Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

juche mane posted:

Came out to the lot after work today to find a puddle of coolant. Welp. Looks like I'm in for the famous E36 80k mile cooling system overhaul!

Who's done this themselves, and what kits do you recommend?

Highly, highly recommend this kit, it's just outstanding for the price:
http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Parts_Cooling_Package/PKG-E36-COOLING-ALUM.html

This kit sidesteps most of the issues with the factory cooling system and should be good for 100k miles or more.

I have done the process on three separate E36s and can answer just about any question you have. I highly recommend purchasing spare radiator clips (BMW P/N 17111723341) from the dealer or online shop. You will need a skinny 32mm wrench, also known as a headset wrench available at any local bikeshop or online.

The process is very straightforward and is well documented in DIYs online.

Stardotstar fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I have a problem with my car and I am having trouble trying to find any info using google.

The car is a 2004 330Ci with Auto transmission.

The car starts up and idles ok. When driving, it seems like it has trouble shifting, and when I get to around 1800-2200 RPM it kind of acts like its losing power instead of shifting to the next gear. If I depress the throttle as if I was going to accelerate to make a pass, the engine seems to bog down. If I just ease the throttle, it will go up and I had no problem driving it on the highway home. Also, I don't know if this is me just noticing it or if this is a problem, but the MPG needle seems to peg out at the 12 or under side a lot now.

The car has about 80k miles. I've owned it for about a year and a half. I had the inspection 2 done at 75k and aside from oil, I have not had any service done. I do not have service history before I bought the car.

Any help? Planning on calling a shop a couple blocks from me tomorrow to see what they say, but if you guys have any info that'd be neat.

I have an 04 325xi, and have the same issue it appears. I have been lead to believe its the VANOS seals. I called my dealership today about it, and they want to check it out before they'll tell me if it's covered under warranty.

When I read the symptoms part of this VANOS Replacement, it was exactly what my car is doing.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

ExecuDork posted:

I ran my 1996 328is, bone stock, in autocross today. Final results haven't been posted, but I was happy with my times and had lots of fun. I'm in class F-stock. Better tires would make the biggest difference, though an LSD and some general clean-up (under the hood, and suspension) would be helpful, too.

Hah, I'm definitely not looking to beat 911s and such. I just want something to maybe run in STX/STU/DSP/CSP where there are actually some cars to compete against. Sometimes I'm literally the only D-stock entry. Our club also doesn't do PAX so I ended up just trying to better a DSP 325is to make myself feel better.

I've actually had my 328is out and it seemed pretty fun, but it really does need the LSD. I've been lusting after m3s but I'm not sure if it's worth it around here. 12-15k for a good example, then running it in slaloms and a 1.6km roadcourse that is almost all about handling. A nice 328i looks to be about 5-6k which leaves a ton of room for overhaul and modification. I priced out decent coilovers + an LSD for my ZHP and I could probably BUY the 328 for that.

I've already got a feeler out to one in montreal, but it's probably sold by now:

Stupid wheels, but green e36 sedans are awesome.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Binge posted:

I have an 04 325xi, and have the same issue it appears. I have been lead to believe its the VANOS seals. I called my dealership today about it, and they want to check it out before they'll tell me if it's covered under warranty.

When I read the symptoms part of this VANOS Replacement, it was exactly what my car is doing.
Yeah, that Symptoms list describes what my car is doing pretty well. I had always read that VANOS problems were accompanied by a rattle like marbles in a coffee can, so I didn't think that's what it could have been.

You mention warranty...do you have an extended warranty? Or is this something that anyone can call a dealership about and they might cover it more like a service bulletin or a recall? I guess I'll call the closest dealership tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Crustachio: That is an awesome looking car, shame about the wheels but I agree that color suits it quite nicely.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
VANOS seals aren't covered under any sort of recall/warranty (that I know of), and dealer replacement really isn't the ideal option - they use the same seals that caused the problem in the first place. The best options are to either rebuild the unit yourself (http://www.beisansystems.com/) or get a refurb unit with the aftermarket seals, and install it yourself (http://www.drvanos.com/).

E46 vanos is fairly DIY friendly, no re-timing necessary like the e36. Or if you aren't willing to DIY it, a shop could probably install either kit for a fraction of dealer labour cost.

Of course, get someone to diagnose it before you spend the money.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006

Stardotstar posted:

Highly, highly recommend this kit, it's just outstanding for the price:
http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Parts_Cooling_Package/PKG-E36-COOLING-ALUM.html

This kit sidesteps most of the issues with the factory cooling system and should be good for 100k miles or more.

I have done the process on three separate E36s and can answer just about any question you have. I highly recommend purchasing spare radiator clips (BMW P/N 17111723341) from the dealer or online shop. You will need a skinny 32mm wrench, also known as a headset wrench available at any local bikeshop or online.

The process is very straightforward and is well documented in DIYs online.

Thanks much! It's out of stock but drat, I can see why. That's a great price and more new parts than any of the other kits I've come across.

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

Crustashio posted:

VANOS seals aren't covered under any sort of recall/warranty (that I know of), and dealer replacement really isn't the ideal option - they use the same seals that caused the problem in the first place. The best options are to either rebuild the unit yourself (http://www.beisansystems.com/) or get a refurb unit with the aftermarket seals, and install it yourself (http://www.drvanos.com/).

E46 vanos is fairly DIY friendly, no re-timing necessary like the e36. Or if you aren't willing to DIY it, a shop could probably install either kit for a fraction of dealer labour cost.

Of course, get someone to diagnose it before you spend the money.

Oh I would never let the dealer do such a thing. I called today for the hell of it to see if the warranty I purchased through them when I bought the car (almost a year ago) happened to cover it. They didn't know and had to call me back. When they did, they said the warranty company needs the problem verified before they'll tell me. Which sounds hopeful. Obviously they aren't just taking my word for it, and they wouldn't go through the trouble if it wasn't a possibility. At the very least, they're giving me a loaner car for the day. The last time I got a 2011 328xi. Is it wrong that I feel awkward or something, that they're gonna do all this work, not charge me (since this is just the diagnosis, I'm assuming), and I get to drive around all day in an 8+ year newer model car.

I found a BMW repair/race prep garage, that I would bring it to. I read through their entire DIY guide, and it scares the hell out of me. I've never done work like that on a car, and I don't think that's something I should dive into for my first real car fixer up.

edit - Would the complete kit from DrVanos be easier to do than the Beisan guide? Seems like the hardest part was taking the VANOS itself apart, and the DrVanos is just a whole new one you slap on?

Binge fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 10, 2012

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Crustashio posted:

Stupid wheels, but green e36 sedans are awesome.

IDK, I kinda dig those wheels. That car is clean as gently caress.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

Binge posted:

Oh I would never let the dealer do such a thing. I called today for the hell of it to see if the warranty I purchased through them when I bought the car (almost a year ago) happened to cover it. They didn't know and had to call me back. When they did, they said the warranty company needs the problem verified before they'll tell me. Which sounds hopeful. Obviously they aren't just taking my word for it, and they wouldn't go through the trouble if it wasn't a possibility. At the very least, they're giving me a loaner car for the day. The last time I got a 2011 328xi. Is it wrong that I feel awkward or something, that they're gonna do all this work, not charge me (since this is just the diagnosis, I'm assuming), and I get to drive around all day in an 8+ year newer model car.

I found a BMW repair/race prep garage, that I would bring it to. I read through their entire DIY guide, and it scares the hell out of me. I've never done work like that on a car, and I don't think that's something I should dive into for my first real car fixer up.

edit - Would the complete kit from DrVanos be easier to do than the Beisan guide? Seems like the hardest part was taking the VANOS itself apart, and the DrVanos is just a whole new one you slap on?

Are you sure you won't be charged for diagnostics? I've seen a lot of warranties where diagnostic fees aren't covered if the repair itself isn't covered.

swampnutz
Oct 30, 2005

Binge posted:

I recently did the Beisan seals and rattle fixes on my E36/S52 and the actual VANOS disassembly/repair is trivial - if you have all the right tools, which I ended up buying from the vendors suggested on the Beisan instruction pages. If I didn't have big ideas that I'd be fixing other VANOS cars, I'd probably have not bought all the tools required for the Beisan method and just called DrVanos - they have nicely integrated tools-rental options.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Chinatown posted:

IDK, I kinda dig those wheels. That car is clean as gently caress.

Agreed, they aren't terrible.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

DrVanos is a whole vanos you bolt on and comes with proper gasket and everything. I did that route since I didn't have a vice and all that and was feeling a bit lazy. If you go that route the process is quite simple and just unbolting down to the valve cover and vanos and there are no real trouble spots if you take your time. It can be a bit messy as a bunch of oil spills from the vanos.

And if you're like me the VCG has become solid and brittle and has fused to your plastic valve cover which will then fracture and waste 3 days of your time (on a car with <60k).

Someone probably already said to but I will say anyway you should do plugs and VCG while you do vanos job if they haven't been done in a while.

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

Is the thermostat sensor in that vicinity as well? I need to replace that, and if it's close by I may as well get it over with. The BMW garage I talked to said they'd fix the VANOS for 70/hr +60 parts. I think at this point, after watching a lot of youtube videos on it, I want to do it myself, and replace the VCG/plugs/Thermostat/VANOS. It would be like a whole new car again and I'd probably learn a boatload about my engine in the process.

Next, I just need to figure out whats rattling on my rear end, and the vehicle will be in perfect shape. Well other than needing new tires, and brakes coming up soon, oh god it doesn't end. But it's so worth it.

swampnutz
Oct 30, 2005

Binge posted:

The BMW garage I talked to said they'd fix the VANOS for 70/hr +60 parts. I think at this point, after watching a lot of youtube videos on it, I want to do it myself, and replace the VCG/plugs/Thermostat/VANOS. It would be like a whole new car again and I'd probably learn a boatload about my engine in the process.

Keep in mind that the DrVanos/Beisan fixes don't just repair the seals and rattling - they improve on the core design by spec'ing more durable seal materials and a custom bearing ring. So if the shop just used OEM parts, the problem could return while you still have the car. Any DIY action that fixes stuff AND improves an underlying design is irresistible for me!

I definitely learned a boatload about my engine - whole thing was pretty fun. Make sure to replace your valve cover gaskets while in there.

littlewing
Apr 10, 2003

Anyone have experience with dash clusters that are mostly not working? My 1600 cab has a e30 m3 dash in it (my dad did that swap). The speedometer works fine, aside from needing to be re-calibrated due to the smaller wheels. The tach isn't accurate and it kind of shakes. The temp gauge appears mostly accurate, but it also shakes until the engine warms up. The oil temp is totally off (may not even be connected for all I know) and the fuel gauge stays at full for a looooong time then begins to dive quickly towards empty once you've used about half a tank. I'm hoping it's just the connections to the PCB and not the board itself. Any common problems that you guys are familiar with?

Another question I have is regarding the cooling. The s14 runs pretty hot, which from what I've read isn't totally out of the ordinary for that kind of swap. It's got an electric fan going to a auto/manual toggle switch (set to always on). The water pump is a machined down version of the e30 pump and I believe the radiator is out of the donor m3. As soon as I hit a stop light, the engine starts to heat up. I've read that going to a mix of 50-50 water and coolant or even 85 water 15 coolant can really help the engine run cooler. Any truth to this? I'm not sure what's in there now. My dad seemed to think it was more coolant than water but couldn't be sure. Are there any other baseline things I should be checking/thinking about?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

littlewing posted:

the engine starts to heat up

What does this mean in actual numbers? If it's within operating specs and stays that way there's nothing wrong with that and it's quite expected. If it's cruising into the 230s you have a serious problem that no coolant/water mix is going to take care of on its own (radiator too small, airflow insufficient, water flow insufficient in that general order of likelihood).

littlewing
Apr 10, 2003

Motronic posted:

What does this mean in actual numbers? If it's within operating specs and stays that way there's nothing wrong with that and it's quite expected. If it's cruising into the 230s you have a serious problem that no coolant/water mix is going to take care of on its own (radiator too small, airflow insufficient, water flow insufficient in that general order of likelihood).

What would I need to do to get an actual number?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

littlewing posted:

An actual temp gauge with numbers. Sucks but that's the only way to do it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

littlewing posted:

Any decent OBDII reader capable of live data will do it. So will a scangauge or an ultragauge.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Will it be able to pull that info from pre-OBD2 stuff? I know on my E30 dash, the temperature gauge would be all funky until I pulled it out and tightened the ground on the back of the temp gauge and gas gauge.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

BrokenKnucklez posted:

An actual temp gauge with numbers. Sucks but that's the only way to do it.
Not really. DIS will give you that and much much more.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Wow, I was completely thinking of something else....

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Lightbulb Out posted:

Will it be able to pull that info from pre-OBD2 stuff? I know on my E30 dash, the temperature gauge would be all funky until I pulled it out and tightened the ground on the back of the temp gauge and gas gauge.

Oh, thats right, you aren't OBDII. DIS or a separate manual gauge are probably the right answers, but an IR thermometer just might suffice for a quick idea of what's going on.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
As with others on the internet, I've been getting (for a while, I've just ignored them) a CEL light, with the OBDII readings being P1188 and P1189. I had one of the O2 sensors replaced about a year ago, and replaced the MAF (which needed to be done as the car was having trouble idling) about 9 months ago. I wouldn't care too much about this since the car runs flawlessly, except I'm due for an emissions test.

This is on a 1999 M3 with ~148k mi on it. From looking around, it's sounding like the most likely component is the CCV, which was also my mechanic's guess.

So, my question:

We're going to clear the codes with the car warm tomorrow morning so I can drive up to the emissions place and see if I can pass my test before the light comes back on.
Assuming this works (when we've reset the codes before it usually takes a few hours to a day for it to come back on), am I hurting the car by waiting another few months to replace the CCV?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Kenshin posted:

As with others on the internet, I've been getting (for a while, I've just ignored them) a CEL light, with the OBDII readings being P1188 and P1189. I had one of the O2 sensors replaced about a year ago, and replaced the MAF (which needed to be done as the car was having trouble idling) about 9 months ago. I wouldn't care too much about this since the car runs flawlessly, except I'm due for an emissions test.

This is on a 1999 M3 with ~148k mi on it. From looking around, it's sounding like the most likely component is the CCV, which was also my mechanic's guess.

So, my question:

We're going to clear the codes with the car warm tomorrow morning so I can drive up to the emissions place and see if I can pass my test before the light comes back on.
Assuming this works (when we've reset the codes before it usually takes a few hours to a day for it to come back on), am I hurting the car by waiting another few months to replace the CCV?
Depending on where you are, this probably won't work. There's a flag they check in the ECU that tells them how long it's been since the codes were cleared, and it's considered a failure if it's not long enough (which is something like "a few hours to a day").

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Krakkles posted:

Depending on where you are, this probably won't work. There's a flag they check in the ECU that tells them how long it's been since the codes were cleared, and it's considered a failure if it's not long enough (which is something like "a few hours to a day").

The car has to go through a certain number of run cycles until all of the sensors return 'ready', which is what fails you (the not ready part).

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Is there a way to clear airbag codes via OBDII? I've got a USB and my buddy has Carsoft software which seems to maybe have an option to clear codes but I'm not sure of there's an SRS tool or interface specifically for it.

I've gotta get inspected by the end of the month and I don't imagine I'll pass with that light. Stupid me pulled my seats to clean red wine puke but left the keys in the ignition

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
If you have a 20 pin diag port under the hood you have to use that, not the connector under the dash. Carsoft can do this (and sucks).

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Krakkles posted:

Ah, good to know. Alright, I guess I'll probably go ahead with the new CCV...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Krakkles posted:

It's not a flag.

Ther are very specific emissions readiness monitors. State inspections that use these require so many to be in a "ready" state (and none of them in a fail state) for you to pass. It depends on the state as well as the year of the vehicle.

Google "OBD2 Drive Cycle" and whatever is relevant to your state to figure out how many of them need to be in a ready state to pass. If you can have one or more not ready and pass you can play games with clearing codes and driving just enough of the drive cycle (and having the right amount of fuel in the tank if your evap is failing) to have x number of them ready with no failures.

But that would be wrong, so I'm sure you wouldn't do that.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
The other possibility of course is that once he clears them it won't come back--I forgot to mention that two weeks ago the (damaged/crushed) air filter for my Dinan CAI was replaced.

Could it be that it's been like that because there wasn't enough air getting in through the engine? Seeing as all that air flows right through the MAF... well, this is all useless speculation I suppose. I'll see what happens tomorrow.

swampnutz
Oct 30, 2005

Is this an alarming amount of rust on the driver's side of an S52? I've daily-driven my E36 in Chicago for more than 10 years and it's got some additional, developing rust on the underside. What's that stuff called that you can paint over rust to retard its spread..?

littlewing
Apr 10, 2003

Motronic posted:

Oh, thats right, you aren't OBDII. DIS or a separate manual gauge are probably the right answers, but an IR thermometer just might suffice for a quick idea of what's going on.

Sounds like a good starting point, thanks guys!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
On the E8x cars (and probably also E60 and E90 and friends), is it somehow possible to splice into the audio feed? I have an audio signal from, say, a third-party GPS, which will every so often come in play. Any way to get that in over the radio? The headunit in question is the bottom-of-the-barrel one.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I'm planning on ordering a DICE Mediabridge for my new E39. Right now all I have is radio and the stock tape deck, as the CD changer isn't working (though it's connected and gets power... seems they tend to be a bit flakey).

I'm interested in it mainly for the Bluetooth and USB capabilities. If I just plan on sticking an 8GB memory stick into it and using that and the bluetooth, there isn't any wiring I have to install to the front, right? It's all just plugged into the changer harness in the trunk?

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Welp, me hood doesn't open anymore. I'm hoping I don't have to tear apart the entire kick panel and dash and remove the fende-ahahaha who am I kidding? :cry:

Off to the DIYs I go!

pr0craztinazn
Feb 24, 2006
Hooray, there is creaking and a significant increase in thumping coming from my E46's driver's side rear suspension, and the subframe recall wasn't completed when I bought the car last year. Time to send it to a professional to handle welding I am definitely not confident in doing myself :(

littlewing posted:

As soon as I hit a stop light, the engine starts to heat up. I've read that going to a mix of 50-50 water and coolant or even 85 water 15 coolant can really help the engine run cooler. Any truth to this? I'm not sure what's in there now. My dad seemed to think it was more coolant than water but couldn't be sure. Are there any other baseline things I should be checking/thinking about?
An electric fan with no shrouding may not be particularly effective when sitting for a while, especially if the fan does not flow more than 1600cfm. Making sure the cooling system is properly bled is critical. More water than coolant in the mixture tends to benefit heat transfer and reduce operating temperature.

littlewing
Apr 10, 2003

pr0craztinazn posted:

An electric fan with no shrouding may not be particularly effective when sitting for a while, especially if the fan does not flow more than 1600cfm. Making sure the cooling system is properly bled is critical. More water than coolant in the mixture tends to benefit heat transfer and reduce operating temperature.

I've got the one linked below, which appears to be rated for 1280cfm based off the reference data. I was slightly nervous seeing that they say "From our low profile fan line this fan is ideal for oil cooler applications also popular in the motorcycle and ATV industry." I know of a couple fan options that people with 02's have been running on s14 or m20 swaps. The fan I've got is an 11-inch. Most 02's try to run 12 or 14-inch fans with higher ratings. One of the 14-inch fans that's popular does 2000cfm. I think space might be a factor for me, but I'm certainly open to replacing the fan with something a little more proven.

http://www.spalusa.com/store/main.aspx?p=itemdetail&item=30100365

I asked my Dad about the coolant and he seemed to think it was more coolant than water, so I'm planning on having it drained and replaced. What I've read on 2002 specific sites seems to suggest a 85% water 15% coolant mix on swapped engines/modded m10's. Since I don't know what the mix ratio is, when it was put in or changed last, might as well get a known mix in. Do you have thoughts on that 85/15 ratio? I'll probably have the radiator flushed at the same time to try and remove any blockages.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

juche mane posted:

Welp, me hood doesn't open anymore. I'm hoping I don't have to tear apart the entire kick panel and dash and remove the fende-ahahaha who am I kidding? :cry:

Off to the DIYs I go!

Assuming the cable broke, you're probably going to need to smash out the kidney grilles and fish around for the latch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Binge posted:

Binge, have you had your car in to the shop yet? If so, what did they say? I'm taking mine in this evening after work and they're going to look at it in the morning. My CEL has come on at this point, but the car is acting the same it has since the problem started.