Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

kastein posted:

Worst case that is a really nice motor to put in something else when you get tired of looking like an old rich white man or a washed up rapper.

*cough* I know of a guy selling a rust free 89 comanche rolling shell for 300 bucks that NEEDS an LS/LT/Lwhatever motor put in it *cough*

The motor is a big portion of the reason why I picked an Escalade over a Yukon or whatever. I wanted to pick up the fastest least slow truck I could afford that was still capable of hauling a ton of poo poo / people and towing, since I want to get a boat at some point. I also am enamored with lovely electronic gadgets and other garbage that likes to break, and the Escalade had the most of those too. Was originally looking for an ESV, but I couldn't find any even close to my price range, except for a theft recovery 700 miles away that was missing a bunch of poo poo. My truck actually has a couple battle scars though, so the best I could pull off would probably be "rich white man poser."

How did you the guy you know manage to come across a rust free 20+ year old Jeep product anywhere in the northeast? Or did you cheat and trailer it here from down south?

NOTinuyasha posted:

Doesn't really matter if SUVs are in style, nothing quite represents like an Escalade. I'm surprised they'd have to discount one of those things, much less be stuck selling it to someone who didn't really want it. On Long Island of all places. Even the aspirational trash has enough money round there.

I actually had to take the Amtrak out to Kingston, RI to pick it up from the private seller who had it. LI and the immediate surrounding area had nothing worthwhile priced below $9k except for a few obvious scam ads. The couple that I did call / email about never got back to me.

some texas redneck posted:

That's for the rear air suspension. Since it looks like it's jacked way up in the back, I'm going to guess either the suspension module took a poo poo or the exhaust valve is stuck closed.

A quick Google search suggests it's almost always the exhaust valve getting stuck, which is part of the compressor assembly. $500ish from GM, $200ish aftermarket, and it appears to be really easy to replace - it looks like it bolts to the drivers side frame rail, near the hose from the filler to the gas tank. Occasionally it's blown rear air shocks, but since it's jacked way up in the back, that kind of rules that out.

This is what I have been seeing as well, although I haven't done a ton of research yet. A stuck exhaust valve makes sense, since the suspension is really tight feeling over bumps. I didn't even really pay it any mind at first, since I'm so used to driving my Prelude which feels the same (except it's normal in that car). Not being a truck person really, I had not much basis for comparison. At least the compressor seems easy to replace, as you said.

Also, it looks like Arnott Air Suspension Products is a sponsor on the Cadillac forum I just joined, and it seems there's a 10% off online code floating around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Wamsutta posted:

Is that a set of BMW 162's on the wall? What're they going on?

Yes, but that's not my garage. The owner/detailer has an e90 335i that puts down 441rwhp.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

Some men just like to watch the world burn in the rearview mirror.

Full plan:

The fuel system has a hard line through the center of the body that has not had fuel in it for 50 years. I have clogged 4 of these cheapo fuel filters just siphoning fuel through and its finally starting to come out clean. The line is not hooked up to the weber's yet and I plan to swap it out for a proper filter when I finish the lines.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Black88GTA posted:

How did you the guy you know manage to come across a rust free 20+ year old Jeep product anywhere in the northeast? Or did you cheat and trailer it here from down south?

I have no idea. It looks clean as hell, might have minor rocker or floorboard rust but the bed is the cleanest straightest one I've ever seen. I posted a link to it in the jeep thread.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Set up the time alignment on the amp I got from craigslist the other day. 800us delay on the left side in an e34 makes everything sound like everything is coming from inside my head.

Can we (I) get a automotive electronics megathread up in here?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Lowclock posted:

Can we (I) get a automotive electronics megathread up in here?

That would be rad.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
we can start with this:

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Tinted my rear turn indicators.

I wanted to do the indicators on my side mirrors too, but I messed up one of the tails on my first attempt so I didn't have enough film :(

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

smax posted:

Tinted my rear turn indicators.

I wanted to do the indicators on my side mirrors too, but I messed up one of the tails on my first attempt so I didn't have enough film :(

Looks good, what did you use? I have been kicking the idea around to tint my rear lights as well but I am unsure about the quality I could pull off myself.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Chinatown posted:

Looks good, what did you use? I have been kicking the idea around to tint my rear lights as well but I am unsure about the quality I could pull off myself.

I picked up some dark smoke vinyl from metrorestyling.com. It was less than $10 shipped for a 12x24 inch sheet. Very cheap, and you can just yank it off if it doesn't turn out the way you want it to.

I applied it dry and took care not to get any bubbles underneath. I wouldn't really recommend that to anyone--it didn't really work out for me on attempt number one. I'd apply it with water the next time around. I applied strips big enough to cover te entire area I wanted to tint, then trimmed the film with a razor blade once in place.

The trick with the Mk6 tail lights is that they are completely smooth. There's no seam or physical feature that divides the clear and the red plastic to trim along, and the clear seems to overlay the red plastic so that if you look at it from different angles you see different amounts of clear and red. Hard to explain it, but the end result is that it's very tricky to freehand trimming the film. I used some painters tape to lay out where to cut the film, then basically traced along the edges of the tape. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.
Today i replaced the engine sub frame bushings in my 79 Cordoba. the OEM ones were soft rubber for that luxo feel. Since im tired of the car rolling all over when it hits bumps and turns, i went for poly bushings.

This wouldve been impossible to do without a shop. I had the car in the air and all 4 mounts out, but still not enough clearance between frames to pull the metal shanked-rubber bushings up and out. I had to use the oxyfuel torch and melt those fuckers out. the bushings caught on fire and it was a big mess but it worked.

About 2 hours, total. Got it all snug and it handles great. Yeah i can feel the bumps better but way less body roll and oversteer. Even reduced some front end shimmy thats plauged me for a while.

Bad news was i ordered a new pitman arm, put it in, and there was some slight tolerance problems between the otherwise matching splines, so there was like 1/16th play. the old one is rock solid on the splines, just has a bad joint, so i put that one back in for now.

I had hastily put a 4bbl edelbrock carb on a year ago or so and hadnt done much tuning. Inspecting int today i found my secondaries werent even opening. I adjusted the throttle linkage and holy poo poo.

This car just went from meh to hang the gently caress on.
Now if i can just avoid wrecking its pretty paint.

The car: smog 360 904 edelbrock intake 500 cfm carb orange box ignition. basic mopar stuff.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Installed my new Ultragauge. Put it above the rearview mirror, it tucks in perfectly. I wanted it to be out of view so I wouldn't have to worry about someone mistaking it for a GPS unit and breaking into my car (park in the city a lot). It is completely invisible outside the car thanks to the dark area at that spot of the windshield. Tucked the wire behind the headliner and down the A pillar, the only spot you see it is at the OBD port.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

opengl128 posted:

Installed my new Ultragauge. Put it above the rearview mirror, it tucks in perfectly. I wanted it to be out of view so I wouldn't have to worry about someone mistaking it for a GPS unit and breaking into my car (park in the city a lot). It is completely invisible outside the car thanks to the dark area at that spot of the windshield. Tucked the wire behind the headliner and down the A pillar, the only spot you see it is at the OBD port.

The :h: is so :3:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Sponge! posted:

The :h: is so :3:

I had no idea what that thing was for until I read through the manual.

The Health indicator is a heart that beats roughly every second. As long as the heart continues to beat, UltraGauge is functioning normally.

Hilarious. Like, it couldn't just throw up an error message or something? I needs a beating heart?

Otherwise, I love this thing. Endlessly customizable with almost too many options. Dozens of gauges to choose from. Extremely affordable compared to the alternatives too.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

opengl128 posted:

Hilarious. Like, it couldn't just throw up an error message or something? I needs a beating heart?
In case it locks up, I guess.

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.
I re-installed my rear whiteline bar (after one of the bolts failed at highway speed and warped the poo poo out of the other one and the bracket yay!) and changed my oil. I told my wife the plan for today and she said "can I help?" Three hours in the 100 degree+ Kansas humidity later, she knows how to change the oil, brake pads and install a sway bar. Best wife. :allears:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

The Jabberwocky posted:

I re-installed my rear whiteline bar (after one of the bolts failed at highway speed and warped the poo poo out of the other one and the bracket yay!) and changed my oil. I told my wife the plan for today and she said "can I help?" Three hours in the 100 degree+ Kansas humidity later, she knows how to change the oil, brake pads and install a sway bar. Best wife. :allears:

She have a sister?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I sold a bunch of my spare parts and threw together a prefab shelf for the garage. Maybe tomorrow morning I'll replace the oil filler o-ring.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Replaced rust inside my protege's wheel well with equal parts (scrap) metal and bondo. Babby's first body work project

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
Vacuumed and detailed it but it still needs some more love.

Also, How the gently caress does so much cat hair get in my car? It's like the car upholstery is a magnet for it and even a 2500watt vacuum wont move it.

Gotta tweezer some of those hairs out. :mad:

edit: emailed ultragauge about using it on my car. I have a similar system set up through a laptop but it is ultrawankie.

tobu fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 15, 2012

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Saturday I changed the oil and oil filter in the Volvo.

Yesterday I installed my new license plate and frame and fought with the stupid screws and inserts with regard to that.

Nothing terribly exciting but it had to be done.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jul 16, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Pulled the control arms off the front of the '92 240 in preparation for new bushings.
Tonight/tomorrow the sway bar and the rest of the suspension is coming off.

I pulled back the steering rack boot to see if I could get around it to put a socket on the front control arm bolt. To my surprise the boot was FULL of fluid.

I didn't think the boot was supposed to be the seal but now I'm just confused; there's a hose that runs from the boot to the rack.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
I used the battery from the triumph to bring it home. The battery has been completely dead for over 6 months and in storage.

I made a battery tray and moved it to the trunk so I don't have to use a stupid sized battery to fit under the fmic piping.

and now it works again, today I have to clean it up and put the interior back in an repair the wires that the packrats going to the ac and gauges. hopefully I will get to mounting the new fmic and make the piping, and fitting and trimming the new bumper.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Replaced my exhaust manifold gaskets.

It was time.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.
no poo poo, that takes time. I work for a national exhaust/muff chain, i wouldnt try to change the gasket from the manifold to the y pipe without a major ocyhfuel heatup first. If you did the manifold to head gasket, god bless you for not stripping a stud.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Not my ride, my garage. Hung this dude up, it was harder than it appears.

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO

Today I washed and waxed the old girl, but recently I cut off the lower valance. Shows the factory skidplates, tow hooks and gave the front tires a little more clearance. Maybe someday I'll get around to the piece of poo poo wheel bearing and replace the stolen faceplate to my stereo.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

It was Sunday but I sold the GTI, good bye old friend :smith:

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Raw_Beef posted:

no poo poo, that takes time. I work for a national exhaust/muff chain, i wouldnt try to change the gasket from the manifold to the y pipe without a major ocyhfuel heatup first. If you did the manifold to head gasket, god bless you for not stripping a stud.

These were the manifold/head gaskets, yeah. The studs/nuts actually didn't protest too much when I took them off - there was only one that needed anything more than a 3/8" ratchet to break it loose. I got really lucky there. Unfortunately, I somehow managed to break the transmission mount, so I get to do that today.

1st Edition ADandD
Aug 31, 2009

:frogout: and take your vacuum lines with you.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Replaced my xenon ballast:

$150 for an OEM ballast at Bavarian Autosport. I toyed with the idea of finding an aftermarket system (someone on bimmerforums pointed me to an entire set for $50) but I can't yet determine what's poo poo and what isn't, and I want to maintain the OEM stuff as much as I can for now. Works great.

Also replaced my front trim piece with the one without a license plate holder, since my state doesn't require front plates:

And finally, I replaced all four valve cover caps as well since they were missing and cheap to replace.

XCPuff
Nov 26, 2005

FEAR THIS MAN
Plasti-Dip'd my wheels last night.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

1st Edition ADandD posted:

:frogout: and take your vacuum lines with you.

Awesome! its always so great to pull that crap out and never have to do emissions again. 25 years in my state.

Had a 87 f150 yesterday, customer said the "header gaskets" were blown (truck had manifolds...) Thing was making a huge racket like it was running open manifolds with a big cam.

On inspection, the EGR valve on the cross pipe above the bell housing from manifold to manifold had just blown the gently caress out, from rusting away and pressure all those years. it had been plugged previously so it had nowhere to go but out!

Since removing and replacing this part was pointless/would probably tear open the cross pipe, i just ground the drat thing flat and welded it shut. This isnt standard procedure but for a POS 87 F150 the customer didnt really care to have the whole new manifolds done if/when the cross pipe broke whle trying to unscrew the 1"+nut that holds on the EGR valve, which has been rusting in place since 1987.
Sometimes shortcuts are good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Got a new radiator for the SHO, my buddy I bought it from also has a brand new suspension for it still in the box AND a full exhaust for it that I'll be picking up next month. This car is gonna be fantastic when I finish.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Replaced the cabin air filter. Gross.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Replace the ugly orange side markers with clear. Still have the crappy winter rims and tires on the car because I'm too poor to buy some replacements for the shot summer wheels.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Replaced the timing chain tensioner in the E39:

Then, I went and signed for this 2013 Fiesta 5-speed (More pictures to come in the 'post your ride' thread):

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Tore off the clear bra on my front bumper. Wow, it was faded and opaque as poo poo. Next is the hood and the side mirrors in a week or so.

Also decided not to reattach my front license plate after removing the clear bra because I had forgotten how much better it looks without a stupid plate in the front. I guess I will get to see if the cops around here care or not.

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car

Chinatown posted:

Tore off the clear bra on my front bumper. Wow, it was faded and opaque as poo poo. Next is the hood and the side mirrors in a week or so.

Also decided not to reattach my front license plate after removing the clear bra because I had forgotten how much better it looks without a stupid plate in the front. I guess I will get to see if the cops around here care or not.

They probably do, keep it in the car with you just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I installed a rear strut tower bar today. Now the knob for my Koni adjusters isn't anywhere near long enough to reach through the hole in the strut tower bar and reach the adjuster tab.

Is there some kind of Koni adjuster extension out there? I found flexible ones for the Tokico D-Specs but nothing for Koni Yellows. An extra inch or two would do it, but the more the better. Maybe I should recruit a machinist.