buy some really awesome front speakers that take up most of my budget, (probably) a subwoofer, and the minimum amount of receiver/amp to properly drive them. That way when I move into a bigger place I can use the fronts and maybe the subwoofer with a new 5.1 receiver and replace as little expensive equipment as possible. I have literally not AV devices that don't run through my computer, because of space and convenience constraints my computer acts as a HTPC/gaming/audio hub, so I can run everything I want to input to the speakers out the DAC I have on the computer.

My budget for this part is $400-500. I know relatively little about what is out there. I was wondering if there are any really nice speakers that I could power appropriately from a t-amp in my budget, or if really I need to get something like the the TX-8255 (which is going to take up a lot of space I don't really have, and money I might not need to spend just to replace in a year).

I was thinking about bookshelf speakers, although if a towers would be way better for some reason I can make it work, I'd love any recommendations, especially if it is something that I would have any chance of finding somewhere to test. (I live in DC)

edit: I do have to say that the idea of getting something like the RTi A1 from Polk's Refurb Store for $100 less than they go for new is appealing, since I do know I like the sound from the older Monitor 40s.

OnceIWasAnOstrich fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 14, 2012

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

I was wondering if there are any really nice speakers that I could power appropriately from a t-amp in my budget,

How about a pair of Klipsch RB-61 bookshelfs? They're easy to drive and very nicely built. The big question is probably whether you like the sound of Klipsch horn design, so try and listen to them before committing. They're also pretty hefty for small speakers.

If you like Polk, it's not a bad brand by any means. Newegg runs regular sales on Polk speakers so pick whatever you prefer when they're cheap. In fact, they're currently running a sale on Polk RTi6 bookshelves which might hit your taste very well.

e: For something completely different, how about you try Paradigm speakers if you can find them near you?

I'd decide the amp based on what speakers you end up with. It seems such a shame to suggest Dayton t-amps from Parts-express.com for your beautiful Klipsch speakers. Can I convince you to get Onkyo TX-8255 for your nice speakers anyway? It's not much more expensive than a t-amp but is certain to be more versatile and easier to get rid of if you so decide. It also comes with a remote, so you don't have to place the receiver on your computer desk.

If you're running most of your stuff via your computer, do as I did and have a stereo setup permanently dedicated to it. It's gonna be painful to move back to Logitechs or whatever once you move your hi-fi setup away, especially if you listen to music a lot.

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 14, 2012

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Hob_Gadling posted:

I'd decide the amp based on what speakers you end up with. It seems such a shame to suggest Dayton t-amps from Parts-express.com for your beautiful Klipsch speakers. Can I convince you to get Onkyo TX-8255 for your nice speakers anyway? It's not much more expensive than a t-amp but is certain to be more versatile and easier to get rid of if you so decide. It also comes with a remote, so you don't have to place the receiver on your computer desk.

I'll try and find somewhere to listen to some Klipsch and hopefully whatever else they'll let me listen to. It is always awkward going into a store filled with $3000 single speakers and taking up all their time listening to the cheapest speakers they carry. It also seems like the only places that carry AV equipment (like the one Paradigm retailer) that aren't like Best Buy are way out in the fuckin' suburbs. I guess no one wants to get stabbed selling speakers.

Doing more research the t-amps don't seem to put out enough power for 8ohm speakers unless you buy one that's over $100 anyway, more than the TX-8255 from A4L, so I'm probably going to go with that, who knows maybe I'll be able to resell it as well as I did my Kindle Fire.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Yesterday I installed my Onkyo TR-NR616. I've combined it with Cambridge Audio Min 21s in the front and two 11s on their floor stands in the back. The sub's an X200. Nice and small but the sound is *excellent*.

The dealer graciously borrowed me an Audioquest Sub-X subwoofer cable, since I didn't have one. It sounds great but I'm sure a $5 cable will sound pretty much identical (confirm/deny please :)). The other cables are bog-standard cables without any plugs, I just screwed in the copper onto the speakers and the receiver directly, since they allow that. Would it help to add proper plugs?

Anyway, the setup sounds fabulous. I was especially impressed by the THX music setting when listening to a random selection of music. It really improves the sound, imho. I'm still trying to figure out the best speaker positions and so on, but it sounds very promising so far.

Sagacity fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 15, 2012

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Sagacity posted:

The dealer graciously borrowed me an Audioquest Sub-X subwoofer cable, since I didn't have one. It sounds great but I'm sure a $5 cable will sound pretty much identical (confirm/deny please :)).

Of course he let you borrow one, he'd make a bigger markup on that one cable than probably any other item you've bought. He's waiting for you to come back and say you heard a difference in the cable and want to buy it.

The human brain is amazingly receptive to suggestion, if you want to hear a difference, you will... There is no difference though.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
As for your other cables, adding banana plugs (get them from monoprice) to the speaker cable ends will make for a cleaner setup behind the amp, and also save wear and tear on your connectors.

The subwoofer cord is snake oil. any cheap one will do fine. I think the only difference between a normal interconnect and the subwoofer variant is a specific 75ohm resistance or something. I might be wrong on that though.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Can anyone recomend any online stores for receivers at a good price ? The onkyo 709 is out of stock everywhere local, and accessories4less refuses to ship to Canada now. I was hoping for a4l type pricing. The 709 is a good deal at $450 and locally the new 818 is $1350. I'd settle for the 717 but it's still $950 and shittier than the 709 (ie 2eq instead of XT).

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably be adding some banana plugs then, for convenience. And returning the Sub-X, obviously. :)

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

jonathan posted:

Can anyone recomend any online stores for receivers at a good price ? The onkyo 709 is out of stock everywhere local, and accessories4less refuses to ship to Canada now. I was hoping for a4l type pricing. The 709 is a good deal at $450 and locally the new 818 is $1350. I'd settle for the 717 but it's still $950 and shittier than the 709 (ie 2eq instead of XT).

Sounds like someone has a road trip in their future.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Giblet posted:

Sounds like someone has a road trip in their future.

For the price of fuel to drive from northern Canada to anywhere that might have an old 709 I might as well just buy the 818 and get glorious xt32. I've also been looking at Anthem brand which is a boutique brand, but they rate their amp power with 5 channels driven.

I wish Marantz had an xt32 enabled receiver, as they look really nice.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Looking for a real budget system for a bedroom TV - just watching netflix and such. Most I could probably spend is $150, max. I'm totally fine with buying used/refurbed, and thinking a decent older soundbar might be an ok choice?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

unprofessional posted:

Looking for a real budget system for a bedroom TV

Look for used near you, that's the best option by far. In case you can't find anything, try Dayton Audio B652 speakers and T-amp bundle. It's not massively loud or anything, but I'm guessing it doesn't need to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Hob_Gadling posted:

Along this vein, I have a pair of MB1 speakers (http://murphyblaster.com/content.php?f=MBOW1.html) that I built years ago. The 2-channel Pioneer Elite I had to drive them broke and now I'm looking for a replacement. Would this Onkyo be a good choice? I'm not opposed to buying used.

edit: Out of curiosity, how much would I be losing in sound quality by getting a 5/7 channel receiver for ~300-400?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 18, 2012