Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
That's right up there with "Mini Mac" and "Mac Air Book Pro" - just as grating to my internal monologue as it is to my ears.

I know, I know. :goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Accipiter posted:

Oh, so Apple doesn't ship internal storage with new Macs anymore?

See, I can be a wise-rear end too.
That's commonly referred to as "hardware" not "media".

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.
Anyone elses Mail.app not syncing with their gmail accounts? Tried deleting then adding it back and nothing is coming through.

NVM, just had to restart the whole app.

William Munny fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 12, 2012

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
I'm having some bizarre Time Machine problems on my ~2008 2.2 Core Due black plastic macbook running 10.7.3.

A few weeks ago my Time Machine started throwing an error of backup failed. Figuring something had gotten corrupted, I went to erase the external HD, but Disk Utility couldn't unmount the disk, no matter what I did.

I assumed something was busted with this HD, so I ordered a new external HD. Plugged it in, formatted it - fine. Ran one backup that seems to have worked, and then subsequent backups all failed too. Went to wipe this HD, and now this one won't unmount.

Anyone run into this or know what is going on? Both HDs are plugged in through a powered USB hub, and I had read that sometimes TM doesn't play nicely with hubs, but it had worked fine for 2+ years before that...

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Binary Badger posted:

From what I've seen of Mountain Lion, the alleged GM, I think the term is smoother, not snappier. Especially Safari, seeing that blue fill line seems more agreeable than what we had before. And almost all the Safari extensions I'm used to using seem to work well.

That might sway me to plunk down the cash and buy Mountain Lion even though I'm on an "older" Mac (mid-2010 15'' MacBook Pro). I was a bit disappointed that some of ML's cooler features, like Power Nap, require recent hardware. But I might as well pick up ML now and grab 10.9 when it comes on a Haswell-equipped rMBP next year.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Terpfen posted:

That might sway me to plunk down the cash and buy Mountain Lion even though I'm on an "older" Mac (mid-2010 15'' MacBook Pro). I was a bit disappointed that some of ML's cooler features, like Power Nap, require recent hardware. But I might as well pick up ML now and grab 10.9 when it comes on a Haswell-equipped rMBP next year.

Is it naïve to not consider the 2010 models "old" yet? PowerNap isn't even supported on computers you can buy right now; Apple says it's only supported on models with built-in flash storage.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
Well this loving sucks. Anyone have any idea why Bluetooth PAN would go missing from Lion's network preferences?

I don't know that it's ever been there under Lion, but I was definitely able to do it on this same machine with Snow Leopard.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

Petey posted:

I'm having some bizarre Time Machine problems on my ~2008 2.2 Core Due black plastic macbook running 10.7.3.

A few weeks ago my Time Machine started throwing an error of backup failed. Figuring something had gotten corrupted, I went to erase the external HD, but Disk Utility couldn't unmount the disk, no matter what I did.

I assumed something was busted with this HD, so I ordered a new external HD. Plugged it in, formatted it - fine. Ran one backup that seems to have worked, and then subsequent backups all failed too. Went to wipe this HD, and now this one won't unmount.

Please show me the messages in your system log from backupd at the time of the failure. Additionally, look for messages from the kernel that mention disk I/O errors, and include those as well. They may be present at other times or in system logs that have been rotated.

edit: FYI the best thing to do is file a bug and include the data gathered by tmdiagnose.

quote:

I had read that sometimes TM doesn't play nicely with hubs

Time Machine has no idea what a USB hub is; the connection topology of your backup disk, at that level, is completely unknown to TM.

Mikey-San fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 12, 2012

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

carry on then posted:

Is it naïve to not consider the 2010 models "old" yet? PowerNap isn't even supported on computers you can buy right now; Apple says it's only supported on models with built-in flash storage.

Well, that does make sense.

A hard drive would mean spinning up the HDD while the unit sleeps. With flash, it's probably much easier.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Macbook Pro, 10.6.8.

When I bring this thing home from work (where I leave it charging all day) and open it up, it's fine. Wakes up in seconds, all's well. But if I then close it up for a while, then open it again, it doesn't want to wake up at all. I press keys, hit the power button, nothing. The keys will be lit up, but after a few minutes they'll go out. When this happens my only alternative is to do a cold restart - and to do that I've gotta hold the power button down for around 15 seconds or more.

