Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Ron Jeremy posted:

Blooming spices: is there a difference between heating spices in a dry pan vs with oil and aromatics?

Specifically moroccan chicken. The gws recipe calls for a dry pan then applied to the chicken. Americas test kitchen did mostly the same recipe, but added the spices to the onion after browning the chicken.

Does it make a difference?

In practice the difference is small. Usually the toasting dry is done with whole spices before grinding. Toasting will alter the flavor of the spices slightly, bringing smoky elements and elevating the flavors. Heating in oil isn't really toasting, it is more infusing the oil. The result is a more "smooth" or "blended" taste. At least in my experience, ymmv. You also get stronger fat soluble flavors this way. It depends on the situation and what you're after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

FamDav posted:

Haha the dough tastes fine, I'm just wondering if it's going to affect the consistency when I bake it.

they'll spread a lot and bake up fairly moist and crumbly. you can either add the rest of the ingredients to make it a double batch, or you can try baking it in a casserole dish/sheet pan and cut it into cookie bars, instead of doing drop cookies

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

FamDav posted:

This. This is what I did wrong.

Edit: WIshes you were wrong. Gonna let Mission J Chip sit for a bit to see if he just stays extra chewy, but morale is low.

You can try freezing the balls of dough first and baking at a hotter temperature that can help them from spreading too much.

Literally
Jul 2, 2009

I'm looking for a recommendation on a good chewy oatmeal raisin cookie. I have a recipe but I'd like to try a few others to see how they compare.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
What's the best way to defrost meat reasonably quickly without ruining it?

It's going straight into the pan as soon as it's thawed enough.

Lyssavirus
Oct 9, 2007
Symptoms include swelling of the brain (encephalitis), numbness, muscle weakness, coma, and death.
Cool running water.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
I just started dry aging my steaks in the fridge for a day before cooking, and holy cow what a difference. While talking with a co-worker, she mentioned that she does the same thing with pork chops, which caught me off guard. Is dry aging beneficial - or alternately, dangerous - with meats other than beef?

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

nesbit37 posted:

I have made Moroccan Chicken following (mostly) this recipe about 10,000 times and just love it:

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Moroccan_Chicken_and_Couscous

I am having a small dinner party with another couple this weekend and want to make this recipe. Only catch is they are both on a low-carb diet. Is there a vegetable or other low-carb substitute I could use that would go good with this to replace the couscous? Any suggestions for sides would be welcome as well.

Thanks for sharing this link - I've never seen this recipe and was just wondering how to use up the couscous I impulse-bought at the store.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

Awesome stuff

Great explanation. Thanks!

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I accidently left my carton of eggs out overnight. Maybe from 11 or so until about 1130ish this afternoon. Am I going to die if I eat one??

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I accidently left my carton of eggs out overnight. Maybe from 11 or so until about 1130ish this afternoon. Am I going to die if I eat one??

No.... when you buy eggs from the shop, do they keep them in the fridge? (in my world, they do not)

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Not at all. It's a weird myth that eggs need to be refrigerated.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Look, a lot of the "Is it still good?" questions can be answered with a few general questions:

1) Does it smell/feel bad? By this, I mean does the meat feel slimier than it usually does, do the eggs smell rotten when cracked, etc.
2) Do you see something growing on it? Mold, mushrooms, what appears to be a miniature savannah, etc.
3) Are you going to eat it raw?

If the answer is "no" to the above, you're fine. If you're in doubt, throw it out. Done.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Scientastic posted:

Not at all. It's a weird myth that eggs need to be refrigerated.

We bought a half dozen eggs at Tesco while vacationing in England recently, and my husband was horrified that they were just out on the shelf. I wasn't bothered by it, but I admit it took me a lot longer than it should have to find them - I walked up and down the refrigerated aisles several times before I realized they were with the baking stuff on the regular shelves.

I thought part of the reason American eggs are refrigerated is because they're washed with detergents before being packed, and that removes the natural coating from the eggshell and makes them spoil faster. Is there any truth to that? I don't remember where I read it.

Everything about breakfast in England was better - the eggs had beautiful rich yolks and tasted marvelous, and Wiltshire bacon is amazing. Too bad it's ridiculously hard to find here :(

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I have a tomato plant in a large pot on my deck. I have 4 or 5 that are pretty plump but are still green. The plant looks like its dying and I'm wondering if the fruit is using all the nutrients from the roots and leafs.

