Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

carry on then posted:

No, a 13" Retina would be 2560x1600. Might even come with discrete graphics since there'd be no optical drive.
My point was that the features that differentiate the pro and air lines (the optical drive, more HDD space, better screen) would all be blended together into what is essentially a super 13in MacBook Air. The pro might be slightly higher speced and more expensive, but IMO the use cases are pretty much the same at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It will probably be like when Apple had both Macbooks and Macbook Pros. The only real difference was that one had discrete graphics.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
No 13" MBP has ever had discrete graphics.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

frumpsnake posted:

No 13" MBP has ever had discrete graphics.

Then I must have dreamed up the Nvidia 320M in the 13" Macbook Pro (Mid 2010) of my sister ;)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
320M is integrated into the northbridge.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Decius posted:

Then I must have dreamed up the Nvidia 320M in the 13" Macbook Pro (Mid 2010) of my sister ;)

The 320M is an integrated GPU built into the motherboard chipset just like the GeForce 9400M before it and the Intel HD3000 after it. The non-Pro White Unibody Macbook had the exact same 320M.

The 13" MBPs up until 2011 used an NVIDIA PCH/chipset, not an Intel one. This is why the 2010 13" only had Core 2 Duos while the 15" and 17" had i5s, because NVIDIA weren't licensed to make chipsets that supported newer CPUs, pre-Sandy Intel integrated sucked, and there's simply no room to add a discrete GPU like in the 15".

Considering Apple have never shipped a 13" portable with a discrete GPU, I don't see them starting now in a design with even *less* space.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jul 12, 2012

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Binary Badger posted:

Apple sells several levels of AppleCare, all listed right here:

http://www.apple.com/support/products/mac.html

If you click on "Buy Now" for the Retina or the non-retina MBP, you'll see the part number for AppleCare for either machine is exactly the same.
Thanks! Super useful.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

frumpsnake posted:

The 320M is an integrated GPU built into the motherboard chipset just like the GeForce 9400M before it and the Intel HD3000 after it. The non-Pro White Unibody Macbook had the exact same 320M.

The 13" MBPs up until 2011 used an NVIDIA PCH/chipset, not an Intel one. This is why the 2010 13" only had Core 2 Duos while the 15" and 17" had i5s, because NVIDIA weren't licensed to make chipsets that supported newer CPUs, pre-Sandy Intel integrated sucked, and there's simply no room to add a discrete GPU like in the 15".

Considering Apple have never shipped a 13" portable with a discrete GPU, I don't see them starting now in a design with even *less* space.

Different internals. No optical drive and tiny flash chips for storage makes a big difference. They're more likely to stuff it with batteries, but still, expect them to reappropriate much of the space from the previous design.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
The 12" PB (RIP) had a discrete GPU as well so it's not beyond the realm of reason for Apple to fit a third chip into a small laptop.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Pretty sure my old iBook g4 even had discrete video as well.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
There's the Mac mini which generally had the same specs as the 13" (when they bothered updating), up until last year when it got the separate quad CPU and discrete GPU models.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Got a call 2 hours ago that the new shipment of Airs is in the store. Told them to hold it and picked it up an hour later - got the last one.

This machine...

MY GOD!

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

~Coxy posted:

The 12" PB (RIP) had a discrete GPU as well so it's not beyond the realm of reason for Apple to fit a third chip into a small laptop.

So did the iBook, that's not the point.

Space doesn't just include physical space but also the battery requirements needed to power everything as well as cooling and TDP requirements. The iBook/PowerBook didn't have to dissipate 80 watts of CPU+GPU heat nor did it require the 20% extra battery the 13" Pro requires (with no GPU) compared to the old 12" PB G4.

The Macbook Air is already about the lowest battery runtime Apple are willing to ship (although moreso on the 11), and that's using lower-clocked low power 17W CPUs as opposed to the 45W CPU in the MBPs, without powering a discrete GPU (another 35W), and powering a non-Retina screen (which on the 15" rMBP involved adding over 22% more battery).

Anyone wanting a 13" Pro isn't going to want to go backwards to the 17W CPUs which would mean even less differentiation between the MBA and the MBP, meaning a hypothetical 13" rMBP really couldn't be much smaller, as opposed to the 15"'s thinner design. Could Apple release such a product? Sure.