The weird thing is, a lot of the time when this happens to me I can see the OS, but it's as if the brightness is turned down to 1% (I don't mean the brightness is at the lowest setting - this is much, much darker than that). I can't see it well enough to do anything, only well enough to know it's there, and so I can tell when I do something like ctrl-1 to change spaces.

It doesn't happen when connected to the charger, but my battery's sitting at 95% so it's not because it's dead. What's going on here?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Yeast posted:

Well, that does make sense.

A hard drive would mean spinning up the HDD while the unit sleeps. With flash, it's probably much easier.
I think it requires Sandy Bridge or newer too. My Clarkdale i5 iMac with Apple OEM SSD doesn't support PowerNap either.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I think it requires Sandy Bridge or newer too. My Clarkdale i5 iMac with Apple OEM SSD doesn't support PowerNap either.

Wonder if they're planning something. The footnote in the page I linked above used to say only the 2011 and 2012 airs. Now it says

quote:

Power Nap requires a Mac notebook with built-in flash storage. May require a firmware update.

Probably how they'll support the earlier models.

edit: Oh, you meant OEM SSD in a bay. I think they mean built-in as in soldered in, not just "from the factory."

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Mikey-San posted:

Please show me the messages in your system log from backupd at the time of the failure. Additionally, look for messages from the kernel that mention disk I/O errors, and include those as well. They may be present at other times or in system logs that have been rotated.

In full sequence, on a second try:

quote:

Time Machine has no idea what a USB hub is; the connection topology of your backup disk, at that level, is completely unknown to TM.

Ok, that makes sense, I wasn't sure why the Apple Discussions forums were saying that.

Petey fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 12, 2012

ericIII
Apr 8, 2001
I code for food.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'm curious what the new update method for Apple programs (all done through the App Store) means for CD versions of iWork '09 and Aperture 3. I assume App Store will be able to see that you have it installed and provide updates, but I'd really love it if it just permanently added it to my Purchased list for my Apple ID.
As far as I can tell, the top section of updates in App Store is just the old Software Update mechanism, using from the same Apple server as Software Update did. You don't even need to be signed in to the App Store for it to show those updates.

I installed iWork 09 from the DVD in a fresh Mountain Lion VM and was offered "iWork Update 6" instead of updates to the individual apps.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

carry on then posted:

IIRC, Power Nap works with the rMBP, the new non-rMBPs, and the MacBook Air. Thus why I use quote marks to describe my Mac as an older model.

As long as ML improves OS X's RAM management (I'm tired of firing up my VM for just a few minutes, then quitting it and suffering from massively degraded performance in OS X) then it'll be worth the price to me.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

carry on then posted:

Wonder if they're planning something. The footnote in the page I linked above used to say only the 2011 and 2012 airs. Now it says

Probably how they'll support the earlier models.

edit: Oh, you meant OEM SSD in a bay. I think they mean built-in as in soldered in, not just "from the factory."

This is splitting hairs, but not even MBAs have their SSDs soldered in.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

~Coxy posted:

This is splitting hairs, but not even MBAs have their SSDs soldered in.

But it isn't, because Apple is making a distinction. By built in, they mean models designed expressly to have SSD only. It seems that if your computer was guaranteed to have flash storage, you can use PowerNap. That means MacBook Air 2010-present and rMBP only, unfortunately (those were the two models mentioned in the WWDC Keynote.)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Petey posted:

Ok, that makes sense, I wasn't sure why the Apple Discussions forums were saying that.
I'd guess cause hubs can gently caress up too, I had one for a while before my TM drive starting making GBS threads out. For a long time I thought it was the drive itself but it was only after I was getting problems with a newer drive and flash drive that I finally figured out it was the hub. I had other stuff connected and they worked fine, and even drives were fine when I was just reading from them, but when I started writing they disconnected by themselves.

tl;dr: Try without the hub to cut out any possible hardware issues. Try a new cable even, unlikely to be the culprit but you might as well try if you have other cables laying around.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Binary Badger posted:

I've noticed that unless I bought the app from the App Store, I don't get any updates.

But I also notice that on recently installed machines, iPhoto '11 won't update via Software Update and only through App Store, even though the Mac came prepackaged with iPhoto '11.

My girlfriend just bought a new Mac mini, her first Mac. It came with iLife, and after she logged into the Mac App Store with her Apple ID, all the iLife apps showed up as purchased by her. I assume that the first logon to the App Store registers the iLife apps to those credentials.

