Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Tedronai66 posted:

Those are both 16:10 :colbert:

I am aware of that :( But 4:3 is impossible to find now, so it's the best you can reasonably do.

Coincidentally, I just replaced my two 7 year old 1600x1200 monitors, with a 27" Crossover. Holy crap, wow, it looks drat good. Unfortunately, I am getting a bit of high pitched electrical whine from it; has anyone else encountered that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Zhentar posted:

More important than the monitor size, try to avoid 16:9 (e.g. get 1680x1050 or 1920x1200). Using two very wide monitors can be kind of ridiculous, since you usually need more vertical space than horizontal space.

Why would having a 16:9 matter versus a 16:10? I was looking at the u2312hm and the u2412 specifically, and since I'll be getting at least 2 of them I want to know why you say this.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Ramadu posted:

Why would having a 16:9 matter versus a 16:10? I was looking at the u2312hm and the u2412 specifically, and since I'll be getting at least 2 of them I want to know why you say this.

They'll be slightly more wide than they are tall so he's suggesting that two 1.6:1 would take up less horizontal room on your desk than two 1.77:1 monitors. If you don't care about that, then don't worry about it.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I don't think he was talking about the physical space at all. Rather, he was saying that most activities on the computer benefit from having more vertical screen space, so go for 16:10 if you can (and if you don't mind black bars on 16:9 content)

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I've been using a 16:10 dell monitor that is like, 7 years old at this point. I was told the direct update to it is the u2412 but thats nearly 300 dollars and I haven't seen any sales or signs of it going below about 270ish since I began watching them back in march.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

ColHannibal posted:

I have a 24in Samsung and I love it, but I think I want to go bigger. Realistically how much am I going to spend for a monitor for gaming. I have the horsepower in the form of a GTX 580 to drive whatever I want at the crazy high resolution so I will see the benefit.

Also how many games support the super high resolution? I assume its kinda a non standard market.

I've had a 30" dell since 2008 or so, and I've never run in to any game that won't run at 2560*1600, outside of really old stuff from 2000-ish and earlier. For anything that won't run at native res, thanks to GPU scaling stuff still looks pretty good.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Is there such a beast as a monitor over 1080P with 120 Hz refresh rate? I cant seem to find anything.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
There's some korean monitors with 2560x1440 resolution that can do it:

http://120hz.net/content.php?119-Yamakasi-Catleap-Q270-Sale-Information!

They're kinda tricky to get a hold of tho, since they're pretty spare, and expensive.

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

The fierce urgency of now
I'm very interest in the Catleap but I'm curious what Macbook Air owners do. Most of them are dual-link DVI, which for the air requires an expensive adapter that uses both the thunderbolt port AND the USB port next to it, and doesn't pass USB through leaving you stuck with just a single USB port.

This seems like kind of a pain in the rear end, especially given that there is only one thunderbolt hub on the market and its $300.

Any suggestions? The only good solution might be the Apple monitor with all of the ports built in

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

bacon! posted:

I'm very interest in the Catleap but I'm curious what Macbook Air owners do. Most of them are dual-link DVI, which for the air requires an expensive adapter that uses both the thunderbolt port AND the USB port next to it, and doesn't pass USB through leaving you stuck with just a single USB port.

This seems like kind of a pain in the rear end, especially given that there is only one thunderbolt hub on the market and its $300.

Any suggestions? The only good solution might be the Apple monitor with all of the ports built in

Apple's MO is "it Just Works so long as you buy everything from us." If you're willing to deal with the price premium, the Thunderbolt Display is a great way to go.

If you want a cheap Korean monitor, there are more expensive monitors that take DisplayPort input. Since Thunderbolt is compatible with Mini DipslayPort on the output side, you could skip the adapter. The Crossover 2720MDP and whatever they're selling at Microcenter both take DisplayPort and HDMI input; you'll pay significantly more than a standard barebones DVI-only model, but it'll work with a single cable.

Also, you should know that on every DP-to-DVI adapter I've run across, the USB connection is only there for extra power beyond what DisplayPort can supply. You should be OK connecting the USB cord to a powered hub, phone charger, or other source of USB power; it doesn't need to go directly to the computer.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

DarkJC posted:

I don't think he was talking about the physical space at all. Rather, he was saying that most activities on the computer benefit from having more vertical screen space, so go for 16:10 if you can (and if you don't mind black bars on 16:9 content)

That, and field of view. Wider displays make it harder to effectively use both displays. It's also more awkward if you want to put one of them in portrait mode.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Biggest human being Ever posted:

There's some korean monitors with 2560x1440 resolution that can do it:

http://120hz.net/content.php?119-Yamakasi-Catleap-Q270-Sale-Information!

They're kinda tricky to get a hold of tho, since they're pretty spare, and expensive.

