Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Filboid Studge posted:

I want Shine to shout at that guy. Seriously, what the gently caress.

For someone who isn't American and doesn't understand what he was referring to, what was so gross about that post?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

mindphlux posted:

speaking of which, he replies like within an hour to my (much better worded and properly capitalized+punctuated version) of the above question.

Oh what, you'll do it for Ruhlman but we're not important enough? :mad:

I've been in Tijuana for a day and eaten ceviche and/or aguachile at three food carts. Mostly local clams, they have chocoláte ones that are the size of a fist but really tender plus pata de mula which are blood red inside. Also had manta ray and tuna fin soup. Dinner last night was at Misión 19, Javier Plascencia's newest place, and the tasting menu was the equal of any high-end place in Vegas. 8 courses with wine and beer pairings and coffee, $115 apiece.

People need to go to Tijuana for food. It's a great town, and feels just as safe as any big city in the US.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
What is YLLS?

At some point in time I need to graduate from GWS, and broaden my horizon.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You Look Like poo poo. Home of getting healthy and dressing well. Also home of low carb diets and people wearing mime shirts with skinny jeans.

The What are You Wearing Today thread is one of my favorites on the forums. In between a few well dressed individuals you have lots of sartorial disasters.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
You Look Like poo poo, formerly known as Watch and Weight. The SA subforum for clothes, squats and protein shakes.

Dirty Phil
Jul 3, 2012

bartolimu posted:

Oh what, you'll do it for Ruhlman but we're not important enough? :mad:

I've been in Tijuana for a day and eaten ceviche and/or aguachile at three food carts. Mostly local clams, they have chocoláte ones that are the size of a fist but really tender plus pata de mula which are blood red inside. Also had manta ray and tuna fin soup. Dinner last night was at Misión 19, Javier Plascencia's newest place, and the tasting menu was the equal of any high-end place in Vegas. 8 courses with wine and beer pairings and coffee, $115 apiece.

People need to go to Tijuana for food. It's a great town, and feels just as safe as any big city in the US.

When I was down in Oaxaca a number of years ago we ate fabulously for very cheap. Nice restaurants and mole like you wouldn't believe. I never realized how many different flavors of mole there are. I don't know how safe it is there anymore though... :stare:

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

close to toast posted:

Has anyone here ever experienced steaks tasting distinctly soapy?

I was proud of myself for having (finally) settled the butter/no butter debate with my husband when searing rib-eyes, got a great crust on medium rare, and then the meat tastes of soap. Wtf. A bit of googling tells me improper aging is the most likely cause.

Edit: obv in the 'no butter unless at the very end' camp

What was the cut? Were they supposed to be "aged" steaks? Did you get them in a cryovac or styrofoam? Did you age them at all in your fridge? Were you using a very old nonstick pan? Was it a cast iron pan that hadn't been used in ages? Were you flipping with a rubber/plastic spatula? What (if anything) did you put in the pan, other than butter at the end? Do you use hand sanitizer a lot? How well do you wash your hands?

These would be the usual suspects. I think it's far more likely that something was on your steak, not in your steak.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
God, I remember I used to be such a shitposter in W&W back when I was in really good shape and ate well.

Now I look at a bag of chips and think, "That could be two beers I drink later."

Not sure if life has improved since then...

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

You Look Like poo poo. Home of getting healthy and dressing well. Also home of low carb diets and people wearing mime shirts with skinny jeans.

The What are You Wearing Today thread is one of my favorites on the forums. In between a few well dressed individuals you have lots of sartorial disasters.

And every once in a while, some 'Yad lad's nads. I laugh so goddamned hard every time those pop up. I don't think there's been an incidence in that thread since Wayne Gretzky's magnum opus all over the forums, but I can remember a couple of times, including the time the thread got its current title. I don't read that thread mind you, I just wait for the balls to be linked :allears:.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

close to toast posted:

Has anyone here ever experienced steaks tasting distinctly soapy?

Did you put cilantro on them?

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.

Steakandchips posted:

Did you put cilantro on them?

He didn't say that it tasted like the best thing ever.

close to toast
Dec 12, 2006

Wroughtirony posted:

What was the cut? Were they supposed to be "aged" steaks? Did you get them in a cryovac or styrofoam? Did you age them at all in your fridge? Were you using a very old nonstick pan? Was it a cast iron pan that hadn't been used in ages? Were you flipping with a rubber/plastic spatula? What (if anything) did you put in the pan, other than butter at the end? Do you use hand sanitizer a lot? How well do you wash your hands?

These would be the usual suspects. I think it's far more likely that something was on your steak, not in your steak.