But managing to increase battery capacity for a combination of Pro-calibre CPUs, the retina display itself, and a GPU (which is a likely requirement for decent performance in Pro apps at 2560x1600 or 2880x1800) inside a smaller 13" enclosure sounds pretty tough, even for Apple. A thinner 13" MBP would likely be nothing more than a Retina screen bolted onto an Air, to the point where they might as well remove the 13" MBP entirely, sell it as an Retina Air, and 'upgrade' both products at once by combining them.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 12, 2012

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

~Coxy posted:

I think everything was "discrete" back then... and they weren't doing any favors with the Go5200 in the 12" PB, that card was terrible even in 2003, by 2006 it was a running joke, definitely worse off at the time then any Intel HD-equipped Mac ever was/is. IIRC it just barely eked by in UT2004 and WoW, and both Quake 4 and Civ 4 were unplayable on any settings.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
Slightly off-topic, but is the Refurb store completely empty for everyone else? It's been empty for days from what I've seen.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's well stocked. At least 30 on there.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Mu Zeta posted:

It's well stocked. At least 30 on there.

Well that's weird.

Same results w/ an incognito browser in chrome, and in IE

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

It's completely empty for me right now.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Strange. Wasn't Apple having online issues the past week? That could be it.

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.
I have an early 2011 MacBook Pro (15") and I just noticed a tiny pinhole sized green light coming through the F1 Button (the "bottom" side of the button - like the "wall" of the button that is closest to the 1 key).

What is this?!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Beats me, the closest component to that area is the combo Airport / Bluetooth card which shouldn't have any lights on it. Maybe one of the backlighting LEDs?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

NOTinuyasha posted:

I think everything was "discrete" back then... and they weren't doing any favors with the Go5200 in the 12" PB, that card was terrible even in 2003, by 2006 it was a running joke, definitely worse off at the time then any Intel HD-equipped Mac ever was/is. IIRC it just barely eked by in UT2004 and WoW, and both Quake 4 and Civ 4 were unplayable on any settings.

The FX5000 series was I think, by far, the worst nvidia graphics generation ever, desktop or mobile.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
I've got a macbook pro 13 that's acting up. The internal hard drive isn't being recognized but I can still boot from firewire and usb even with the hard drive that was previously installed internally. I've tried resetting the PRAM and swapping harddrives to no avail. Is there anything else I could try before my genius bar appointment Monday.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Find a used hard drive cable, that was my issue.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

MrBond posted:

The FX5000 series was I think, by far, the worst nvidia graphics generation ever, desktop or mobile.

I had an FX5200 in my desktop that fried during a video game binge, but I don't think it was that bad until then. The underclocked mobile version (complete with gimped memory, nice touch for a $1500 laptop) was terrible though.

They really need to get over it and just start building Cinema Displays with graphics cards built in, powered by Thunderbolt. I'd dump my MBP for an Air and buy that poo poo in a second if it ever came true.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
I have a new Macbook Air, and I want to pass audio and video from it to my TV.

Has anyone used this cable? http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10246&cs_id=1024603&p_id=5997&seq=1&format=2

According to the description, it won't pass audio. But according to the reviews, it does with newer Apple products.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Pissingintowind posted:

Has anyone used this cable? http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...&seq=1&format=2

According to the description, it won't pass audio. But according to the reviews, it does with newer Apple products.

This link should help you out. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4241

If anyone has one of the older ones they can always get this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=6331&seq=1&format=2

echobucket fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 12, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

NOTinuyasha posted:

They really need to get over it and just start building Cinema Displays with graphics cards built in, powered by Thunderbolt. I'd dump my MBP for an Air and buy that poo poo in a second if it ever came true.

Sure, let's have Apple jack the price up of the Cinema display by another $300 and get a 3-generations behind graphics card in there

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Pissingintowind posted:

Won't Apple TV + Mountain Lion airplay mirroring do this? I was under the impression that the TV would mirror the audio+video once this is all set up.

(obviously this is a far more expensive option, I'm just curious for my own setup)

bulbous nub
Jul 29, 2007

It's ok; I'm taking it back.
Lipstick Apathy

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Won't Apple TV + Mountain Lion airplay mirroring do this? I was under the impression that the TV would mirror the audio+video once this is all set up.

(obviously this is a far more expensive option, I'm just curious for my own setup)

Yes, this is correct. I've been playing with it on the GM for the past couple of days and it works well albeit with a little delay. If you've done AirPlay mirroring from an iPad or iPhone, it's the same basic concept.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

bulbous nub posted:

Yes, this is correct. I've been playing with it on the GM for the past couple of days and it works well albeit with a little delay. If you've done AirPlay mirroring from an iPad or iPhone, it's the same basic concept.

How does it work if the tv and source are different resolutions? It pisses me off that there's big black bars on my tv when I'm mirroring from the iPad. Also, what do you mean by delay? Would it work to play a movie from my Air to the TV? I'll take it gaming is totally out of the question of course.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

NOTinuyasha posted:

I had an FX5200 in my desktop that fried during a video game binge, but I don't think it was that bad until then. The underclocked mobile version (complete with gimped memory, nice touch for a $1500 laptop) was terrible though.

They need to start building them with a PCI-Express slot (or a TB adapter), not with built in graphics cards because they're going to be way overpriced and limited.

Too bad it wont happen.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I'm sure it will, but I don't want an Apple TV :)

Thanks to the other guy for the link!

edit: actually, the link isn't that useful... It's basically Apple hawking their overpriced Apple approved versions. I'll be damned if I'm going to pay $35+ for a pinout converter.

Pissingintowind fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 12, 2012

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

clockworx posted:

Slightly off-topic, but is the Refurb store completely empty for everyone else? It's been empty for days from what I've seen.
Supposedly the Refurb store has been acting wonky for a few days now.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Pissingintowind posted:

I'm sure it will, but I don't want an Apple TV :)

Thanks to the other guy for the link!

edit: actually, the link isn't that useful... It's basically Apple hawking their overpriced Apple approved versions. I'll be damned if I'm going to pay $35+ for a pinout converter.

The link is mostly for checking whether your Mac can do audio over DP. I have a no-name cable I got from eBay for £7 and that works just fine.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Small White Dragon posted:

Supposedly the Refurb store has been acting wonky for a few days now.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/12/apples-online-refurb-store-outage-reaches-third-day/

Sporadic outages the last three days.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Pissingintowind posted:

Has anyone used this cable? http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10246&cs_id=1024603&p_id=5997&seq=1&format=2

I use this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5311&seq=1&format=2

And it works with my mid-2011 MBA.

bulbous nub
Jul 29, 2007

It's ok; I'm taking it back.
Lipstick Apathy

chupacabraTERROR posted:

How does it work if the tv and source are different resolutions? It pisses me off that there's big black bars on my tv when I'm mirroring from the iPad. Also, what do you mean by delay? Would it work to play a movie from my Air to the TV? I'll take it gaming is totally out of the question of course.

My monitor is a old 4:3 LCD that runs at 1600x1200. Whenever I do airplay mirroring to my TV, it gives me the option to pick how I want it displayed, either best for the Mac or best for AirPlay.

I have mine set to Best for AirPlay with an ATV2 and it runs at 720p, where it takes up the full screen on my TV and then has black bars on the monitor. I just turned it to the same settings on my Late 2011 MBP (1440x900) and it actually put black bars on the top and bottom of the monitor and has a black border around the screen on my TV.

The lag is small, but noticeable. Say I move my mouse, it takes about a second, maybe a little less, for the movement to show on my TV. Movie playback is just fine, I've been using it to stream YouTube videos from my Mini with no problems for the past couple of days. Gaming, yeah, it's unplayable.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Cool man, thanks for the details! I'm looking forward to ML :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
I'm starting grad school in September and am thinking about buying my first laptop in...a long time.

At home, I've been using a 2007 black plastic Intel Core Duo 2.2 GHz Macbook which I upgraded to 4 GB of RAM and 320 GB internal. It's slow, but all I need it for at home is a web machine anyway 99% of the time.

For work, I've been using a topline (in 2009, anyway) 15" Macbook Pro. Partially because of its better specs, and partially because of the convenience of not lugging my heavy old Macbook around, I've been using that as my primary machine even on personal travel.

I have to give my work machine back while I go on leave for grad school, though. I don't really want to lug my heavy, slow, dead battery Macbook around for a year.

I'm torn though. Part of me wants to just get a cheap, portable 13" Air, not build it all the way out, live on it for a year, and then figure out what to do afterwards (if I return to my old job, they'll buy me a new rMBP, and I could even get an iMac for home). But I also don't want to sink $1000+ into a machine that I know is not very good, and I have almost 280 GB that I'd like to keep on my "personal" machine and don't want to worry about fitting onto an Air's HD.

Part of me wants to really trick out a 15" rMBP (or wait until September for a 13" rMBP) and make that my machine for the next 4-5 years, but I'm hesitant to do that because I know the first generation of any model usually has some bugs as some people have pointed out here, plus that would be crazy expensive and not the sort of cash I exactly have laying about.

I know this isn't a coherent question exactly, but if anyone could help me think about how to think about these things, I'd appreciate it!