Jeez, I don't see a point in upgrading then from my 24in.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

ColHannibal posted:

Jeez, I don't see a point in upgrading then from my 24in.
Well, it's 3" larger, a poo poo-ton more pixels, and a pretty nice IPS to begin with, but if none of those entice you, then yeah, might as well stay with what you've got.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
2560x1440 is 60% more pixels than 1920x1200.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

DrDork posted:

Well, it's 3" larger, a poo poo-ton more pixels, and a pretty nice IPS to begin with, but if none of those entice you, then yeah, might as well stay with what you've got.

Ive got a 1080p Samsung with 120hz. I have most my stuff limited to 120fps, wouldn't I see a problem when dropping to 60hz as I max out that 120 on some things?

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

Space Gopher posted:

Apple's MO is "it Just Works so long as you buy everything from us." If you're willing to deal with the price premium, the Thunderbolt Display is a great way to go.

If you want a cheap Korean monitor, there are more expensive monitors that take DisplayPort input. Since Thunderbolt is compatible with Mini DipslayPort on the output side, you could skip the adapter. The Crossover 2720MDP and whatever they're selling at Microcenter both take DisplayPort and HDMI input; you'll pay significantly more than a standard barebones DVI-only model, but it'll work with a single cable.

Also, you should know that on every DP-to-DVI adapter I've run across, the USB connection is only there for extra power beyond what DisplayPort can supply. You should be OK connecting the USB cord to a powered hub, phone charger, or other source of USB power; it doesn't need to go directly to the computer.

That's great info - thanks! I tried hooking up my 2405FPW via DVI and it really looks like crap. I might have to spring for the Apple monitor just for the docking convenience

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

bacon! posted:

That's great info - thanks! I tried hooking up my 2405FPW via DVI and it really looks like crap. I might have to spring for the Apple monitor just for the docking convenience

Wait what? How does it look like crap? You don't need DL DVI to drive that 2405.

Aug 14, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've been using a 52" Sharp Aquos as a monitor but I can't go past 1400x1050 resolution in games or in windows without it getting jerky as hell (not GPU related, 560 Ti). Playing FPS games especially I can feel some input lag, so I'm thinking of going the Korean monitor route. I'm not a pro gamer or anything but the whole reason I'm doing this is because of the input lag, does an IPS monitor approach anywhere near large screen TV lag?

I've read the OP but since I'm in southern Arkansas finding somewhere to go into a store and see for myself isn't an option.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

298298 posted:

I've been using a 52" Sharp Aquos as a monitor but I can't go past 1400x1050 resolution in games or in windows without it getting jerky as hell (not GPU related, 560 Ti). Playing FPS games especially I can feel some input lag, so I'm thinking of going the Korean monitor route. I'm not a pro gamer or anything but the whole reason I'm doing this is because of the input lag, does an IPS monitor approach anywhere near large screen TV lag?

I've read the OP but since I'm in southern Arkansas finding somewhere to go into a store and see for myself isn't an option.

It'll be less; I have no issues with a U3011 which is a 30" 2560x1600 display. Smaller displays like the U2312HM don't even give two fucks about input lag. I'm sure the goons who've bought the Korean 27s will post, but I'm pretty sure they'll report little-to-no input lag, especially compared to a standard HDTV.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

ColHannibal posted:

Ive got a 1080p Samsung with 120hz. I have most my stuff limited to 120fps, wouldn't I see a problem when dropping to 60hz as I max out that 120 on some things?
My point was more a comment on your statement that there wasn't much reason to upgrade. You can get a 120hz 2560x1440 27" IPS, which I guarantee you will look night-and-day better than your Samsung, for $550. It may not be in your budget, but it'd be hands down a better monitor. Well, minus the stand--those Korean ones all have poo poo for stands.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

298298 posted:

The Korean monitors almost universally have fairly good input lag--certainly better than your TV if it's enough that you actually notice it. A big part of the reason is because the monitors lack any sort of scaler, and do virtually no processing of the video signal whatsoever. Upside is good performance. Downside is you're not going to be able to use it with anything other than a computer: if it can't output a native 2560x1440 signal, it simply won't work. So that means no Xbox, PS3, or a whole bunch of laptops. Won't be an issue if you just want to plug it in to your desktop and nothing else, but I figured I'd mention it.

Aug 14, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I don't actually have to use it at its native resolution on a PC though, do I? My eyesight is terrible. I'd only want to use 2560x1440 for a game that only rendered the models at that but not the UI.

^^^vvv Thanks for the help.

298298 fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 13, 2012

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

298298 posted:

I don't actually have to use it at its native resolution on a PC though, do I? My eyesight is terrible. I'd only want to use 2560x1440 for a game that only rendered the models at that but not the UI.

Your graphics card can handle scaling on a PC.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

298298 posted:

You can scale with your GPU if you so wish; it'll be configurable in your control panel applet.

Aug 14, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
One last question, is it just random if you get a tempered glass model? I'm leaning towards a Crossover due to the better stand but no auction specifies and just says they don't bother with sending specific models? I really don't want glass/reflections.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-CROSSOV...=item20c41f071d

The only thing this one says is Hi Glossy, but somewhere in the thread people were saying there were both glossy combined with tempered glass versions.