They were rib eyes and the answer to all of the other questions is no. Bought them yesterday from a local market, used an all clad saute pan/finished in oven, flipped with metal tongs, used a bit of coconut oil, clean hands, clean kitchen, no hand sanitizer, etc.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

close to toast posted:

They were rib eyes and the answer to all of the other questions is no. Bought them yesterday from a local market, used an all clad saute pan/finished in oven, flipped with metal tongs, used a bit of coconut oil, clean hands, clean kitchen, no hand sanitizer, etc.
YOU'RE LYING! TELL THE TRUTH! HOW DID YOU COOK THOSE STEAKS?!

VVV I'm not! I'm impugning you! That reminds me: I like using the words repugned and impugnant.

therattle fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 13, 2012

close to toast
Dec 12, 2006

do Not impugne the beef

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

DekeThornton posted:

For someone who isn't American and doesn't understand what he was referring to, what was so gross about that post?

Leafy greens should not come in cans. Vegetables, in general, aren't very good out of a can, but especially leafy greens.

Also dude is on an all-fast food diet in an attempt to get swole.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Drink and Fight posted:

Leafy greens should not come in cans. Vegetables, in general, aren't very good out of a can, but especially leafy greens.

the goony grail.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Drink and Fight posted:

He's cultivating mass, dammit!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Is "swole" just shorthand for "muscular?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Scientastic posted:

Yes and no. It can also refer to being strong without a focus on hypertrophy. Also, muscular can imply low body fat and swole has nothing really to do with body fat and more with just sheer muscle mass for your size. But it's more of just a term we use as sort of an identifier for the community.

VVV Haha what.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 13, 2012

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Scientastic posted:

No, because "swole" has connotations from the american prison system.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Halalelujah posted:

No, because "swole" has connotations from the american prison system.

Hey I heard you got an Emmy or something.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Seems more like "lardass justifying eating bacon for every meal "

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Drink and Fight posted:

Hey I heard you got an Emmy or something.

Don't jinx me, only nominations.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Puppy's going to Chicago for the weekend. Going to be all alone tomorrow night, but not Saturday, thank goodness. And Sunday, I've got a friend coming over who I haven't seen in ages. So Friday night, I'll just take a sleeping pill, and conk out once I get home. I hate it when he leaves town. :mad:

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Rurutia posted:

Yes and no. It can also refer to being strong without a focus on hypertrophy. Also, muscular can imply low body fat and swole has nothing really to do with body fat and more with just sheer muscle mass for your size. But it's more of just a term we use as sort of an identifier for the community.

VVV Haha what.

i think it's the opposite. swole is strong with a decided focus on hypertrophy. you know the obvious etymology of it?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I was talking about what people refer to in YLLS when talking about swole. That's why I said 'also'. As in it can refer to two sides of the same coin.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I thought swole was the name of a lovely gbs poster who bought banner ads trying to sell a weight loss diet or something.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Halalelujah posted:

Don't jinx me, only nominations.

The hello kitty sparkling wine bottle, however, that's yours to keep.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

I thought swole was the name of a lovely gbs poster who bought banner ads trying to sell a weight loss diet or something.
He is a personal trainer. He took the name from the use of the word on the forums, i think. It's a bit like someone setting up "Pr0k's Mom Massage Parlour". Swole is a funny word.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
OK, added myself to awful yearbook. D:

I find it really depressing when my Indian compatriots over in the Midwest start to cook like those people. I just got off the phone with S---- Aunty, who was raving about this casserole she figured out how to make using "That soup cook book. You know the one from the Campbell's? It's so much easier than spending all that time with getting fresh onions, and ginger, and garlic, and making the masala every time!" It involved corn flakes, and cream of sodium soup.

T_T

This is a woman who can crank out North OR South Indian food with equal ease, and make it correctly. And then she was telling her daughter about this great new "Crock Pot Pot Roast! You just throw the beef in there, and turn it on for 6 hours! It's done when you get home!" It involved more cream of sodium soup, and stock cubes, and some salt, for seasoning.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Dino - For me, cooking is a magical fantasyland where I get to experiment and futz around with expensive ingredients as I create new concoctions to fill my fat gullet. I often share these creations with friends and we all have a nice time enjoying the output of my labors over a few beers or some wine.