Could I pick the fruit and ripen them up in the house somehow to save the plant?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
No. Post a photo of the plant.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Ever since I was a kid I've had a dislike for vegetables, but having eaten out and about I realised that I've just rarely had them cooked properly. I don't really like plain bland boiled peas and beans, but cook them up properly with a nice sauce and I love it.

Can anyone recommend a decent cook book that will teach me how to cook veg properly? preferably with a low-carb bent?

EDIT: I'm in the UK if that makes a difference

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

RazorBunny posted:

I thought part of the reason American eggs are refrigerated is because they're washed with detergents before being packed, and that removes the natural coating from the eggshell and makes them spoil faster. Is there any truth to that? I don't remember where I read it.

I have no idea if this is the case, but yeah the eggs here are always kept in the same cooled shelving as milk, oj and the like.

Thanks for the input guys!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

preferably with a low-carb bent?

Uh-oh...

My brother recently bought Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's "Veg Everyday" book, and he swears by it. I've had a quick look through it and, although its tone can be a bit preachy, the recipes are very good.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Delicious low-carb veggies is like the easiest thing in the world regardless of diet choices. I can't think of a single sauce I have ever put on, say, green beans, that isn't fat + spices at its very base. Hell, I usually do just saute them in butter and then put salt and pepper on top.

After thinking for several minutes the only thing I can think of is a slightly sweet sauce for cooked carrots.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
In AUSTRALIA of all places the eggs are on the Supermarket shelves in a ridiculous number of Coles/Woolies stores.

I never got over that being just weird.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Hawkgirl posted:

Delicious low-carb veggies is like the easiest thing in the world regardless of diet choices. I can't think of a single sauce I have ever put on, say, green beans, that isn't fat + spices at its very base. Hell, I usually do just saute them in butter and then put salt and pepper on top.

After thinking for several minutes the only thing I can think of is a slightly sweet sauce for cooked carrots.

This is how I feel about low-carb and vegetables as well. The only time you should be concerned about carbs are in root vegetables (most notably onions) which are fine in the low quantities you are probably eating them in (just don't eat onion rings and think it's healthy or low carb) and starch vegetables (most notably potatoes). But generally speaking there is no reason to need a 'low carb' bent on vegetables.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Rurutia posted:

This is how I feel about low-carb and vegetables as well. The only time you should be concerned about carbs are in root vegetables (most notably onions) which are fine in the low quantities you are probably eating them in (just don't eat onion rings and think it's healthy or low carb) and starch vegetables (most notably potatoes). But generally speaking there is no reason to need a 'low carb' bent on vegetables.

Well I just meant something that isn't going to talk a lot about potatoes and breadcrumbs or whatever

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Rurutia posted:

The only time you should be concerned about carbs are in root vegetables (most notably onions)

:colbert: Onions aren't root vegetables, they are properly classified as cookware. They are the base on which all other good foods rest.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Made the carbonara tonight. 8 oz of pasta was incredibly too much for us. I'll probably go for 5 oz next time.

It wasn't as creamy as the last time I made it. I used two eggs, maybe 4 or 5 tbsp of Parmesan, and 4 oz pancetta. I drained the grease from the pancetta because there was a lot...that was correct right? I can't remember what I did last time.

I think maybe it was just too much pasta: eggs. If I do 5 oz of spaghetti next time and use the same amount of eggs/cheese would that help or am I going about this completely wrong?

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe

RazorBunny posted:

They are washed with detergents, rinsed, then sanitized with a chlorine or quats solution. Some plants then coat them with mineral oil to replace the natural coating, although that isn't as common as it used to be. Organic eggs get the detergent (whether it's the same as conventional or not, I don't know), but they do not get the sanitizer spray. If you can track it down, modern marvels has a fantastic episode on egg production. The large machines are impressive beasts.

My official stance (I am a USDA Grader working in poultry and occasionally eggs) would be to tell you to practice safe food handling procedures and refrigerate eggs, but I would be shocked if anyone suffered ill effects from an egg that sat out overnight.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

nwin posted:

Made the carbonara tonight. 8 oz of pasta was incredibly too much for us. I'll probably go for 5 oz next time.

It wasn't as creamy as the last time I made it. I used two eggs, maybe 4 or 5 tbsp of Parmesan, and 4 oz pancetta. I drained the grease from the pancetta because there was a lot...that was correct right? I can't remember what I did last time.

I think maybe it was just too much pasta: eggs. If I do 5 oz of spaghetti next time and use the same amount of eggs/cheese would that help or am I going about this completely wrong?

I made it last week with double your pasta, and the recipe called for 2 eggs, half cup parmesan, and 8 oz pancetta and it had pretty much perfect consistency. So proportionally it looks like yours had too much egg. I also kept enough of the grease to lightly coat the pasta.

An observer fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jul 12, 2012

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Bonzo posted:

I have a tomato plant in a large pot on my deck. I have 4 or 5 that are pretty plump but are still green. The plant looks like its dying and I'm wondering if the fruit is using all the nutrients from the roots and leafs.

Could I pick the fruit and ripen them up in the house somehow to save the plant?

Mr. Wiggles posted:

No. Post a photo of the plant.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looks overwatered to me. Does the pot have drainage?

Edit: at this point you may not have enough vegetation to support the fruit. Picking the fruit may help save the plant. If you leave the picked fruit on a windowsill it will eventually turn red and have all the flavor of a supermarket tomato. Which is to say, none.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Put the green tomatoes in a paper bag with a banana. That'll ripen them right up.

Alternatively, you could make tomato chutney with the green tomatoes.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fry them. Fried green tomatoes are the bomb. Just dredge in flour-egg wash-seasoned corn meal then fry til golden brown and delicious.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
That plant needs some fertilizer and a lot more sun, as well.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Make awesome green tomato towers:

Buy a fresh mozzarella ball the size of your fist for each tomato.
Slice a tomato up.
Slice a mozz ball to match.
Douse the tomato slices in olive oil and fry 'em.
When they're done, stack the two together alternating tomato and cheese.
Jam a big sprig of mint through the stack to hold it together. If you don't have mint in the yard, you'll need a long toothpick, like 6 to 8 inches.
Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and serve.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

That plant needs some fertilizer and a lot more sun, as well.

Fertilizer I have. It's quite a bit of sun during the day.

Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone!

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
A handy rule of thumb: if a plant is yellowing, it's overwatered, and if it's browning, it's underwatered.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
So, I know this has been asked before, but damned if I can find the response. So here goes anyway.

Yesterday, I was given about two pounds of lovely duck breastesses. I've never cooked them before, so I want to know two things:

1. A simple, no-nonsense preparation that will maximize the general duckiness of said breasts. Best to just salt and pepper and toss in a skillet on medium, or?

2. A more esoteric application. I'm open to almost anything.

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME
I have a date tomorrow. I am cooking. She's been teasing that she can't believe I can cook (I'm British and she isn't, so yeah, fair enough), so I want to cook in front of her and involve her in some way too.

I was thinking:

- Nice fresh bruschetta with some olive oil, tomatoes, herbs
- Ragu alla Bolognese with some more of the bread for mopping up
- Side salad
- Chocolate mousse (very simple and light - only eggs and chocolate)

However given the time I have to work with, I'd be making the pasta sauce before she arrives, so she won't get to see me make it - she'll come in to find it simmering. For all she knows I could have tipped it out of a (very tasty) jar...

Instead I'm considering switching to the venerable Fettucine alla Carbonara, which is a dish that comes together from few ingredients to produce a surprisingly delicious meal. And it's quick and I know it like the back of my hand, so I can cook it with her there.

Mousse will be made a few hours before and go in the fridge to set. Bruschetta can be made together, which is cute, and I can have her make the salad while I'm whipping up the Carbonara (or before).

Is switching mains a good move?

I've not had a bad cooking date thus far but still, I don't want to gently caress this one up!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

rj54x posted:

So, I know this has been asked before, but damned if I can find the response. So here goes anyway.

Yesterday, I was given about two pounds of lovely duck breastesses. I've never cooked them before, so I want to know two things:

1. A simple, no-nonsense preparation that will maximize the general duckiness of said breasts. Best to just salt and pepper and toss in a skillet on medium, or?

2. A more esoteric application. I'm open to almost anything.

Score the fat in a diamond pattern (google it) then in a hot pan (NON STICK!) lay the breast down fat side first. Leave it for about 5 - 8 minutes and enjoy the euphoric sites and smell of duck fat melting.

After time is up, flip the breast, cover, and place the pan in a 350 degree oven for 5 - 7 minutes for medium rare.

Remove pan from oven, place breasts on a board to rest (at least 10 minutes) before slicing.

In the pan you now have wonderful duck fat so throw in a few sliced mushrooms and shallots with a bit of wine to deglaze the pan.

Slice the duck against the grain and serve.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

I'm new to roasting beef and I'm wondering: what's the best way to cook a center cut chuck roast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
I have a huge amount of unused tomatillo salsa. Can I cook some meat in it for tacos, or is there something about tomatillos that makes that a bad idea?