Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
So I'm kind of confused here. I ordered one the first day it was available, a 16GB with the case. Final total was something like $302. So I looked at my checking account, and it had taken the $302 out (or so I thought). I assumed Google had put a hold on the money so I thought nothing of it, it even had a little entry in the online banking record. Well, today I didn't receive a shipping confirmation.. and I could not find a record anywhere of them actually taking that $302 out now. I'm kind of freaking out because I'll be really mad if my order got cancelled because I didn't have the $302 sitting in my account.. and also.. where the hell did that original $302 go to?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It's called an authorization. Lots of times they will try to authorize your card for $1 or the total value before sending it out. This is so they can know that you have a valid card or the appropriate funds.

bull3964 posted:

That would be nice if it were the case, but so far no one has any evidence of it.

Yeah this whole situation is starting to get really annoying. Now we know stores actually have them on hand and were going to sell them but were stopped from doing so. Meanwhile anyone who pre-ordered from the G.Play store is just sitting around with their thumbs up their asses.

averox fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 12, 2012

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Chas McGill posted:

I've never had these problems with the Royal Mail, but whenever I buy something that's shipping with City Link/DHL/Fedex/DPD or whatever, I have the exact same bullshit problems that you lot just described. Privatisation seems to encourage poor service, rather than the other way round.

I have had exactly the opposite experience, royal mail are a streaming pile of neglectful poo poo, my current favorite was the recorded delivery, must be signed-for laptop - I was left a torn corner - approximately a fifth - of the 'you were out' ticket with the words 'green box' badly scrawled on it.

What green box? Did you mean the massive green recycling wheely bin at the front of my property? The one that was full of cardboard, plastic & tins to be recycled? The one that was emptied today?

Thanks.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Have they ever launched a product smoothly? I mean really.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!

averox posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It's called an authorization. Lots of times they will try to authorize your card for $1 or the total value before sending it out. This is so they can know that you have a valid card or the appropriate funds.

Well I guess that makes sense. Now I'm just wondering if me not having the $302 in my account last night is going to auto-cancel my order. I wish they'd answer their drat phones.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Have they ever launched a product smoothly? I mean really.
If it's like other Google launches the Nexus 7 will be in beta for 30 months

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Syrinxx posted:

If it's like other Google launches the Nexus 7 will be in beta for 30 months

And won't actually ship until August. And when it does, half of you will have some sort of defect that, under typical circumstances, would necessitate a warranty replacement. Guess I'll just head over to the Google Store.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
I just received an email from UPS My Choice stating they have a package to my address from GOOGLE ANDROID CO UPS-SCS scheduled to be delivered tomorrow.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Siroc posted:

I just received an email from UPS My Choice stating they have a package to my address from GOOGLE ANDROID CO UPS-SCS scheduled to be delivered tomorrow.

Was your CC charged?

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

IT Guy posted:

Was your CC charged?

It was right after I ordered it, but it has now dropped off. No new pending charges since I received that UPS email.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Siroc posted:

It was right after I ordered it, but it has now dropped off. No new pending charges since I received that UPS email.

Weird, everyone else has pending charges. I've had a pending charge since the 29th.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

IT Guy posted:

Weird, everyone else has pending charges. I've had a pending charge since the 29th.

I saw quite a few people on Phandroid/AndroidCentral/XDA that had their charges dropped. I'm sure they'll recharge me soon. But if they don't... shhh.

Looks like they are shipping out, gentlegoons.

Edit: If you're on 18th Street in Manhattan, go to Adorama and get one now: http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/12/3154733/nexus-7-availability

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Ziji posted:

Well I guess that makes sense. Now I'm just wondering if me not having the $302 in my account last night is going to auto-cancel my order. I wish they'd answer their drat phones.

Places put an authorization charge on cards when you do an order, which then typically falls off after a day or two. The actual charge won't happen until they ship, so if you don't have the money when they ship, you'll probably get a notice that they had trouble charging your account and for you to do something to fix it, such as add money or change the payment method.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
Yeah I got off the phone with them not too long ago. They haven't even tried to charge me yet, so it all worked out. Guy claims they shipped it out or something though, but the label for me hasn't been created yet. So fingers crossed I get an email soon!

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Siroc posted:

Edit: If you're on 18th Street in Manhattan, go to Adorama and get one now: http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/12/3154733/nexus-7-availability

I'm a huge nerdhole and work near there, so I skipped by. The salesman said that they accidentally let one guy get off with one, but that they can't sell until Sunday morning. So looks like Sunday's the day!

edit:
Haha, reading The Verge, apparently Google called adorama and told them to halt sales. That's an intimidating phone call to get!

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Polo-Rican posted:

I'm a huge nerdhole and work near there, so I skipped by. The salesman said that they accidentally let one guy get off with one, but that they can't sell until Sunday morning. So looks like Sunday's the day!

Hopefully they get all preordered Play Store orders out the door before retailers can sell. Anything less and Google will have (more) angry nerd rage directed towards them.

The Verge says Google contacted that store: http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/12/3154733/nexus-7-availability

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

edit: nevermind

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 12, 2012

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://omgdroid.com/amazon-to-sell-nexus-7/

It looks like Amazon might decide to sell the Nexus 7.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Nexu 7 8GB ordered on the 2nd, no shipping notification for me as of right now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It seems that people who have UPS My Choice are getting notifications as the orders enter UPS systems. Google, though, appears to be holding off the shipping notification emails until some later time. They'll probably batch them out tonight.

So, it's entirely possible the thing has aready shipped if you pre-ordered early. However, you won't know for a little while.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
The XDA thread on this is killing me. While its great to get rapid updates, the thing has grown over 2000 posts in the past few hours. Its all guys wanting shipping updates? and what happens when someone posts a screenshot of his shipping confirmation? He is accused of faking it and then is forgotten.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Yes I'd really appreciate it if we could not fill the thread up with Nexus 7 shipping updates so that my post about when my Transformer Infinity ships isn't lost.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
XDA is a cesspool. SNR is total poo poo.

This thread is much better or stick to Reddit posts where the useful information gets voted to the top. Value your time.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Syrinxx posted:

Yes I'd really appreciate it if we could not fill the thread up with Nexus 7 shipping updates so that my post about when my Transformer Infinity ships isn't lost.

Can we complain about paying $13 for shipping because we didn't know it would be sold in B&M stores (presumably) near the same time it's launched?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Geno posted:

Can we complain about paying $13 for shipping because we didn't know it would be sold in B&M stores (presumably) near the same time it's launched?

Ha. Well, when spending $200, if $13 breaks the bank maybe you shouldn't be spending the $200.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Ha. Well, when spending $200, if $13 breaks the bank maybe you shouldn't be spending the $200.

Yeah but that's $13 I coulda spent at GOOGLE PLAY

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Geno posted:

In my state it would be about $23 of tax so if you bought it from an online retailer and paid $13 shipping you still save :10bux:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Never had a problem with both FedEx and UPS. Guess not everyone who works there is lovely after all.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Geno posted:

Yeah but that's $13 I coulda spent at GOOGLE PLAY

Well you did get $25 of Google Play Money that doesn't come with the B&M version, as far as I know.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Syrinxx posted:

In my state it would be about $23 of tax so if you bought it from an online retailer and paid $13 shipping you still save :10bux:

Play Store charges tax.

Tunga posted:

Well you did get $25 of Google Play Money that doesn't come with the B&M version, as far as I know.

From what I've read, you get the $25 Play Credit regardless from where you order it from.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 13, 2012

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I have a pending transaction for mine, it appears that's the same for everyone?

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

No matter how stupid I think people on SA get, places like XDA give me perspective.

Kerm
Jun 17, 2003

VIDEO GAME RINGTONES

Tunga posted:

I pre-ordered from gamestop and I got the $25 of google play money, so some of them definitely have it.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Kerm posted:

I pre-ordered from gamestop and I got the $25 of google play money, so some of them definitely have it.

Yeah, the Staples version shows the $25 but it looks like they just c/p the Nexus 7 website.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Has anyone's Google Play transaction actually been updated with a shipping number yet? Mine certainly hasnt.

EDIT: I did see the screenshot on xda, but otherwise none...

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Put the EOS Stingwray JB rom on my Xoom... Gotta say I can't say it was like night and day, but it was a definite improvement. They still have some work to do to get it to iOS levels of responsiveness.

Bonxai
May 2, 2011

Syrinxx posted:

Are there pre-orders for those up anywhere? The Transformer Infinity I mean.

marxmanncc
Jul 13, 2012
I like android but I did not like the limited market that was placed on the kindle fire. Amazon crapped on a decent platform with that plus you can't use it while it charges

marxmanncc
Jul 13, 2012
Sorry miss posted really go to stop posting and sleeping they don't mix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpatine MD
Jan 31, 2012

Passionate about your involuntary euthanasia.
I'm pretty sure I'll be getting my fiance and me a Nexus 7 for general use around the house. Noob question: how easy is it to use an Android tablet as shared device with multiple Google/Facebook/etc accounts?