I am not a mom. I am not responsible for feeding, clothing, bathing, and otherwise maintaining a semblance of humanity to a pack of starving, vicious feral children who like to shriek and throw poo poo around and generally act like monsters for much of the day. I am not responsible for putting three meals on the table every single day of the week and making sure that I don't go over my food budget or buy entirely twinkies for the month or do other catastrophic things. My horrible little poop machines need a balanced mix of proteins and veggies in order to grow up enough that I can shove them out of the house and rest for a bit, but that's decades away. Until then, I have to muddle through with whatever I can put together that is hot, fast and cheap but also isn't entirely made of congealed grease and oh little Timmy cries to the uncaring fates if you feed him mushrooms and darling little Lisa won't eat green beans because "they have fur on them" and my husband just wants steak and potatoes every night because he's totally unadventurous and if I start drinking now I will never ever stop. :stare:

That's the environment my mom and her mom and all the women around her learned to cook in - hot, fast, cheap. If you had spent most of your life dicking about with sauces and chopping ingredients and having to make things the slow way can you imagine what a revelation it would be that you could grab a can and slop it into a pot and have a hot meal ready for your family in a few hours? Holy poo poo, it's magic! You might even get to sit down briefly before the babies start howling for feeding time or your toddlers wake up from their naps and try to murder each other. gently caress yes I'm going to ditch my traditional slowass bullshit way of making meals and move right into the land of opportunity. Sign me up!

We're all in a pretty cool place right now - thanks to the Internet we can share the techniques used by our moms (and dads) for making things the slow way with each other so that these skills don't die out. Video recorders are now dirt cheap so getting live video footage of grandma making her special almond roca recipe is a no-brainer. I'm super happy to be learning to cook and getting to do it as a hobby rather than as an (at least) thrice-daily chore.

No disrespect is intended, I'm going by how I grew up and watching the women around me. They were nuts for time savers and shortcut cooking precisely because they already spent a ton of their day in the kitchen. Any way to cut down that time was welcomed.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Wife is reading 'poo poo my dad says' and has asked me if I am ready for that kind of book when my kids grow up...

I told her that I didn't really trust that they had an attention span long enough to be able to actually write a book, considering that they still are unable to command the use of a simple loving fork when eating.

I have started saving for psycho therapy for them, no worries.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I am generally a happy go lucky, love everybody sort.

But good, gently caress EC forever I'm glad the motherfucker lost.
drat I need to check GWS more often. What a thread.

There are more offensive posters in terms of what they actually believe, but I'm just astounded how insufferable another human being can be, all along while his behavior is pointed out repeatedly by a large swath of the community he wants to be a part of. I don't know what mental block you must have to be this oblivious in how you present yourself.

I just finished ~4 years of employment with the worst boss I've ever had, and yet I'd chose him over having to work alongside EC at any point.

Whoops, that's negativity, man....

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Misanthrope-

Your tagline is exactly what goes through my mind when I look at your userpic. Is that intentional irony or am I supposed to find smug cheffy chef to be somehow menacing and/or badass? Are you smug cheffy chef? Thanks for your explanation, I can be a little slow sometimes and I really need to figure out which snap judgment to apply to you based on your av/tagline choice.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Wroughtirony posted:

Misanthrope-

Your tagline is exactly what goes through my mind when I look at your userpic. Is that intentional irony or am I supposed to find smug cheffy chef to be somehow menacing and/or badass? Are you smug cheffy chef? Thanks for your explanation, I can be a little slow sometimes and I really need to figure out which snap judgment to apply to you based on your av/tagline choice.
You were his boss, weren't you?

You might be happy to know that you're not actually missing the best shedder season ever, by the way. They were a couple weeks early, in record numbers, and boat price was a couple bucks a pound for a few days. Pound-and-a-quarters were selling for $4/lb. retail.
Then the buyers got greedy and tried to drop the price to under $1.75, which meant people wouldn't make any really money after fuel costs, the lobstermen all got pissed and the whole coast is shut down.

I can't get any lobsters because there are too many of them.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Wroughtirony posted:

Misanthrope-

Uh, isn't the avatar a young Bourdain?

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.

Oh god having kids doesn't have to be this way. Granted I only have one (almost 5 years old), but we just went to the store this morning and she begged me to buy bok choy and asparagus (I did)! Also when I tell her to do something she usually responds, "Yes mom," and loving does whatever I tell her to. You can choose how you want to raise your kid(s) and ensure that they aren't awful banshees. Plus you can have them in the kitchen with you and pass down your amazing recipes/techniques.

It's not so bad.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Walk Away posted:

Oh god having kids doesn't have to be this way. Granted I only have one (almost 5 years old), but we just went to the store this morning and she begged me to buy bok choy and asparagus (I did)! Also when I tell her to do something she usually responds, "Yes mom," and loving does whatever I tell her to. You can choose how you want to raise your kid(s) and ensure that they aren't awful banshees. Plus you can have them in the kitchen with you and pass down your amazing recipes/techniques.

It's not so bad.

You're a loving prick.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Walk Away posted:

It's not so bad.

lol

emeraldcity alternate account spotted :siren: :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Walk Away posted:

That's awesome! :hfive: I spent a little time in the kitchen with my mom but usually it was safer for my sister and I to entertain ourselves somewhere outside of that hallowed domain. Unless it was time to lick the beaters, then you better get the hell out of our way because there's icing on them thar beaters and you best step off son. :btroll: