Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Stare-Out posted:

That looks pretty gorgeous. Can't wait to see how much they have to tone it down for us console owners. :allears:

This is going to be the hard part for me too, going back to a console after being so used to GTA4 on the PC. The few times I've gone back to console gta4 since the pc release has always been so disappointing. At least I know I'll be impressed by the size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Olde Weird Tip posted:

ROCKSTAR GIVE US BULLY 2 DAMMIT
:hellyeah: I want to push children down the stairs with Euphoria physics. Actually I found the world and story quite charming.

How long will the console to PC release gap be this time though? Hopefully with the way MP3 runs it won't be chuggy as all gently caress.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Olde Weird Tip posted:

ROCKSTAR GIVE US BULLY 2 DAMMIT

Me too. I 100%'d that game twice.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Croccers posted:

How long will the console to PC release gap be this time though? Hopefully with the way MP3 runs it won't be chuggy as all gently caress.

Max Payne 3 also didn't have a giant world map to consider, but it certainly gives me hope that the PC port will be fine. Those screenshots look fantastic.

CommonSensei
Apr 3, 2011

Croccers posted:

:hellyeah: I want to push children down the stairs with Euphoria physics. Actually I found the world and story quite charming.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think it was the first Rockstar game that had a soundtrack for things like walking around (which was my favorite tune), riding your bike, specific story missions, different themes when you got into fights with the various cliques, etc. as opposed to a radio. I thought it worked really well and enjoyed it.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

CommonSensei posted:

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think it was the first Rockstar game that had a soundtrack for things like walking around (which was my favorite tune), riding your bike, specific story missions, different themes when you got into fights with the various cliques, etc. as opposed to a radio. I thought it worked really well and enjoyed it.

Yeah, I really like incidental music in games and it's always disappointing that GTA doesn't really have any, apart from the occasional diegesis in cutscenes. I'd like to hear some kind of tense, pumping beat during a shootout with the cops.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

With the addition of the cell phone in GTAIV, I can't see why Rockstar couldn't add an MP3 player, it's such an obvious thing to put into a game like that. Custom soundtracks as an option of course. I know they've said they like the player to able to hear the ambiance on the streets and whatnot, but make it an item you can really afford to buy like 2/3 into the game or something.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

Stare-Out posted:

With the addition of the cell phone in GTAIV, I can't see why Rockstar couldn't add an MP3 player, it's such an obvious thing to put into a game like that. Custom soundtracks as an option of course. I know they've said they like the player to able to hear the ambiance on the streets and whatnot, but make it an item you can really afford to buy like 2/3 into the game or something.

Hell, just do the GTA4 thing where partway through the game you're given a better, more capable phone, and this time integrate a music player.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
It's obviously a style choice at this point. It's something that's been asked for and wouldn't be a problem to implement. They want music tied to driving and incidental sources on the street for some reason.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Stare-Out posted:

Yeah I don't see why I'd bother getting that in game when my 360 and my PC can already do it.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Knightmare posted:

That's not the Golden Gate Bridge way off in the distance of the first screenshot, is it? I don't remember Los Santos having a bridge like that.

Well aside from looking nothing like San Francisco, no, that looks like the bridge that went over to the port in LS, which I assume is based on something real.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Cliff Racer posted:

Well aside from looking nothing like San Francisco, no, that looks like the bridge that went over to the port in LS, which I assume is based on something real.
Yep, that one was based on the Vincent Thomas Bridge which connects the mainland to Terminal Island which is mostly port complexes

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Cliff Racer posted:

Too bad, I already said San Fierro was confirmed.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Knightmare posted:

Too bad, I already said San Fierro was confirmed.

You've still got some hoops to jump through before we can put the true confirm stamp on you.

1) Do you have any nephews?
2) Do you work at any game companies?
2a) If they answer to question 2 is no, is the nephew in question young enough to still believe you when you lie to them?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I can see a crane in the background of that first shot. The only logical conclusion is that there'll be a tower development mini-game based on last year's iOS Game Of The Year, Tiny Tower.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Actually, music licenses are more expensive when the songs can be accessed on demand. If the implement an mp3 type feature, it is more likely to just be radio on your phone.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I seem to remember them saying they did have Niko carrying around a portable MP3 player at one point, but they scrapped it for some reason I can't remember.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It would take away a lot of the atmosphere if you had music playing whilst on foot, you'd miss out on all the pedestrian dialogue and hear none of the city sounds. Also the soundtrack would need to be exponentially larger because the songs would start grating way sooner if they kept the same number of tracks but greatly increased in-game exposure to them.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
This thread is making me want to play SA AGAIN! I remember last time I tried, my STEAM version was constantly crashing. I tried a few tweaks (downgrading, frame limiter on (yuck) but nothing worked.

That was a few video-card drivers ago but I'll ask anyway - Anyone else had problems with SA on steam on Win 7 (ATI HD6970?)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

webmeister posted:

I seem to remember them saying they did have Niko carrying around a portable MP3 player at one point, but they scrapped it for some reason I can't remember.

There were issues with streaming the music for both the headset and passing cars at the same time iirc.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

simosimo posted:

This thread is making me want to play SA AGAIN! I remember last time I tried, my STEAM version was constantly crashing. I tried a few tweaks (downgrading, frame limiter on (yuck) but nothing worked.

That was a few video-card drivers ago but I'll ask anyway - Anyone else had problems with SA on steam on Win 7 (ATI HD6970?)

I'm pretty sure San Andreas is one of the games where the copy protection makes it crash on newer OSs. I know that with a crack and XP compatibility mode it's stable on my system. Disabling the steam overlay is also probably a good idea.

Vice City is giving me fits, though. It crashes very reliably on interior transitions after doing a certain random series of actions. I've thought it was a series of things but now I've got steps to recreate the crash nailed down and I can't seem to stop it from happening. Has anyone had this issue and do you remember how you fixed it?

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

K8.0 posted:

I'm pretty sure San Andreas is one of the games where the copy protection makes it crash on newer OSs. I know that with a crack and XP compatibility mode it's stable on my system. Disabling the steam overlay is also probably a good idea.

The Steam version works fine.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
I just bought GTA4 and I'm really enjoying it, except for the minigames. When I take someone to eg. bowling can I just take them there, start the activity and then leave instantly or does that actually piss them off?

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Zilkin posted:

I just bought GTA4 and I'm really enjoying it, except for the minigames. When I take someone to eg. bowling can I just take them there, start the activity and then leave instantly or does that actually piss them off?

When someone calls you for a minigame, accept, then call them again to cancel. This way you don't lose any reputation, and you don't even have to start any annoying minigame.

Kannen
Apr 24, 2007

make this page more CAW CAW!!

Zilkin posted:

Hey your cousin is letting you stay in his apartment FOR FREE so the least you could do is go bowling with the motherfucker. :colbert:

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Zedicus Mann posted:

The Steam version works fine.

Does not :colbert:

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

simosimo posted:

Just remembered another thing, adding the game as a DEP exception may help.

e - I've nailed down some of my Vice City problem. Basically, if you have the frame limiter off the game has massive physics issues, most notably cars only creep backward in reverse. If it's on, the game crashes when I zone under certain conditions. I can probably avoid it by toggling the frame limiter constantly but that's a huge pain in the rear end and I'm looking for a better solution.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 14, 2012

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Well it works fine for me.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Holy moly, IV with a first person mod and decent ENB settings is pretty incredible. Its like an entirely different game. I walked up the stairs in one of the bridge towers (something I never knew existed until seeing everything at eye level) at night and was just agape the whole time. Seeing everything from that lower viewpoint makes such a great difference.

Driving isn't even that difficult, and the seamless transition getting into and out of cars is great eye candy. Now I need to find a good car interior texture upgrade.

LARRY JEW
Jan 7, 2010

Mopey Dick
I watched a video or two on the first person mod for 4 and it looked like an entirely new game. The city looked so much more alive. Are you going to keep playing the game that way?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Mike Tysons CARFAX posted:

I watched a video or two on the first person mod for 4 and it looked like an entirely new game. The city looked so much more alive. Are you going to keep playing the game that way?

I've beaten the base game about 4 times already and this is making it interesting again, so I think so. It has some quirks (it removes the head from the PC, so some mid-mission cinematic scenes, like jumping between buildings, show a headless Niko in 3rd person for a few seconds), but overall it feels like it belongs.

Also the ENB settings are crazy blown out in cutscenes, I don't know what that's about. Like, I can barely see what's going on there's so much bloom/overexposure. That never happens in regular play, though.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Chikimiki posted:

When someone calls you for a minigame, accept, then call them again to cancel. This way you don't lose any reputation, and you don't even have to start any annoying minigame.

If you keep doing that to a person, you'll eventually take a reputation hit from that person after 3 or so cancelled minigames in a row. You'll know when you get a text message from the person out of the blue where they whine about you not doing stuff with them. It's not a problem if you don't give a poo poo about most of the friends, but if you're trying to build up reputation for someone like Little Jacob to get their special ability, it's annoying.

machinegunmessiah
Jul 16, 2012

closeted republican posted:

If you keep doing that to a person, you'll eventually take a reputation hit from that person after 3 or so cancelled minigames in a row. You'll know when you get a text message from the person out of the blue where they whine about you not doing stuff with them. It's not a problem if you don't give a poo poo about most of the friends, but if you're trying to build up reputation for someone like Little Jacob to get their special ability, it's annoying.

Plus, how could you resist the force of "Cousin, it is your cousin. Wanna go bowling?"

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

machinegunmessiah posted:

Plus, how could you resist the force of "Cousin, it is your cousin. Wanna go bowling?"

There was a mission in the game where you steal a chopper and get a call from YOUR KUHZIN while airborne, however Niko yells at him that he can't go bowling since he's in a drat chopper; after briefly wondering if the game got self-aware, I realized that this is scripted and I'll never be able to yell at a phone caller myself. Oh the irony!

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."

Chikimiki posted:

There was a mission in the game where you steal a chopper and get a call from YOUR KUHZIN while airborne, however Niko yells at him that he can't go bowling since he's in a drat chopper; after briefly wondering if the game got self-aware, I realized that this is scripted and I'll never be able to yell at a phone caller myself. Oh the irony!

It's even better. It was Roman asking you to go meet him in a strip club. After you yell at him, he tells you that you'll regret not going. Then some minutes pass and he sends you a picture of a stripper's rear end.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The phone calls weren't that annoying, they were an occasional inconvenience if you used the silent feature on your phone when you didn't want to be bothered. It was annoying how when you did a mission silent would be turned off though.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
The only person worth hanging out with was Jacob :colbert:

Jacob & Badman DLC would've been nice, oh well.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Dwayne was depressing but his back-up is generally amusing to call in. Under-used feature there.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Never rampage without em'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

That reminds me, along with the idiotic idea of a game mechanic designed to replicate the most annoying thing in life, hopefully they get rid of the idea of choices in GTA5. It's such a bad idea in a GTA game. A big part of the long-term draw is acquiring everything, and you can't do that if the game forces you to choose between things.

• Locked thread