298298 fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jul 13, 2012

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Pretty certain that sellers specifically mention it if it's a tempered glass model, since they're more expensive and have their own specific issues (dust under the glass).

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

Wait what? How does it look like crap? You don't need DL DVI to drive that 2405.

It's noticeably blurry and not very bright. I have a windows PC hooked up via DVI and it looks great. Could it be because I'm going from Thunderbolt -> VGA via a minidisplayport adapter? I'll see if it looks the same with DVI this evening.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

298298 posted:

One last question, is it just random if you get a tempered glass model? I'm leaning towards a Crossover due to the better stand but no auction specifies and just says they don't bother with sending specific models? I really don't want glass/reflections.
The link in the OP about the different trim types is pretty informative: http://www.swiftworld.net/2012/04/14/budget-korean-27-ips-monitor-information-and-comparison-of-the-different-brands-and-models/

If you read though, you'll see that some models/trim are specifically tempered glass, while the rest are not.

bacon! posted:

It's noticeably blurry and not very bright. I have a windows PC hooked up via DVI and it looks great. Could it be because I'm going from Thunderbolt -> VGA via a minidisplayport adapter? I'll see if it looks the same with DVI this evening.
Problem found! Use HDMI/DVI and then let us know how you make out.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

bacon! posted:

The 2405 probably has unique settings for VGA and DVI so if you adjusted brightness, contrast, color, etc for DVI, you might not get the same settings for VGA. However, you should be using DVI anyway.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

ColHannibal posted:

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

ColHannibal posted:

I'm not exactly sure what your question is? Are you asking if 60 fps, which is what you'd be limited to at 60hz, looks noticeably worse than 120 fps? If so, the answer is no, once you're past a certain point you get diminishing returns when it comes to fps gains.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
What happens when triple buffering and the frame rate falls below the refresh rate? It doesn't fall to 1/2 refresh right?

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

I use my PC for general applications use such as gaming, internet activity and multimedia viewing. My current setup is:
Samsung 2243bw 22" wide(1680x1050)
LG Flattron L222WT 22" wide(1440x900) [it's capable of 1680x1050 but a driver update made that resolution too big for the screen]
ATI Radeon HD Asus EAH4870 DK/HTDI/1GD5

I want to replace the LG with a screen capable of being viewed when not sitting in front of it and assume this requires an IPS w/ 178/178 viewing angles. I see there is a significant price increase when going from 24" to 27" models. If I want something larger than 24" for multimedia purposes I'm wondering if I might not be better served by purchasing a cheaper monitor for personal use when at my desk and an HDTV for when I'm not.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
The price jump is a lot smaller when you buy one of the $300 27" Korean monitors off of eBay.

But if you just want to watch video, a TV will serve you just fine.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

What happens when triple buffering and the frame rate falls below the refresh rate? It doesn't fall to 1/2 refresh right?
No, it will not. If you have VSync enabled, with triple buffering you'll lose some FPS, but not a whole lot. If you have VSync without triple buffering, you can (in some cases) lose up to 1/2, which is probably what you're thinking about. But if you're the type of person who is looking towards 120Hz for the performance edge, methinks you probably don't play with VSync enabled to begin with, so it's a moot point.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Steakandchips posted:

1. Right click desktop.
2. Click Screen Resolution.
3. Click monitor in question.
4. Click Orientation drop down menu and change from Landscape to Portrait.
Not quite what I was asking, but thanks for the attempt.

Zhentar posted:

This post suggests WinSplit will do what you want. There isn't a way to do it built-in.
Awesome, I'll check it out! Thanks!

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Zhentar posted:

The price jump is a lot smaller when you buy one of the $300 27" Korean monitors off of eBay.

But if you just want to watch video, a TV will serve you just fine.

Is there a recommended model? I assume they would not have a monitor, then again a Dell 27" would costs three times as much for a three year warranty...

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Corte posted:

Is there a recommended model? I assume they would not have a monitor, then again a Dell 27" would costs three times as much for a three year warranty...
The OP has some good information, including this link that lists the differences between a bunch of models.

I'm deciding between a Korean 27" and a U2412M. Are there any models of those Korean monitors that have more or fewer stories about bad pixels? What's the worst someone has gotten with the perfect pixel listings?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Captain Cool posted:

I'm deciding between a Korean 27" and a U2412M. Are there any models of those Korean monitors that have more or fewer stories about bad pixels? What's the worst someone has gotten with the perfect pixel listings?
Not really--they're all pretty much the same. Most people who have sprung for the perfect pixel option have, indeed, gotten a monitor with no defects. I think the most someone has reported was one or two dead pixels around the periphery. If I were going to buy one, I'd pay the extra $20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
At the size and density of the 27" displays, you're honestly probably not even going to notice a few dead pixels. I think I saw a few on mine when I first looked at it, but I haven't even noticed them in the past week and I'm usually pretty anal about that sort of thing.