It is a pretty clever system.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

japtor posted:

I'd guess cause hubs can gently caress up too, I had one for a while before my TM drive starting making GBS threads out. For a long time I thought it was the drive itself but it was only after I was getting problems with a newer drive and flash drive that I finally figured out it was the hub. I had other stuff connected and they worked fine, and even drives were fine when I was just reading from them, but when I started writing they disconnected by themselves.

tl;dr: Try without the hub to cut out any possible hardware issues. Try a new cable even, unlikely to be the culprit but you might as well try if you have other cables laying around.

I've seen this, as well. Thought it was just because I have a cheap no-name enclosure. Definitely try plugging directly into your computer, because I don't have any issues when doing so.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

Petey posted:

In full sequence, on a second try:

Filter the system log for "kernel". Are there any messages containing the text "I/O error" or "hfs"? If so, can you paste those?

quote:

Bad hubs can certainly cause various kinds of issues, but they won't be specific to Time Machine.

edit:

japtor posted:

Try without the hub to cut out any possible hardware issues.

This is useful advice, and you should try it.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I think I don't understand Mac OS X permissions at all. I am trying to set the Info.plist file inside some app to read and execute only, but no matter how I play with them the file gets overwritten when I launch the app. I also tried setting the parent directory's permissions to read only and that didn't work (although the directory's permissions did not get reset, the file inside was overwritten). Is my app somehow getting root? What the gently caress is this? My only other idea is to replace the Info.plist with a symbolic link to something on a partition which is read only (or a device which physically cannot write?!?!) but what a hassle that would be.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Seashell Salesman posted:

I think I don't understand Mac OS X permissions at all. I am trying to set the Info.plist file inside some app to read and execute only, but no matter how I play with them the file gets overwritten when I launch the app. I also tried setting the parent directory's permissions to read only and that didn't work (although the directory's permissions did not get reset, the file inside was overwritten). Is my app somehow getting root? What the gently caress is this? My only other idea is to replace the Info.plist with a symbolic link to something on a partition which is read only (or a device which physically cannot write?!?!) but what a hassle that would be.
What app is this?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Small White Dragon posted:

What app is this?

A game, EVE Online. I don't really have any experience with cider and game ports so this is all quite magical and suicide-inducing.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Ah, a MMO. I'm going to guess it might be its updater reverting permissions.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

crazysim posted:

Ah, a MMO. I'm going to guess it might be its updater reverting permissions.

I (accidentally) lied in my original post- if I turn execute off then the permissions don't get overwritten. All I wanted to do was disable the drat menu bar. Someone else has since told me the only way to do that is hacking Cocoa (eg. with SIMBL).

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Seashell Salesman posted:

I (accidentally) lied in my original post- if I turn execute off then the permissions don't get overwritten. All I wanted to do was disable the drat menu bar. Someone else has since told me the only way to do that is hacking Cocoa (eg. with SIMBL).
Is the execute bit necessary on Info.plist?

Unrelated:
Does VMWare Fusion work fine under Mountain Lion?

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Sonic Dude posted:

That's right up there with "Mini Mac" and "Mac Air Book Pro" - just as grating to my internal monologue as it is to my ears.

I know, I know. :goonsay:

You forgot iTouch.

EDIT: Ooh, ML has changed the way flash works in fullscreen on dual monitors. I can now have a second page open on my second monitor and interact with it while a youtube video is full screen on my primary monitor without the dock and menu bar popping up over the video.

Experto Crede fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jul 12, 2012

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Unrelated:
4.1 does not. Flat out won't let you launch it. Not sure about the later versions....

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Dumb Sharing question:

1. I shared my Mac Mini music folder on the network and made it public
2. I copied MP3s from my laptop into that folder
3. The individual files refuse to run, and copied folders say that I don't have privileges to access them

Everything works fine if I copy it over AirDrop. What did I do wrong?

Edit: I had it shared as Windows SMB, switching to AFP worked fine when copying from my MacBook. But I'd like to be able to copy files from a PC laptop as well. What should I do?

The Macaroni fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 12, 2012

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

The Macaroni posted:

Dumb Sharing question:

1. I shared my Mac Mini music folder on the network and made it public
2. I copied MP3s from my laptop into that folder
3. The individual files refuse to run, and copied folders say that I don't have privileges to access them

Everything works fine if I copy it over AirDrop. What did I do wrong?

Edit: I had it shared as Windows SMB, switching to AFP worked fine when copying from my MacBook. But I'd like to be able to copy files from a PC laptop as well. What should I do?
Permissions! Select the folder that contains the files (make sure it's just a folder of those files - not like your whole Home), choose Get Info, and make sure you're the owner with read/write privileges. Then click the gear and apply those permissions to that folder's contents.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Binary Badger posted:

I've noticed that unless I bought the app from the App Store, I don't get any updates.

But I also notice that on recently installed machines, iPhoto '11 won't update via Software Update and only through App Store, even though the Mac came prepackaged with iPhoto '11.

With my 2012 MBA the AppStore let me load my iLife apps through it and now they're "purchased." I would assume iWork is the same way.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Is the execute bit necessary on Info.plist?

Unrelated:

Version 4.1.3 seems to work fine, just started up my Win7 VM without problems.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009
I'm looking for a way to change the desktop background for all the users using a script, is there an easy way to do that?
Related question: where the hell does OSX store the path to the background? I'm guessing it's in ~/Library somewhere, but nothing's jumping out at me

edit:
Alright I think I found the right file: ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.desktop.plist, but how do I access the values in a .plist file in a human-readable format? Textedit doesn't seem to parse the line breaks correctly.

angrytech fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 12, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

angrytech posted:

I'm looking for a way to change the desktop background for all the users using a script, is there an easy way to do that?
Related question: where the hell does OSX store the path to the background? I'm guessing it's in ~/Library somewhere, but nothing's jumping out at me

edit:
Alright I think I found the right file: ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.desktop.plist, but how do I access the values in a .plist file in a human-readable format? Textedit doesn't seem to parse the line breaks correctly.

It's just XML

There's a million property list editors out there, and there's one included with Xcode (that has the bonus of crashing a lot)

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

jackpot posted:

Macbook Pro, 10.6.8.

When I bring this thing home from work (where I leave it charging all day) and open it up, it's fine. Wakes up in seconds, all's well. But if I then close it up for a while, then open it again, it doesn't want to wake up at all. I press keys, hit the power button, nothing. The keys will be lit up, but after a few minutes they'll go out. When this happens my only alternative is to do a cold restart - and to do that I've gotta hold the power button down for around 15 seconds or more.

The weird thing is, a lot of the time when this happens to me I can see the OS, but it's as if the brightness is turned down to 1% (I don't mean the brightness is at the lowest setting - this is much, much darker than that). I can't see it well enough to do anything, only well enough to know it's there, and so I can tell when I do something like ctrl-1 to change spaces.

It doesn't happen when connected to the charger, but my battery's sitting at 95% so it's not because it's dead. What's going on here?

Hopefully this is the type of thing resetting the SMC would fix. I'd try that before taking it to the Apple store.

I assume your MBP doesn't have a removable battery. If my assumption is correct, do the following:
Shut down the Mac.
Ensure that the Mac is plugged into a power source.
While the Mac is turned off, press and hold the Shift, Control and Option keys, as well as the Power button.
Release all four keys at the same time (note: the Mac should not power on when performing this task).
Press the power button to turn the Mac back on.

It's been awhile since I've done it but if it's done correctly, I believe the battery indicator lights on the side of the machine will flash.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Is there a way to change the default width of columns in column view?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

It's just XML

There's a million property list editors out there,
and there's one included with Xcode
(that has the bonus of crashing a lot)
This should be doable with 'defaults write'.

As root:
code:
/usr/bin/defaults write /Users/username/Library/Preferences/com.apple.desktop Background '{default = {ImageFilePath = "path to file.png"; };}'
Apologies for any tables I broke there. You will have to do that for each user, unless there is a way to hit them all at once. If there is a globally applicable plist, use the path to that instead.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Bob Morales posted:

It's just XML

There's a million property list editors out there, and there's one included with Xcode (that has the bonus of crashing a lot)

PlistEdit Pro is free. I'm no pro but I found it did what it promised. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Debating on whether to install Xcode proper on a new installation or to just install the command line tools. I'd go with just the CLI tools cause I don't need the IDE, but one thing I like about Xcode is that it'll update itself in the App Store. Does the command line tools have an update app or way to update it? In developers.apple.com I just see that they upload a monthly dmg file but that's a really annoying way of updating.